1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Devdas' started by MaryAnnK, May 8, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

This is a discussion thread. Please feel free to comment. (I see that you did!) Each of us experiences these films differently and the conversation is most welcome! I appreciate your comments because you see it with the eyes of the culture in which it is set! thank you.

rubyroo says thanks.
  2. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Devdas always wanted to please his father, but could never do it...I found it so sad that one of the first things he asks when he comes home after all that time is where is his father, saying he wasn't there when he left and he's still not there.

I can understand Paro's mom's feelings, she was so aware of their love and had been made to feel that the families were very close....from what I could tell the mothers had been very close when the children were young. But she was very wrong...Devdas's family could never forget where Paro came from. And as you said MaryAnn that ***** certainly didn't help...I really hated her too. She wanted to be the main star of the family, she was very jealous of Devdas.

Paro's mother was very hurt when she finally realized that Devdas's family would never forget where she had come from and therefore where her daughter came from too. I really think she would of done anything for her daughter's happiness, but Devdas's mother and then Devdas himself leaving as he did ruined that chance.. think he was still trying to please his father and be the son that he thought he should be. The letter he wrote to Paro says as much. The scene when he realizes he shouldn't have written it and the scene where he hits Paro "marking her with his love" is told so well. Her riding away after the marriage, with her flame in her hand.....just heartbreaking.

Devdas is so playful and happy to be home in the beginning of the movie, he just doesn't realize how much is actually expected of him. Shah Rukh portrayed this character so perfectly. Just wonderful, I felt Devdas's pain and bewilderment over what had happened in his life. I still get chills when he tells Chandramukhi of his love for her and asks her to let him go. All the actors in this film portrayed their characters perfectly. The director, the music, dances all have made this a classic movie to me.

I love this movie it is a tragic love story of two families whose lives are set by their so called place in society that sadly they are unable to change. One of my favorites.

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  3. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I love you Devdas.

Dea, MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  4. MaryAnnK

...and the more you watch it, the more there is to "get" from it! There is so much happening that it takes a lot of viewings to really get it! The first time through one is overwhelmed with just the beauty and elegance of the sets! Then Shah Rukh's acting hits you on the second time through!

Debbie and rubyroo thank this.
  5. rubyroo

So happy! Devdas is on Google Play in HD!

MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  6. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Have you watched it? Is it really HD? The preview didn't look like it........I so hope it is, it would be so wonderful!

rubyroo says thanks.
  7. rubyroo

It looks good to me so far. I don't know how to tell if it's "real" or not but it's definitely better than the DVD. I will watch all of it and try to do some screen caps.

MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  8. rubyroo

Whenever I watch Devdas I wonder was Paro right or wrong to not give him another chance after the letter he wrote? It was so understandable and realistic that she didn't forgive him. But I wish she would have. We all know the feeling he had when he realized he had made a horrible mistake because we all do such things sometimes. She was angry that he was so changeable but that was a part of his personality. He was a weak man in some ways but she ought to have borne with his weakness because she loved him so much. I wish she had been more patient with him...The bottom line for Paro was that she should not have married someone she didn't love. But it was an expected thing in her culture. If only she had stayed single Devdas could have had another chance.

And this reminds me of something I found on Pinterest today. I'm thankful for friends here that feel the way I do about these movies because Devdas and Paro and all the rest are so real to me...
    image.jpg

MaryAnnK, Debbie and Mara thank this.
  9. rubyroo

Spoilers.

In one scene where Devdas was with Chandramukhi he explained their relationship but I was too shocked at seeing him walk over broken glass barefoot, fall down a marble staircase and then almost walk off the dock into the lake to pay full attention. (No Devdas, no!) I thought because in a later scene where Chandramukhi said he wouldn't let her touch him that it meant they didn't have a physical relationship. (she must have meant she couldn't touch him emotionally) But in the earlier scene he said that when his longing for Paro became too great he would come to Chandramukhi instead. Not a very noble way to use this woman who loved him, even though she was a prostitute. I feel even more sad for her but in that lovely scene where she let her hair fall into the indoor pond and then flicked her wet hair on his face, during the discussion of the goblet of wine, she explained why she accepted him like that. Lots of symbolism and double meanings in that scene. Of course later on he did begin to love Chandramukhi but when he knew he was going to die he still went back to Paro...right now during my negative phase toward Paro I think she deserved to have him die on the doorstep of her sumptuous mansion, breaking her heart one last time.

Mara and MaryAnnK thank this.
  10. MaryAnnK

This one really, really needs to be viewed more than once to grasp the overall depth of the story. Can you imaging loving someone who loves someone else so strongly that he has to "die" on her doorstep? What did Chandramukhi go through to reach her love for him? You can love someone without having a physical relationship and you can have a physical relationship without loving someone! Oh the complicated mess we make of our earthly experiences!

Debbie, Mara and rubyroo thank this.
  11. rubyroo

So true. I think this was only about the 4th time I have seen it and I'm understanding so much more this time. With a tragic movie like this it takes a few times for me to move past the strong emotions it evokes and really pay attention to all the details.

rollercoast, MaryAnnK and Mara thank this.
  12. rubyroo

I'm back to Devdas. As I started watching it last night hearing again the beautiful music at the start, I felt overwhelmed with sadness for all the people in the world who have never had their hearts broken by Devdas.

image.jpg
    My most favorite Devdas picture.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Debbie says thanks.
  13. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

he is so heartbreaking beautiful in this movie....will try to watch some this weekend.......

rubyroo says thanks.
  14. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

I don't think Paro had a lot of choice in whether she was married or not. Her mother had made the decision and her reputation was very vulnerable. I doubt it was an option for her to stay single.
    Of course I would have preferred her to, I was even hoping she would run away with him when she visited him after her marriage, but then it wouldn't have been the same with a happily-ever-after ending, would it? :)

And no, it doesn't mean you're sane - just that we are also insane! :lol:

15. rubyroo

Yes the whole point of Devdas is tragedy to the hilt!!! If we want the same story with a happy ending we've got K3G for that.

It's ok I don't mind being insane since I'm in such good company. :)

16. rubyroo

I always think he has never been more beautiful than he was in Devdas. For that reason alone it's worth watching. But to me it is one of the more perfect movies in existence.

Debbie says thanks.
  17. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I agree, it is so beautifully filmed....wish I could see it on the big screen as it was meant to be seen.

rubyroo says thanks.
  18. rubyroo

That would be so wonderful.

Debbie says thanks.
  19. rubyroo

Immersed in Devdas- watching Devdas (every scene at least twice), reading Devdas, painting Devdas. I'll get over it sometime...but seriously I love this movie so much.

Debbie and Mara thank this.
  20. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

I love this movie, this is one of SRK's sadder movies. SRK gave an outstanding performance, one of his best no doubt! Its just so sad to see Dev's downward spiral and destroying himself & SRK's portrayal is so convincing. You feel for him & suffer with him.

His character was just too weak willed, he could have taken Paro with him, he could have moved on from Paro with Chandramukhi (he clearly loved the latter too), stop with the drinking etc. but didn't do any of that.

Madhuri as Chandramukhi was breathtaking, loved her in this movie. Every scene she was in was great, so graceful & beautiful in this movie. Maar Dala is the best song by far because of her and the great vocals.

I think she was far stronger than Aishwarya Rai who is just too fake in her movies. I don't see any chemistry between her and SRK either. She is the weak link no doubt which is a big shame, with a better actress this movie would have been even better.

I rooted for Dev & Chandramukhi (great chemistry, like their scenes the most) but already knew this was a tragic story so that was not going to happen. I think Jackie Shroff was also really good here, a real bro (more than his real brother).

I found Kumud (the crazy sister in law) to be a bit too cartoony and over the top though. It seemed strange that no one noticed her evilness. I think Dev's mother deserved all the sadness she got in her life, she humiliated Paro's mother and ruined everything. The ending was so sad (SRK is just great at dying in his movies, as strange as that sounds) but very fitting.

9.5/10, could have been a 10/10 with a better Paro and less cartoony sister in law. Its a very well made movie in every way, the sets are gorgeous & the budget was obviously very big. One of SRK's best, can't believe people are saying Bajirao Mastani was better than this.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016