1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Mohabbatein' started by MaryAnnK, Apr 12, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

It has been a long time since I watched this one. Don't know why. Today is Easter so I will not have a chance to watch it until tonight. I will post later.

2. MaryAnnK

I forgot how loving this Raj was. His character is portrayed with style. I love the loose hair, the oval glasses, the sweater over the shoulders, the impishness of the character. I am not overly thrilled with Ash but she is okay. I remember how I wished there was more of him in the film, but now, I can watch the story and appreciate him for as much as we get to see him. I love the eternal love story. Love is eternal. I truly believe this. Why else would we be so attached to our partner? :heart:

3. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

This is one of those movies I watch with one finger on the fast forward button. I find the kids' stories quite forgettable and boring. I'm in it for SRK's parts only.

4. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

LOL! My thoughts, exactly! :D

5. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

:clap2: me as well

but i love the way SRK makes it look as if he really is playing the violin, i love his acting in this movie, i love his story only in this movie

any scenes with him in it and i'll watch it with alot of concentration and attention, i make sure i dont miss a bit
    but with the others.... not the same :lever:

6. AnitaK

AnitaK Member

Wow, I was really surpised by the comments so far. To me this is such a GREAT movie. I was not bored even for a moment. It was such a different kind of role for Shah Rukh and I am fascinated by his ability to play any kind of role that is asked of him. Not only was he totally believable and did he win my heart (again) but the balance between the actor and his idol (Amitabhji) was perfect - no upstaging at all. It's one of my top 10 favorite SRK films and I absolutely think it's LEGENDARY!!! There must be someone out there who agrees with me!?!?!?!

7. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Well I love all the parts and scenes in this film with SRK. :) I think those scenes are just great and I love the interaction between his character and Big B's. Of all their films together this is my favorite for the acting of the two of them. :) I think the dialogue between them is well written and they have a real believable conflict and interaction throughout the film. You can see the sparks flying between them in some of their conflict scenes! I've watched all the SRK scenes many times in this film and always love that part. And the songs with SRK are excellent as well. :D

That said I must also admit that I have never been able even once to make it though all the scenes without SRK. The 'young love stories' part is just too boring and stiff and IMO it's mainly because of the actors cast in those roles. :p None of the 3 young men are more than just passable as actors or dancers IMO. They just have no charisma and seem stiff and unbelievable. :(

And it because of them and those scenes that this film goes down from a 10 to me to being one I only show people if they agree that we will skip most of the 'young lovers' scenes. Cut that &*% and the movie is a great one IMO. If I could cut say 40 minutes or so with them out of the movie it would be up there in my top 3 SRK choices I would say...but as they are in the movie it really drags it down for me although I would still put it in my top 10 because of how much I love the SRK scenes.

8. MaryAnnK

Ouch! That was harsh.

I like this story. I have enjoyed getting to watch Uday becoming an actor and Jimmy Shergill. I don't remember the other guy's name though. Yes, the Shah Rukh is beautiful to watch but when he is with Ash, I just can't feel any chemical connection on the big screen!

9. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

MaryAnn, the ash comment I agree with :thumb:
    and also Bridget has got a good point :thumb:

10. AnitaK

AnitaK Member

I was wathcing some music video clips from this film last night and forgot how bad I thought Ash was in this film (I've only seen the movie once).

She just seemed so fake and I don't think you can blame her "fakeness" on a lack of chemistry between her and Shah Rukh because he was AMAZING. I believed he loved her but there was no way that I could believe she loved him. It was more like watching an actress trying to pretend she loved him instead of being able to believe she really did.

But I still love the movie because Shahrukhji is sooooo good!!

11. sonal

sonal SRK's D&G lover!

:high5: same here... for some reason i found parts of this film irritating and annoying. I didnt really connect with him being in love with a ghost and that too an actress which i dont like....BUT, i think i was more psyched about this because it was the first time SRK worked with Amitabh.

12. MaryAnnK

I was watching this film last night when I went to bed. First I watched the extras DVD and enjoy hearing Shah Rukh's voice! Then I put in the movie and fell asleep. So, first thing this morning, I started it and my husband was watching with me. He made the most interesting statement, "I kind of like her in this film! I think it is because you don't see much of her!!" I had to laugh out loud. He is not on this forum or much into following the stars, so he was not aware of her nickname The Ice Queen. When I told him that, he laughed and said, "Yeah, she does not seem to be a very warm person."

I was also listening the dialog and found quite a few lines that have turned up in Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi. I also was able to associate the two songs that are from the older film Bobbie!! How cool is that? Always something new to discover each time I watch one of his films!!!

rubyroo says thanks.
  13. MaryAnnK

With my viewing today, I was watching Shah Rukh's facial expressions. He is goooood! Boy is he good. When they are having the dance with the girls and Mr. Narayan returns, watch his face as it changes over the next minute. It is so telling and beautiful.

rubyroo says thanks.
  14. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Spoilers.

This is rather a difficult movie for me. I agree that there is not enough SRK in the movie, and that the 3 love stories, which take up a lot of time, are not that compelling, although I actually did enjoy those parts of the movie. I thought the acting, lip synching and dancing skills of the three young men did serve to highlight the superior performance of Shah Rukh and increase my amazement at how awesomely great he is.

However I have had other problems with the story as well. I just can't imagine a college where students would be forbidden to fall in love. How can anyone control or want to control something like that? I also found Raj's behavior disturbing. How could he have any right to come into a school and disrupt the rules and encourage the students to disobey the rules that they agreed of their own free will to abide by? (even though I don’t agree with the rules.) And lastly, how could a man determine he will stay in love with a woman who is not and will not ever be there except in his imagination?

These things all troubled me but I couldn't help falling under Shah Rukh's spell. His way of saying things always wins my heart even when I disagree. His love and devotion for the departed Megha was heart breaking. Megha loved Raj so much she couldn't bear to live without him. And Shah Rukh brilliantly showed us why she loved him so. This made watching the movie again bearable at least. And I am happy to say I like the movie more now than I did before. (surprise!)

Raj encouraged the students to follow their hearts. He did want them to find happiness, and he did want to bring love into a loveless place, but he had a deeper and more truly noble purpose in what he was trying to accomplish at the college. Because this really is not the story of young love fulfilled, or the story of romantic love tragically lost. It is the story of a hardhearted, sad, and lonely man, Narayan Shankar, whose life was changed because someone he considered to be his enemy decided to care about him.

As the movie progresses and our understanding of Raj and what he truly desired is revealed a bit at a time, it does become for me a really beautiful and touching story. It is about true love. I was sad that Raj didn't want any other woman to love but the one that he had lost, but in the end he showed that romantic love though beautiful and of great value, is not the only love or even the most important love in the world.

The movie was beautiful also of course, in being full of color, beautiful music and dancing in beautiful locations. Shah Rukh and Amitabh Bachchan received well deserved Filmfare awards for their performances. The supporting actors were sweet and appealing. Among them were Uday Chopra, Yash Chopra's son, who played Vicky, and Jimmy Shergill, who played Karan, and also played Shah Rukh's younger brother in MNIK. Also I just found out that Anupam Kher played the restaurant owner, Kake. I didn't recognize him at all! He was a kick in the pants as usual.

Jasmine and MaryAnnK thank this.
  15. MaryAnnK

Rubyroo, a controlling school principle and father!! Bollywood!!!
    After viewing this one a few times, I finally got over those aspects so that I could just sit back and enjoy the story as it was told!

rubyroo says thanks.
  16. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Warning: spoilers (review in 2 posts)

I just watched Mahabbatein for the fifth time. The first time I saw this film, about nine months ago, I only wanted to see Shah Rukh Khan…so unless he was on the screen, I was not interested, and the film seemed so incredibly long to me. I think that even the second time I saw the film, I still did not recognize all the beauty in the film. I was only focusing on the parts with Shah Rukh Khan. Since that time, I have grown to appreciate and love so many things about Hindi Cinema and India. And subsequently, each time I’ve seen Mohabbatein since then, I’ve found more and more things I like about the film.

I like the images of leaves, both real and digitally displayed, in this film. I love the setting and scenery in the film. It was breathtaking at times. The cinematographer did a phenomenal job.

It was nice to see Anupam Kher in this film. And it was fun to see Archana Puran Singh as his love interest. (She played Ms. Briganza in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.)

Amrish Puri’s special appearance as Kiran’s father-in-law was nice. He does such a good job of being a stern father.

I love seeing the Holi Festival scene. This past spring, I had the opportunity to attend one of the largest Holi Festivals in the Western Hemisphere. And having that experience helps me appreciate more scenes which depict Holi Festivals in Hindi films.

Shah Rukh Khan wore a bracelet during this film which had the name of Aryan on it. I know it was making reference to his name for the film: Raj Aryan Malhotra. But, I wondered if, perhaps, he thought of his son, too, by wearing it. Aryan was almost three years old when this film was released.

I like the music in Mohabbatein. I love the dances. The choreography is wonderful and the dancers are all very talented.

Even though at first I wasn’t as interested in the stories of the three couples, now, I enjoy seeing their part in this film. The three girls are beautiful. I really like Uday Chopra. I’ve seen him in the Doom films, along with a few other films. And I have always enjoyed seeing him. I think he has a very handsome muscly body, a fun personality, and he is a good actor. I like his smile. I think Jimmy Shergill has a very nice, handsome face and I like his manner. I’ve seen him in a few films and I have always liked seeing him. (I remember best SRK bumping into him during a scene in RNBDJ when Tauni came out to greet guests from Suri’s work…probably because I’ve seen RNBDJ about 1,000 times.) I think Jugal Hansraj is a very likable actor. I thought he did a fine job in this film. I think that because Shah Rukh Khan is so amazing and we all love him so much, it is hard for other actors be as appreciated as well.

Amitabh Bachchan is superb. He is thoroughly and completely wonderful. I love his deep voice. I love his powerful presence. With one exception, I have only seen him in films with Shah Rukh Khan. I have not yet seen any of his films from earlier days. I hope to watch them sometime. My most favorite parts of Mohabbatein are the scenes when Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan are together.

Shah Rukh Khan’s role as a musician and teacher has distinct qualities and demonstrates clearly his great ability to portray various characters in his films. His appearance was effective in conveying a classical musician. The glasses, the sweater draped over his shoulders, and dress slacks and shirts all worked well for a conservative appearance. His manner was subdued. He expressed himself calmly and was respectful as he spoke, but did not come across as a meek character at all. His strength was clearly evident. I admired how he was not afraid to voice his opinions to the intimidating Narayan Shankar. There are many ways to spar with or “battle” with opposition. And Shah Rukh Khan did an impressive job of using quiet strength to “move mountains”, so to speak.

As I look at the relationship with Megha and Raj, I am impressed with the devotion Raj continued to show Megha after her death. I think that it was uniquely unselfish of Raj to care about Megha’s father, even though he destroyed the potential for Megha and Raj to live a happy life together. Raj must have worked through forgiving Narayan Shankar at some point in order to have been able to feel love so well for Megha’s father.

I was amazed at how Raj Aryan stayed cheerful while talking to the stern, serious Mr. Shankar.

I loved the moment when Raj Aryan bumped into Mr. Shankar while they were talking. It was during the scene when Raj was trying to convince Mr. Shankar to let Sameer get a part-time job.

When Sameer was discouraged because Sanjana had a boyfriend, Mr. Aryan said to Sameer; “You didn’t fall in love with her on the condition that she would love you too. So, just because she loves someone else you want to forget her. Don’t let go so easily. Love is just like life, it’s not always easy and it does not always bring happiness. But when we don’t stop living, why should we stop loving!” I thought that was interesting counsel and worth thinking about. I noticed that Shah Rukh Khan’s breath could be seen during that scene. It must have been very cold outside. Actors have to put up with discomfort sometimes for their films.

I like the comment Raj Aryan made to Mr. Shankar when he said; “No Sir, I have never been afraid of doing the right thing.” And it was very touching to see him put a teeka on Mr. Shankar’s forehead.

I like the moment when Raj Aryan was waiting by Mr. Shankar’s car, holding a plate of sweets. And Mr. Shankar asked Raj; “What changes do you want to make today?”

The scene after the dance, when Raj Aryan revealed to Mr. Shankar his true identity was powerful.

I liked the dancing/musical scenes which highlighted each of the couples and then ended with Megha, Raj, and all the couples in a scene.

I liked the part when Raj began whistling the tune of “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow” next to Mr. Shankar right after Raj rescued the tardy Vicky from Mr. Shankar.

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  17. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Mohabbatein review part 2:

The scene when Mr. Aryan revealed to his students that he was the man who had been dismissed from the school years ago was nicely done. I liked seeing all the leaves on the music stands and the way that Mr. Aryan opened his violin case to reveal the leaf from years ago, which had a love note on it. While he was telling the story, I especially liked the moment which showed Raj Aryan dropping his backpack and holding out his arms for Megha.

After Mr. Shankar decided to expel the three young men, when Raj Aryan came to speak to Mr. Shankar is my favorite scene of the whole film. Mr. Shankar believed that between love and fear, fear would always win. So, he felt he had won the battle between himself and Raj Aryan. Raj admitted defeat to Mr. Shankar and agreed to the terms given by Mr. Shankar in order to prevent the young men from being expelled. As Raj began to leave the room, Mr. Shankar stated that he had won (fear would always win). Then Raj stopped, turned around and said to Mr. Shankar;

I’m sorry sir, but from where I see, you lost. Because from where I see, I see a 55 year old father standing below a garlanded photograph of his 19 year old daughter. You lost then and you lost now. You ever wondered Mr. Shankar that why did I ever come back to Gurukul? For whom? The girl I loved is no more. Who are Vicky, Samir and Karan to me? I did not even know them. I did not know anyone here. I came back for you Mr. Shankar. I came back for the father of the girl I loved. I came back because she always told me that you were a very loving man, that you were just hard from the outside, but very soft from the inside. I came to break that hardness. Do you know, Mr. Shankar, I do not have any photograph of Megha. I never felt the need for it, because I see Megha wherever I see love. I thought if I could make just one love story bloom in front of your eyes, you too, would see her. And you would see how happy she is and that will take your pain away. I had come to share your pain, Mr. Shankar. I had come to show you love. I came here because I realized one thing, that Megha was incomplete without you. But you failed to realize that she was incomplete without me too. We together made her complete. I came to complete what we couldn’t do in her lifetime. I came to complete her. I came to complete Megha. You won every battle of life. But you lost everything that was worth living for. You lost a daughter then and now you have lost a son. I’m sorry sir, but from where I see you lost everything. Because I see a stubborn man standing with his back turned to the two people who truly loved him. I am sorry sir. I am sorry.”

This speech that Raj Aryan made is incredibly powerful! What astounds me the most about Raj is that he truly loved Mr. Shankar. I think I would struggle quite a bit to forgive Mr. Shankar. I think it is amazing that Raj was beyond all that and really loved the man.

I loved seeing Amitabh Bachchan give his speech before the students at the end of the film. That was a really nice scene. I understand how Mr. Shankar felt so strongly about tradition, honor, and discipline. And I believe he was a good administrator. His school was very orderly and probably accomplished many good things. However, it was missing things, too, especially the human warmth that comes from a loving heart. Respect is not earned by fear, but by love. It was nice that Mr. Shankar finally realized that. I believe that it is a lot safer and easier to hide behind a façade of non-emotion. But it is lonelier that way. Loving does mean taking risks and maybe losing when you love. At the end of the film, I liked Mr. Shankar’s powerful statement; “Life is about giving and receiving love…nothing else.”

For Raj Aryan to awaken the ability for Mr. Shankar to be warm, loving, and compassionate to his students was wonderful. As far as the issue goes about the male students interacting with women and possibly falling in love…one thing to consider is the practicality of that for the type of school it was. This was a private school for single* men (*I’m assuming they were all single). There was not off-campus housing for married students. I think the students probably were fully aware that their commitment at the school was for a specified period of time, and after they completed their schooling, they would be free to pursue women. The changes made by Raj Aryan certainly would bring more interaction between the men and women, which is nice. It probably would end up changing the dynamics of the school quite a bit…such as students either needing to get married housing, going only part-time to school or quitting school early in order to support their family. Without the distraction of women, the men’s education can be focused and a lot can get accomplished. However, men who are married and going to school tend to approach their education very responsibly. It is do-able to be married while in college.

I loved the ending when Mr. Shankar wiped part of his teeka and then used the red powder to put a teeka on Raj. And then I loved seeing Raj bend down and touch Mr. Shankar’s feet and when they hugged afterwards. The image shown of both Mr. Shankar and Raj Aryan facing the sun with their arms outstretched was really nice. And I loved the ending words: “Some love stories live forever.” It was a beautiful ending to a beautiful film. Aditya Chopra is very talented and I appreciate his work.

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  18. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I was doing film caps as I watched it this time. During the Holi scene at one point he was watching the different couples dancing around him and smiling at them. He suddenly saw Megha off in the distance and the change that came over his face was quite beautiful to see. From a happy smile to a soft, sad, serious, loving expression. I took 2 screen caps close together and was surprised to see how he looked so completely different from one picture to the next. He is a wonderful actor. (the 2 pictures are in the screen caps I posted on the picture thread.)

MaryAnnK and Jasmine thank this.
  19. MaryAnnK

Well, this is the film of the week for the Movie Marathon!
    I have reviewed this thread and would like to hear from a lot more people than just myself. Jasmine and Rubyroo, thank you for your comments. You have added so much to this.

This film is not on my top 10 but it is still watchable. Once you realize that there is not enough Shah Rukh screen time (but what you do get is outstanding!), there is a nice storyline. Love conquers all! Love lives on forever!

20. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Its a good movie but really dragged down by the three students & their love stories. The actors & actresses there are just really lackluster and make me cringe, their stories arent well written and not believable.

SRK & Amitabh and their conflict make the movie worth watching though. Both do outstanding jobs, SRK especially. Their conversations are intense! Its almost like watching two different movies at times, thats how inconsistent the quality is.

Aishwarya is a bit too fake but still ok, she doesnt appear that much anyway and SRK gives such a heartfelt performance that you definitely believe their love story. He was already the perfect romantic hero at this point.

The soundtrack is really good , pretty typical from Aditya with his memorable melodies and songs. Amrish Puri and Anupam Kher feel wasted, not sure why they are in this movie. At least we get some good KKHH references from the latter. Amitabh's character's change of heart is a bit too sudden for me though.

7/10, nowhere near the level of DDLJ.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2016