1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon thoughts!

Discussion in 'Shakti - The Power' started by MaryAnnK, May 9, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I will leave the "thoughts" to others here. I have only seen this one once and then gave it to someone. I did not like the violence. I really like Shah Rukh's character but it was not enough for me to keep the DVD! I have several music DVDs with Ishq Kamina on it and can enjoy that much of it. I really like that song and video!!

2. AnitaK

AnitaK Member

I agree. The violence and the whole idea of separating a mother from her child in the name of patriarchal nonsense upset me.

The GREAT thing about this movie (and the only redeemable scenes of this film) was, of course, the scenes with ShahRukh! He never ceases to AMAZE me (even after over 50+ films). His character (though too short lived) was adorable and - as ever -you just have to fall in love with him. HOW DOES HE DO IT!?!?! Even given less than 10 short scenes in a movie, he is the only one that makes this movie worth watching and stole the entire show.

Was Farah Khan one of the producers or directors of this film (I can't remember)? If so, I really think she knows the secret and has it going on. And that secret is...

"If in doubt about a film's success, just add SRK and it will be sooooooo much sweeter and 100% more successful.........!"

I LOVE YOU SHAHRUKH! No one will ever come close to mastering the art of acting as you have!!!

3. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

Yeah I agree, the film's storyline itself was just a bit :crazy: and really over-the-top and i find it hard to believe and accept the fact that a mother's child is about to be taken away from her and she's going mental over it, add to that nana patekar beating her up :der:

I watched it several times all the same just for the SRK parts because IMO he livens up the movie alot! I love him in Ishq Kamina and its actually the only nice song in the whole movie :thumb:

unfortunately he's character Jai dies at the end and that makes me upset :(
    what of his dreams?

that part of the storyline (after SRK enters as Jai) is about how he helps her escape with her child back to canada or wherever she came from on holiday, there might be holes in it but i didnt notice any because SRK carried it off well...either that or i over-looked it and keep on over-looking it because i just concentrate on SRK alot :flame:

other than that, i think this movie is a bit mad
    her husband is murdered by a rival village gang for no apparent reason, just to make the father (nana patekar angry) :noidea:
    and the father wants to take his grandchild from her and teach him to be a terrorist so that he can avenge his fathers death
    nope, it just doesnt make sense :tsk:

4. MaryAnnK

This is my week for catching up! First, Darling, Ye Hai India and now Shakti! This is only my second time seeing it too. I am at his part right now, so had to share that it is the only redeeming part of the whole film. How did this one fair at the box office? I can't imagine too many people made return trips to see it!

5. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

I bought this film because Shah Rukh Khan was in it. I thought he was wonderful in his role in this film. He was a hero, once again. And I loved that. Karisma Kapoor was AMAZING! I was so impressed with her performance in this film! I enjoyed being able to look at and think about the way of life different people live. I liked being able to see the contrast of those living a western life-style and those who stick close to older, more traditional ways. It was interesting to me to contemplate how a violent way of life seemed to be the only way some people thought they could survive. I didn't care for the violence. I had to close my eyes for some of the violence. The people, place, and culture in the film were very different than the lifestyle I have been exposed to. But, I tried to understand the viewpoints of the characters in the story. The best moments, to me, were when Shah Rukh Khan was there. It is pure heaven to see him.

Misty45 says thanks.
  6. Misty45

Misty45 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this movie yet. I've been saving getting all the ones in which he only plays small parts until last. However, after reading yours and other reviews, I feel more eager to see it. Thanks!

7. Misty45

Misty45 Well-Known Member

Finally got round to watching this movie. I agree with the comments above from Shublee and Jasmine. On the whole, I found it a thought-provoking and disturbing film. I know that it was made 10years ago, but I hate to think that this kind of lifestyle and attitude still exists in the world. I thank God that I was born where I was, but my heart goes out to those still living with tryanny and oppression! I too had to close my eyes at some points in the film. My daughter, who watched with me, gave up half-way through and couldn't even be tempted by the thought of SRK coming on to watch the rest. I liked SRK's role, but thought that the film-makers could have spent more time introducing his character and less time on the violence! His role as always was very good, especially the fight sequences. I read that he injured his neck performing a stunt in this film as well as his finger, as afore mentioned. I knew he was going to die at the end, having read synopsis, and I found his death scene both amusing and tragic. I bought this movie 'second-hand' because I wasn't sure if I wanted to waste good money on something I might not enjoy and I'm glad I did. It did come with an 'extras' disc, but not sure I'm up to watching any more violence just yet. May go back to it when I'm feeling a little stronger!

Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  8. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Thanks Linda- agree 100%. It's a wicked old world in so many ways! From reading the reviews here I do think this would be worth watching though I also dislike violence especially when women and children are the target (as seems common in Hindi films.) Nice that you got an inexpensive copy of it! I would also consider buying the films that only have him in a small part if they were affordable. (not till I have all the ones he stars in first though!) He is so lovely I hate missing any of his performances.

Misty45 says thanks.
  9. MaryAnnK

The best thing about the film:

10. rubyroo

I must wait and watch it on Friday. :) A weird thing happened. My movie was supposed to come Monday, and it did but it was the wrong movie- one called Shakti which was made in the '80's. It has Amitabh Bachchan in it. Anyhow I got a refund and I also get to keep the movie- The first non Shah Rukh Hindi movie I have ever owned. I had to reorder Shakti the Power and it should come tomorrow.

11. MaryAnnK

Let me know what you thought of Shakti. I have lots of his films but not this one yet! Watching the old films give some perspective to the ones we watch today! They are the films that impressed/inspired our Sweetoo!

rubyroo says thanks.
  12. rubyroo

Spoilers.

I like this movie very much. All the actors in it were excellent and compelling. The story was good. Many have talked about the violence. I didn't think it was anywhere near as violent as Shah Rukh's most disturbingly violent movie which was Anjaam. I got to admit I skipped over the beheading. Don't tell me how bad it was, I don't want to know.

Shah Rukh was absolutely wonderful in this movie. He was funny and tragic at the same time. He seemed completely selfish and lawless at first, but then unhesitatingly gave his live to save Nandani and Raj. And "Ishq Kamina"...Oh my...The song and Aishwarya's presence in it didn't seem to make any sense at first but he explained it adorably later on.

I have only 2 complaints about this movie. First Shah Rukh's sudden appearance three fourths of the way through the movie. Although I loved all the actors in it and the story was compelling and interesting, his character was just so much more vibrant and bigger than life than anyone else in the whole movie that it almost was jarring when his much anticipated first scene came along. He was so funny and cute and there had been almost no humor up to that point. It seemed too much of a departure from the feel of the movie. I don't know the remedy for that except that maybe his character ought to have been woven into the story earlier somehow as it was for the remainder of the movie. I am not complaining though because this is one of my very favorite performances he has done. I know he got hurt in this movie and I feel bad for that, but it doesn't stop me from loving the man he created in it, any more than it stops me from loving Shankar in Koyla, even though Shah Rukh got hurt in that movie also.

My other complaint is that the DVD I got is of poor quality. The dances are very pixilated. So now I am on a quest to get a decent copy of this movie because I will definitely want to watch it again, all of it, but I do promise I will watch his parts the most for sure...:)

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  13. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Only the SRK scenes were good imho and the most memorable part was the Ishq Kamina song (as out of place as it was) was great & sexy. I'm usually not a fan of SRK & Aishwarya together but liked them here.

SRK was hilarious in this one, his death scene was sad! Not really a SRK movie so not going to rate this one.