1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Muslim crew of Karan Johar's movie denied US visa

Discussion in 'My Name Is Khan' started by Becy, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Becy

Becy Well-Known Member

Muslim crew of Karan Johar's movie denied US visa

By: Shaheen ParkarDate: 2008-12-23
    Mumbai:

Six Muslim members of Karan Johar's My Name Is Khan unit were denied US visas

Several Muslim members of Karan Johar's My Name Is Khan unit have been denied US visas post the terror attacks in Mumbai. The American consulate rejected six applications even though some had travelled to the US before.

My Name Is Khan starring Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol is currently being filmed in Los Angeles. Among those who the US consulate said no to include SRK's personal staff, actor Aamir Bashir and other Muslim members from KJo's production team.

It is learnt that the MNIK crew was surprised when they realised that their applications had been rejected and so was Karan, as they were all part of the ensemble cast.

Elizabeth Kauffman, spokesperson of the US consulate, says, "As a policy, we don't talk about any specific visa cases."

Says a source, "Those who were denied the visa tried to reason that it was only for a film shoot. They proved their bonafides and made it clear that they were actors. The fact that they were part of a unit that had leading B-Town names like KJo and SRK also did not help."

Adds a source close to Aamir Bashir, "The US consulate had reservations about a certain country Aamir had visited in the past even though it was explained that it was for work purposes."

Meanwhile, the rejected members have submitted fresh applications. They are hoping to be second-time lucky.
    My Name Is Khan has Shah Rukh play the protagonist Rizvan Khan and the message that runs through the film is in support of humanity which is the way to rise above cultural or religious differences. But ironically, the cast and crew is already a victim of it!

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2008/dec/231208-Mumbai-terror-attacks-Karan-Johar-Shah-Rukh-Khan-Kajol-Aamir-Bashir-Rizvan-Khan-Bollywood.htm

2. Becy

Becy Well-Known Member

Aamir Bashir denied US visa

The visa authorities got suspicious since he hadn’t mentioned his Iran visit in the application form. He was to shoot with Karan Johar from early January in Los Angeles

By Parag Maniar
    Posted On Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 02:20:38 AM

The changed geo-political environment could yet jeopardise Karan Johar’s latest film. For one of his lead actors Aamir Bashir, last seen in A Wednesday, has been denied the US visa.

Bashir plays Shah Rukh Khan’s younger brother in My Name Is Khan, a loosely-based reinterpretation of Dustin Hoffman-Tom Cruise starrer Rainman. Shah Rukh Khan is already in Los Angeles where the shoot is underway and Bashir is supposed to join the crew in the first week of January.

However the actor was in for a shock when his visa application was rejected ostensibly on the ground that he had omitted to mention that he has travelled to Iran in the past.

A source from the film’s unit told us that Bashir was given the yellow letter that mentions the list of reasons why he was refused the US visa. “The letter only said that the application will undergo administrative process and that the clearance from the US State Department was awaited. It usually takes around 3-6 weeks for the clearance to come through,” said the source.

“The authorities from the consulate asked Aamir why he had not mentioned Iran in the list of countries that he had visited.”

Bashir had visited Iran to discuss a film with Iranian director Majid Majidi. Interestingly, Majidi too is scheduled to be in the US around the same time that Bashir is supposed to be there. The Iranian maestro will be in the US to promote his film, Song of the Sparrows, for the Oscars.

When contacted, Aamir Bashir for whom My Name Is Khan will be his first foray in a big banner Bollywood project, said, “Yes, I have been refused the US visa. It is also true that I was questioned about why I hadn’t mentioned about my visit to Iran in the application form. I told them that it was a simple oversight. However, I do not wish to say anything more at this point.”

• I was questioned about why I hadn’t mentioned about my visit to Iran in the application form

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/2008122320081223022038533f1bbed4b/Aamir-Bashir-denied-US-visa

3. SWEET

SWEET ♥Panorama♥

OMG hope the will have there visa sooon yaar :(

4. Becy

Becy Well-Known Member

I find it quite ironic that they have difficulties with their visa, when they are planning to go to the US to make a film about exactly those problems; and now they are facing it themselves.

Karan is spot-on with the topic of this movie, it seems. :/

5. irene

irene Active Member

maybe they can do some shots at a different place later? movie people are clever

6. Suhana2000

Suhana2000 Yvonne-SRKfan

What's this for sh......:mad:Hope they get their visa. :hail:They are only actors and Terrorists. Why they make such a trouble? Thy make it's complicated forthe movie shoot. They are only............actors.

:pray:please American consulate, give them their visa.

7. GemaSRK

GemaSRK Well-Known Member

I only can praying
    I wish all this trouble fast finished :pray:

8. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

9. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

This is so ironic in a sad kind of way....

BTW... MNIK is based on Rainman? What the fish?

10. mj1984

mj1984 Active Member

lol so funny. they will stop actors but when actual terrorists come they won't even know. fools.

11. Laima

Laima New Member

I couldn't agree more. The easiest thing to do is to abuse innocent people, while the bad ones will find a way to get in. Appalling! They should add this incident to the movie, or at least to the bonus feature on the DVD. :doh:

12. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

this is so sick.. :mad:
    just because they are MUSLIMS, doesnt mean they are terroristes!

13. dilos

dilos Well-Known Member

Especially young men always have hard times at the doors of consulates of western countries ..this may not only due to terror but because of lots of fugitive immigrants dying to work and make a living there..so I find ourselves -the third world people- also to blame ..
    the west tries to slow it down but any wish or evil can find its way to anywhere once determined and the poor ones who likes to travel, visit family etc have to struggle harder and harder to get these visas everyother day..

14. dilos

dilos Well-Known Member

You are right and I hope the film My name is Khan can change at least some of the peoples minds ..

15. jg2k

jg2k The.One

What an irony! The real terrorists however always get away!

And how pathetic of them to equate a Muslim with a terrorist...
    I hope they won't be denied VISA the second time...

16. Basma

Basma Active Member

so now they will stop everyone who visited iran or pakistan? caution is good but this is utterly stupid specially after they've submitted all proof they were their for filming.

17. JohnyDee

JohnyDee New Member

...if we are to define "terrorist" I'm afraid the label would really point to the USA to begin with, among others:tape2: we're not saints but we like to blame others for retaliating.:rolleyes:

18. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

this article is a sour fact of sadness and todays society on muslims i cant wait for this movie inshallah it will be great and will have a strong message

19. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

so so TRUE
    not because they are Muslims means that they are terrorists
    how silly, just silly

hope everything work out and soon

20. maira

maira SRK-fanatic

yeah!!..i sure hope soo too!!..:pray2:...inshahALlah things will change for better verrrry soon!!..:)..