1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

My Chennai Express experience...

Discussion in 'Chennai Express Member Reviews' started by Debbie, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

***Spoilers***

Went Thursday with my grandson (he's 8) theater was almost completely full..Trevor laughed, I laughed and the audience was cracking up...good time. Went again today by myself...easier to watch when I'm not helping read the subs out to Trevor.

Loved it! What a cute fun movie! It is exactly what Shah Rukh said it was a light comedy with a love story running through it. And done very well. I am not a big fan of Rohitt's movies, have watched or at least tried to watch some but they are just too dumb to me. But I felt this was done very well. Just an easy breezy movie to enjoy on a hot day in Tampa, FL. No hidden meaning, no life lesson, (though I did like the speech SRK makes about girls should be free too) just fun!

I loved the references to Shah's movies, even cracked up at the "My name is Rahul & I am not a Terrorist" line. And the "Bazigaar" & OSO! What a hoot!

What I came away with is Shah Rukh Khan is India's son, father, brother and friend. Everyone got the references, of all the movies! He should have no doubt he is loved by his fellow Indians.

From the fun times they had (showed on the previews prior) I had a feeling this was gonna be a blast and I was right. When actors have so much fun creating something it is almost always good. But SRK blew me away, he is just too, too talented an actor. To be able to portray someone as evil and conniving as "Don" and then to play this goofy, wimpy, loser, (and be adorable doing it) just shows how good he really is. Shah Rukh Khan never fails to amaze me.

Some things I really loved, the beginning train scene take off of DDLJ, also when Meena tells him to shake his head a certain way and Rahul just gets in trouble both times! The scene with the 300 steps, this is when Meena realizes there is more to this relationship, oh and she is too funny when talking in her sleep(?) and kicks Rahul in the butt! I would never kick that man out of my bed! The little boy standing up to the baddie. "Never under estimate the Power of the Common Man" I could go on....
    His speech at the end is wonderful and my grandson thought the fight scene with the fire behind him was way too cool.

Things I didn't like no subs to the songs....real bummer!
    Ending fight scene a little too much, but am kind of used to it in Bollywood movies now....

For some reason this reminded me of the old black & white movies I used to watch with Tracy and Hepburn when I was a kid, always bickering but ending up together, and for some reason "It Happened One Night" with Clark Gable, both Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable were wonderful actors in both comedy and drama, maybe that's why....not sure.

I am glad he made this movie, it just showed me another side of him that I hadn't seen for a long time. I hope he continues to make different films, funny, love stories, and serious. It shows what a wonderful talent he is. And I think it helps him to grow as an actor, getting out of the box and trying something different.
    You can never get bored being a Shah Rukh Khan fan! Who knows what will be next!

Definitely recommend it!

mira_khan, Anjali72, Sofie and 7 others thanked this.
  2. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Lovely review Debbie! :thumb:
    You have obviously approached it with open mind and heart, considering its not your type of movie. I agree with all you have to say, though I must admit that at my first viewing I came away disappointed. It could be that the cinema was nearly empty (mid-day, mid-week in Canberra is not a good time) and I now realise that I missed quite a bit of the humour when I didn't even realise it was meant to be funny until I heard the audience react on my 2 and 3rd viewings.

Now remind me which were the Baazigar and OSO references. I heard RNBDJ, Dil Se and MNIK and a couple of others I've forgotten. Was Baazigar the one just before [SPOILER: Tingu starts singing in Hindi? END SPOILER]

"What I came away with is Shah Rukh Khan is India's son, father, brother and friend." - you should add "and phantom lover" :madgrin:

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  3. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Yes, if I remember right...I know the OSO is Tingu. I will be seeing again I'm sure too. How 'bout dream lover? He is definitely mine..... 12676328-heart-in-fire-illustration-on-white-background-for-design.jpg

4. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Ok! Dream Lover it is! :becky:

Debbie says thanks.
  5. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Okay, now you have me wondering a little bit. I will be going to see it tomorrow and think I need to take written notes!! I caught a lot of the homages paid to his films but not sure if I missed any! Too much happening all at once! Now need to see it again!

Debbie says thanks.
  6. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I know what you mean...I think I remember all, but definitely will see again...as always I can't wait for the DVD. For some reason I can really get into the movie when I get that....boy wish I could learn Hindi. But think I am way too old to learn now....

7. MaryAnnK

Learning a new language is good exercise for the brain. I got Rosetta Stone and absolutely love how I have been able to learn/absorb the language!!
    You can do it, and then you have homework too! Just watch a SRK film and listen for those new words!

8. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

It's really working for you? I just don't feel I will be able to learn it.

9. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

I'm trying - have been for a couple of years. Its damn hard! The brain cells and memory aren't what they used to be. :rolleyes:

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  10. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Saw the film again today - caught the Baazigar part (can't believe I didn't pick it before.)
    Could that be Chamak Challo that Tangaballi sings? Its hard to make out with that gruff voice he has.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  11. MaryAnnK

The first thing I did was print up the songs from Bollywhat? and followed along when they were singing. I was really studying and breaking up the words, even though I didn't know what they were saying. The more I listened, the more I began to hear. I have a 3 inch ring binder full of printouts of the songs from where ever I can find them, even here on this site. This is like my workbook!

Check it out:
    http://www.bollywhat.com/film_index.html

Anjali72 and Debbie thank this.
  12. kahaanii2802

kahaanii2802 Pagal Naanii

Don't be silly, of course you can learn it. And Rosetta Stone ist really good. Just start with it. I did it - at my age! - and still love it, although I might never be able to practise it in real, but it really helps a lot with the movies.

MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  13. Sofie

Sofie Well-Known Member

Wonderful review Debbie. Thanks for sharing it.:) It's a clean entertaining film which can be watched with our family & I'm glad I took my 6 year old nephew along with me for the first time. He too enjoyed the film so much. He keep on talking so loud about SRK & his scenes after we walked out from the theatre until I have to calm him down. Luckily he watched the film quietly in theatre as I've warned him earlier not to make too much noise.:p Now the problem is he's keen to watch Krrish 3 after he saw the theatrical trailer. I'm going to watch CE again tomorrow with my whole family.:D

Alenka, Debbie and MaryAnnK thank this.
  14. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

ahhhh i just love that movie yaar :love:

15. MaryAnnK

I am watching it on Netflix just now! I really like it when the "newness" wears off and I can stop reading subtitles and really watch the film! There is usually more going on in the background than one can catch the first few times threw! My husband finally heard the words "Miss Subtitle!" I caught it the first time and really enjoyed it when he said it! Still now familiar with Tamil though.

16. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

oh i also enjoy paying more attention to the background stuff! when the movie is new naturally u pay more attention to the storyline, subtitles... but it's so nice to see things u haven't noticed the first (few) time(s) :biggrin1: arre yaar we'll never be familiar with tamil :lol: even those who speak hindi find it really hard to follow

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  17. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

I didn't like this movie at all, was kind of boring

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2016