1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughts

Discussion in 'Raju Ban Gaya Gemtleman' started by shublee, May 13, 2009.

1. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

I have never watched this movie before, its one of his first few movies ever, i love the character he plays
    very simple and sweet :heart:

theres that guy nana patekar in this movie, i had no idea that he had made a movie with SRK before other than Shakti :noidea:
    before a scene starts there'll be a little scene of him in the streets surrounded by passer bys and his talking philosophyical stuff and i'll be like....what? :boink: :confused2: why is this needed?

but the scenes where he is actually interacting with the other characters in the movie is more interesting :clap2:

SRK's character is so sweet, i feel for him :kiss:
    he wants to become someone in life and as time goes on he so wants to achieve his ambitions that he'll go to any lengths to fulfil it
    its realistic

love the song Dil Hai Mera Deewana, he looks so CUTE :heart:
    and i love his hair too :D just so much of it :thumb:

In a recent interview he said that in 1992 after he had made this movie and watched it the first thing he did was pack his bag and go to the airport to fly back to Delhi, thats how much he didnt like himself in it and after watching this movie for myself im suprised :scared: :jaw:

I think he was great :thumb: :nod:

anyone else saw it yet?

rubyroo says thanks.
  2. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, I have lost a day somewhere!!!!!!! I am behind one day!!! What am I going to do? I still have to watch Swades and I don't want to miss it. I will post afterwards!!

3. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

I always have liked Raju Ban Gaya Gemtleman a lot and it's one of my favorite early films of Shahrukh's. It's also the only early one my husband likes.

Not only is SRK very good in the movie but the other actors too I think do a fine job and the plot is much better than most of his early films...not that it's a new plot (the same basic plot been made as Hollywood films over and over since the 1930s) but it's handled well by the director AM.

My favorite part of the movie is the romantic song Na Na Naa Chuna Naa that SRK does with Juhi which I have written about at length on other threads here on the boards. I've watched that song many, many dozens of times.:D He just moves with such natural fluidity and sensuality. And he looks really hot too in the song once it really begins (at the very start when she first walks out he looks so innocent and young.... but not a moment later when he starts the romancing part). In case you don't recall which song that was here is a screen cap from it...big so just posting a link to it http://www.planetsrk.com/forums/gallery/files/8/2/8/9/window2.jpg

4. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

you can catch up MaryAnn :hug:
    and make sure to comment on them, i've missed quite a few movies too like Paheli and some others
    totally forgot about them, i was watching RNBDJ instead :eyebrows: :lol:
    dont miss todays film, its Yes Boss :D

5. MaryAnnK

Yes, Bridget that song took my breath away, almost as much as the one in Zamaana Deevana. I don't care for the other female star. She just didn't hold up against Juhi and Shah Rukh. I don't even know her name and would not care to see her in another film. I was wondering if she were in the film only because she was a relative of someone!! I don't watch this one very often but I still like the chemistry between Shah Rukh and Juhi.

6. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

This is one of my fav's because its such a simple story, and also because it has my favorite Juhi-SRK jodi.

All in all, its an innocent story presented in a very straightforward manner. SRK was a bit squeaky with his voice and all considering it was so old, but the songs and all make this a cute film. totally a family movie and very sweet and simple indeed.

7. donshema

donshema SRK is my Family

this was shahrukh's first movie, and also the first movie I saw for shahrukh, I guess I was about 16 or 15 and I didn't know him at that time and all I could remember from the movie is the fight where they tried to kill him. At that time I didn't like the movie, but when I got to know shahrukh and watched his other movies , I saw Raju again and I liked it and ofcourse his song with juhi was fantastic.

8. Elahe

Elahe Dil To Shahrukhee hai!

I really like RBGG, its a very cute one, I really enjoy watching it, and the songs are soooo cute, loveria, dil hai mera deewana, the title song and of course kehti hai dil ki lagi, he's soooo sexy in that one.
    Shahrukh has that young innocent look, talks extremely fast and with what I've heard him say about his young days I don't know why but I somehow see the real shahrukh in Raju, ambitious, in love at a young age.... there are too many differences I admit, but somehow Raju reminds me of him
    so understandable for the daughter of the boss to fall for such a cutie:p

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  9. MaryAnnK

Elahe, thank you for bring up all of the Movie Marathon threads. I hadn't visited any of them for a while.

Elahe says thanks.
  10. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Spoilers.
    Amrita Singh is about 7 years older than Shah Rukh. According to Anupama Chopra's bio of SRK, she went to school with his sister and the 3 of them were good friends. They used to go to movies together and hang out at Amrita's house. She became a Bollywood star before he did. I though she was very good and very believable in this role of a more powerful and mature woman who fell in love with his character. I though she at times looked decidedly older than him but in some scenes she was very appealing, like when they had dinner together and he taught her to lick her fingers and they got lassi mustaches. I could have seen him leaving Renu for her. It added to the suspense. Glad he remained faithful to his true love!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    MaryAnnK says thanks.
  11. rubyroo

Capture4.JPG
    I finally looked up Tenzing Rock. This is a natural rock formation in Darjeeling. It is named for Tenzing Norgay the Nepalese Indian Sherpa mountaineer who was one of the first 2 men to scale Mt. Everest along with Edmund Hillary. One side of the rock can be climbed fairly easily but the other side is used for rock climbing training and is quite challenging requiring safety equipment for most people. I'm glad Shah Rukh didn't fall over the steep side when he was dancing on the ridge!

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  12. rubyroo

Watching a little each night. Some random observations:
    I think Shah Rukh really was quite thin in this movie- more like he is now. He seemed plumper and bigger somehow in the movies he did a little later like Karan Arjun where we always notice his chubby cheeks.

The beginning of the movie where he danced and sang as he was leaving his home town reminds me so much of that delightful song he did in the airport at the beginning of Anjaam because in both songs crowds of people were standing there watching his performance and in both cases the onlookers had a look of delight on their faces at the antics of this charming, exuberant young man. His enthusiasm and joyfulness were irresistible.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    I was amused that in one part of the movie, he wanted to take Renu to a fancy restaurant against her will- she never wanted him to spend money. But then after he accidentally stood her up in the excitement of running off to Delhi on a business trip, he ended up taking the sophisticated Sapna out instead...to this place.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Dea says thanks.
  13. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

In this movie, Shah Rukh eating Indian style at the “restaurant” was my first experience with this method of eating. I always enjoyed eating food with my hands: pizza, burritos, sandwiches, tacos, garden burgers, hot dogs, taquitos, dips, crudités, and finger food. But my Indian-American friends can handle serious challenges like rice and dal. I practice, but they still do it so much better. And I loved the way Shah “cleans up”, -one of his many unforgettable moments.

rubyroo and Dea thank this.
  14. tasifa

tasifa which means Blue Eyes in Thai.

It's funny because Shahrukh said that he is very selfconscious about eating out because he's not comfortable with people watching him eat. And yet in movies, he gives it his all....If you've seen Ra.One, when Shanker eat noodles with curd...he relishes it. Like he said, when he acts he is somebody else, so eating in front of millions is okay I guess. And yes the way he 'cleans up' is quite appealing. ;)

rubyroo and Mara thank this.
  15. rubyroo

I saw a video where an actress was talking about eating in movies. She said they have to be really careful because of the retakes- if they eat too much and have to redo the scene over and over they might get a tummy ache. That's why often they eat very tiny bites or just pretend to eat. I've noticed though that he usually chows down for real in his eating scenes. I always think it's so cute and charming. My favorite is in Guddu- he eats like a real teenage boy would.

16. rubyroo

He is an expert at eating anything at all neatly with his fingers. Since I've known him I like to eat in that style sometimes. It's kind of fun.

Mara says thanks.
  17. tasifa

In India you eat with your right hand, the left never touches the food for it is the unclean hand. Most of the dishes I tasted while in India I could eat with my fingers, even the rice, but try to break your bread with just one hand...very difficult. I tried to copy my friend Jai and didn't succeed....so I used both my hands to break my bread. I felt very self concious because of all those indians doing it without any difficulties.

I really like to see Shahrukh eat with his fingers. It's very appealing.

Mara, Dea and rubyroo thank this.
  18. rubyroo

I love it too. It makes me think of his humble beginnings.
    And eating with just one hand is neater. You have only one set of fingers to lick. Wow, difficult about the bread though. I'd probably be trying to hold it steady with my elbow!

19. tasifa

Now that's a scene that'll be stared at!

rubyroo says thanks.
  20. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

This time I was especially interested in watching the chemistry between Shah Rukh and Amrita Singh, who played Sapna. They are so comfortable with each other. As RubyRoo says, in King of Bollywood, Chopra tells about how Amrita was close friends with SRK’s sister when they were children. She and SRK would frequently go to the movies together, then discuss them at length and pretend to be the actors. Can you imagine the interaction of these two people, how much they must have learned from each other and grown as performers over the years? Amrita said: “Shah Rukh wanted to be Bachchan and I wanted to be romanced by Bachchan.” She was romanced by Bachchan in the movies, and went on to become Saif Ali’s first wife. She took a break from acting to raise her children, but has returned in several choice roles the last ten years.

Debbie, Dea, tasifa and 1 other person say thanks.