1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughts

Discussion in 'Main Hoon Na' started by shublee, Apr 26, 2009.

1. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

I missed the date for it but I caught up with it.

The movie is brilliant, Farah & SRK sure know how to entertain! The whole going back to college thing is so nice and theres alot of humour in it. I love the way the story rolls out, and I love the ending when the mother excepts Ram as part of her family again.

Of course the songs are all amazing, i like every single one. My favourite has to Tumse Milke :D

2. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

I used to watch this one whenever I needed something to improve my mood and it worked each time. It's definitely one of the most enjoyable of SRK's movies. It's wacky and brilliantly funny...and has SRK in a military uniform! It almost can't get any better than that!

3. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

^ the uniform! SRK looked so GOOD in the scenes where he wears them!

4. AnitaK

AnitaK Member

This is one of my favorite SRK movies. It has it all - it's funny, it's sad, it's entertaining, it's got action, it's got romance (of course) and the music is fantastic! This is another film that lets us see the many faces of Shahrukh. And I always love happy endings!

5. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Happys endings!!

6. MaryAnnK

My goodness, it has been a long time since I commented on this one!
    Who can resist a man in uniform? Who can resist Ram? Not me!!
    I love how he disappears into his characters, no matter who they are! The soft, gentle Ram or Major Ram, it doesn't matter!
    :heart:

Alenka and rubyroo thank this.
  7. MaryAnnK

I am so enjoying watching this one today. I have not watched it for so long!!
    I listen in on the Farah's comments every once in a while to get a little background and that adds to the enjoyment as well.
    It has made me really look forward to Happy New Year! I hope I am not disappointed. she really does have a fun eye for direction.

rubyroo says thanks.
  8. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I enjoyed listening to her commentary on the movie once. She is very creative and original. Main Hoon Na is one of my favorites. Something that I was especially struck with when I watched it this time was the wonderful colors that were used in the song Tumse Milke Dil Ka Jo Haal. Quite delicious.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  9. rubyroo

He did have an irresistible combination of toughness and gentle sweetness in this movie. It seems unlikely someone could be that way, but he made it totally believable.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  10. Debby

Debby ''Stand by Him Always"

He is gorgeous in this one..but then he is in all of them. Love how his whole character changes when he becomes Major Ram...love the dream/dance sequence with Sushmita Sen, have always like them together and wish they'd do a full movie. She seems more mature and better fitted to him then many of these young girls.

Again, disgusted by Kirron Kher's character, not only did she ruin her life but the life of her son, and Ram and her husbands. She did a good job of making me hate her. What a difference between this "mother" and the mother in Kal Ho Naa Ho.....one so selfish and the other so selfless.

Story is good, but Farah borrows much from western movies as usual, hope she has matured and for HNY uses more original ideas.

One thought while watching, we (or almost) all have voiced how we think he is so sexy all bloody and beat up, and just a few days ago it was his real blood....made me cringe to think of it! God Bless him and hope he recovers from his injuries quickly.

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  11. rubyroo

I always was quite troubled by the mom's behavior in this movie and when I saw KHNH it made me very happy to see how unselfish and loving Jenny was in comparison.

Debby says thanks.
  12. MaryAnnK

I have finished the extras DVD and started the film. I too have always been bothered by the mother Kiren Kher plays! Where is forgiveness? I feel she is very, very selfish. Even when Ram comes "home" and reveals who he really is, she is so selfish! Are there people like this in the world? I do believe there are but hopefully they are few and far between. And, I am not condoning what the father did; but to keep the boys apart was so selfish and self-centered. When ever I have known of someone who gets a divorce but remains amicable for the sake of the children, I see that it makes for a much happier life for everyone. I saw this character as a very sad, lonely woman with a son who truly did not know what he had or was missing. Did he understand it was because of her that his father was not there? Awe, forgiveness! This is truly the opposite of Jenny in KHNH who had forgiven her husband!

Debby and rubyroo thank this.
  13. rubyroo

It seemed like for Madhu it was an issue not so much of forgiving her husband as one of accepting the child into her home. It would require a very unselfish attitude because the child would be a constant reminder of her husband's infidelity. Madhu was willing to stay with Shekhar or return to him but only if he sent Ram away. She put this natural reluctance ahead of the best interests of the 2 children involved. She fell far short of the nobility of Jenny.

I always think about whether it was right for Shekhar to stay away from his wife and child for Ram's sake. It was such an impossible situation for him. I wonder how he made the choice he did and why. I suppose he thought that each child at least had one parent if he stayed with Ram. I always wondered though if Ram might have been placed with other relatives as a compromise. Shekar could still have taken responsibility for him that way while keeping his family intact.

But of course then we would miss out on all the delightful drama and Shah Rukh's wonderful portrayal of Ram's suffering and his yearning for his mom and brother. I do somewhat forgive Madhu because she did end up giving sweet Ram the love and acceptance he so well deserved. The scene where she tells him she wants both her sons back is one of my favorite parts of the movie.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  14. Debby

Debby ''Stand by Him Always"

But Shekar's family still would not of been intact, his oldest son would not be with him....of the two parents I feel he at least tried to do the right thing in spite of the terrible circumstances. Ram had lost his mother and should not have to lose his father too. And Sheker told Madhu that he was all that Ram had and she just didn't care. No excuse for anyone to ever treat an innocent child or in fact children as she did. I even had trouble forgiving her in the end....when Ram bends to touch her feet she still cannot bring herself to bless him by touching his head

OK my computer just went nuts<<<so I guess it"s time for bed

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  15. rubyroo

Same thoughts here exactly.

Debby says thanks.
  16. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

This movie is so much fun in every way, its how Masala movies should be done. There is lots of wacky stuff but it still has serious moments & heart. Doesnt feel fake like a lot of Masala movies lately.

SRK carries the movie of course, he is very charming & badass here. From the cool beginning scene to the end fight with Raghavan (who was a good villian, not just a generic bad guy. Sunit Shetty did a terrific job). The action parts were also well done for a Bollywood movie.

His relationship with Lucky is the best & the center of the movie, Zayed Khan had really good chemistry with SRK. The romance with Sushmita Sen's character is sexy of course (see Tumhe Jo Maine Dekha, damm!) but seems more like an extra.

The movie was entertaining throughout, I don't think there was one moment where it was boring.

I like how despite its craziness it still sends a good message regarding India & Pakistans relationship (which sadly seems to have gotten worse in real life). 9/10 for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2016