1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughts

Discussion in 'Anjaam' started by shublee, Apr 26, 2009.

1. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

Im working overtime at the moment with this marathon! i missed alot and im catching up with them because I suddenly found myself with a lot of time in my hands and now I have my own laptop, I can watch the movies any time and not have to get permission beforhand! :D

If anyone has seen it, please comment...

2. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

It's a weird movie...incredibly cruel and morally dubious - depending on how one views the issue of revenge. Maybe I'm crazy, but I like it.
    I like SRK as a spoilt, crazy, obsessive sociopath - can't help it, I have a soft spot for the bad boys. I like the strength and determination of Madhuri's character. And I liked the ending, it might have been shocking but it worked well, in my opinion.

As an added bonus - Madhuri's dancing is always a pleasure to watch.

3. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

wow, at least i know im not alone! i also liked SRK as the spoilt pshycopath, IMO i think theres not enough of SRK in this movie and only one song?! :scared: when i first watched it thats what i felt, i did watch it again a couple months back when it gave on tv as well

when SRK's on screen he has my attention and when he's not, well the film goes by on screen

4. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I have had a while to digest this movie after watching it for only the second time. This is a film at the bottom of my list. I found that to me the character that Shah Rukh plays does not have enough of my sympathy to make me like him at all. We can watch Darr and Baazigar and see him throw Shilpa from the roof top, but we like him for some reason. No, we do not approve of his actions, but there is something in the character that we connect with. I do not find myself connecting with Vijay at all! Spoiled brat! Cruel! Selfish! I could not find one redeeming quality about him. I wanted to jump up and cheer when she pushed the wheelchair into the pool. I also wondered if Vijay were just faking his illness when she was caring for him. Was he taking advantage of her caring nature, after all the cruel things that had happened to her because of him! I was extremely saddened to see her die at the end. I needed to see her triumph over the evil guy!

Nope, I did not like his character. The only good thing in the whole film is the song. You seemed to see a glimmer of someone sweet under all of his craziness but it didn't last past the song. Unlike the other negative characters he has portrayed, this one was only negative. The only other character that I could compare him to was the guy in Hum Tumhare where he is so selfish and jealous. It was hard to like him there too. I look at Shah Rukh and see such sweetness that these characters just don't cut it for me.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  5. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

haven't watched this one yet...really looking forward to watching it when i get the oopportunity

6. frenchfan

frenchfan mornings best dealt with dark as nite coffee.

I agree with Luxia... I can't help but being seduced by his charm...
    even though I feel very uncomfortable with the violence and cruelty of that film...specially the part where Madhuri is in jail, and loses her daughter... that's too much for me...

but I really loves the last part, where ShahRukh is in his weelchair...very touching... I love his way of acting and his face...
    and for me the ending works!

7. Elahe

Elahe Dil To Shahrukhee hai!

I also like the movie, I'm embarrassed to say that I sure could have fallen for the obsessed crazy selfish and definitely psychotic guy I guess...:( but he truly is a cruel vicious person I admit
    I really like the song chane ke khet mein, and shahrukh's facial expressions in it. I also like badi mushkil hai. kinda fun, with that hair style of his! LOL
    I find the story a bit disturbing, I mean how much can a woman take... yet its quite interesting and it ends exactly the way it should, any of them staying ALIVE wouldn't have been digested well
    again for me the very best thing about this movie is SHAHRUKH, SHAHRUKH, and SHAHRUKH

8. iamsrking

iamsrking Well-Known Member

Watched this film just now, it's midnight my time, but didn't feel sleepy, must put down some of my thoughts then I can sleep ... don't have more expections when I begun watching this film, the initial purpose is to move it to my Watched list of SRK films. But ... what can I say? When I finished it, I just say this is very special film ... I changed my guess of plots again and again when watching, and I was shocked, especially the last 30 mins ... even I am not quite like this ending, but what else ending is good than this one, and no serial for sure ...

For Shah Rukh, feel strongly again what's he said"When I’m good, I’m good, but when I’m bad I’m even better", so glad he acted this "bad" character in his early period, his acting is very impressed. The one's body can be saved but who can save his soul ? Maybe this is what he want to tell us ...

No 100% "good" and No 100% "bad", no hope made "Shah Rukh" mad and no hope also made "Madhurix" full of hate ... in some way, they are similar ... escape and revenge are not the ways of solving the problem ...

This will be interesting if we have time to review all his negative roles before DON2 release, to see how "bad" he was ... :biggrin1:

Jasmine says thanks.
  9. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

this is an amazing movie and an excellent performance words cannot express it at all the sad thing is he didnt get hte national award - they are bias and dont like him is all i can say

10. MaryAnnK

Look what I found!(Could someone please translate the title of the song for me, please?)

Here again we can see the very serious/bad character and you know just by looking at him that he is not a nice fellow! But I believe this as well. Another character that I believe. Not that I care for him but I do believe he is who he is!!!

Jasmine says thanks.
  11. SharlaJ

SharlaJ Well-Known Member

MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  12. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

In Anjaam, Shah Rukh Khan played a negative roll very skillfully. His previous negative rolls, in Baazigar and Darr were also skillfully played. There was a big difference to me, though, in the negative rolls of the first two films compared to his negative roll in Anjaam. In his negative rolls in Baazigar and Darr, Shah Rukh Khan stirred sympathy in my heart for him. In his negative roll in Anjaam, however, he did not stir any sympathy in my heart for him. This film shows his diversity as an actor within negative rolls, to be able to play so thoroughly a negative character, with no qualities deserving sympathy. I admire Shah Rukh Khan’s acting ability in this film. But, I did not like this film.

Madhuri Dixit was outstanding in this film. Her incredible beauty, with and without make-up on stood out very strong. Her absolutely amazing dancing ability was a highlight in this film. And her acting ability was phenomenal. I think that Madhuri Dixit is a high quality actress and, similar to Juhi Chawla and Kajol, a good match with Shah Rukh Khan.

All the scenes in this film with Shah Rukh Khan are memorable. From his complete cockiness when he first met Madhuri Dixit and ended up with cake in his face; to following her in airplanes as she did her job as an airline hostess; to when he showed up at Madhuri Dixit’s luxurious home before he beat up her husband; up to the very end when he was begging, once again, for her to tell him that she loved him. A scene where I was especially impressed with his acting ability was when he was in his wheelchair and unable to function normally. Shah Rukh Khan did that part very well.

Shah Rukh Khan’s character’s great need to have Madhuri Dixit’s character love him is an aspect of this film which would be interesting to explore. However, I don’t want my mind resting on this film any longer. There were events in the film which were repulsive and horrifying to me. My heart is very tender, and it was painful for me to view quite a bit of the film. I do not want to revisit these events by writing about them. I love Shah Rukh Khan. I admire him and believe he is an incredible actor. As in previous films, this film confirms, once again, how talented he is.

13. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Spoilers.

I never can approve of a movie where there are no characters that I like or feel sympathy for. I had hopes that Shivani would redeem this story by rising above the inhumanity of those who harmed her and triumphing in some way. Her metamorphosis into an avenging angel who ended up with a higher body count than any of her enemies was certainly not edifying. She achieved what seemed impossible during the course of the movie and made me actually feel sorry for Vijay in the end. So points for SRK!

In this movie we got 2+ hours of unrelenting wickedness and violence. I was longing to see someone display some simple love and humanity. Then finally Shivani was so nice and kind and seemingly forgiving in her care for the disabled Vijay. What a relief! Except all the time I just knew she was only making him well so she could kill him in a more satisfying manner. And I was right. Boo!

SRK was as gorgeous as usual and his acting was amazing. I would not have minded a bit that he simply wallowed in his wickedness if so many other people had not been wicked as well- it was just too much. Madhuri Dixit was beautiful, especially when she became the avenging angel, but what an incredibly hideous movie. I guess it helped SRK's career so there is that anyway.

I just comfort myself with the thought that there are a slew of lovely movies out there in which to enjoy our beautiful and charming Shah Rukh, so I don't ever have to watch this one again.

Alenka, MaryAnnK and Jasmine thank this.
  14. MaryAnnK

The one redeeming aspect was the song, Badi Mushkil Hai! He was so likeable in that song,but it never translated to the film story! Why?

Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  15. rubyroo

He was very cute in some scenes, especially in the beginning. It just got buried in the ugliness that happened later...

Jasmine says thanks.
  16. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

You've convinced me, I'm not watching again. I have it so I have all his films, but right now is not a good time for me to watch this movie.

Jasmine, rubyroo and MaryAnnK thank this.
  17. rubyroo

It looked like it belonged in some other movie. I will go back and watch that part again sometimes!

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  18. rubyroo

Spoilers...

I just can't leave this movie behind. I went back and watched some parts again, and I know now that I will watch the whole thing again eventually.

Shah Rukh was awesome of course, but the thing I can't forget is the performance of Madhuri Dixit. She was really quite wonderful. It just occurred to me that I am guilty of having a double standard about her character. Her character was actually the same as the character of Ajay in Baazigar, except the bad things that happened to her were even more intolerable than the things that happened to Ajay. (for example, having her unborn baby deliberately killed by the evil prison matron.) They both reacted in the same way by seeking revenge, which was wrong, but understandable in both cases. This is why I need to watch it again sometime so I can figure out if she was a tragic heroine. I think she was in spades...

I loved her in the funny parts, like when she mixed the drink for Vijay on the airplane. The interactions between the two were priceless. She was hilarious when she was a paan vendor- spitting in her pocket (and it was so funny to see the admiring way Vijay watched her do it...), and when she was lathering up Vijay's face to shave him- she was holding his head with her thumb braced on his nose- so cute! (both in the song Badi Muskil Hai)

She was extremely beautiful all throughout, both with the full Bollywood makeup job and even more so without it in the later parts of the movie.

Her performance was particularly brilliant when she was nursing Vijay back to health. She was quite tender in her behavior toward him, but you could always see the vengefulness that was still seething just below the surface. The way it all ended was no surprise if you were paying attention!

I hate violence, and I didn't watch all of it in Anjaam, even with my first viewing, but it really is very cool that a woman got to do all the mixed martial arts stuff and kill more wicked people than any one else in the movie. Usually only men get to do those things!

I have no doubt at all that the things Shivani experienced were true to life. Women are often treated badly in this wicked world, in fact sometimes even worse than in Anjaam, and a movie that doesn't shy away from showing this is admirable really. I just wish there had been a better solution produced in the end.

I am interested to see how I feel about the love triangle in Dil To Pagal Hai when I watch it again. I was always a little disgruntled that Rahul didn't fall in love with Nisha instead of Pooja. Maybe I will have to change my mind about that. Also I just can't wait to see Madhuri in Devdas. I know I'm going to love her even more.

Alenka, Debbie, MaryAnnK and 2 others thanked this.
  19. rubyroo

Back again! I watched most of this again while getting screen caps. I didn't understand before that Ajay was mentally ill. Every time he was especially stressed about his non possession of Shivani, he displayed a tic- a kind of jerking of his arm and hand. I saw this time that he did it from the very start. He really was crazy although that doesn't excuse the wicked things he did.

MaryAnnK and Jasmine thank this.
  20. MaryAnnK

I will put in here again:

chane ke khet mein with english subtitles

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T-CO7g8gvys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This film does not come up in the movie marathon until the end of January. Let's make a go of it for comments then!