1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon thoughts!

Discussion in 'RaOne (Ra.1)' started by MaryAnnK, Nov 27, 2012.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Did I miss this one as a thread?

Well, if I did create one that I could not find, please merge them!

What got me started today is that I was watching Rajnikant's Robot last night and saw some great scenes that were used in Ra.One! Just had to share. My husband and I sat through Robot without any English subtitles and it is a 3 hour film!!!! Now I appreciate Shah Rukh's homage to this great actor!

2. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

Cna you say which scenes MaryAnn?

I watched Robot too... when it just came out.. enjoyed it a lot..but then I forgot about it :p

3. MaryAnnK

Well, it was especially the scene where Ranji had everything magnetized to him; and then when Ranji is running on the side of a moving train! Loved it!

4. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

Oh.... only 2... that's pretty random... not much to worry about :p
    But must say I enjoyed Robot! :D Even though the songs were pathetic.... I fail to understand why the Indians lashed out at Ra.One... it was far better :rolleyes:

Mara and MaryAnnK thank this.
  5. MaryAnnK

I just thought it was fun that he paid homage to that robot in his robot film!

6. Areams

Areams Photographer, Filmmaker, and SRK Fan

Ra. One is one of my favorites of the films I've seen. And I mean every film, including the non-bollywood ones. How could anyone not like it?

Mara, Tash and MaryAnnK thank this.
  7. MaryAnnK

Okay, after broadening my experience with Bollywood beyond SRK, I have come to truly enjoy when a film pays homage to an actor or film.
    So, I watched Khalnayak last night with Sanjay Dutt. I thought I would share the music that is referenced in the opening scene of Ra.One when the hero and villain are fighting. The song references Sanjay's character from that film. I feel that things like this help us appreciate the film more!

Debbie says thanks.
  8. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Finally got to watch last night for the movie marathon.....
    What is it about this movie that I will always love it so much....is it the fact that this is the first one of Shah Rukh's I saw on the big scene? Is it the fact he so loved this movie and put so much of himself in it? Maybe it is both, but love it I do.
    From the music in the beginning I get chills....and the opening scene :faint:
    I still cry and get angry every time Shekhar dies. I so wish somehow they had made Shekhar turn into G.One. My grandson told me he did that Shekhar was the same that he did come back as G.One.
    This is the first Hindi movie my daughter saw. She cried when G. One died (by the way she is in her 30's) and loved the film...the only reason I can figure that India did not take to this film as much as Shah thought they would is perhaps it was too western. We have many super heroes in the US, in India not so much. I think they have their Gods and Goddess for evil and good. Most in America don't have these kinds of beliefs, so we created super heroes instead. We needed them.

Ra. One will always have a special place in my heart. Be it the fact that I not been so excited in years about anything, or the first time I saw "him" on the big screen. Maybe that it was his dream and watching him up to the release was like watching a kid waiting for Christmas.
    Honestly I think it was made with so much love from Shah that I can do no else but love it as I love him...

MaryAnnK and Mara thank this.
  9. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

You’re so right about how much people need an awareness of mythology in their lives. This is why I enjoy Hindi cinema so much. It has so many mythological references, such as the Ramayana threads in RaOne. Western movies have to make up their mythology in the form of simplistic superheroes. Only the depth of the insanity of the villains keep the stories from being completely boring. The Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung says:

“We think we can congratulate ourselves on having already reached such a pinnacle of clarity, imagining that we have left all these phantasmal gods far behind. But what we have left behind are only verbal spectres, not the psychic facts that were responsible for the birth of the gods. We are still as much possessed by autonomous as if they were Olympians. Today they are called phobias, obsessions, and so forth; in a word, neurotic symptoms. The gods have become diseases; Zeus no longer rules Olympus but rather the solar plexus, and produces curious specimens for the doctor’s consulting room, or disorders of the brains of politicians and journalists who unwillingly let loose psychic epidemics on the world.” (Jung, Cw 13, par. 54)

India is more in touch with its myths because of all the mythological serials that run continuously on television there. For example, Rajeev Masand reported in his column this week that Farah Khan’s son Czar is obsessed with Mohit Raina, who plays Lord Shiva in the popular television mythological series "Devon Ka Dev Mahadev".

Debbie and MaryAnnK thank this.
  10. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

everytime i watch Dildara i remember Farah saying in her directiorial commentary of OSO, that Shah took like 4 hours to curl his hair and that she'd told him he would have never turned out to be a hero had he been born with curly hair :lol: well, Farah, feast ur eyes on this and tell me he doesn't look like a hero! :p
    [​IMG]

MaryAnnK, Debbie and Mara thank this.
  11. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

btw, did anybody else notice during the song Chammak Challo how much the male dancers were overacting? :lol: really watch it once and just look at the male dancers' faces :pound: too good! lol can't blame them they must've been really happy to be there hehe

Mara says thanks.
  12. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I think he deliberately picked what he thought was a silly wig for its comedy effect. He probably imagined making fun of himself on the future awards shows. But he’s so handsome and has such presence as an actor; he’s looks every inch the hero even in that less than perfect wig.

Dea says thanks.
  13. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

yep :lol: but he doesn't realize he can't not be sexy hehehe

Mara says thanks.
  14. tasifa

tasifa which means Blue Eyes in Thai.

There is one exception, though...Have you seen the picture of him on his IMDB page? He looks like a criminal...and by criminal I don't mean Don. I don't know where that picture comes from, but they should change it. Here's the link.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2869539584/nm0451321?ref_=nm_ov_ph

15. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

lol i don't understand why they used that pic as well since he has many others much more flattering but i don't mind it, to me he looks sexy anyday :lol:

i mean, even Karan got a better picture for his IMDB :lol: and don;t get me wrong i love Karan i'm actually one of the few who find him damn hot :biggrin1: but most ppl don't so ye... i think he personally called the staff there and demanded for a good pic, knowing him :lol: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2834473984/nm0424103?ref_=nm_ov_ph

16. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I love this picture of him. It’s real. It’s honest. There’s nothing painted or prettified about it. If you woke up in bed with him one morning, this is what you would see. It takes a lot of courage to throw away all make-up, all artifice and stand naked before the world. He dares to say “This is who I really am.” I find it sooo sexy! :flame:

"SHAH RUKH KHAN‏@iamsrkThe best people possess a feeling for beauty,the courage to take risks,the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed.” ― Ernest Hemingway…"

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    Dea says thanks.
  17. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

this is sooo touching yaar ... hit me right in my soft spot :hurt:

Mara says thanks.
  18. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Good for people who enjoyed but I wasn't a fan of it. SRK as a Superhero was an interesting idea but didn't work out.

The story was just too weak and silly, I was never really invested. It wasn't well directed and felt messy. The humor was awful (condom jokes, wtf?) and SRK was ok at best, for his dream project I expected a better performance. Kareena was solid, they are still not a good pair though.

I didn't like how Shekar was killed off and immediately forgotten, as silly as his hairstyle & broken Tamil was, he at least had character. G.One was just a boring robot.

The VFX was certainly great but not enough to save it. I liked the songs but they didn't have the typical Bollywood charm, if I want to hear Akon I'll just hear his normal songs and not some Bollywood mix.

Bollywood just isn't good with superhero movies but overall I really preferred Krrish to this, I was invested in the protagonists story there. The story was emotional and engaging etc. Its ok to make a kids movie but it has to compelling enough for adults too.

4/10 at best, at least SRK tried.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2016