1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughts

Discussion in 'Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani' started by shublee, Apr 25, 2009.

1. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

This topic wasnt opened yet and the day to watch this during the movie marathon has gone past days ago so i though i'd open it.

I've watched it again after a long long time and i still dont see why it turned out to be a flop. i think its an entertaining film as well and SRK looks cute :D

I like his character Ajay Bakshi alot too plus the songs.... I like them all! especially banke tera jogi

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  2. AnitaK

AnitaK Member

I :heart: the WACKINESS of this movie!!! It was VERY Shahrukh. :thumb: I almost fainted when he was dressed like Elvis (who was my first love as a little girl) and totally cracked up at the Asian costumes. :laugh: I also don't understand why it was considered a flop and wonder if the Media can somehow be to blame for this? Anyway it makes me a little :mad: because it caused him and Juhi many tears!

3. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

I haven't watched this one in a while myself.

I liked the very first goofy long scene with Shahrukh interviewing the bomb expert while he worked on live TV. I thought that scene was very funny and SRK was just perfect with his comic timing especially with his talk about the different colored wires :)

I love three of the SRK songs and watched them over and over when I take this DVD out. They are always enjoyable :)

4. Elahe

Elahe Dil To Shahrukhee hai!

my favourite part of this movie-----> Kuch to bata, how cute is this song:p
    but I admit this is not one of my faves! shahrukh is cute and good looking as always as Ajay, but... there's something missing for me in the movie, somehow for me 1,2 ka 4 and PBDHH have the same theme as weird as this might sound but I reaaally prefer 1,2 ka 4.
    Here is another part of the movie I really liek, his loooooks, his hair, his everything .....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRkZ_DFEeBw&feature=related
    leken transparent ho!

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  5. SharlaJ

SharlaJ Well-Known Member

In Phir Dil Hai Hindustani, there is a scene when Ajay and Rhea go back to the "safe house" looking for the tape. Shah Rukh catches a glimpse of his shadow on the wall and is distracted for a brief second. It's too cute. It wasn't part of the movie, its real. I guess he had never seen how good he looks even as a shadow. :lol: It's like you can tell this is what he is thinking and of course he is right.

Jasmine, Wafa, MaryAnnK and 1 other person say thanks.
  6. Sofie

Sofie Well-Known Member

Watched PBDHH the other day. Till this day I don't understand why this film flopped. Wish it didn't release with KNPH.:( Shah Rukh & Juhi complement each other really well esp. in the comedy scenes. The first half of the film is so hilarious!:lol: I loved the picturisation of Aur Kya & Banke Tera Jogi. I still remember how Juhi was having a hard time dancing to BTJ & Farah was really angry because she couldn't get the step right. As usual, our hero is the one who came to the rescue!:p

7. Yeh Dil

Yeh Dil He is my live

I love this film. I think it is one of his best.
    I like the trailer.
    And I laughs as I saw the first scenes with the bomb and the cat.
    The song I'm the best is good, but I dont like the song-movie. Parts of It are too silly.
    The theme is very good, but dared. Politics in a movie is difficult.
    It was sad, how the father spoke about his revenge cause the death of his daughter or as he was in jail and speaks to them like to his own kids. And the scene where they found the lil boy, was one of the best.
    SRK and Juhi have played perfect and real.
    I'm happy at the end of the film as the ppls come out of their houses and go to the jail.
    How crazy is it, to make commercials with the death of a men.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  8. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

I very much like this film! In it is both humour, and satire, and serious problems...
    Shahrukh and Juhi played remarkably! The film forces both to laugh, and to cry...He outstripped the time, probably therefore not all understood and accepted it...

9. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani (Yet the heart is still Indian) was released January 21, 2000. It was the first of four films produced by Dreams Unlimited. The film contains moments of comedy, drama, action and romance. Using satire, it addresses some social issues. It also highlights the “common man”.

Shah RukhKhan stars as Ajay Bakshi, an unscrupulous, ambitious yuppie who works at a television station as a journalist/anchor person. He likes money and girls. His favorite saying is that “he is the best”.

Juhi Chawla stars as Ria Banerji, a smart, ambitious, beautiful television reporter who competes with Ajay Bakshi.

Juhi and Shah Rukh did a fabulous job in this film. They are a great team. Juhi sparkles and is extraordinarily beautiful. She is very talented with comedy films. And Shah Rukh is, as always, the best!!! In this film, you really get it all from him…how hilarious he can be…how brave and heroic he can be…seeing him romantic…his tears…his passion…his gorgeous looks…his smile.

Paresh Rawal did a great job in his role as Mohan Joshi.

It was nice to see Juhi Chawla’s brother, Bobby, who handled part of the production.

Some things I liked about the film:

· During the song “Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani”…SRK in boxer shorts, SRK pretending that a body builder’s arm was his own, & SRK on a bench with a bunch of young boys.

· The scene with the wires of a bomb being cut was hilarious.

· The song, “I’m the Best”. I loved the flip Shah Rukh Khan did to get into his new car. I loved seeing him dressed up like Elvis Presley. And it was pretty cool seeing smoke come out of his mouth near the mic as he said; “yeah” at the end of the song.

· I liked the scene when Ajay met Ria for the first time and someone bumped into Ria, knocking her into Ajay. Ria said; “sorry” and Ajay said: “I’m not”. :) That is one of those “wish it would happen to you” moments.

· I liked the scene when Ajay was trying to get Ria’s name, phone number, or address. She said he was getting too personal. Ajay was so funny then. He said; “Skip the personal details, give me some general information…Are you a vegetarian or non-vegetarian?...What size footwear do you wear? Or tell me your blood group. Mine’s “B positive”…Tell me your dog’s name. Or your bank account number…Which shampoo do you use? Which is your favorite toothpaste?

· The song, “Kuch To Bata”. Seeing Shah Rukh Khan with curlers in his hair and wearing a pink unitard (one-piece combination leotard/tights for dancing) was quite memorable! He certainly isn’t afraid to do silly things!

· The scene where Ajay was hiding by the side of a car, trying to avoid a girl while Ria talked to the girl And Ria learned all about the diary Ajay kept. And she slyly used her purse camera to film the pages of the diary without Ajay knowing.

· The date Ria arranged with Ajay when all his girlfriends showed up in pink. I loved seeing Shah Rukh Khan with cake splattered all over him and girls throwing more cake at him. Very funny!

· The scene when Ajay tried to help Ria open her umbrella and it broke. Then he predicted it would not rain. And it immediately started to rain. And he offered his suit coat to her. And she found a half-eaten banana in his pocket. Then Ajay said; “I’ve been looking for that for two days!” He said he always ate half a banana and saved the other half, because you never know when you will need it! Then, he asked Ria if she wanted a bite! Then Ria asked Ajay if he was human or ape. And Ajay asked Ria; “What do you like?” (I loved seeing Shah Rukh Khan’s smile there!)

· The scene when Ajay met Ria’s mother. Ria’s mom fawned all over Ajay and he sat there enjoying it all. Then, when he was offered some food and saw a banana…that was so funny! I loved seeing him play hopscotch outside afterwards, too.

· The moment, during a riot, when Juhi hugged a little boy who was crouched in a corner was touching.

· Seeing Ajay’s half-eaten banana coming in handy with the hungry Mohan Johshi was nice.

· The scene when Shah Rukh Khan and Juhi Chawla dressed up as a Chinese couple was absolutely HILARIOUS!!! The costumes, make-up and their acting were fabulous!!! It was so funny how Ajay took advantage of the moment, since he was posing as Ria’s husband, to sneak a few kisses in on her cheek! I loved hearing, as they were leaving, Ajay calling out; “You need a haircut, fellow!” to a guy by the door.

· I really liked the song/dance number, “Aur Kya”. I loved seeing them dance with the world behind them and the part with the boat on the water. I thought Shah Rukh Khan’s sheer white and sheer black shirts looked nice. When Ajay and Ria walk through a door in the sky, it reminded me of a scene in the film, The Truman Show, starring Jim Carrey.

· I liked seeing the transformation in Ajay as he turned from his unscrupulous ways to truly caring for the common man and wanting to help save the life of Mohan Joshi.

· I liked the scene when Shah Rukh and Juhi were in the little red car being chased. It was funny seeing at one point, their car turned around backwards, and they were facing the bad guys. Then, they got off the main road and ended up on top of a tree over a cliff. Somehow, though, they got out safely. It was quite intense when they were running on foot, especially when, after climbing over a log, a white car hit the log, and flipped over forward, almost hitting Shah Rukh Khan and Juhi.

· I liked the moment when Ajay held Ria closely in his arms, at night, outside of one of their homes (when the authorities had been searching their homes). That is one of those “wish it would happen to you” moments.:heart:

· I thought Ajay’s televised speech at the end was powerful and really nice.

· I loved it when the camera showed the backs of two young boys with their arms around each other.

· My sympathy for Ajay was drawn out when he was getting beat up by the police.

· It was neat to see the crowds of people walking together holding flags of India.

· I loved seeing Shah Rukh Khan running to stop the hanging. He is always so handsome when he is running.

· It was fun to see him pull out a half-eaten banana at the end. And the marriage proposal was nice.

· I loved seeing the bloopers when the end credits were going up.

This film is a special one, because it was the first one done by Shah Rukh Khan & Juhi Chawla’s Dreams Unlimited production company. All the talent packed into this film is amazing to see. It is a very enjoyable film. It gives a comic look at life. And it also has a good message: There is strength in unity. It has a lot appeal and offers laughter, thrills, tears, romance, and great music & dance numbers to the audience. I give this film 10 out of 10! It’s the BEST!

10. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I watched it again last night....you know every time I watch this movie I like it more. The first time I saw it I really didn't care for it, think it was because of having to read the sub titles. But now I can enjoy the actual movie, I really like it.

Shah Rukh is absolutely wonderful in this movie, his face when he is trying to sneer like Elvis had me rolling with laughter.

The bomb scene and the "I hate Cats" is other scene that he uses his face to perfection.

And then he goes to the little lost boy, when his father won't ride in his new car......

The restaurant scene when he is invaded by the "Pink Ladies" is a hoot. Way to go Juhi!

His speech in the end of the movie is heartbreaking, love him when does these kind of scenes. When they walk through the streets with the flag....just wow. And then they get funny at the end with him and Juhi again....movie ends upbeat, always a plus to me.

Shah Rukh and Juhi complement each other so well when they are in a movie together.

11. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I don't at all understand why this movie wasn't a hit. I was not looking forward to watching it because I know that Shah Rukh and Juhi suffered a lot of grief over it. I expected a boring dull uninteresting movie.

I was most pleasantly surprised. The story was good. It was very funny in parts, and very touching and sad in others. I liked to see how the characters of Ajay and Rhea developed through their experiences. The story of Mohan and his family was gripping. I liked how his character became central to the story. It almost became more his story than the story of Ajay and Rhea.

I think that SRK and Juhi and their company tried to address a serious issue of corruption in government and at the same time make an entertaining movie. The comedic parts and the song and dances were not allowed to make the serious elements become trivialized. I think there was a strong element of satire in the way that the hanging was commercialized. What a fine effort this movie was, and what a shame it wasn't rewarded with more success.

I thought Shah Rukh and Juhi and Johnny Lever were awesome in this movie. I thought the songs and picturizations were very good.

Also I do believe now that Shah Rukh does not like cats. The way he held the cat in this movie reminded me strongly of how he held Meena in Baadshah. A little distastefully both times. I don't think cats like him either. They can tell when they are not loved. :p

MaryAnnK, Debbie, Alenka and 1 other person say thanks.
  12. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

It was ahead of it's time (same reason with dil se, asoka) that was a major reason why it flopped. And I guess on the surface it doesn't look too interesting (as I thought too) or something that draws in crowds but once you watch it it is quite interesting.

rubyroo says thanks.
  13. rubyroo

Spoilers:

After watching this movie a second time and some parts of it multiple times, I am more than ever struck by what a wonderful movie it is.

I love so many things about it that I just can't list them all.

One important thing to keep in mind is that some of the more farfetched scenarios are brilliantly satirical. For example, I was at first quite disturbed at the kooky idea of a reporter who was so rabid for a story that he would attempt to interview a man who was working to defuse a live bomb within a 5 minute time frame. But it was actually a biting commentary on what the “news” really is all about. And it's so true. And the movie is full of such stuff. It will be fun discovering more when I watch it again.

The actor who played Mohan, Paresh Rawal, was quite wonderful. He was so touching as a father and husband, and so heartbreaking as the fugitive unjustly accused of being a terrorist. I loved how he remained dignified and serious even when he was kidnapped by the wacky Don and imprisoned in a red rocket ship under the sea, only to be rescued by the excruciatingly funny comedy team of Juhi and Shah Rukh disguised as Chinese reporters. He was so sweet with Ajay and Rhea. No wonder they loved him and did all in their power to help him. He changed their hearts.

Shah Rukh was at his very best with the able assistance of Juhi Chawla and Johnny Lever. The movie allowed him to give expression to his full range of emotions, from dramatic to comedic. The romance between him and Juhi was as usual charming and believable.

Something about the movie which I enjoyed tremendously was the imaginative use of color. Of course the color theme was orange, green, and white: the colors of India's flag. It is such fun watching to see how many scenes have the three colors together in them. Like at the Don's meeting in the cemetery where the bottles on the white table were orange and green. Or when Rhea's mom offered Ajay a bowl of fruit that was all orange, green, and white. I also noticed the frequent use of bright clean shades of blue, red, and sometimes purple and yellow. I believe an effort was made to use complementary colors together as much as possible. (Red plus green, orange plus blue, or purple plus yellow.) Quite delicious.

I loved all 8 of the songs. But I think my favorite was Tum Aaye Tho. At first I was much distracted by Shah Rukh's delightfully daring and distracting transparent shirts: a white one and a black one. After re-watching it a couple times however, I realized what an extremely beautiful song it is. Then I had to watch it several times more. The sets and costumes were amazing. In one part they were in a bluish gray village scene wearing bluish gray clothes that precisely matched the color of the whole set. Then they began to dance and her red underskirt and the red lining of her veil could be seen.

The climax of the movie seemed unlikely to really happen, but I believe it was a tribute to India's heritage of non violent protest (a statue of Gandhi is shown in this scene.) I'm sure Shah Rukh felt especially proud knowing that his close relatives had been freedom fighters under Gandhi's leadership.

14. rubyroo

Love what you say here Debbie.

Debbie says thanks.
  15. rubyroo

This reminded me of Dil Se when he was trying to make friends with Meghna in the first scene. He took a similar approach.

I liked how the banana theme was worked into the movie in a few other places.

This was the first foreshadowing of the change of heart that they were both about to undergo.

One of the funniest things about the Chinese reporter romp was the way Ajay took advantage of being Rhea's "husband" and how annoyed she was.

When they were in grave danger together, and he said something about "we have to make it through the night somehow" and how he hugged and kissed her on the cheek...sweetest moment of the movie.

Any movie where he runs is extra wonderful. I also liked his fast talking in some of the scenes.

The bloopers were great fun. I love it when Shah Rukh makes a mistake and bites his fingers like a little kid.

We agree once again!

MaryAnnK and Jasmine thank this.
  16. rubyroo

I was looking through the threads about this movie and I watched the "making of" video the other day. Juhi told about shooting the scene where she and Shah Rukh were running down a hill together while being chased by a car, and it was no picnic for her because he runs so fast and she couldn't keep up. He was ahead of her pulling her along by the hand and at one point he dragged her over a bush without noticing. I laugh sympathetically every time I see the part where they were running toward a big log which lay across their path. He gracefully leaped over the log into a typical SRK somersault and then just kept right on going while poor Juhi instead ran right into the log and kind of crawled over it getting her jeans all dirty in the process. (I am sure my performance would have been much like hers.) So running from danger hand in hand with Shah Rukh is apparently not as romantic as we might imagine it to be.

Debbie and MaryAnnK thank this.
  17. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I am trying to figure out how I missed commenting on this one!
    I finished watching it last night and I still don't see me connecting very well with the story. I don't know why. I love watching him and Juhi together. The subplot for the "terrorist" is a great small storyline. The actor who played Mohan, Paresh Rawal, is marvelous in this piece. I have enjoyed some of his other work, but the dignity, intensity and pride with which he carried the character of Mohan was outstanding. The see-through shirts bother me. I know there was a phase where his costumes went in that direction but to me they are a huge distraction and take away from the song! The Japanese reporter scene I think has some great dialog but if you can't hear it you miss it. It does not make the translation cut. He calls himself Bot Lee (Bruce Lee's brother!) He calls her Uj lee (Ujale or "light" in Hindi). This made me think back to Ra.One and the demon women he kiss in the game sequence! What were their names?

It is not one I watch very often, maybe once a year if that. I do like the songs but not necessarily the picturizations. There is a social message that they are trying to convey but I just don't connect to it.

rubyroo and Debbie thank this.
  18. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I feel the same MaryAnn...for some reason this movie just doesn't quite make it for me either. The songs are actually the high light....and I usually love Juhi, but in this not so much. I've never been able to put my finger on it.
    The actor who plays the girl's father is very good and I alway laugh at the "Japanese/Chinese?" part. But it just never quite comes together for me. I always feel that something is missing, don't really feel the story at all. Actually it may be because my idea of journalist is already so dreadful, that it wouldn't really surprise me what they might do for a story. And that's sad.
    I don't watch this one much.....

"what's the next in line?"

rubyroo and MaryAnnK thank this.
  19. rubyroo

:) Hmmm. It's one of my favorites. But I have raved about it lots on this thread already...

20. rubyroo

Capture.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG
    OK I captured all his outfits in this part of the song Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani. (I wish they were better quality screen caps...) I was thinking they were from his different movies because the last one looks like Asoka. (or is it Koyla?) Anyone know?

niloofari and MaryAnnK thank this.