1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon thoughts!

Discussion in 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham' started by MaryAnnK, Apr 7, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed watching the extras for this one. The scenes that were deleted add a lot to the story! So many tears! This one film that my husband likes. He gets teary-eyed every time the end comes around.

2. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

this film gets me emotional
    the ending scene between SRK and amit ji, between father and son is wonderful and SRK makes me cry
    another excellent movie

3. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

This is not one of my favorite SRK movies at all. Although I do like some of the songs/dances a lot. IMO the plot is way too thin. And the tears are way too many.

My husband asked me a few years ago which film SRK cried in the most and I said there is no question it's K3G so he asked how many times SRK cried and I watched it again then just to count and I believe it was 14 times (he was crying at the end credits too). That's 12 times more than I would want to see him cry in a film and 14 times more than the plot justified IMO (especially the huge crocodile tears Karan has him go for a number of times).

But several of the SRK songs I have watched many times and I also like You Are My Soniya with HR.

4. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

LOL! Bridget! I can't believe you counted!! :pound:
    I agree with you - waaayyy too many times and the plot is weak.

This movie is 'trademark Bollywood' for many people outside of India and unfortunately it did as much good as harm for the Indian cinema, many people got prejudiced against Indian movies because of KKKG.

5. AnitaK

AnitaK Member

I really liked this movie. I thought it had a very believable plot and the cast was excellent. I loved the interaction between SRK, Kajol, Kareena and Hrithrik. The first thing I noticed about this film though was that Mr. Bachchan seemed to really have a "thing" for Rani (which, to me, seemed to run deeper than the script...). Anyway, I didn't mind the tears. It was a very emotional movie and I thought the tears were called for both in the sad and happy times. There was death, separation from a close-knit family, and then the happy reuinion as well. It's not my favorite, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

6. Ella

Ella Haan farishtey hote hain ♥

AW: Movie Marathon thoughts!

How i said, i love this movie. :heart::heart: Most the funny scenes, begin with the first meet of Rahul and Anjali and go on in London, when Rohan meets his brother ten years later. There are so many little things like mimic and gesture, sometimes the overacting (for me). Must laugh so many times.

But also the emotionally scenes ...:Cry:

This was my first movie with Shah Rukh, i've watched, and it is absolutly one of my favorite, i can watch it again and again and again.

Btw. i agree with MaryAnn, that the deleted scenes :)D:D) add a lot. Two of them are my absolutly favorite (after Yeh Ladka Hai Allah :)heart::heart:)and the romantic evening in London :pound::pound:).

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  7. Elahe

Elahe Dil To Shahrukhee hai!

Watched k3g today for maybe the 20th time, I really enjoy this one, IMO its one of those movies in which shahrukh brilliantly showed off part of his acting skills, the emotional shahrukh with scenes also filled with his unique sense of humour. I cant count the scenes in which shahrukh says something truuuuly hilarious in a very low voice. I really love that about him.
    When he falls in love, when he finds out that Anjali's father is dead, when he tells his dad all about Anjali, later in London all the funny scenes with Kareena and Hrithik... and the end ...wow! and yes I too wish they hadn't deleted those lovely cute scenes

The whole movie is soooo filled with intense emotions that I can't tell which is my favourite scene, I love the emotional shahrukh and shahrukh is emotional in almost 80% of the duration of the movie and so what can I say.....
    One of those movies in which his eyes say it all, I really enjoy the flash backs to KKHH and also the songs, especially the title song, suraj hua madham (some of the sexiest shahrukhee moments), bole chudyan and of course yeh ladka hai allah.
    I also somewhat enjoy seeing the six of them together in one frame.
    Rahul's character is the sooooo sweet and loveable, and even though my favourite costar opposite shahrukh is not kajol I really believe there's a certain flow to the scenes when they work together.
    I absolutely lovvvve this movie and shahrukh in it.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  8. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Khabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham-----Through smiles and tears.
    So many things about this movie that I love. But I am going to talk about the scenes that still give me goosebumps even after watching it dozens of times.

When Rahul comes home for Diwali....and his mother knows when he arrives...When he comes through that door and she sees him= true mother's love and son's love for her.

When Anjali's father dies, and Rahul walks to her and puts his hand on her head. I have read somewhere that this is him accepting responsibility for her....this scene is breathtaking. I'm getting chills just thinking about it. He goes thru everything in his mind that his father has said, but still walks through the rain and takes her and her sister.....

Yash telling him he is not his blood and not his son is so heartbreaking...Rahul ask "so does that mean I have no place in this house anymore?} And Yash just turns his head.....
    but the scene when he asks his mother, "I'right am I not", and she nods, and he says "Then let me go, can I go? I cry like a baby everytime, I have watched this scene hundreds of times. The whole walk down the stars and her holding on to his hand, then finger...(can you tell I am a mother of a son?)

When Rohan first sees his brother....and Rahul seems to know something is different, Rohand tells him his name is Yash and Rahul says he can stay, they shake hands with the picture of their mother looking on. I had no problem with Rahul not really recognizing his brother....remember they were not blood brothers.

At the Karwa Chauth party when Rahul reaches out and hugs Rohan, and they show his mother rushing to the door thinking he has come home...

The last part of the movie where Rahul and Anjali come home, and he walks with his mother remembering growing up, the last scene with his father is very moving also.

I related so much to the mother and son in this movie.

Loved Jaya Bachan as the mother, she and Amitabh Bachchan are two of my favorite actors. He did a good job in this, he made me hate him very much at times I scream some pretty bad things at him through out the movie.
    Of course Shah Rukh makes the film, he is so moving playing a son, husband and brother.

I said it...Didn't I? That's it! (Sounds better in Hindi)

Journey95, skrogers, Jasmine and 3 others thanked this.
  9. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I just finished watching it for the first time, and I love it so much. I think it's just a perfect movie, so beautifully done. I am going to have to watch it again tomorrow and write some more, probably a lot more, but I had to come and see what you said Debbie. :)

Debbie says thanks.
  10. MaryAnnK

Loved Jaya Bachan as the mother... She absolutely steals the show with emotion for me!
    and then we have: "I said it...Didn't I? That's it!" Oh, yeah. Talk about getting knocked off the pedestal!!!
    The power she has in her voice when she says it!!! But, the relationship she has with Rahul, I absolutely love it!

Jasmine, rubyroo and Debbie thank this.
  11. rubyroo

Spoilers.

There is something very satisfying about the plot of this movie. Everything fits together so well. The personalities and actions of each character are completely explained. Nothing that happens is arbitrary. Everything unfolds in a very natural way. This is why I never felt anger or dislike for any character. Besides the fact that I find each one of the actors in the movie endearing and appealing, I felt that I understood why each one acted as they did and I felt sympathy for each one of them.

Yash's rejection of Anjali is explained though not excused by his dream of the perfect daughter in law for his family, who is embodied by beautiful, sweet Naina. Anjali is not and never could be the girl he would choose. Anjali is who she is, she could never change for anyone, nor does she need to since Rahul is irresistibly attracted to the very qualities in her that his father is unable to accept. Rahul from the start is completely different in temperament and interests from his father, so it is completely natural that Anjali is his choice rather than Naina.

There is an explanation given for everything that happens, such as why Rahul and his family didn't recognize the adult Rohan. (Because he was a chubby little boy and they never saw him for 10 years during which time he obeyed his brother's parting instructions to lose weight and become an athlete.) Why Anjali and her sister were suddenly left without a protector, (the only thing that could have made Rahul disobey his father.) Their father was shown to be in frail health from the very beginning of the movie. Why did Rahul make the mistake of not giving his father a chance and a bit of time to change his mind and eventually welcome Anjali into the family? Because he had been traumatized and left vulnerable by his discovery at the age of 8 that he had been adopted. This made him too easily believe that his father no longer loved him after his unsuitable marriage, and is the reason that he ran away to England and never came back for 10 years.

Some favorite things:
    -All the music and dancing. I love to see Amitabh Bachchan dance. (My ideal man is tall with long legs.) I liked hearing him sing in Say Shava Shava.

-Hrithik Roshan. This is the first movie I have seen him in and he is very good at everything Shah Rukh is very good at. He is also very handsome- tall too! (I continue to like Shah Rukh the best by far, of course.)

-Kareena Kapoor. I loved her so much in Asoka, and I loved her just as much in this movie. She was bursting with attitude but never obnoxiously so because there was so much lighthearted humor in her portrayal of Pooja.

-The amazing sets, costumes, and locations. What could be more beautiful, bold, and audacious than Kajol and the transparent shirted Shah Rukh dancing among the pyramids of Egypt? I think Karan Johar is a true artist. I like and admire him so much for what he brought to life in this gorgeous movie.

Kajol- She was incredible in this. There can be no more lovable girl in all the world than the loud, funny, boisterous, and uninhibited Anjali.

-Shah Rukh- This Rahul is his best one I believe. He expressed so well the pain of a son who felt rejected by the parent he loved and admired so much. “You will never understand. To turn a stranger into your own and then to turn him back into a stranger. You can never understand the pain.” Well if anyone can make us understand it's Shah Rukh.

-The climactic scene at the end where Rahul was reunited with his father. Shah Rukh and Amitabh were wonderful in this scene.

Two other interesting things in this movie: Rahul as a child was played by Aryan Khan. Rahul's parents were played by Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan who are married in real life.

Jasmine, MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  12. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Warning: spoilers

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham is a beautiful film. My favorite aspect of this film is having so much acting talent together in the same film, with stars Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Hrithik Roshan, and Kareena Kapoor. And beautiful Rani Mukerji made a special appearance in the film.

I thought the script for this film was very well written. Again and again, I was touched with the beautiful dialogue between actors. The humor added in was perfect and was performed with clever skillfulness. Nothing was tiresome. The storyline moved along, and wove together smoothly.

The artful design with attention to all the subtle details created elegant texture to the atmosphere for the story to be told. So many touches brought beauty to this film: Falling flower pedals, candles lit, lace, jewels, pretty saris, white curtains softly blowing in the background, helicopter blades followed by a view of Rani Mukerji from above with her arms outstretched, twirling like helicopter blades, Shah Rukh Khan and Hrithik Roshan wearing black clothes sitting on a white bench, Jaya Bachchan in a teal sari and the screen shot fading and transitioning to Kajol wearing a similar teal colored sari, Shah Rukh Khan’s foot stepping in a puddle as you hear the splash of water, and the dreamy visions of Shah Rukh Khan in sheer shirts and Kajol in beautiful saris with pyramids behind them .

I loved the affectionate teasing way the characters interacted with each other, such as the way Rahul did with his younger brother Rohan, tussling his hair and telling him that mom loved him the most. I also loved the goofy mixed up scenes that were hilarious, such as when Anjali first met Rahul and confused him for the fiancé and began quoting poetry to him. Also, Rohan and Pooja as adults were an absolute riot (hilarious) as they verbally sparred with each other with sparks flying everywhere as they smiled and teased one another.

Things that are memorable to me about this film are:

· Being able to see Amitabh and Jaya together in the same film…as husband and wife, no less!

· Being able to see Aryan Khan when he was little

· The cute grandmas

· Yash Chopra’s helicopter from Yash Raj studios…Amitabh’s character’s initials were the same: Yash Raichand.

· Shah Rukh Khan’s feet: stepping down from a plane and running towards their family’s helicopter, stepping out of the helicopter at home, stepping through the doorway at the shopping mall, and stepping through a doorway at his parent’s home with Kajol to complete a wedding ritual.

· Nandini (Jaya Bachchan) always being aware of her son and the loving relationship they had.

· The moments of meaningful gestures: when the children respectfully touched the feet of their elders. And the moment when Rahul touched Anjali’s head after her father passed away.

· The song and dance numbers, all the great music and choreography.

· Anjali’s hilarious apology scene to Yash Raichand – about breaking his pot (vase). During this scene, Kajol reminded me a bit of Meg Ryan for some reason…maybe her laugh or her smile.

· Seeing the cameo of the cute mute boy who counted stars in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

· During a dance when Anjali’s necklace gets stuck on Rahul’s collar, the way Rahul looks at Anjali right then, then her bracelet gets stuck on his sleeve, then a child ties both their scarves together (symbolic of a wedding ritual), then Rahul quickly starts running in circles (the wedding ritual) as Anjali tries to untie their scarves.

· The tear-jerking scene when Yash Raichand, hurt by his son’s choice to marry Anjali, told Rahul that he was not of his blood and that he had no right to call him “Papa”. And Rahul, broken hearted said; “Made me a stranger in a moment. Does this mean I have no place in this house anymore?” And Yash Raichand did not answer his son.

· Pooja’s fun attitude and her fashionable clothing that was very immodest

· Rohan’s expensive red sports car

· I loved the moment when Rohan and Rahul meet for the first time after 10 years, all their interactions after that point, and the moment when Rahul discovered that Rohan was his younger brother.

· When Rahul and Anjali’s son sings an Indian song

· When Yash Raichand was trying to say “IPad”, but wasn’t quite sure of the name and said; “ICan” and “IPack”

· The moment when Rahul and his mother meet in the mall

· The final reuniting scene with Yash Raichand, Rahul, and Anjali

As always, Shah Rukh Khan was breathtakingly handsome. I love especially his beautiful brown eyes. I love seeing his feet. I love seeing him run. I love everything about him. At one point in the film, he had traditional Indian clothing on and it was nice to see him dressed that way. One thing that impresses me about Shah Rukh Khan is that his acting does not feel rehearsed at all. Everything he does seems natural and spontaneous.

Without meaning to play down anyone else’s performance, because I admire and appreciate the talents of all the stars in this film, I will mention something else. I think Hrithik is an amazing dancer. His movements are very connected and smooth, unlike anything I have ever seen. He is wonderful to watch. One thing that I felt, though, was…even though I am very impressed with Hrithik’s dancing…when Shah Rukh Khan began dancing, he was loaded with talent…but there was something more that came with him…it was this incredible strength and a powerful feeling of masculine energy that filled the screen, touching my heart and soul with great impact. Even just thinking of him on screen…days after watching him…fills my heart with warmth and love.

This film is full of so much richness, in every way. Karan Johar has amazing talent. This film is a masterpiece for him to forever be proud of. I loved watching it. I am grateful for the talents of those involved with this film. Their contribution to brightening and enriching the lives of others is a valuable gift.

Journey95 and MaryAnnK thank this.
  13. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Rubyroo, the first film I saw Hrithik Roshan in was Jodhaa Akbar. Then, I saw him in Doom 2. Those are both available streaming on Netflix. Aishwara Rai is in both of those. Abhishek Bachchan and Uday Chopra are in Doom 2. I enjoyed those films. A couple of other Hrithik films that might be interesting to see are Krrish and Mujhse Dosti Karoge. You can get Krrish from Netflix through the mail and it has a prequel. Priyanka Chopra is in that one. Mujhse Dosti Karoge is available streaming. Rani Mukerji and Kareena Kapoor are in that one. That one is a little older. My two oldest daughters like Shah Rukh Khan best, but sometimes ask to see Hrithik films. I miss Shah Rukh Khan too much if I try and watch films without him. But I've seen the ones I mentioned and they are pretty good.

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  14. rubyroo

Agree with all you said especially these things. The use of color and imagery was brilliant. Cool about the helicopter. I recognized the initials were the same, but didn't know that was Yashji's own helicopter. I noticed that about the little boy counting "tares." Something you mention that I liked so much was how Rahul and his family didn't recognize Rohan, but yet they all showed that there was something about him...especially Rahul. Like their hearts recognized him from the first.

I agree so much about Hrithik and Shah Rukh. Hrithik is in many ways SRK's equal in talent. He may even be a better dancer, and he acts with a great sensitivity that reminds me of Shah Rukh's style. However, Shah Rukh just has something about him that makes him superior to any other actor I have seen. I always wonder if it is because as he said to me in my most cherished reply from him on twitter, "my acting style is influenced by wot I go thru in life." I think of this now because in a recent interview when he talked of his dad's death, he told how he has given himself permission to draw on such experiences in his acting. Once a director said he wanted him in his movie because he always saw a sadness in his eyes. I believe that Shah Rukh has experienced a greater depth of tragedy in his life than many people have. He was at the sides of both his beloved parents as they made the final painful journey to death, and he was so very young for both. He saw things that I would want to shield my own children from at the age of 15 and even 25. No one can underestimate the scars he bears from that. We are priviledged that he shares such depths of himself with us in his movies.

Jasmine says thanks.
  15. MaryAnnK

Rubyroo, I couldn't agree more with your comment: We are priviledged that he shares such depths of himself with us in his movies.

With the most recent deaths of Yash-ji and Ravi, I think we have seen him truly at his lowest level! The pain of death is what drives him from within. His comments are always about wanting his parents to see him, and I truly believe that they do!

And Hrithik, what a sweetheart. He is a trained dancer! He had trained for many years as he did his studies prior to entering the film industry. He also has Marfan's syndrome which leaves him with the longish limbs that make for those graceful movements while dancing!

rubyroo says thanks.
  16. MaryAnnK

Okay, it has been a year since I last posted and probably that long since I last watched this one. I was going to post about Mrs. Raichand's dialog delivery! I felt her pain and anguish as she removed her husband from his pedestal (a place that is held my husbands but not deserved so unearned!) Through happiness and sadness, but this time, I really felt it for Mrs. Raichand. Who could so cruelly separate a son from his mother? For 10 years, no less!!! I am having difficulty finding the words to express myself right now! How could she continue living with him? Help me out here!

17. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I have always felt that way MaryAnn, what kind of man would do such a thing...and then everyone forgives him....I can't imagine how much he hurt his wife and son...and then professing to love his son....Not the kind of father anyone would want. I love the part where she finally tells him what he is. Just too bad it took her so long to do so. But women have been held under their husbands for 100's of years so understandable.
    I remember my grandmother telling me a story about her second husband, her first had died when her children were very young, the second husband told her the kids had to go or he would....she said that while she was on the bus on the way to her job that day, the girl she was with said, look at that poor man, it looks like he has everything he owns with him on the street.....grandma said I never told her that was my husband, that was her answer to him. My grandma was born poor in the hills of Kentucky in 1889, but she was a strong woman. I always think of her when I see Mrs. Raichand finally tell him enough, I have said it now.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  18. MaryAnnK

Wouldn't it be interesting to know a little more about her life history? It sounds as though it was very traditional. Husband chosen; married; family. No life choices of your own. It reminds me of Lakshmi in Paheli. Never having the opportunity to put voice to your wishes, let alone consider making a wish for one's self!

Now, think back to Ruksar's impending marriage! She would have loved to attend, but "bas!" I said it! and she aquiesced (submit or comply silently or without protest)!!

Debbie says thanks.
  19. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

LOL. You are curious of such a life?? Its the real story of my grandmothers/mothers generation ... The ideal version of Indian Patriarchy which allows women to be a Goddess of love, symbol of maternity and purity etc and while the husband is the hardworking head of the family.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    MaryAnnK says thanks.
  20. anesya

anesya Guest

i think marryann was pointing out her life before the decision of such marriage like that. we really did get not much information of her.

MaryAnnK says thanks.