1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon thoughts!

Discussion in 'Pardes' started by MaryAnnK, Jul 7, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Here we go. For some reason, we missed having a thread last time around.

I love Arjun!!! I hate Arjun! This is a difficult role to play as you can see. He had to stand clear and not interfere with the arrangement of Ravi's wedding to Ganga; but, he also had to show his love for Ganga with his eyes. One can feel the tension every time they share the same frame. :heart:

Yeh Dil says thanks.
  2. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

I was in all smiles at the end of the movie when SRK was making faces and all. His character was so sweet, so nice, so good and his respect for woman and all...
    I love Pardes, I love love Shahrukh in Pardes
    thats all I can say:)

3. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

I love SRK in this movie :heart:
    but theres not enough of him in it IMO, i was forwarding alot of the scenes without him in it so i ended up finishing the movie within 40 mins or something :lol:
    I love Arjun :love:

4. MaryAnnK

Okay, Shublee. What is your favorite scene then? or song for that matter?

5. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

favourite song is Mere Mehbooba and favourite scene is all SRK scenes, or most especially the end when he talks to Amrish Puri and says something like: "if protecting her is called love then i love her" (translation is something like that :madgrin:)

6. MaryAnnK

And I believe him when he says this too. This was so hard for me to understand the first few times I watched this film. My understanding of the culture was so lacking, but I have a better grasp of it now. I want to believe they will get together and have a happy ending. :heart:

7. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

Pardes didn't make a big impression on me. The movie looks dated, more like a movie from the 80s than a contemporary of DTPH.
    Also, is Arjun a singer or a car mechanic? It looks like the director couldn't make up his mind.

But my biggest problem and what keeps me from enjoying the movie is the cultural difference. The characters' beliefs, reasoning and behaviour are not something I can sympathize with and therefore I don't get drawn into the story. Usually, I find the difference fascinating but in this case it is too much for me.

8. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

I LOVE Pardes
    I was sad for SRK character but then I was in all smiles at the end

9. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

yeah :D
    and i think also SRK is right, he didnt have that much to do in the film

rubyroo says thanks.
  10. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

His character was sooooo sweet and kind just like SRK for real life:p:heart:

rubyroo says thanks.
  11. MaryAnnK

It has been almost two years and this is still one of my top 10 SRK films.

12. Shahrukhbiggestfan

Shahrukhbiggestfan New Member

I really liked this movie. The chemistry between Shahrukh and Mahima was really sweet and I loved how protective Arjun was shown over Ganga in the end

rubyroo and MaryAnnK thank this.
  13. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

i need to watch this movie again
    but whenever i read Pardes i only think of that hug in the train station :faint2::faint2: i believe the best hug scene in any SRK movie!! :heart::heart:

rubyroo and MaryAnnK thank this.
  14. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Warning: Spoilers (2 parts to this review)

Pardes (Foreign Land), a romantic drama, was released on August 8, 1997. It was written, directed and produced by Subhash Ghai. He also directed Trimurti. The film stars Shah Rukh Khan as Arjun (Kishorilal’s nephew/adopted son), Amrish Puri as Kishorilal (Rajiv’s father), Alok Nath as Suraj Dev (Ganga’s father), and features newcomers, Mahima Chaudhry as Ganga, and Apurva Agnihotri as Rajiv. (Mahima Chaudhry also played a role in one of Shah Rukh Khan’s special appearance films, Kuch Meetha Ho Jaye.) Part of the film depicted Los Angeles and Las Vegas in the United States (although a lot of filming occurred in Vancouver, Canada). Part of the film depicted life in India.

A wealthy, first generation non-resident Indian living in the United States, Kishorilal, returned to his homeland and arranged a marriage with a pure, beautiful, native Indian girl to his son, Rajiv. Rajiv had never been to India and had no interest in India. Kishorilal involved his nephew, Arjun, by requesting that Arjun return to India and take care of the engagement details. Rajiv accompanied Arjun to India. Rajiv turned his nose up to the culture in India, but he did warm up a little to the beauty of Ganga. Arjun successfully accomplished the task Kishorilal gave him. Upon returning to the United States, Ganga discovered that Rajiv smoked, drank, and had been intimate with his girlfriend. Ganga became upset with Arjun, for misleading her into believing that Rajiv had good character and morals. Two of Rajiv’s aunts were snobs to Ganga. Rajiv and his Aunts claimed that the negative morals and attitudes Ganga was observing were due to the culture of the United States. As the story traveled to Las Vegas, Rajiv attempted to rape his fiancée causing her to run away. Then, Arjun entered the scene, found and rescued Ganga. The film concluded the conflict back in India with Ganga’s father trying to kill Arjun, then Arjun and Rajiv fighting. Finally, misunderstandings between the fathers and children were resolved.

Subhash Ghai's film had a message that Indians need to be careful that they don’t let foreign influences ruin India’s traditional family values and principles. He also wanted to strengthen National pride in the citizens of India. He targeted the United States and non-resident Indians to compare and contrast the virtues of resident Indians with. He was trying to compare cultures. Smoking, drinking, illicit sex, and snobbery are a few negative aspects that can be found in any culture. Subhash Ghai, in a narrow-minded fashion, painted a negative picture of the United States for Indian citizens to see in their theaters. There are many people in the United States with traditional family values, principles, and good morals.

In order for a writer or film maker to honestly and effectively tell a story depicting two different cultures, there should be some respect for both cultures. Some cultural aspects to consider are: history, traditions, language, cuisine, clothing, religion, government, education, literature, art, music, sports, holidays, and family life. A more tasteful approach to this film would have been to utilize legitimate cultural differences instead of picking on universal moral issues. The United States is a “melting pot” of many cultures. And, probably every religion in the world can be found in the United States. Religion affects family life, which affects moral behavior. And like other countries in the world, some moral behavior has declined in the United States. I think Mr. Ghai should have chosen a different country other than the United States to compare cultural differences with. This film unfairly portrayed NRIs and decent citizens in the United States. However, this film does successfully depict an immigrant’s dream to connect to his roots and his struggle as he is caught between two countries.

Some odd aspects I found in the film were:

· Ganga riding her bike in the air, reminiscent of a scene in Steve Spielberg’s film, E.T.
    · Ganga praying to a snake
    · The neighbor family in India, who claimed to have received a promise that Ganga would marry their son.
    · Ganga running from the stage in the middle of her performance in front of hundreds of people in order to greet Arjun. A normal person would have waited until the performance was over.
    · Ganga wearing her wedding ring after the scene where she threw it off and ran away.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  15. Jasmine

Pardes review, continued - part 2
    The character, Rajiv had no realism and was one dimensional. I cannot believe that any person would show complete disinterest and even contempt for their heritage, as Rajiv did towards his homeland, India. Typically, people have some good traits mixed in with negative ones. Rajiv’s character contained only unsavory qualities. He smoked, drank, slept with his girlfriend, and was a snob. The introduction of his drinking problem was awkward. The scene at the bar showed him suddenly drunk and yelling. That moment needed a little development, but instead, it felt like a choppy segment thrown into the film. Rajiv appeared to be attracted to Gunga in India, but then he treated her horribly in the United States. And Rajiv’s indecent, despicable attempt to rape his fiancée was extreme.

I do not think Subhash Ghai wrote the character of Arjun very well. There were too many limitations placed on him. On the one hand, at the beginning of the film, Arjun was treated as family as he helped with marriage arrangements. He addressed Kishorilal as "Dad". And Kishorilala affectionately referred to him as "Little Master." Yet, on the other hand, one of the snobbish aunts rudely referred to Arjun as a servant. Rajiv also reinforced Arjun's low position in the family by dismissing Arjun from being involved in the engagement when Arjun attempted to help Rajiv understand the difficulty that Ganga was facing. Also, Arjun was a man of very good character. Yet, he had been required to deceive Ganga about Rajiv's bad character, hurting her, in order to show loyalty to Kishorilal. This put Arjun in a dichotomic position. Arjun had musical talent. He was the one to write the song, I Love My India. Yet, he was never allowed in the film to shine with his creation. Only Kishorilal and Ganga were highlighted singing that song. Despite the challenges I see this role had, Shah Rukh Khan beautifully carried the film. He is the saving grace of this film and provides the greatest value to this film. I loved seeing all the wonderful qualities of Arjun’s character. He was unselfish, kindhearted, sensitive, attentive, dependable, trustworthy, and protective. Shah Rukh Khan played the role beautifully with restraint, depth, and sincerity.

Mahima Chaudhry was beautiful and did a nice job in the film. She looked like a promising actress. It’s too bad she didn’t take off in films.

Amrish Puri was wonderful, too. Of all the films I have seen Amrish Puri in, I like him the best in this film. There seemed to be more warmth to him in the role of Kishorilal.

It was interesting to see and learn about the game Kabaddi. It was fun to see Shah Rukh Khan in shorts. I loved the moment when he won the game, reaching for the white line. He was great!

I thought it was interesting to see Arjun walking with Popeye at Universal Studios. There is a thin similarity between Popeye and Arjun. They both were heroes who protected the heroine (Ganga/Olive Oyl) against a bully (Rajiv/Bluto).

Some of the music from this film is very nice. I like the song, I Love My India. My favorite song is from the film is Meri Mehbooba. I loved seeing Shah Rukh Khan in that musical number.

My favorite scene in the film is where Ganga became upset with Arjun for deceiving her about the character of Rajiv. When Arjun asked Ganga what kind of love she wanted, she said; “The kind of love you give to people, that’s the kind of love I want!” Ganga asked Arjun if he was going to leave her. And Arjun leaned his head back in the doorway and shook his head “No”. I loved that moment!

I also loved the moment when, after searching for Ganga, Arjun got off the train and he and Ganga hugged each other.

I loved the speech Arjun gave to Kishorilal at the end of the film after the fight.

This is a great film to swoon over Shah Rukh Khan. He is completely gorgeous! This film is filled with beautiful moments with Shah Rukh Khan. Even though I don’t care much for what Subhash Ghai did with this film, I do like the film for Shah Rukh Khan’s sake. He is wonderful, as always!

MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  16. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Spoilers.

The star of Pardes was Shah Rukh Khan, but the first whole part actually starred the country of India. It was very pretty but I missed him. Finally after a long wait we got our first sight of him: a photograph. Then another wait...If he is billed as the star, I want to see him right from the start. I know SRK is always late in real life but he better not be in his movies!

The song “I Love India” made me think of the song Darling,Ye Hai India. It's interesting to contrast those two movies. Darling, Ye Hai India was also a pro India movie I thought but perhaps a more realistic view of it, in spite of the fantasy aspects of the film.

I do understand and admire people for wanting to think their own country is best. America is far from perfect of course. The problems highlighted in the movie are real, though handled in a simplistic fashion. The movie was actually somewhat even handed although maybe this was unintended. Arranged marriages, marriages of convenience where the wife is expected to accept infidelity as a “little thing”, and playing a game to determine who gets to marry the girl- all that didn't make India look so good. However I'm sure that the handling of these issues was simplistic and unrealistic as well.

In SRK movies, Shah Rukh's character is supposed to rescue the girl. She isn't supposed to be constantly chasing after him for help and having him send her back or walk away from her leaving her in danger. It made Arjun seem weak and ineffective. It didn't ring true because he was not weak and ineffective, but rather efficient, smart, and capable. He did organize a search party when she went missing, but then when he found her he tried his darnedest to send her back to the rapist again. Only her determination got them home to India. Then we saw the scene where he sliced his hand with a sword to show he really meant it that Ganga's dad was not allowed to touch her, and then walked off leaving her once again in danger. I kept expecting him to be different but he never never was. Even at the very end he walked away once again and she was still having to chase after him, thankfully with more success though, as attested to by my very most favorite part of the whole movie, the sight of his laughing eyes looking back at her over Daddy's shoulder.

After watching parts of the movie a second time I think I can sort of decipher what was expected of Shah Rukh Khan in this movie. I think he did the best he could with it. Arjun was not ever allowed to be disloyal or disobedient to his adopted father,. He had to be able to truthfully say in the end that he never wooed Ganga, though he did love her. This was very difficult. He did successfully convey his feelings for her throughout using his incomparable eyes and little else. When he parted from her at the airport, his eyes were full of pain even while he was speaking words of detachment. She on the other hand developed a strong and readily voiced dependence on him from the very start. It was sweet to see. I liked very much the actress who played Ganga. It was unconscionable that Arjun's loyalty to his dad was made to trump the trust that Ganga had in him. He had to betray her to obey his father. And that betrayal was far worse than the other would have been because she implored him to help her make a decision that wouldn’t ruin her future. I hated to see Arjun trapped in such an awful situation.

I missed Shah Rukh's passion throughout this movie. Only in the scene where he confronted his dad at the end did he finally show some. This was his finest moment of the movie. He was everything I love to see- passionate, proud, and disdainful of the littleness and deceit he had seen in others as well as himself. In these kind of moments I just love to hear him speak and it matters very little that I don’t know his language.

I liked Amrish Puri better in this movie than in any I've seen so far. I can see what a charming man he must have been in real life despite his career of mainly playing the villains we love to hate.

I really liked the songs in this movie. An oddity about the movie was that Rajiv never sang. In Rajiv's romantic scene with Ganga, Arjun did the singing and even some dancing too. That was fine with me though! It was interesting to contrast Ganga's two love interests in the movie. Rajiv was quite handsome but in a very conventional way. I'm partial of course, but I thought Arjun's irregular exotic beauty compared quite well. And of course Arjun had more personality in his little finger than Rajiv had in his whole handsome body. It's why Ganga truly loved Arjun right from the start though her head got turned for a little while.

MaryAnnK, Alenka and Jasmine thank this.
  17. Jasmine

It has bothered me that I was harsh about this film. So, I just edited my review of Pardes a little bit, to soften my initial response to it. I completely melted over Shah Rukh Khan while watching the film. But, when it came time to write about the film, it wasn't so fun. I live in the United States. And I have known several hundreds of wonderful people with high morals in this country in my lifetime. So, the story of Pardes didn't exactly go over well with me. I also don't think it is very kind to put any country in an unfavorable light in films. But, the purpose of watching and reviewing these films is to have fun...and to swoon over Shah Rukh Khan. And that's all I want to do.

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  18. rubyroo

And a most worthy and worthwhile goal it is!

MaryAnnK and Jasmine thank this.
  19. Jasmine

I like what you pointed out...that SRK's character is supposed to rescue girls in his films and in Pardes, Ganga had to chase Arjun. And Arjun kept sending her into danger.

I like how you said that "it was unconscionable that Arjun's loyalty to his dad was made to trump the trust that Ganga had in him". When you think about choices, sometimes it is a matter of choosing between "good", "better", and "best". It was "good" that Arjun wanted to be loyal to his dad. But, it would have been "best" not to ruin a young girl's life.

I noticed, too, that Shah Rukh Khan's typical passion was toned down in this film. He's still wonderful toned down. But, I love seeing him passionate best.

I love how you said that Amrish Puri is a character we "love to hate". That's true. He's good at playing villains!

I overlooked that Rajiv didn't sing, and didn't notice that. I love how you said that Arjun had more personality in his little finger than Rajive had in his whole body. So true!

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  20. rubyroo

the way he backed her up against the pole...so intense. Also a wonderful moment was when they were on the train and she laid her head on the table and he put out his hand to touch her hair, then regretfully pulled it away.

MaryAnnK and Jasmine thank this.