1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughts

Discussion in 'Oh Darling Yeh Hai India' started by shublee, May 7, 2009.

1. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Shah was amazing in this scene, to do all those lines! It is wonderful to watch him and so early in his career. One question, did your copy have subtitles to the songs? Mine did not and I find that very frustrating. The music and lyrics seemed to mean alot to this movie...

rubyroo says thanks.
  2. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I hate it when there aren't subtitles for songs. They are always important for the movie. Mine does have them. Maybe I can take some notes for you.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  3. Misty45

Misty45 Well-Known Member

things at beginning and end.[/quote]
    Thanks rubyroo, I am just testing now by deleting part of your message. Though if you've been on Twitter you will see that I'm not having a good day technically!

rubyroo says thanks.
  4. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

That's ok, I've seen the songs with subs, just not during the movie. Do you own yours? If so where did you buy? I will have to get another copy I guess.....mine has about had it anyway.

5. rubyroo

I got it from Amazon. It is kind of expensive. around $18. It seems to be a hard to find one.
    Ok we found it on Ebay today for cheaper and it's the same brand of DVD as mine. (Moserbaer) so it should have the subtitles for songs. One thing I don't like about Moserbaer is they have a fairly large watermark in the upper left the corner all through the movie which is a little distracting, but at least its a legitimate brand and not pirated. Here's the link if you are interested:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oh-Darling-...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item4ab8c071f5

Debbie says thanks.
  6. Misty45

Just got my copy of ODYHI today and watched it this evening.
    I have to say that it is the biggest piece of nonsense I have seen in a long time......But wouldn't have missed it for the world!
    Too tired to write about it now, so reserving my thoughts for another day:D

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  7. rubyroo

Glad you liked it!

Misty45 says thanks.
  8. Misty45

Continued.....

Contains Spoilers:

This movie was so silly right from the flimsy plot-line of Hero falling in love with a …..Lady of the Night… on so slight an acquaintance, to the idea of the villain pimping the country India , like a prostitute, to the highest bidder in an attempt to rule.
    The corny characters, Don Kihote (Don Quixote) looking for all the world like Max Von Sydow’s Emperor Ming In ‘Flash Gordon’, his son Prince Don and Hero’s father the Pimp.
    Loved the fact that some of my favourite actors from other SRK films played these parts:
    Amrish Puri as Don Kihote
    Anupam Kher as the fake/president
    Tinnu Annand as the father/pimp

Like Rubyroo, though, I had to watch the film all over again to appreciate the Humour and Irony of it.
    Loved the opening scenes which introduce us to ‘Hero’ aka SRK.
    So nice to see a young SRK seemingly fresh out of acting school.
    SRK excels himself in his comedy role, showing what an excellent actor he really is.
    So nice to see SRK sing and dance so much!

I also loved the Prison sequence. Shahrukh’s ‘fast-talking’ , Rubyroo, reminds me of a musical version of Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors I have. In fact the whole sequence reminds me of a Shakespearian comedy, especially SRK’s acting! He has the ability to well-and-truly ‘ham-it-up’! Much to my delight and hopefully yours too.

Then, there is Hero’s wooing of Miss India.
    Yes, I agree about Shahrukh using the word Pyar, OMG! I could melt….:bump:
    He is totally poetic in this scene.
    Who wouldn’t fall in love with this soliloquy?:heart:

Quote:
    “Love is the intoxication that robs of you peace and sleep
    You feel like talking to the other-of belonging to her and making her belong to you
    One feels like living
    Love is the spring of life where blossoms the roses of imagination
    Love gives poetry its music
    It evokes desire, spawns off a thousand stories and gives it ecstasy
    Love gives the future meaning
    It gives the past identity
    It brings two strangers together
    It gives a journey its destination”

And then Miss India spoils it all by replying
    “Love eh? That’s right up my alley!”

Then, I liked the vulnerability of Hero’s character. When the son Of Don overcomes Hero and takes Miss India back to his ‘Lair’ to’ have his way with her’, Hero chases after them when he has recovered. He then holds a conversation with himself and gives us a ‘will I, won’t I’ sequence, splitting himself in to two personas to decide whether to persue them, or give up on Miss India.
    I love the way that his love for Miss India makes him strong.
    Finally deciding to continue his pursuit, we see him throw himself to the ground and pray to God to help him. His prayers are immediately answered by a boy who shows him where they have gone.
    Next is an amazing fight sequence between Hero and Prince Don. Love these fight sequences because it shows SRK’s skills in both fighting and acrobatics. Which other actor could be as convincing as he is when screaming with agony after having a spear thrust into his foot?
    Then we get to the truly farcical bit of the movie. The selling of India to the highest bidder!
    Like the way that Hero, pretending to be Don exclaims over how little the bidders value the Indian people and tries to increase the bidding to reflect the true value.
    As for the ending….
    When Hero comes back to save the day and tries to get the help of the Street people, they can’t seem to differentiate between India (the country) and Miss India, as though they are one and the same!
    Then it all gets very silly again with a ‘Free-for-all’ fight involving Hero, Don, Street people , bidders etc. and helped along by high powered hose-pipes. Any excuse to ‘Get Wet’!
    I loved the poetic justice meted out to the villains. To the fake president, for trying to sell India, coming to a very sticky end. Don, being killed by mini Indian Flags!
    Then the climax of the film as the baddie, Hero and Miss India plunge out of a window to certain death and Hero and Miss India are saved by the Flag of India serving as a parachute to enable them a safe landing!
    Oh Darling Yeh Hai India!:p

P.S. I agree about the film being very dark. Whether this was just because it was a poor copy (Rubyroo’s and mine were both by Moserbaer) or whether it was just because it all took place at night I don’t know. If I thought that it might be better on Blu-ray, the kids wouldn’t be getting any Christmas presents. I’d be buying myself a Blu-ray player instead!:D

Sorry if I’ve waffled on a bit, but I hope more people decide to watch this one and ignore the negative comments I’ve seen elsewhere.:)

MaryAnnK, Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  9. rubyroo

Thanks for the delightful review! Well done!
    You liked most everything I did.

-Hero falling in love so fast: Isn't that just typical of SRK characters? In this movie he actually didn't fall in love quite so instantly as he often does! Of course Miss India is not at all the typical nice girl he falls for, but a little change is appreciated now and then, by me at least.

-The villain's corny plan to take over India: don't these super villains always have a corny plan? I actually thought it was pretty creative as these things go.

Thanks for quoting Hero's soliloquy on love. The words in English are lovely, but hearing SRK say them in Hindi is absolutely to die for. I suppose every language has its own beauty and I'm pretty partial to my own, but all these months of listening to that lovely voice saying all those Hindi words in all those Hindi movies has got me pretty convinced that there is no more beautiful language than Hindi.

I did love the part where he had an argument with himself about rescuing Miss India. He was so cute the way he jumped back and forth over the center line of the road as he switched between sides of the argument.

I LOLed so hard at the auctioning of India. As you noted, Hero started running up the bid after he calculated that the per Indian person amount being offered was way too low. So those two penniless street people ran the bid up to 1000 trillion dollars- more money than the world contains I'm pretty sure. I guess the film makers believe that their country is priceless. I think I got to agree with that.

Misty45 and Jasmine thank this.
  10. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Maybe on our next movie marathon, we will pick a few of them that are lesser known and/or lesser "appreciated" and see what we can do!

Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  11. rubyroo

that would be awesome.

12. rubyroo

I watched all through it very slowly this time doing screen caps which are posted here:
    http://www.planetsrk.com/community/threads/oh-darling-yeh-hai-india-in-pics.1305/page-9
    It was hard doing them because the whole movie is so dark and mostly in very soft focus, as if filmed through cheesecloth. I am glad I did it though. It really made me notice the lighting which is quite beautiful. Most scenes have a blue light yet the faces are kept warm which gives us that blue orange color scheme which I like so much. Figures and faces were often back lit or rim lit with this blue light. I think the most wonderful part of the movie was from where Hero and Miss India were released from jail until the end of the fountain scene. It is well worth having the movie for just that part alone, but there is lots of other good stuff in it. I always quite enjoy watching it especially since after the first time I only watch the parts with Shah Rukh in them.:)

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  13. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I really enjoy the the first half of the movie, even though mine has no subs for the songs....I know enough Hindi to get the general drift and I have found when the subs aren't there I watch the movie much more closely...especially enjoy Shah's scene in the jail, great scene!
    I do not like the end though, it is disgustingly violent.....do not want to watch that again, I kept cringing waiting for the violence, but I hadn't remembered how gross it was.....will watch the movie again but fast forward through much of the ending.....
    Really an interesting movie, surprised at the strong political statement on the corruption at that time in India....

14. MaryAnnK

rubyroo says thanks.
  15. MaryAnnK

I am having a difficult time making myself sit down to watch this.

Debbie and rubyroo thank this.
  16. rubyroo

Awe, if its not fun don't! Just think the next one is Don. That will be easy I bet. :)

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  17. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

If ya don't want to don't! :) And if you do....do........I'd only watch the first half if any of it anyway.......

18. rubyroo

I really don't like the ending. The violence like you said is pretty gross and parachuting with the flag of India is a lame idea. Also I waited the whole movie to see daylight and then the daylight was smoggy and hazy and murky. I was happy that Hero and Miss India survived their dangerous night and that he was no longer terminally ill, but that's about it.

MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  19. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

When I read that the creator of Maya Memsaab made this I knew it would suck and it definitely did. But at least it doesnt take itself as seriously.

Never liked Deepa Sahi with SRK and he is just ok here.The young charming SRK can be seen in plenty of his other earlier (and better) movies, kind of becomes boring.

But the sheer ridiculousness of the plot (selling India, President doubles etc.) is just hilarious, the director must have been on some drug trip while he made this lol. The sudden violence sequences were disgusting though and not needed in such a silly movie. I'm sure the director was thinking something DEEP here.

2/10

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016