1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon!

Discussion in 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' started by MaryAnnK, Jan 27, 2013.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Okay, it is now on our official marathon list for commenting!
    It will be coming up at some point, so here is where we will "let it all hang out!"

I must say that now that I have watched it a few times, I am being won over! I think some of the media comments regarding Katrina Kaif had me a little jaded in her acting abilities. I saw it the first time and could not connect with either character. I just "watched" Shah Rukh! Awe!!
    Then, when I got my DVD, I started watching it again with a new take on Katrina's character. Someone here had made the comment of Jash-ji needing a British actor to carry out her role and I think that really made me watch her more closely. She nails the character quite well, I think. I am connecting with the characters with each viewing and finding that I really do like this movie.
    What a salute to Jash-ji! Jab Tak Hai Jann!!!!

Krisi_love_SRK, Lorraine and rubyroo thank this.
  2. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I am looking forward to my third time seeing JTHJ on Friday!

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  3. Xeny

Xeny ❤️‍ ART

I also would be seeing the film for the third time :)

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  4. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Mmmmmmmm, think it will be about my 30th....OK maybe not 30 but at least 20 or more, haven't kept count.....I am still listening to the CD in my car every day....it is worn out. I really loved this movie.

5. rubyroo

Tonight I watched the special features DVD. I made and posted a lot of screen caps here:
    http://www.planetsrk.com/community/...-from-special-features-dvd.28001/#post-870160
    And this is some stuff I learned about the movie:

I have heard Shah Rukh say before that in all his movies he is in love with a girl who belongs to someone else. He says that in JTHJ he is "fighting for a girl against God" who is the "ultimate lover of the world." I like that so much.

Katrina said Samar's love was "very noble and very rare." She talked about Shah Rukh's attitude as an actor "He is trying to create something." I have been struck myself from the very start with his focus on creativity. He is an artist truly. He says "I work on the walk of the character." I noticed before that each of his movie characters has his own way of walking. In JTHJ, as the young Samar he was relaxed and easygoing. When he was sitting in the church after Meera broke up with him, he got up and started walking like the young Samar but as he walked away he became tense and rigid adopting for the first time the older Samar's way of walking. (BTW, Samar means fight, battle, or war in Hindi.) Shah Rukh says that he played Samar as 2 different people. I had thought that this was yet another dual role for him.

90% of JTHJ was shot on location. Watching the location part of the DVD makes me kind of sad because Shah Rukh was quite active on Twitter at that time and it was so much fun. I miss him lots on Twitter always but even more right now.

Interesting: Shah Rukh was complaining (I think) in a joking way about the primitive conditions in Ladakh. Something about makeshift bathrooms and having to stay in tents. (Rough going for our city boy.) Then Katrina said that shooting in Ladakh was her favorite part of the whole experience. She is different than I expected...I like her much more after watching her in this DVD.

Shah Rukh said that in Kashmir he felt he was in “the strong beautiful arms” of his father. That is so Shah Rukh.

The choreographer said that Shah Rukh enjoys dancing a lot more when he is singing a song too. She said everyone stops what they are doing to watch him at times like that.

I liked seeing the making of Ishq Shava. It showed the choreographer teaching the local people how to do the dance that they performed in the song with Anushka. I just hadn't really realized that the dancers were regular Kashmiri people- children, women in their beautiful traditional clothing, boatmen and soldiers. It also showed Shah Rukh greeting crowds of Kashmiri fans and then sitting under a tree chatting with a group of young Kashmiri women. It was quite charming.

I wondered why Akira had on scrubs in the hospital scenes. (I was like did she assist with Samar's surgery??) It shows in a deleted scene that it was because her clothes were covered with blood and a nurse gave her scrubs to change into.

I used to never watch the special features for movies. Lately I've been a lot more into it. It can be quite a project and take a long time but it's worth it. I know I will appreciate the movie much more when I watch it again. Tomorrow night for sure!

6. MaryAnnK

I have found so much information by watching the special features. Not coming from a Bollywood background, they give me more insight into actors, directors, etc. This really adds to my appreciation of each film and actor.

skrogers and rubyroo thank this.
  7. rubyroo

I just wish they had subtitles in the special features. Oh well it's another reason to work on my Hindi lessons more!

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  8. rubyroo

I watched it tonight. Shah Rukh really was wonderful in this movie. There really is nobody like him. I think all the actors in it did a good job but he is the heart and soul of the movie. And stubble is his best look. Aside from him the next best thing about it is that it is just a visually stunning movie from start to finish. Those two things make it worth watching again and again.

Krisi_love_SRK, skrogers and MaryAnnK thank this.
  9. rubyroo

I surprised myself today by writing a big long post of my thoughts on JTHJ for this thread. Yay! This has spoilers in it.

I noticed some plot weaknesses in JTHJ like in most of the Hindi movies I have seen, but I just never let them be important to me. I must say though that I keep hoping one of his new movies will improve in that area. That would be a great way to increase worldwide respect for Hindi cinema.

The first time I saw the movie I was not too happy with the "modern" views expressed by Akira. It seemed like a departure from what we have seen from Yash Chopra before. Now I have realized that the strong message from start to finish is that faithful monogamous love is the ideal and that any other attitude leads to "solid confusion" as Akira herself noted early in the movie.

Everything in the movie was done with good taste and humor and sweetness including in the song Saans. I always admire how the songs in Hindi movies are not just added on fluff but usually forward the plot in some way or help us understand the characters better.

A difficult part of the movie for me was when Meera met her mother and said her mother had done the right thing in abandoning her family. It can never be right for a parent to put her own needs ahead of those of her child. But still a favorite part of the whole movie for me is when Pooja met her daughter and held her in her arms crying. I always start crying too in that part. Pooja was in the wrong, but Meera's dad was also wrong to keep her and her mom apart all those years.

One plot development that I liked was the changing fortunes of Samar. He started out in London cheerfully struggling to make something of his life. One improbable thing was that a wealthy woman would have seriously considered marrying him. They would have had lots of problems if they had married at that point.

I am sure that if Samar had stayed in London he would have become successful eventually, so it was fitting that the money he left with his friend resulted in the thriving restaurant business that was waiting for him when he returned 10 years later. The success of the unimpressive roommate with whom Samar shared a staunch and trusting friendship was one of the most charming developments of the movie. I just picked up on my third viewing that he had married the popular and vivacious Maria. Go Zain!

I think Samar's decision to join the Indian Army made sense for his character and his successful rise in his 10 year career there to become an "electronics genius" and bomb defusing expert was believable.

I had thought at the end when he presented Meera with a twisted wire engagement ring and we were informed that he had defused his last bomb, "Well now what?" How was Samar even now going to provide for the life necessities of this wealthy London girl especially if he gave up his dangerous military career?

Of course this actually was no problem because he was an owner of the restaurant business and thus had wealth and an occupation waiting for him back in London. It was indeed the right time for his and Meera's love even from an economic standpoint! This strengthened the "right time" theme and helped it make more sense.

Shah Rukh's performance was heart touching, genuine, and thoughtful. I was bothered at first that he was made to play a man 20 years younger than himself, mostly because I know so well what he actually did look like 20 years ago and no amount of makeup can achieve that appearance. But still as the 28 year old Samar he looked very young and very beautiful and he acted so perfectly like a man that age would and was so very convincing as both of the Samars. And so at this point I can willingly suspend my disbelief and just enjoy his fine performance. It was a greater achievement than most actors would be capable of. He never ceases to amaze me. By the way I think his body was extremely beautiful in this movie. Just the right amount of muscle and weight on him. <3 I wish he could stay the same from now on.

I enjoyed Anushka a lot in this movie. She is just darling and her liveliness as Akira is a nice contrast to the more restrained and elegant Meera. I like how she was given such an important and pivotal role in the movie and we were never left to just forget about her. (A strength of the movie is the nice balance among the 3 main characters.) She and Shah Rukh were excellent together. So sensitive and appreciative of each other.

I appreciate Katrina more each time I watch the movie. So far after 3 viewings, I think her best moment was after Samar's first accident when she, without a word, clearly conveyed her overwhelming relief that Samar's life was spared, but an instant later became shocked and horrified at the promise she had made to God.

The ending was extremely satisfying and is probably a big reason for the movie's popularity. I like how it left me feeling that all was well at last in a world which is ruled over by a wise and kind God, rather than the vindictive and unloving one that Samar had been fighting against for most of the movie.

I am not sure yet that JTHJ is going to be among my most favorite Shah Rukh movies but I expect I will watch it many more times and keep on liking it better each time.

Krisi_love_SRK, Dea, skrogers and 2 others thanked this.
  10. rubyroo

11. MaryAnnK

Wow! Do you guys realize that it was the one year anniversary for JTHJ last week 11/13/12??? I was watching Challa song video with my little grandson and noticed the date was there! Maybe we need to have a JTHJ sleep over!

skrogers, Debbie and rubyroo thank this.
  12. rubyroo

Yes! Something to do while waiting for the movie marathon to start again!

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  13. niloofari

niloofari LOVE SRk

am agree Theresa i praised Katrina in that accident scene she was praying & crying she was too good there.

but as a whole i was waiting for sth unbeleivable from Yash ji
    as he said it is the best i could ever make. but when i saw the movie .... it was easy to guese what's going on...
    just because of Shah Rukh i ignored those weaknesses & watched it !
    Shah Rukh was too good whatever he play i appreciate his creativity for the charachter
    some scenes in the film i just cant forget cos of his wonderful play i can watch those scenes many times

finally, watching Darr, Dil to pagal hai,& more important watching Veer Zaara , ... i wanted a miracle from Yash ji but it didnt happen:(

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  14. rubyroo

I know exactly what you mean. I'm watching JTHJ and enjoying it very much, but there always is a tinge of regret when I compare it to these other movies. Wish it would have been that awesome.

MaryAnnK and niloofari thank this.
  15. rubyroo

This movie is really growing on me.

MaryAnnK and niloofari thank this.
  16. rubyroo

Well I finished my fourth viewing of JTHJ. I spoiled myself rotten and bought the HD iTunes version so I could finally do screen caps. I did over 200 of them- the most I have ever done for one movie. I know we have a bazillion screen caps from this movie, but I posted mine too. It was a very emotional experience for me doing them and it added immensely to my appreciation of the movie. The screen caps just show what I saw and loved. I surprised myself and even did screen caps of the kisses. They both looked so beautiful in those scenes that I just couldn't resist.

I loved Samar from the first and only found myself falling more in love with him this time, but what surprised me very much is that by the end of this viewing, sweet Meera has now won my heart as well. She is so perfect. I remembered this time how painful it is to watch an actor who really cannot act. Katrina can act. I have never once felt annoyed at her way of handling any of her scenes. She is natural and believable right straight through. I love how despite her great physical beauty from head to toe I never get the feeling that she is the slightest bit vain about her looks. Meera was quiet, sensitive, elegant, strong, brave, passionate, and staunchly faithful to her beloved Samar. I now see that Katrina and Shah Rukh are marvelous together. I know a romantic movie couple is successful together if I believe in their love. And I believe in the love of Samar and Meera. It amazed me how much Meera made me feel what she was feeling.

The great strength of this movie is the emotional integrity of each of the three main characters. They always acted and reacted in a believable way for the character they played. Meera's behavior is difficult to sympathize with because of the pain she caused to Samar, but I found myself just loving how true to herself and her beliefs that she always was. What she did always made sense for the person she was. She was a bit foolish it's true, but extremely admirable as well.

I think that to love and appreciate this movie one must love and appreciate Meera. I have said before that Shah Rukh is the heart and soul of the movie. I would give Katrina equal rank with him on that now. It took both of them together, with Yash Chopra's help, to create such beauty. (Of course I still love my darling Akira too!)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Krisi_love_SRK, MaryAnnK and niloofari thank this.
  17. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Oh Rubyroo, I am so happy that you finally got Katrina's Meera. Every time I have watched it I felt her love for Samar and her pain over them being apart. It is a beautiful movie, the way she stands there after the kiss, the way she walks away from the accident after promising GOD to leave him, the look on her face as she hugs him to her in the hospital, all these show Meera just the way Mr. Chopra meant for them too. Katrina did a wonderful job in this movie...and I loved Shah Rukh with her.

18. rubyroo

Agree completely. Her performance was subtle and intelligent. I look forward to watching it again soon. Maybe this week...

Krisi_love_SRK and niloofari thank this.
  19. MaryAnnK

I am in total agreement here. Meera is the soul of this story. If one does not "get" her, then you don't get the film. I remember watching it for the first time and just could not wrap my mind around what she was doing! Her bargaining with God all the time. Once you have come to terms with this aspect of her character, then you finally get it. I know this is an SRK forum and we watch his films the first time to see him!! But to really understand this story, one has to really understand Meera! I do think that Kat was a great choice for this film and she does well.

My husband is still trying to come to terms with the "bomb" incident in the end. I think this is the weakest part of the film and it is hard for me to watch too. But, that is for another discussion! I really enjoy how Yash-ji can make stories about relationships.

Krisi_love_SRK and rubyroo thank this.
  20. rubyroo

As a story about relationships it couldn't be a finer work of art.

Do you mean when the policemen allowed a complete stranger to defuse a dangerous bomb? That did lack plausibility but Shah Rukh was so wonderful in those moments as Samar's memory was returning. That reconciles me to it. The other part I have difficulty with is when Samar sat unconcernedly on the beach while Akira was drowning. I really don't get it...but those are minor issues compared to the good stuff.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    MaryAnnK says thanks.