1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon thoughts!

Discussion in 'Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa' started by MaryAnnK, Apr 15, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I love this one! It has the younger Shah Rukh at his best. The energy is go evident. The young face (even though he must be about 30) and the chemistry is good with the other actors. The storyline is good too. I think I read somewhere that this is one of his favorites too.:heart:

2. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

^it is his favourite! :D

i saw this and i know its an old movie but i've never seen it before and i think he looks totally cute and he seems very different in the film somehow
    the character he plays is so adorable :thumb:
    its one of his best early films IMO

3. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

I really don't understand why everybody seems so taken with this movie. :noidea: For me it's average, leaning towards mediocre, one of the dvds that are gathering moss on my shelf.
    Am I missing something? Can someone explain to me why it's supposedly so outstanding?

4. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

it's not outstanding...but it is sweet. I think that's what people are attracted to. The sweetness of the film.

5. AnitaK

AnitaK Member

This is a cute movie although not one of my favs. But I can understand why Shahrukh enjoyed playing this character, because Sunil was a MESS!!! Dishonest and immature and even conniving, so he really did some great acting in this role because he was extremely believable. Again, SRK proves that he can make his audience fall in love with him even though he's not the cool, romantic, always win the girl type. He did a great job with what I considered a mediocre script.

6. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

I like it becos its an average movie about an average man
    thats exactly why im taken with it

though i only watched it once and cant find it on dvd :noidea:

7. MaryAnnK

No posts on this one for quite a while. I am in the middle of watching it right now. I have a question:

Does anyone know the name of the band? I have an idea but wanted to see if anyone else has caught it!!

8. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

carol is right. its not outstanding but its a sweet movie. simple and cute. young SRK is very endearing in this role and many can relate to him. I didn't watch it recently but I enjoyed it when I did.

@MaryAnn, did they mention the name of the band while you were watching it? I'll have to watch it again to remember.

9. MaryAnnK

@MaryAnn, did they mention the name of the band while you were watching it? I'll have to watch it again to remember.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I don't think I have ever caught the name being spoken but there are references to it. (The clue is in the building where they practice!):D

10. MaryAnnK

Okay, it has been six months since I posted this query, so guess I will divulge my take on the name. It appears to be Windows. (I took this as a reference to the Doors!) If you can read on the large drum set, there is a name and a drawing of it. And if you look around the empty building in which they are practicing, you can see several references to it too!! Good luck and happy hunting!

11. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Contains spoilers.

I love all the movies that Shah Rukh is the star of. However, most of them have at least a few things I don't like in them. Kabhi Hann Kabhi Naa is the first I have seen that I really love unreservedly.

I believe the theme of this movie is windows and doors. I realized this as I watched it once more today. Father Braganza who always believed in Sunil and loved him unconditionally said to him, "Oh Sunil, Why do you always use windows? Why not try using the door first?" I remembered MaryAnn's post above about the name of the band. It fits in with the theme. Sunil was a free spirit. He cared only about winning the girl he loved and playing his music. He was imaginative, smart, brave, funny, mischievous, and talented. Yet his friends and family saw him as a loser. They knew he was good at music, but in the eyes of almost everyone, this one accomplishment was eclipsed by those of his friend Chris who excelled in school while Sunil failed, who was wealthy and had a good job and all the accoutrements of success while Sunil was the penniless son of a mechanic and owned nothing but a trumpet and a funny old motorcycle. And Chris with all his other advantages was even good at music too.

Sunil had another problem- his habit of using windows instead of doors. When he went to talk to Anna, he went in the window instead of the door twice. (those scenes were among the funniest and cutest ones in the movie.) When he came to the band's clubhouse, he would climb a rope and go in the window getting white dust all over his black jeans like a little kid, while Chris would go in at the door and keep his fashionable clothes immaculate. I think this windows and doors theme was also symbolic of Sunil's problem with honesty. He was not devious or manipulative, he just usually tried lying first to get what he wanted without thinking of the consequences, like going in the window instead of the door. When his lies got him in trouble, he realized and deeply regretted what he had done and was willing to do anything to fix the problems he created for himself and others. As the movie progressed, Sunil became more wise and mature until he was ready to sacrifice the things he wanted most because it was the right thing to do.

Things I loved about this movie are too many to list but here are a few:

-Sunil was always jumping from high places and doing cartwheels.

-The henchman Vasco had what looked like pony beads strung on his braided hair.

-The relationship between Sunil and his sister Nikki was so sweet. She loved him and believed in him with all her heart. In the end as Sunil watched Anna and Chris get married and he was keeping a big happy smile on his face, he looked at his sister and she was crying because she knew how sad it really was for him. And then his eyes filled with tears, and then my eyes filled with tears...

-I loved the quality of childlike joy that Shah Rukh so masterfully displayed in several parts of the movie. It is amazing that a man of 30 could do this so convincing. The best was when he was asking Anna what present she had brought him. His looks and gestures when she finally produced the red harmonica after teasing him a bit is one of my very favorite things he has ever done. The scene where his parents told him that they have arranged his marriage with Anna is another.

-The song where Sunil was following Anna through the town and on the ferry and the beach trying to gain her forgiveness and all the bystanders joined him in trying to convince her.

-The mobster Vincent. It was so funny when he found out Sunil had run into his car and he told his henchman, Vasco , 'Take his name down and we'll finish him off after the show." But instead he became Sunil's biggest fan.

-Sunil was forgiven for the wrong things he did, but he didn't get everything he had tried to get by dishonest means. For example, after his dad forgave him for the forged marks sheet, Sunil was shown working in the garage, a thing he vowed he would not ever do in the beginning of the movie.

-That he did not marry Anna in the end. When her parents were convincing her that she couldn't have all she really wanted but that Sunil would work hard to make her happy, it gave me the feeling that he deserved better. Sunil had some sense of this also. When he proposed to her, he said that all he wanted was for her to love him as much as he loved her. When he knew she didn't he let her go.

-Most of all I loved the dear, delightful, lovable, and strong character of Sunil. I hope and believe he got all the good things he wanted and deserved in the end.

Tash, MaryAnnK, Jasmine and 1 other person say thanks.
  12. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa
    (Warning: spoilers)

I LOVED this film! A few memorable moments were…

After Chris laid his head on the table and Anna patted his head, consoling him about losing a chance to perform at China Town, Sunil tried to get the same sympathy from Anna by laying his head down on the table. Anna ignored him. And one of Sunil’s buddy’s patted Sunil’s head and said; “nice try”. That was pretty funny!

Late at night, Sunil blew his trumpet. His sister called out to him to try and get him to be quiet, because people were sleeping. Sunil said to his sister; “How shall I convince her [Anna] that not a thousand Chris’s together can give her [Anna] the love I can.”

While having drinks and talking with Chris, twice, Sunil spit out his drink all over the place because of things that Chris said. The first time was when Chris said he loved Anna. The second time was when Chris said that he was taking Anna to the carnival.

When Sunil tossed his ice cream cone at the carnival.

The first time Sunil went to the band’s practice location after the big argument at the carnival, and everyone was talking and getting their photos taken, Sunil was standing outside, looking through a window with bars. There is such an incredibly beautiful expression on Shah Rukh Khan’s face at that moment! I can’t quite put it into words – I almost want to say it is a classic look (that I have seen in later times of his life). But, he has so many beautiful expressions. This moment in the film, he just looks so beautiful to me.

How nice Shah Rukh Khan looked during the band’s performance in front of the Don at China Town. He was wearing a slick tux-type jacket and was smiling, singing and dancing in a way that was familiar to me from his future films.

When Sunil stood up to the Don and refused his help. The Don wanted to bump off Chris so that Sunil could marry Anna. Sunil told the Don not to meddle and that he’ll handle things.

When Sunil bravely stood up and told the truth about his school score in front of his father and all the guests at their home. I really admired what he did there. It was neat to see how Anna finally realized what a really neat guy Sunil was during this scene.

At the celebration outside Sunil’s home, something really stood out to me (besides the storyline)…and that was how Shah Rukh Khan was dressed. His shirt was unbuttoned a little way, so you could see a little of his chest. And he looked really good that way. In his future, I’ve seen him like that a lot. But while watching his films chronologically, this was the first time I noticed this fashion look on him. And I really like it.

When Sunil entered Anna’s house to bring her a poster and a flower. It was funny how he dropped his shoe and Anna’s brother accidentally picked it up while polishing his own shoes. And the brother never even realized Sunil was there. And then when Sunil got into Anna’s room, it was really touching how he spoke to her picture, while Anna watched behind a curtain.

One of my MOST favorite parts of this film is when Sunil was sitting on the front porch at his home. He was wearing blue work coveralls – like a mechanic wears. It was unbuttoned a little way. And Sunil’s parents were talking to him about marriage and they brought up Anna’s name. At one point, Sunil ran his fingers through his hair, and I love how his hair was after that. I loved his smile, his shyness, and how completely handsome he was there.

I liked seeing Sunil on his motorcycle. I think that is my favorite mode of transportation to see Shah Rukh Khan on…more than a bike or a car.

I thought the scene when Sunil asked Anna’s parents for permission to marry her was so sweet! I also thought it was very touching how Sunil wanted Anna’s happiness so much, that he was willing to step aside and let Anna marry Chris.

At the wedding of Chris and Anna, Sunil was smiling and being cheerful. But, when he exchanged glances with his sister, it was clear what was really going on inside Sunil. And that was touching to see.

The dropping of the ring bit…I didn’t fully understand before today. I read after watching the film, that there is a tradition that if you drop a wedding ring, whoever picks it up can marry the bride. I’ve never heard of that before. At Chris and Anna’s wedding, Sunil passed up a chance to pick up the ring. So, that was showing again what a self-sacrificing, loving man he was.

After the wedding, Sunil was walking down the street – again with the top buttons undone on his shirt – he looks so good that way! I loved it when Juhi Chawla showed up! That was the best! I love her smile and it was so fun to hear her cheerfully talking to Sunil as they walked off together. And I loved the bit about the luggage…Poor Sunil…always having to carry loads of luggage!

Every time I see Shah Rukh Khan, I think he is handsome. And in all the films I’ve been watching recently – from Fauji to Deewana up to Baazigar – I’ve thought he was handsome every second. But I felt like he was even MORE handsome in this film!!! This film was so fun to see! It was so relaxing and completely enjoyable!

Tash, MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  13. MaryAnnK

I enjoy taking time out to watch this one every so often, just because of the innocence portrayed by Sunil! I have heard Shah Rukh say it is one of his favorite characters which really pleases me, too!

I have never heard of the wedding ring tradition before. Interesting twist is added to the scene with that piece of knowledge!

rubyroo and Jasmine thank this.
  14. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

When I watch Shah Rukh's performance in this movie I always think of what Mark Twain said about Anne of Green Gables. He said she was "the dearest and most lovable child in fiction since the immortal Alice." Sunil is without a doubt the dearest and most lovable fictional youth ever created.

15. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

I don't get the praise for his movie (not from fans or from SRK who says this was his best role), its average at best in my opinion. SRK was solid but nothing special, has had plenty of better performances.

But the worst parts are Anna (what an awful actress and character!) and Chris (Deepak Tijori is just bland), they are just meh and their "romance" made me cringe. In general I didnt really like any character apart from Sunil at times and not once was the story interesting.

I like that for once the hero doesn't get the girl he wants. And Juhi's much better than the other one anyway so he still "won".

4/10, overall a very overrated & forgettable movie that drags a lot. Not a classic at all if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016