1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon thoughts

Discussion in 'Veer Zaara' started by cmreeves, Apr 23, 2009.

1. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

No way! He was a sadistic b.stard. Apart from murdering several dozen people on the bus he just kept Veer alive, in beautiful filmi logic, to torment him even more. No sympathy from me whatsoever. :tsk:

rubyroo says thanks.
  2. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Lol! Truly a great quality! :lol:

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  3. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Wow I also thought Raza must have arranged the bus accident. I thought the worst was that he actually left the country while Veer continued to languish in prison. Keeping him a prisoner was pointless by then. Only a truly cruel person would have done it.

rollercoast says thanks.
  4. rubyroo

1.JPG
    We have a little bundle of sticks my husband got in Libya when he was a kid. They are supposedly primitive toothbrushes. You chew on the end of the stick to fray it and then use it to clean your teeth. Here is a guy brushing his teeth with a stick in Asoka.

MaryAnnK and rollercoast thank this.
  5. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

It had never even occured to me that he would have arranged what happened to the bus! :eek: I still believe it was an accident...

6. rubyroo

My reason for thinking it was caused deliberately is that if it was an accident it was quite an improbable coincidence. But then again Bollywood movies are replete with those!

7. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Really? It never occurred to me otherwise. I felt it was Raza's way to cover up Veer's disappearance, otherwise his family would come looking for him.
    Also, if Raza hadn't arranged it and told Veer about it, how would Veer have known it happened?

And yes to @rubyroo 's point above.

rubyroo says thanks.
  8. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

same here, I always thought of it as pr-arranged plan by Raza, who I have not and will never sympathize with (MaryAnne), his upbringing has nothing to do with his evil decision to kill others.

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  9. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Oh wow! Not that I ever liked him before, but I guess I have to reconsider my views... Seriously, I never even thought that it would be anything but an accident. But I guess what you all say makes sense... Wow, that's really terrible!

rubyroo says thanks.
  10. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Sorry Raza. Guess its thumbs down! :lol:

rubyroo says thanks.
  11. rubyroo

He's a black hearted villain.

12. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

this is good stuff here!

I never said liked the guy, just that I kind of felt sorry for him. BUT, he still did a very awful thing by locking up Veer and killing those people on the bus and then just leaving Veer in jail!! I feel that with this arranged marriage, he felt this hands were tied. I am not trying to justify what he did, just trying to understand his reasoning, that's all. I never once questioned that the bus accident was intentional. Never considered the lives of all of the other people who were on that bus though. Yes, bad people do bad things and usually for very personal, selfish reasons.

This is a great conversation. Do you see Adi's great story-telling ability? He really did get us to connect with this characters, even Raza!

rubyroo says thanks.
  13. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Wafa-didi, is there any way this conversation can be moved over to the VZ movie marathon thread, so that we don't lose it?

14. rubyroo

I agree that Raza was in a horrible position being forced to marry a woman who he knew was in love with someone else. The problem lies in his totally self centered attitude. A nobler man would have renounced his political ambitions rather than enter into a marriage that was going to make the lives of 3 people miserable. He would have tried to achieve his goals another way.

I wrote this somewhere else but I also do not trust Raza for one second that he was planning to keep his promise to give Zaara a happy life if Veer submitted to a life in prison. Once imprisoned Veer would never know it if Raza decided to take revenge on Zaara as well. It would be just like him to do so.

Yes, Adi did a great job. These people are quite real to me obviously!

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  15. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

This movie is a masterpiece (like many others from SRK)!

SRK & Preity had great chemistry (my third favourite heroine with SRK now) and should have gotten some awards for their performances, the story was heartbreaking and it was just so well directed.

I think Yash Chopra should have stopped here instead of making the trainwreck that was JTHJ.

They made SRK & Preity look too old (seems like 40 years passed lol) + more interactions between Old Veer and Zaara would have been great. Rani's character got too much focus instead (as good as she was).

Favourite songs...all of them, they are all are so great (also love the one they cut, so romantic!). If I had to choose Do Pal would probably be the one I listen to the most. 9.5/10

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2016