1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Reviews of Dulha Mil Gaya

Discussion in 'Dulha Mil Gaya' started by Bridget, Jan 7, 2010.

1. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

Masand's movie review: Watch Dulha Mil Gaya for Sush

Rajeev Masand / CNN-IBN

Published on Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 22:29 in Entertainment section

Dulha Mil Gaya starring Fardeen Khan and Sushmita Sen, has been four years in the making, but has arrived almost fifteen years too late. A predictable old-fashioned entertainer that's a throwback to those homogenous family films of the mid-90s, Dulha Mil Gaya borrows so much from the Yash Chopra/Karan Johar school of synthetic filmmaking that it's hard to tell if there's anything original to this story at all.

Fardeen Khan stars as NRI playboy Donzai, who must marry the village bumpkin his dead father has chosen for him if he wants access to his $5-billion inheritance. He arrives in Punjab and weds simple desi girl Samarpreet (played by newcomer Ishita Sharma), who is way too conservative and unpolished for his tastes. Marriage solemnised, Donzai leaves his new wife back in the village and returns alone to Trinidad where he continues with his wild, partying ways.

Samarpreet, not one to give up easily, lands up in Trinidad a few months later, and discovers the cad has forgotten her. Fortunately she bumps into supermodel Shimmer (played by Sushmita Sen) who gives her a complete make-over, down to a wardrobe of cleavage-baring dresses and table manners to boot.

Expectedly, Donzai falls for her in this new avatar, and the couple is happily reunited. In the end, Samarpreet returns the favour to Shimmer by enlightening her that nothing is more important than love, and by convincing her to not let go of her doting boyfriend (played by Shah Rukh Khan).

Co-written by debutant director Mudassar Aziz, the screenplay of Dulha Mil Gaya skittles from cliché to cliché, packing in every stereotype you can think of - from a gay butler named Lotus, to a karva chauth ceremony that ends with Shah Rukh making an entry accompanied by swelling background score.

What saves this film from complete disappointment is Sushmita Sen, who in a stroke of casting genius, plays an exaggerated version of herself, delivering an inspired performance as the snootiest, ditziest diva with the funniest lines you can think of.

On entering the first-class cabin of an airline and spotting a small-town simpleton in her neighboring seat, Shimmer knowingly declares, "Aah, upgraded passenger!"

Dulha Mil Gaya is well-worn, formulaic fare that might appeal to viewers who find comfort in the familiar, and who are still excited by those hackneyed stories about righteous Indian girls who show materialistic NRI boys the error of their ways.

I'm going with two out of five for director Mudassar Aziz's Dulha Mil Gaya; if it's not entirely unwatchable, you have Sushmita Sen to thank!

Rating: 2 / 5

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/masands-movie-review-watch-dulha-mil-gaya-for-sush/108448-8.html

2. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

3. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

damn, the ratings

yeah, I agree.

4. TeraMeraDil

TeraMeraDil Active Member

He's in Aaja Aaja Mere Ranjhna, Dilrubaon ke Jalwe, and Dulha Mil Gaya. His only full song is Dilrubaon ke jalwe

5. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Dulha Mil Gaya
    Planet Bollywood
    Reviewed by: Irene Nexica - Rating: 4.0 / 10

Producer: Viveck Vaswani
    Director: Mudassar Aziz
    Starring: Fardeen Khan, Sushmita Sen, Shahrukh Khan (Guest Appearance), Mohir Chadda Ishita Sharma, Johny Lever, Bina Kak, Suchitra Pillai, Viveck Vaswani, Howard Rosemeyer Parikshat Sahni, Anushka Manchanda, Tara Sharma
    Music: Lalit Pandit, Pritam
    Lyrics: Mudassar Aziz, Kumaar
    Genre: Comedy
    Recommended Audience: General
    Film Released on: 08 January 2010

This is the time of the year when India’s film awards are on in full force, with the first out of the box, the producer’s guild awards, happening on the same day as this film’s release. The much-anticipated Dulha Mil Gaya may here go down as the first of the worst of 2010.

Dulha Mil Gaya was hampered by all sorts of delays, taking about 3 years to shoot, and while the extra time might have resulted in a finely distilled film, this offering is a sad muddle throughout. The story lacks oomph, the pace lags early on, and you may be tempted to multitask in the theater. This is Mudassar Aziz’s first film as director, and he’s also responsible for the dialogues/screenplay. He was perhaps too close to the production (and Sushmita Sen) to have the perspective that the whole package clearly needs. The plot reads more like an overdone serial and the hack storylines aren’t relieved by much that’s fresh or fun. There’s your NRI discovering the value of the pind, the value of love, comeuppance via some disguised characters, a My Fair Lady-style transformation, the making of a proper Indian woman, and extolling marriage’s value via karva chauth blahdi blahdi blah.

There are a few issues with the characterizations – the lead roles aren’t developed enough for any one character to stand out. The story’s perspective shifts between Tej (Fardeen Khan), Sushmita Sen’s Shimmer, Samarpreet (Ishita Sharma in a debut role), and Shah Rukh Khan in a very large guest appearance. None of them are anyone you’d want to spend much time with at a cocktail party, let alone watch a loooong film about. Spray-on tan metrosexual Tej Dhanraj is a cipher of shorthand symbols – he’s rich, likes women, smoking, drinking and partying, but has something going on about his mother’s diary. He has the mannerisms but lacks the magnetism.

Sen’s Shimmer is a model, and seems to be a female version of Tej – very caught up in herself and her career, with a desire hidden so deep it takes a judgmental speech from the simple Samarpreet to shake it to the surface. She overacts throughout the film, though her character has a certain charm. Sharma’s Panjabi village girl Surpreet is syrupy, naïve, and the fount of most of the homespun wisdom about rishtas in the film.

[​IMG]

Khan sleepwalks through his characterization of Pawan/PRG, leaving the character largely a sequence of familiar gestures and glances from some of his iconic roles. Rumor has it that after agreeing to a guest appearance in a song, SRK was annoyed to find he had a full on character role, and if that’s so, it might explain what appears to be a lack of investment in the part. He’s been known to redeem otherwise wholly mundane films, but seems here to give up the ghost.

The supporting roles are a mix of stock characters, some as foils and some as very cheap comic relief, like Shimmer’s assistant Lotus, a prime example of pastel-suited gay-man-as-buffoon that I’d like to see go out of fashion very soon, and some Trinidadian servants straight out of the ole US South. And of course in the Punjab, everyone breaks out in chaotic celebration at the drop of a hat when they’re not caught up in melodramatic family affirmations. Cheap physical gags abound.

For a film set largely in the Caribbean, the cinematography falls depressingly short, with some sequences appearing out of focus and some dark and grainy. While the film opens with location overemphasis (this is reportedly the first Indian film shot in Trinidad/Tobago), which may flash you back to 2009’s Blue, it largely features underwhelming settings. The nadir occurs in the second half with “cruise ship” deck scenes which have the surreally bright lighting of a Pierre et Giles photo shoot (or perhaps Mr. Winkle) and are all clearly on an indoor set with a few helicopter shots of a generic cruise ship intercut to add credibility.

The film toys with MTV-style “hip” pacing – quick shots interspersed with stills, some black and white frames, and the occasional voiceover of a character’s name or a youthful phrase, but still manages to lag. The song sequences are largely flat and uninteresting and the title track song, which has featured widely in the film’s promotion, is cut so that it loses energy, with the momentum of the dancing sequences interrupted by shots of characters mugging at each other in an attempt to develop the storyline while the dancing is going on. This song would have been a great way to let SRK’s dancing charisma reorient this flagging cruise, and it’s lost.

The opening day audience in Mumbai virtually fled once the film’s tagline appeared to signify that we were at our port of call, and “Say yes to a relationship” is a good way to represent a film so vague it seems unaware of what it’s trying to say. Let’s keep fingers crossed for sunnier shores for the rest of the year

http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=f010910023508

6. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

not surprised by this.....i just hope the negativity won't be towards srk..cause he only has a minor role..the failure of this film should not be blamed on srk...

7. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

8. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

ouch wht? :confused2:

9. rahulsn011

rahulsn011 Well-Known Member

http://passionforcinema.com/dulha-mil-gaya-lessons-learnt/

Not much of a review but its fairly positive as others have trashed it. One thing is I have seen the movie...it isnt bad as these critics are making it out to be. Its entertaining to an extent, SRK is good. overall i give the movie 2/5. btw the new girl is extremely cute! and its unfortunate to see that fardeen was wooden throughout this movie...i think he is one actor who would do extremely well in dark films but not light films like DMG! Best thing about the movie is Sushmita Sen!

10. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

ouch.. it hurts! didn't think it woudl be soo awful!

11. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

12. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

this movie was complete torture! i couldn't even watch the whole thing.. just watched shah's parts.. but seeing the people around him wanted me to break my computer or throw it out the window. terrible, awful... i don't know what shah was thinking.. noone and NOTHING could have saved this "movie". the ONLY thing i liked was how cute shah looked in his parts. other than that..UTTER and COMPLETE DISASTER!!

13. donshema

donshema SRK is my Family

OMGGGGGGG that's not encouraging at all to watch the movie. Actually I saw the first half where there is no SRK yet, and I think the story is so typical to hundreds of movies not only in India but in other countries. Any way I still MUST see SRK .......then I'll comment. But I can't say I love the film so far but I like it somehow may be because I'm still exited to see SRK.

let me comment again after watching it........BTW: all the movies that SRK was a guest in were not good......so they ask what SRK was thinking doing this......may be he doesn't know the whole movie.....he is only concerned with his role. As in his movies army, saathyia.....others.

he said once "give me a role and I'll make it good" so I'm waiting to see that.

14. donshema

Okay....I saw the rest of the movie and actually mmmmmmm I don't know what to say. The worst moment is when I saw the scene where SRK injured his shoulder :jaw:

I thought "they must be kidding"

Is the director stupid or what? couldn't he take the shot with green screen with shah rukh tied up to not fall hard like he did. The shot didn't even show Shah jumping. OMG how stupid is that. I want to kill the director. Really, SRK didn't have to jump as we saw in the making.......I really need to kill that director.

I thought he was injured in an action scene or something, but you guys must tell me your reaction on that useless jump of shah rukh. In the making, he jumped and fell but they could do it also but with shah tied to he won't fell hard.

:frusty: :frusty: I don't believe it.......but I like Shah rukh's parts...

15. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

I must say, I'm not at all surprised with these reviews. It was expected. Funny how we knew all this before the film even released. But as Rajsrhi pointed out, it's a good thing that the reviews don't make it a Shahrukh film. In a way that also shows the dishonesty of the promotion of the film, they tried to make it look like SRK starrer and before the film released even the media thought so, but now the critics saw the film themselves and really realise that there is no point in reviewing it as SRK film...

But STILL I'm going to watch it, because Shahrukh is still there, he has several songs and I want to see him with my own eyes and not just listen to what others say...

16. donshema

SRK appears only in one song......Dulha Mil Gaya is at the end and it's not full song. How stupid is that? He is in a song called Hai Ruba but it's the best song in the movie of course.

17. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

saw the movie
    other than watching SRK's parts, the rest of the movie is a complete waste of time

18. SWEET

SWEET ♥Panorama♥

DIDNT LIKE IT ATALLLLLLLLLL BUT THE BEST OF THE MOVIE IS
    DIL RUBA AND DMG TITLE SONG WHCIE WAS THE LAST SHOWING BLOOPERS :D

19. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

You guy, I just saw that this film is playing at a theater close to me. I was excited last night and thinking that I might take my husband to see it on Monday! Then I got on here this morning and have been reading your comments1!!!!!!!!

I think I will wait and watch it after it comes out on DVD. I can truly trust your opinions and not rely on just the reviews that get published. No one is even giving it anything about a 1-2/5 and that is so sad.

20. SWEET

SWEET ♥Panorama♥

good MaryAnn keep ur husband for MNIK bass :thumb: