1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon thoughts!

Discussion in 'Darr' started by MaryAnnK, Apr 3, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I am in the middle of finals now and can't take the time to watch this one. It is okay and I love Juhi and Shah Rukh. I can't stand Sunny Deol. He bothers me in this role. Another one that let's you see Shah Rukh in his character and not as Shah Rukh. I love how he becomes the character. :heart::heart: He is the master of disguises. He gives me the creeps as the movie moves along. The stalker today would be arrested and thrown in jail. But one just cannot help feeling sorry for him. Poor fellow talking to his mother on the phone! What can you say?

2. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

Yes, this is one that Shah Rukh excels in. I used to think that Sunny Deol just couldn't match up to Shah Rukh. While I still think this is true, I also think that his role couldn't match up to Shah Rukh's either. His character was a cocky commando. As far as hero roles go, there wasn't much reason to like the guy. And as far as villain roles go, there was pleanty of room to rout for the crazy, obsessive, stalker, not so far in getting to K-k-k-kiran, but at least in killing Sunil.

And the ending, making fun of a guy Sunil has just killed, is just cheap, even if it was a villain. Very un-heroic.

rubyroo says thanks.
  3. MaryAnnK

I agree. When I saw that the first time, I was like :jaw: That was such a cheap shot. The poor guy was mentally ill and they were making fun of him!

rubyroo says thanks.
  4. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

I dont have this film and I dont think i've ever seen it before but I did see a few scenes before
    I also cant stand sunny deol in this movie, actually i cant stand him at all and i didnt like juhi in this one either ... sorry about that!
    But im honestly saying SRK was fab, i've never seen him so crazy like that. some of the scenes where he is doing crazy stuff, like writing KIRAN on his chest with a knife made me so scared :behindsofa:
    I had to keep telling myself: its just a movie, its all make-belief but still when it comes to that scene i turn the whole thing off then im spending precious time putting it back on and forwarding it back to the scene i was at instead of watching SRK :crazy:

5. FilmiGirl

FilmiGirl Active Member

Not a bad film overall but still, Shahrukh definitely outshines the other actors and the part as written. It's not hard to see why he became a star playing roles like this. He's brilliant!

I can't imagine any other actor being able to do what he did with this role. Only he could make you want to hug a psychotic, homicidal stalker and comfort him. He's so sweet and innocent most of the time with that baby face and then every once in awhile the madness shows for an instant and then he reels it back in. He has the most expressive eyes I have ever seen.

I laughed at the ridiculous music a couple of times...the Top Gun theme, really? For a helicopter landing? And Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx performed as Swiss Musak? Yikes!

Sunny Deol was boring as cardboard and I found Juhi to be too cartoon-like for my taste.

My favorite scene was when they were in the outdoor cafe in Switzerland and he was being teased about the girl he was crazy about in college. When he leans into Sunil and tells him he's thinking of killing the girl's husband...classic!

I have to admit that this is one movie where I was rooting for the "bad guy" to get the girl.

OMG! 'm watching the end right now. I just laughed the most evil laugh when Rahul stabbed Sunil. If this had been an American film, hie performance would have been nominated for an Academy Award I think...or should have been.

Oi vey, really? Sunil just had to wear that ridiculous do-rag on his head? What a douchebag! Is that to show us that he's in commando mode as opposed to slack-jawed, hand in his pants, burping on the couch mode? (which is what Kiran will be spending her life with by the way)

And whose idiotic idea was it for that last scene in the airport? It should have ended on the boat. That was ridiculous!

rubyroo says thanks.
  6. MaryAnnK

We are in the middle of it right now. My son in law caught the Top Gun music!!! I had missed it. I only saw it once when it first came out. I think he did get an award for this one. I can't imagine anyone else portraying this crazy psycho. Shah Rukh has the baby face that carried the compassion for the character that you would never have gotten if Sunny had played the role!! I agree. I just wanted to hold him in my arms and make him all better at the end. And, yes, the airport scene was totally unnecessary. Back to the movie now. Glad you liked it.

7. MaryAnnK

I just watched this again!!

I am still in awe that he is able to pull off this character and we are still feeling sorry for him in the end! Who else could have done this? He fits negative rolls well. We still love him no matter what he has done!

8. Elahe

Elahe Dil To Shahrukhee hai!

Believe it or not I fell in love with shahrukh with this movie in 1994! I was very small at that time and my mom was worried that I woudl later in life get attracted to crazy people, which didn't happen:p
    I love you kkkkkkiran! I mean who could have done it like he did, he was amazing in this movie and the song jadoo teri nazar is still one of my favourite songs, it simply doesn't get old for me
    my favourite scene is when in almost the end he is fighting with sunnil but has not given up yet till kiran says sunnil KILL HIM! and the way he looks at her, he can't believe she says that after all the love he had for her, he dies right there before sunil kills him!
    and of course the last scene in the airport should have definitely been deleted

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  9. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

This was the first SRK movie I didn't like. Not because SRK was the villain (If you could call a pathetic mentally ill man a villain, that is) and not because of his sad fate, but because I couldn't stand Kiran or her creepy husband.
    He was oogling girls in bikinis and watching a stripper on TV on his honeymoon??? and she was not devastated by it???
    The trouble is that you can't help wondering if she might have been better off if she had fallen in love with the crazy guy instead.
    I hated the way they rejoiced at the news that Vicky had died. I hated the way they showed no mercy to a man who they knew was mentally ill and most likely not responsible for his actions. And most of all I hated the way they joked about Rahul after his death.
    These things were horribly tragic occurrences and they ought to have treated them as such.
    I usually love the song and dance parts but I skipped over the ones featuring Kiran and Sunil. They bored me even before I found out what heartless monsters they were.
    SRK did do a great job with his part. I can see why this launched an amazing career for him He seemed far more suited to be the romantic lead even when cast in the role of a guy who loved a girl "like a madman" for real.
    I also liked the way this movie was an eery dark mirror image of DDLJ in many ways.
    I doubt that I will be watching this one again. I would not mind seeing SRK's performance again, but I couldn't bear to wade through all the "bad" parts for it.

Jasmine and MaryAnnK thank this.
  10. rubyroo

This contains spoilers for both Darr and Baazigar.

This is a great thread. It is worth reading all the posts- so many awesome comments.

Even though I vowed not to watch this movie again, I gave in and watched it a second time, and appreciated it more. Since then I have watched all the Shah Rukh parts additional multiple times because he is so wonderful in it. Now that I am watching all his movies in order, I watched Baazigar for the first time and now I watched Darr again pretty much all the way through to compare them.

I really think I like Baazigar better. In Baazigar, SRK WAS the movie. In Darr he was the movie too but someone forgot to tell the director and he gave too many scenes to the other actors! LOL. I found the character of Ajay to be much more compelling than Rahul for some reason. I watched Baazigar twice and I cried like a baby when he died both times and not at all when Rahul died in Darr. (I'm sure I must have cried the first time I saw it though.) SRK's death scene in Baazigar was just so heart wrenching, and he died in the arms of his mother with the girl who loved him close by, both also crying their eyes out along with me. I guess I am used to the idea of him dying in Darr, so it doesn't bother me as much. Death was the only solution for Rahul. He was just too crazy to be running around loose, and I'd have hated to see him locked up in a mental hospital for the criminally insane. That would have been a REALLY bad ending.

I also loved the music in Baazigar and SRK danced so much which I adore watching. I liked the theme song for Darr and the song where Rahul and Kiran danced together but the other songs were not that good. Sunny Deol had 2 chances to do songs and dances with Juhi, and he ran around and did a bunch of stuff with her like taking baths together, :bathbaby: but he never danced with her at all. SRK completely eclipsed him in his one opportunity. It was amazing the contrast between their two performances. SRK is a wonderful performer. He just moves so beautifully and shows such emotion.

Now I will just say what parts of the movie Darr I liked best.

First the terrorist mission in which Sunil killed ten terrorists singlehandedly (that was all of them, BTW.) I laugh so hard every time I see that scene. The ninja apparel, the way he dispatched one guy by squishing him in a door, and best of all the way piles of reinforcements arrived as soon as the last of the bad guys was dead. Then the whole unit got a month's holiday as a reward, even though Sunil did all the work!! YAY!:cheer2:

The scene where Rahul is standing behind Kiran in the elevator is one of my top favorite scenes from any SRK movie I have seen so far. SRK looks the most angelic he has ever looked in his entire life in that scene. Yummy!!:hungry:

Then came Kiran's birthday when Kiran proved she was a perfect dunce by not looking around to see who her secret lover was when he came up behind her and kissed her on the neck. In the dark with his shiny eyes, Rahul had probably his most demonic looking moment in the movie. I loved how he helped himself to some of her BD cake after frightening her half to death.:party:

The Holi scene- No one ever played a drum as angrily and defiantly as Rahul did in that scene. He looked so fierce and dangerous...

Whenever I get to the scene where Rahul discovers that Juhi has just visited his house along with Sunil, I have to rewind and rewatch extra times. He is so good at depicting joy there, but then when he sees the wedding invitation, the joy turns to pain, and then he does some rage in his bedroom right after. I just have to say that if that is what they call overacting, I think it's totally awesome and I love it.

Then what I think is probably the most exciting on foot chase scene ever filmed. (After Rahul tries to shoot Sunil) I love watching SRK run almost as much as I love watching him dance, even when he runs into a pole and bonks his head.

I just have to mention here something I thought was so amusing in both Baazigar and Darr. Whenever people around SRK's character were talking about the crimes he had committed, like in the hospital scene, he always looked and acted so guilty. I am amazed no one ever noticed and caught him on the spot.

I am not going to talk about the things I did not like about Darr here because it is all covered in the earlier posts. I agree with what everyone else said, including what I wrote in my other review. (which is just above this one!)
    Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 8.21.13 PM 1.png Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 8.22.48 PM  2.png Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 8.42.31 PM  3.png Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 9.09.55 PM  5.png Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 9.44.05 PM  6.png Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 10.11.28  7.png Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 11.24.58  8 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 11.29.53 9PM.png Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 11.44.54 10.png Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 11.55.49  4.png The last one is because I think the only color SRK should ever wear is black. :hungry:

Jasmine, MaryAnnK and Anjali72 thank this.
  11. rubyroo

I thought Juhi was just adorable in Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman. I did not like the character she played in Darr. I tried to analyze why as I watched it again last night. I think it's because she was so relentlessly pert especially in all her scenes with Sunil. It reminded me of the description of a character in a Thomas Hardy novel:
    A little of that goes a long ways. Too much becomes extremely annoying.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  12. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

DARR (warning: spoilers)

NOTICED:
    v Top Gun Music played as Sunil gets off the helicopter and again later on the boat.
    v Dalip Tahil, who plays Captain Mehra, Rahul’s father, also played Madan Chopra in Baazigar. He also appeared in Deewana and King Uncle.

DIDN’T LIKE:
    v Sunil scaring Kiran in the swimming pool
    v Vicky sniffing drugs
    v Rahul carving Kiran’s name on his chest. I know it was pretend, and just for the film, but I don’t like the thought of Shah Rukh Khan’s BEAUTIFUL chest getting marred by anything!
    v Sunil & Kiran in a bath tub
    v Sunil checking out girls in bathing suits when he was taking a picture of Kiran
    v Sunil watching stripper on TV
    v When Kiran started stripping in front of Sunil
    v Rahul slapping Kiran on boat (somehow overlooked that before, even though I’ve seen this film a lot)
    v Kiran telling Sunil to kill Rahul. I HATED her saying that!!!
    v The look on Rahul’s face when Kiran told Sunil to kill him. This was the most painful moment in the film for me. After all the love and devotion he had given her, this was how she treated him.

LIKED/LOVED:
    v The vibrant colors of beautiful flowers on college campus.
    v Beautiful Juhi Chawla
    v Sunil’s green “Snoopy” apron he wore during “dream song” when Sunil was showing Kiran their new apartment.
    v The way Rahul described Kiran to his “mother” on the phone. Some of the loving descriptions Rahul gave of Kiran could be applied to SRK from us, his fans, such as; “There’s a …magic in [his] eyes”…”it feels like..as if time will come to a stand still.”…”you should see [him] smiling…”You will feel as if all the miseries in the world have suddenly ended. As if the whole world is filled with flowers”…”[He’s] not a mere [man], but a blessing…a blessing which has landed on the earth.”
    v Elevator scene when Rahul lovingly touches Kiran’s scarf. Shah Rukh Khan looks so wonderful in this scene.
    v After Sunil asks Rahul what he does for a living, Rahul said; “Love”.
    v Rahul playing the drum at Kiran’s house during the Holi Festival. I LOVED this part!!!!
    v Breathtaking scenery during musical numbers
    v Rahul wearing white suit and mask at dance
    v Rahul’s dream dance and musical number with Kiran - The most beautiful and powerful part of this film, to me, was when Rahul was at the same restaurant as Sunil and Kiran. I like the part starting from the moment when Kiran was sitting alone at a table and Rahul looked over at her…and his dream dance/musical began, with him taking a flower over to her and then dancing with her and then the song Tu Mere Saamne starts.
    v The moment when Rahul’s beautiful eyes are shut and then as they open when he stays overnight at the honeymoon spot and finds that Sunil and Kiran have left.
    v Rahul’s invincibility when fighting with Sunil
    v Rahul’s strength kicking down Kiran’s door on the boat

Juhi Chawla is very beautiful. I know she was doing her job as an actress to show devotion to Sunny Deol as Sunil Malhotra. But, I did not like seeing her with him. I don’t like some of the way her character was written for the film, especially at the end when she asked Sunil to kill Rahul. I think she should have shown more kindness/sympathy for Rahul. Kiran did not deserve Rahul’s love.

The only time I’ve ever seen Sunny Deol is in this film. He may have assets, but nothing impressed me about him in this film. The way Sunny Deol’s character, Sunil, was written for this film was not appealing to me. When he was looking at other girls in bathing suits and watching a stripper on television, that really lowered him in my eyes. He had beautiful Juhi Chawla! Why did he want to look at other women? Sunil did not deserve Kiran.

And Shah Rukh Khan…beautiful, wonderful Shah Rukh Khan! I really like this movie because of Shah Rukh Khan. He is a really talented actor. And I like seeing him do negative rolls. He’s so good at it. His masculinity is perfect and powerful. And each time I see him in a film, I’m reminded of that. God’s most beautiful creation is Shah Rukh Khan.

MaryAnnK, Alenka and rubyroo thank this.
  13. SharlaJ

SharlaJ Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed that Shah Rukh wore the same shirt from Baazigar (dance scene with Kajol) that he wore in Darr (Tu Mere Saamne with Juhi). Just found it interesting?

Jasmine and MaryAnnK thank this.
  14. rubyroo

Rahul would have been a much better match for her. However it could not be because he truly was mentally ill. I think that part of Rahul's illness included the need for his love object to be unattainable. If he had been normal, he would have pursued her openly in college and no doubt she would have fallen in love with him, because how could she help it? I guess that when another man actually possessed her, Rahul was induced to finally go after her for real but by then it was too late.

A very beautiful moment in the movie which well illustrates that Sunil couldn't hold a candle to Rahul was when Rahul was talking to Kiran on the phone for the second time. He belittled the flat Sunil was going to provide for Kiran's home saying it was not worthy of her. He then gave a lovely poetic description of the home that he wanted to give her and thought she deserved. It was the stuff of dreams, and I would have melted on the spot if someone said those things to me. She didn't even seem to be listening though.

He gave up and let himself be killed after she said that. It reminded me of when Amar begged Meghna to say she loved him in Dil Se, and she never did. The difference in Dil Se was that they both knew that she really did love him as much as he loved her.

It was all so wonderful.
    The flowering shrubs were azaleas and rhododendrons. I wish I knew where they filmed that scene.

Amen, sister. We see things so much alike!

Jasmine says thanks.
  15. rubyroo

Yes indeed I did notice. I happily wasted some time one evening taking screen caps from both scenes to compare the patterns on the shirts, and there is no doubt they are identically the same. My post about it is halfway down this page:

http://www.planetsrk.com/community/threads/matching-game.26053/page-4

I also had noticed when I watched Darr for the first time that SRK wore that same shirt and black jeans for the entire song which is not usually done. Juhi had several different outfits in that song.

Another thing I have been noticing is that Shah Rukh wore boots with cuban heels in some scenes of all the early movies. (you can get a good look at them in his walk on the ledge scene in Darr.) I wonder if they were the same boots...

Jasmine says thanks.
  16. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Yes, Rubyroo recently posted some pictures of that. I'll have to look around and see where the pictures are & then give you the link. Or, Rubyroo might see your question, and let you know.

Anjali72 says thanks.
  17. rubyroo

Jasmine says thanks.
  18. SharlaJ

Also, the pool scene with Ajay and Seema in Baazigar is the same pool site in Yes Boss with Rahul and Seema. I know you're not there yet, but when you get there keep an eye out for it. ;)

Jasmine, Anjali72 and rubyroo thank this.
  19. MaryAnnK

In his early days, he was many times filming 2, 3, or four films at a time and I think the costuming crossed over! Not a huge point, but an interesting observation. I had made that connection as well. It made me wonder if they had costumers or his own personal wardrobe from which to choose!

Jasmine and rubyroo thank this.
  20. SharlaJ

I have not read this entire thread, so, I may be restating an already addressed point,
    but, I have also noticed that these movies share the same "Home Scenes":

Dil Aashna Hai--scene when Karan is arguing with his father. It is the same brick wall and doorway entry scene from Ram Jaane
    Deewana--home that Kajal relocated to with her mother-in-law
    RBGG--home gifted to Raju by Sapna
    Chamatkar--different scenes throughout mostly where the crooks hang out
    Darr--Rahul's home, scene when Sunil and Kiran dropped off the wedding invitation
    Ram Jaane--different scenes throughout mostly where Bhau and Technicolor hung out
    Yes Boss--SRK shown in the beginning and Sidarth's home, scene when piano is being delivered
    Dil To Pagal Hai--Pooja's home, scene when Pooja is chasing Ajay thru the house

Also, these movies share the same "Home Scenes":

RBGG--the scene of the party thrown for Raju
    Zamana Deewana--Priya's home, the night of the engagement party

There are other movies that share certain scenes too, but, these are the most numerous. This just lets you know how many times I have seen them.:D:bounce:

rubyroo and Jasmine thank this.