1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon thoughts!

Discussion in 'Dil Ashna Hai' started by MaryAnnK, Mar 28, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I have watched this one several times. It is not one of my favorites but it is tolerable. I think the first few times I watched it, other than enjoying Shah Rukh, just the story line had my interest. It sure is something that we would not make in Hollywood! The songs are not very memorable either. Just an early look at the eyes!!!!:heart::D:heart::D

2. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

Actually I thought the storyline was interesting, too. Shah Rukh is in a supporting role here, and his character isn't given much to do. But he looks so sweet and innocent in this movie.

This is more of a woman-driven movie, which is what I find most interesting. In the majority of movies it's just the opposite--woman has problem, man saves the day. In this case, it is the women who take action, and Shah Rukh's character just helps move the story along.

Songs: mostly forgettable, but not bad. The title song has SRK looking young and sweet and fashionable for the time in an oversize red jacket with the sleeves pushed up. Title song is the best pictured of the songs.

I don't know that I'd watch it over and over again because Shah Rukh doesn't have much scope in this movie, but it was a nice film.

3. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

this is one movie i have HORRID thoughts about no matter what!!! :puke: he shouldnt have done this one!!!

4. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Kyun? :confused2:

I mean, it's not one of my favourites either. And Shahrukh's role is so small, there is no reason to watch it too often... But I agree with MaryAnn and Carol... It's interesting woman oriented story, but it's quite forgettable, IMO because the way it was made it looks even more outdated than most other his early films....

5. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Did anyone want to make a comment for this new marathon? I wish I could find the words for the songs. I love the title song and can figure out a little of it. Any thoughts?

6. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I watched it for the second or third time time today and yesterday. This time I was less judgmental and just accepted the oddities and of course I enjoyed it a lot more. I liked the 3 women. The actresses had a lot of character. I liked it that none of the three were conventional beauties. I just love the way Amrita Singh laughs. It reminds me of the scene in RBGG where Raj took her to a little street cafe in Dehli where they sat on the ground and drank lassi and got lassi mustaches. Her laugh was just charming.

I understood more this time the explanation of the 3 women's plans for the baby and how they lost track of her. It seems like they did the best they could under the circumstances.

I really like the actor who played Arjun Singh, Jeetendra. He was also in Zamaana Deewana and played Priety's father.

The girl, Divya Bharti, Shah Rukh's first movie leading lady was in Deewana with him also. She was such a beautiful girl and did well in her role. It's sad to know that she died tragically when only 19 years old. (She fell from a 5 story apartment building.)

Of course my favorite thing in the movie is Shah Rukh. I finally got my own copy of the movie and I'm glad because he was really good. He displayed so many of the qualities I have grown to love in this, his very first movie performance- He was so self assured, intense, romantic, loyal, and he had great hand to hand combat skills. He was a perfect hero.

7. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I like watching this movie every once in a while....so interesting to see Shah Rukh's beginning. One thing I found interesting this time is at the end of the movie they show snaps of the stars as the credits role....guess who is missing! Little did they know the star that he would become.
    As far as the story, well many holes, but liked the fact that it was produced and directed by Hema Malini. The original "Dream Girl" of Bollywood. What a fascinating life she has had.
    But watching Shah Rukh is even more fascinating to me. I can see him learning and becoming what he is today a great actor. He started with a natural talent, took it and with hard work turned himself into one of the best actors I have ever watched on screen. And still he is redefining himself constantly. The man is amazing. Never know what to expect and am never disappointed.

rubyroo says thanks.
  8. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I noticed that too.

Debbie says thanks.
  9. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

The most interesting part of "Dil Aashna Hai" is the back story. Shah Rukh did his first film in Hindi movies shoot for "Dil Aashna Hai" at the Convent Villa in Versova June 26, 1991. His mother had died two months before on April 15, 1991, and to deal with the grief and the medical bills he had agreed to move to Mumbai and do three films. His wedding with Gauri was to be October 25, 1991, but they were constantly fighting by telephone. She felt abandoned and hated the idea of living in Mumbai, being part of the movie industry. She was madly jealous of his film heroines. Her parents so disapproved of the coming wedding, her mother attempted suicide. They married anyway. The day after their marriage, they arrived in Mumbai to stay at a hotel. Hema Malini (the director) called them there and asked that they come to the sets of DAH to be congratulated. When they arrived, Malini put SRK to work on a scene, and Gauri had to spend her wedding night in a makeup room in film city waiting until 2:00 AM when SRK finished his shoot. I often wonder what scene it was that he had to shoot instead of enjoying his wedding night with Gauri. All the turmoil in his life at the time creeps into his performance here and there in the movie. It’s something to watch for. (Back stories courtesy of Shah Rukh Can and King of Bollywood)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    Journey95, rubyroo and Debbie thank this.
  10. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Really boring movie, almost fell asleep a few times when I watched it. SRK deserved a bigger role and wasn't used that well here. I did like him with Divya Bharti, thought they were sweet together (only part I liked). The actual story wasn't interesting at all and I didnt really care who the mother was.

Not once was the movie engaging, only watched it so I have seen all of SRK's movies.

So glad Deewaana came first, his entrance in the second half of that movie is iconic & he really becomes the star. Much better role, he was rather meh here.

2/10

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016