1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Devdas' started by MaryAnnK, May 8, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

This is one that I did not understand for a while. I had to have a few Bollywood stories under my belt before I could believe that a father had so much power over his daughter, and then the husband!!! I could not understand why. And then poor Devadas, struggling in his relationship with his father and needing his father's acceptance. I think now when I watch all of my questions are resolved and I can sit back and enjoy the performances. It is the saddest thing I think I have ever watched.

2. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

this movie had me in tears :Cry:
    cant remember the first time I watched it, I think at that time I didnt know hindi very well but in many scenes there were tears in his eyes and his face was depressed :hurt:

I watched it again now and I have to say that I LOVE SRK's acting in this movie, awesome stuff :thumb:

I wish Dev just took paro with him when he was going away from home then there would have been a happy ending :D
    but then there would have been no film :p

Devdas forever says thanks.
  3. AnitaK

AnitaK Member

This is one of my favorite films EVER. Everything about it makes it a classic - the story, the sets, the costumes, the actors and actresses, the music - everything. What's funny is I can imagine reading the story or seeing the movie and not liking it at all because the story is such a disaster, but the 3 main characters, Shah Rukh, Ash, and Madhuri, all three just stole my heart. I felt I could truly understand why all 3 of them made the choices they made.

What stands out most about this film to me (besides the overall excellent acting) is the scenes leading up to Dev's death and the death scene. NO ONE can die like Shahrukhji. In many films when actors have to die it feels like they are trying to win your sympathy. But SRK (being the GENIUS that he is) almost goes to the opposite extreme because it seemed to me even if I did sympathize with him he would reject it. This was a very strong nuance of the character that I believe only he could bring out.

I am so obsessed with this film that I have 2 special edition copies of it and a third 3-disk version I just bought on the way!!!

MaryAnnK and Devdas forever thank this.
  4. Elahe

Elahe Dil To Shahrukhee hai!

Devdas is just a masterpiece, I mean people who believe Bollywood has nothing to offer should watch it and at the end they will change their minds, I mean they will at least appreciate the performances, the beautiful choreography and the amazingly detailed sets! I personally always liked shahrukh working with ash, even though I'm not a big fan of hers but I truly believe they looked good together, to my eyes shahrukh is as good looking a man as ash is among women!
    Some of my favourite scenes are
    1. when dev is looking at paro in the moonlight and burns his hand without feeling the pain
    2. when Dev first teases paro and then later whispers in her ears how much he has missed her while he has been away, his eyes can killllll, I mean no one could have done it like shahrukh
    3. when Dev hits Paro's head so that is starts bleeding, his face, his eyes and his whole performance is mesmorizing, also his whole impatience in morey piya is sooooo attractive
    4. when Dev follows Paro as she leaves with her husband's family, his sadness is soooo intense and deep
    5. when chandramukhi's wet hair sit on shahrukh's face! how his face shows that he is tolerating this woman still fighting with himself to resist her!!!!
    6. the ending!!!! even though its the saddest ending ever yet it is sooooo well directed and soooo well performed by shahrukh and also ash, it makes it unforgetable!
    I can always hear his voice as he whispers paaaro, that's how much this movie has affected me;)

Devdas forever and MaryAnnK thank this.
  5. MaryAnnK

I just ordered the Dilip Kumar version of Devdas! I am only halfway through. It is interesting, but, again, I am going to have to watch it a few times to appreciate it. I will let you know later. Shah Rukh is always being compared with Dilip Kumar, but I don't know yet!

6. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I too have thought about doing this, let us know what you think.

7. MaryAnnK

I really like old Hindi films! I am familiar with Dilip Kumar.

That said, I am not sure what to think. I could see the scenes that were retained in the SRK Devdas, we see more of the younger antics of Dev-Paro. The story just moved to slow for me. Shah Rukh's acting really made Devdas for me. I could not become involved in the Dilip character. So, not that it was a bad film, just got spoiled by our Sweetoo's acting!! I really needed to see what all the fuss has been about. I will probably watch it again because one viewing is not enough when reading subtitles. I will comment again one day!

mira_khan and Debbie thank this.
  8. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

Devdas... my first and forever bollywood love...
    I didn't see the old version, I'll try to find it just for a comparation... but for me, Shah Rukh was fabulous in it
    I saw lot of sad films but this one is special, the first part is so fresh, so classicly romantic... but from the meeting of Shandramukhi, the intonnation changes, more than sadness, it's really peinfull to see that man who would be a great rich lawer becoming just an alchoolic man spending his time in bordel!
    He makes you feel his destruction like yours , I remember I cried more after the movie ... The impression of sadness follows me many days after... ok the story is wonderfull, but few actors can have that impact on viewers
    I read a critic saying that Shah Rukh Khan is the only actor who can pass from a happy face to tears and return back in the moment after... also the only one who can have this two contradictions at the same moment...
    When Paro is going with her husband and go to see him in his home... their separation, his tears when his freind asks him if he had love problems... when he let Shandramukhi touch him for the first time... God... many other scenes I can't describe with words!

MaryAnnK and Alenka thank this.
  9. kiran23

kiran23 Music and SRK

Celebrating 10years of DEVDAS today ♥

Apne hisse ki zindagi to hum jee chuke chunni babu,
    Ab to bas dhadkanon ka lihaj karte hain,
    Magar kya karen duniya walon ka,
    Jo aakhari saans par bhi aitaraz karte hain. ♥
    :)

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  10. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Spoilers.

This movie has gorgeous, sumptuous sets and costumes. It has beautiful songs and dances. Madhuri and Aishwarya are lovely and fitting to portray the two woman in the life of Devdas. Yet Shah Rukh effortlessly dominates the movie. He was so real, a real man who was not even a lovable man, but as he has shown us many times before, his ability to make us feel sympathy for an unlovable human being is unmatched.

Shah Rukh has made me cry more in other movies, but only with Devdas did I wake up with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat in the middle of the night after seeing it for the first time.

Why did he have to die? Why didn't Paro melt into his arms when he came back to rescue her at the last possible moment from a loveless marriage? Why did he realize too late that he had come to love Chandramukhi? Why did he begin his final journey to Paro's home when he was too far away to reach her before his death?

As a little boy Devdas was cruelly punished for his attachment to Paro. It seemed like when he came back home he had decided that he could have what he wanted after all. He must have known he would face opposition, that firmness and resolve would be required. But when the opposition came, he willfully reenacted the first scene of his love story.

The first time he was made to leave. The second time he decided to leave. By leaving without Paro and writing the letter denying their love he was agreeing with his father that he ought not to ever have her, the one thing that could bring him happiness.

In life we so often get better than we deserve. This is called mercy. But Devdas tragically got everything he had coming to him. It happened so only because his greatest strength and his greatest weakness was that he had no mercy on himself. His inability to forgive himself was what precipitated his willful descent into death. Thus we were compelled to watch him grow more and more fragile before our eyes until his story finally ended as it had begun, with Paro running and running to say goodbye to him but never never reaching him in time.

Christian Bale, another great actor, has said that he does not draw from personal experience in his acting because it would cheapen his real life experiences to do so.

Shah Rukh thinks just the opposite and has said so in an interview recently. I believe that this a big part of the reason he is so loved. He has a need to give his heart and the sum of all he is to us in his acting. It makes him irresistible.

Any admirer of Shah Rukh will surely find that the experience of seeing him become Devdas adds greatly to the depth of their feelings for him because he reveals true suffering and true sadness in this movie and there is nothing more compelling than truth.

MaryAnnK, mira_khan and Prerna Dewan thank this.
  11. rubyroo

Actually if Devdas had run away with Paro there still would be a movie and it's called Kabhi Khushie Kabhie Gham, only their names are changed to Rahul and Anjali.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  12. rubyroo

I feel no need to watch any other version or read the book because Shah Rukh is Devdas for me and I don't want any other! The first time I watched it I found it almost too troubling to be enjoyable. The second time I decided not to fast forward through any parts as I often do with SRK movies. (I never skip the parts he is in of course!) I wanted to just savor all the beautiful stuff in it because I love looking at beautiful things. As I did so, I started falling in love with this movie. As someone said above there are understandable reasons why each of the 3 main characers behaved as they did. All the characters in it are wonderful. The plot is so artistic. I love the symmetry of so much of the story, for example, both the first and last word we hear from Devdas is Paro. I believe Devdas is the next DVD I will buy.

MaryAnnK and mira_khan thank this.
  13. MaryAnnK

You know, Rubyroo, the more you watch it, the more you will learn. There is so much in this film that is related to their culture that until you understand it, it is difficult to catch the nuances. I truly enjoy watching this each time because I catch something in a scene, a glance, a song lyric... just little things that add to my understanding and enjoyment!

mira_khan and rubyroo thank this.
  14. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

I'm like you Mary, every time i watch it, i have a new impression, like discovering something new about the character... first time i didn't agree with Paro in her decision to not go with him in her mariage, but finally i found it so logical, from the beginig she so conceited , sosure about her beauty, her power on Devdas... something he never appreciate...
    i didn't understand why he hurt her at the first time... i don't remember if i tought he's linking her to him like a husband or it's for making a mark on her moony face... finally it's these two reasons
    Chandramukhi... i didn't understand at the first time why he don't let her touching him... just because she isn't pure?... but finally, Devdas is very traditionalist and i think she was un untouchable person.
    i saw it more than 100 times and i just understand last month that when he want to offer her the bracelet... they play a game of reading hand's lines... in their game he shows her that she'll be maried and live until being a very old woman... she told him that he'll never be marriedwhat makes him ungry... that was a prediction, really what happen after all
    and lot of small details that i see with a newer view every time i watch it

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  15. MaryAnnK

That is what I am talking about. Just little things that add depth to the story!

rubyroo and mira_khan thank this.
  16. MaryAnnK

As I was watching this last night and this morning, I kept wondering about little things! The sister-in-law Kumud: Oh, my gosh! I just want to strangle that *****. How could the mother tolerate her incessant whining and negativity? And then to top it all off, she believes her story and does not give Dev a chance to even tell his side or explain what had just happened! I watched the mother's character a lot this time around. Where was her love for her son? What had she expected of Dev after all that had happened to him? He was sent away from home for years and then gets so angry when he returns and sees Paro first. I might be able to understand this a little bit, but just a little over-reaction?

I do feel sorry for Dev to a degree. In a culture that demands children give full obedience to the parents, especially the father, what was he to do? He was craving his father's love. He wanted to so please him and get/earn his father's love! When we see Dev as he hears of his father's demise, he wipes a tear away from his cheek! There were some feelings hidden deep down inside him. He shows up for the funeral service drunk, which is how he had been living: with his emotions totally drowned out in alcohol.

Our emotional inner self is formed so young in our lives! We see the world through glasses colored by our earliest experiences. What were Dev's early experiences with his father? Cruelty? How did Dev relate to Paro? Cruelty. He really did not know how to maintain a loving relationship because he had not truly had a loving relationship. What did love mean to him? Am I asking the wrong question?

But, I got the reference finally at the end, when the camera is panning away from Dev after his last breath. The tattoo of Dev-P! An incomplete tattoo: an incomplete relationship with his mother, father, life, Paro!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    rubyroo says thanks.
  17. rubyroo

I only got through part of it last night. Shah Rukh did such a good job showing the anger of Dev. ( Oh my he has been angry Dev in 2 different movies!) I keep thinking of K3G. It was good to watch these 2 movies close together because they portray very different treatments of the same theme. It is interesting that both Rahul and Devdas were ready to obey their autocratic fathers, one out of love and one out of fear. Yet the loved and loving son ended up going against his father's wishes while the unloved one "objected" yet very cruelly carried out his fathers command. ( The letter he wrote to Paro was quite cruel and harsh.) Devdas could have done exactly as Rahul did. He was well educated and needed not to be financially dependent on his parents. The choices the 2 men made were totally consistent with the way each of them had been brought up by their parents.

I'm ready to continue watching Devdas destroy himself this evening when my work is done for the day. It is a somewhat painful process but at least I can enjoy how gorgeous he looked while doing it. And I will be happy to meet sweet Chandramukhi again.

18. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

Why are you asking you these questions? Just a rhetoric or you want answers? I think its just a dysfunctional joint family.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  19. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

I was in college when Devdas released. I loved it then. The climax was splendid. The sets superb. Madhuri heavenly. etc etc etc..

When I look back at it now, I only see a pattern of cruelty, suffering inflicted from one aggressive character over another passive one. It circles with aggressive, passive aggressive, passive behavior without once coming to a normal assertive character. Perhaps only Paro's dad is normal in the film. It is sort of scary for me.

Incidentally, the author who wrote it regretted writing it. I think its too much of an imbalanced world, with Dev becoming, the ultimate scapegoat because he didn't develop a healthier non-alcoholic way to cope with his father's anger, his mother's spite and Paro's pride...

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  20. rubyroo

I think that Paro's mom reacted and acted very normally too. Even though she was so flamboyant, she had natural, understandable feelings and impulses. I enjoyed her joyful exuberance, even while cringing at the trouble she was exacerbating for Paro and Devdas. I noticed that even though she had determined to marry Paro off to a wealthy man to get back at the neighbors for the HORRIBLE way they treated her and her family, she told Paro, "this is a test for Devdas too." She would have accepted his marriage to Paro even after all that happened if Devdas had passed the test. (which was entirely up to him.) Of course the arranged marriage was wrong but not according to her cultural traditions.

How sad that the author is most famous for a story he regretted writing...

MaryAnnK says thanks.