1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon thoughts 2012!

Discussion in 'My Name Is Khan' started by MaryAnnK, Nov 29, 2012.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Well, I see that this one was not started yet, so here goes....

It is not the film for this week, but we had the opportunity to watch it last night and introduce a new fan! My neighbor watched with us last night and really liked it! Told him I will show him something that shows who he is "really is." He is in for something next!

mira_khan says thanks.
  2. Areams

Areams Photographer, Filmmaker, and SRK Fan

My Name is Khan just shows SRK can play any part. Playing an autistic person takes talent, and he nailed it.

Journey95, Mara, mira_khan and 3 others thanked this.
  3. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Contains spoilers.

MNIK is another flawed Hindi film that has many moments of greatness in it. I am troubled by some of the innaccurate things it says about my country. I am not going to dwell on them though because I would rather talk about the things I liked.

First the love story- This easily makes up for every thing else. So romantic, sweet, unusual, and surprisingly believable.

Shah Rukh- He played a disabled man with such sympathy and humor. I wouldn't change Rizvan for anything. Shah Rukh excells at creating a character that is so real he has a life of his own. I believe in Rizvan with all my heart.

Rizvan's interactions with everyone else in the movie. He had so many charming and/or interesting encounters with so many different kinds of people. Even his briefest scenes with the most minor characters helped to complete the portrait of this wonderful man.

Even handedness- I didn't like the negative portrayal of some groups that I saw because I think it was unfounded or exagerated rather than fact based. However I did appreciate that there were good and bad people portrayed in each group. The bad behavior of the Christian woman at the Feed Africa meeting was balanced out by the sweet gentleness of the Wilhemina church members. The evil of the Muslim terrorist leader was balanced by the simple goodness of Rizvan and his family. And so on. I got a sense of a fairness in showing the good and bad of different groups. It is a real strength of the movie, and is very faithful to the theme that there are only two kinds of people in the world.

The Wilhemina and flood scenes- These were quite fanciful and it's too bad they had a part in a movie that ought to have gained more worldwide respect for Hindi cinema. However seeing Shah Rukh run around dripping wet for such a good chunk of the movie made it worthwhile to me at least. This part did add interest and excitement I must admit.

Stuff that made me laugh: The Wilhemina cows had a suspiciously Hindustani cow look about them. I felt sorry for the wet chickens. The scene where the Wilhemina town folk said goodbye to Rizvan after the church meeting was comically reminiscent of the scene in The Wizard of Oz when the Munchkins said goodbye to Dorothy as she set off down the yellow brick road. Rizvan made some amazingly rapid bus journeys crisscrossing the USA which is a much bigger country than you would think from watching this movie. (These are typical Hindi movie and even Hollywood movie things that don't really bother me a bit.)

All in all though the story of Rizvan is a very interesting and compelling one and I am so glad that Shah Rukh got to add it's richness and dimension to his movie legacy. I do still like the first half much better than the second.

4. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I don't know how many times I have watched MNIK....many many times, SRK is wonderful in it...and it was based on such a good idea, that it is hard not to like it....but this time I felt somewhat less enthused. I felt Karan made the US look like it is pretty much mostly desert, seemed like Rizwan was going thru the desert in most of the movie....and as someone who has lived through a hurricane, the depiction of hurricane "Molly" was really bad....I so wish he had done his research on these things.
    But like you Ruby, the 1st half of the movie is wonderful, I just wish the last part had been done better, the message of this movie is so important and I understand what Karan was trying to say, but to be a real film maker of meaningful films....you need to do your research.
    On a side note, my blu-ray copy of this "Thucks" :D it actually has I think French dubbing in some scenes....I am going to watch again tonight on my regular DVD and see how it goes.....Shah Rukh is absolutely brilliant in this role.

MaryAnnK, mira_khan and rubyroo thank this.
  5. rubyroo

A lot if it is desert though... I loved the desert scenes. I enjoyed seeing our exotic Shah Rukh in such locations, maybe because I live in the west myself.

mira_khan and Debbie thank this.
  6. Rayhana

Rayhana Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned this in another thread recently but I agree alot with what you said Ruby about the second half of the movie.I absolutely love the first part of the movie with the love story and Rizwans background (This is what Karan is best at)but the inaccurate events and exaggerated situations in the movie and have caused me to not want to watch it to the end and I always stop after a certain point.I mean I feel it had certain prejudices that were played on although religion was shown to not be the cause of divide, race wasn't given such a importance. For a movie in America most of the white people were not so nice,why?Also the death of the boy was too simplified.He's muslim let's kill him! I mean for kids I think that's too much of a negative to portray. I dislike the idea of disliking a Shahrukh movie (if that makes sense). Because of this I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch it for the marathon but now I know I am not alone I will try to watch it ALL THE WAY THROUGH tomorrow night and will let you know how that goes.

7. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

And a lot is mountains, farms and cities....the hotel he went to in Bowling Green KY, a city I know very well, was, well it looked out of 50's movies, in fact all the stops looked like from the 50's...just not a true picture at all of the US, bad enough he made most Americans look like red neck hate spewing idiots, he could of at least showed the country correctly..just the way I felt this time while watching.....don't know why, but I really noticed these things when I watched it this time....even the people of Wilhemia were stereotyped.
    I'm sounding like I don't like this movie, but in fact I do....it just could of been so much better. And I feel it was just lack of research that messed it up and I guess that is what gets to me....

MaryAnnK, Rayhana and rubyroo thank this.
  8. Rayhana

Rayhana Well-Known Member

omg! i totally get you but i also feel so bad saying anything negative regarding the movie cos of Shah. I wish there was a way of portraying those feelings to Karan cos i really don't think these things will ever be pointed out to him as it would help him to rethink things like this next time.

p.si really need to go watch the movie without thinking of all these things so i can give it a fair chance.see ou all tomorrow night.

MaryAnnK, mira_khan and Debbie thank this.
  9. rubyroo

I see all the same problems in it that you both do. That is why I don't watch it that often. This time I almost skipped the second half but I wanted to do screen caps so I tried to detach myself from the less pleasing aspects and just revel in Shah Rukh's amazing performance. That worked well for me.
    I don't dislike the movie but I do feel disappointed at the lack of research and the carelessness. I really like Karan Johar- I think he is intelligent and very talented in a lot of ways and he should have been more careful. It was a missed opportunity to make a Hindi film with universal appeal.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  10. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

i watched the movies yesterday ... so surprised surprised to see it in the marathon today :)
    haa... My name is Khan, or THE movie that i can't watch too much because it breaks my poor heart as much as Devdas does, but in the bad way... i am too much emotive when children are concerned, so the little Sam, just kill me
    i love this movie so much, something i can't explain happens when i watch it, it s a heart to heart conversation for me
    Shah Rukh is just inbelievable! forget Rahul and Raj lovers, Rizwan is his best performance, the man can't express emotions, can't cry or be angry, but he makes us cry more than one time by this innocence, his pure heart and cute behavior... it was hard to see him like this, but slowly i felt in love with Rizwan and waited for the love story
    I loved his "Shah Rukh-Kajol" couple again, it's not a thypical love story, Mandira is divorced, Rizwan is not so young, she has a child, i thing that it helped a lot for her to accept Rizwan life... their nuptial night was just :D :p...
    things change after 11/09, every thing is going wrong for them... i'm ok with you about that it was too exagerated, but all what is shown are stories i read in newspapers or on the net before the movie came out, of course it's not representing of America, but what in reality is displayed on a so big country with few poeple is condensated in a movie and the result may shock and seems inbelievable.
    I understand what you views about the image too stereotipped that Karan shows here, but i saw it like his wish to show how America is seen all over the world not just in India or for muslims, but it's the image that soo many poeple have specially after 11/09... Mama Jenny was just laughtable, we're 100 ago and here is black americans in their farms with their caws singing in their church even for crying!
    Sorry, i am not telling that it's the real USA, it's just what american movies shows for the world, with indian fantesist touch, it become what he have there^^
    But america is not the only stereotype in the movie, i thing that the message is against all intolerant in the world, it shows that there is no perfect poeple, Rizwan's brother didn't accept Mandira because of the religion difference, his wife is more tolerate person and she was by his side in his marriage... for the bad guys in school, the teacher, there was Sarah her friend who never changed her mind on Mandira and Rizwan even after her husband dead, there was Mark too who loves his neighbours and pass his last time in the country with them as a family
    For poeple who brokes shops and ruined Mandira's business, there were so many poeple that Rizwan met on the road who didn't care for his religion... for the bad cop doing his job, there was the new Mandira boss who doesn't care about her last name
    For the sikh motel guy there was the young hindu student, for the christian black woman receiving dons for Africa, there was mama jenny who lost her son in the war
    all is done to prove one single thing, there is just 2 kinds of poeple, doing good things , they are good, doing bad things they are bad... just 2 categories, anything else has not any importance
    The center of the story is not really 11/9 but the Sam's dead... Rayhana you find it so simplified, i think that it was the purpose... i mean who prove that Sam is killed because he's muslim? first of all, he wasn't really muslim... Mandira didn't convert and the boy is educated in the 2 religions, changing his last name don't change his religion... then the killers... ok they were always annoying him because he's muslim but what happens on the stadium ground is just one of million school violence which make lot of victims all over the world!... just as simple as that for me... Mandira thinks that it's a racial crime because of what the inspector said but has no idea about what really happens and that's what makes the sense of the film for me... Rizwan is engaged in a long trip for a mission based just on an idea in her mind, his innoncence makes him believe in it, in the fact that it will make everything ok
    The last part about Rizwan returning to whillemina is ok too much, but come on... Forrest Gump wasn't least and he met a president to^^ (if Rizwan asked for his phone number, Forrest show him something more personal than his son's photo :p)... it's not so incredible that it seems... Karan took the Katrina story i think and all the issue about how government did nothing to save this poeple (once more, that's what the world have seen about it) and bring Rizwan to it, like million of poeple who helped poeple without waiting for official helps. That made the man famous! he added the elections to make Rizwan meet Obama who has a worldwide image of a tolerate man beeing himself from a minority^^
    Even the man who tried to kill him was something that happens for all good persons on earth: Ghandi, Rabin,... frustrated and ill persons from their own camp decide to kill them!
    I think that the movie tell a message which was important to tell to everyone of us, no one is perfect... just 2 kinds of poeple :)

MaryAnnK, Alenka and rubyroo thank this.
  11. rubyroo

Thank you, Mira. This has been a successful movie loved unreservedly by many and your comments help me understand why. I just looked at the wikipedia article and found that it received 3 Filmfare awards (Director, actor, and actress) and was either nominated for or won many other awards. It got mixed to positive reviews in the US and India.

What you wrote makes me want to watch it again while keeping your perspective in mind.

MaryAnnK and mira_khan thank this.
  12. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

mira, a wonderful review! I totally agree with you as a description of the film and the characters, and how to see people outside of the United States of America. I can say for sure that the part of other nations America is not the promised paradise, according to the Americans and not all see it as a role model.

Journey95, MaryAnnK and mira_khan thank this.
  13. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

No one is saying America is the promised paradise, it has good people and bad people just like all countries, ....but this comment is just rude and uncalled for.

Rayhana says thanks.
  14. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

I did not mean to offend anyone, but all claims to the film are reduced to the fact that people do not like the way America is displayed. But why did no one notice that in Hollywood all the rest of the world very often painted with black paint, and no one blames the stereotypes. I understand that in America, as elsewhere in the world there are good and bad people, but if other countries, it can be removed, why not about the United States?
    Karan was just trying to show that the world is diverse ....

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  15. rubyroo

I dislike seeing any country, person, religion, or ethnic group misrepresented in a movie or anywhere else. Generalizations whether negative or positive about anyone or anything are never correct. When Hollywood movies do these things it is not an excuse for Hindi movies to do the same.

Debbie and Rayhana thank this.
  16. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

Yes. This is wrong, but unfortunately, this is the harsh reality of our world. That is why we are all so fond of Indian cinema, it takes us back to childhood and fairy tale. A reality in fairy tales always embellished and distorted. Maybe everyone who is not like a movie try to look at it as a sad fairy tale, and then it will be easier to take inconsistencies film and reality.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  17. rubyroo

We are trying our best to do that with MNIK, because of Shah Rukh and because of how much we love him in this movie.

Rayhana says thanks.
  18. rubyroo

I love this sweet innocent face.
    1.JPG

Rayhana and Alenka thank this.
  19. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone, for your input here!! As I have been reading your comments, it brings back to my mind all of the questions that were whirling around in my mind when I first watched this film. I love Rizwan! I love his concrete view of the world: only good and bad people! His mother was so loving and caring as she tried to raise him with his disabilities! She understood him with her heart! The World on the other hand did not! Or, for that matter, neither did his brother! Good and Bad! Over-simplifying? Yes, but that is how he saw his world. We tend to place blame on Karan Johar as the director, but I think that his story telling was just that. A story!!! Mira, thank you for your input on how the world sees the United States. Yes, people tend to forget that movies are just that: someone telling a story. It is their perspective! They may have an agenda or not, but the constraints of money, time and film makes for limits to any project. A perfect film? NO! A perfect star? YES! A good story? Yes. A film with areas that we might have handled differently? But it is not ours! Did Karan show America as I see it? NO! But, like you said Mira, he did show America as I think it has been understood "over there" by how it has been portrayed in film and on TV and the news.

I must add that I love foreign films because they give me a view of the world that I would not otherwise experience. Can I believe everything that I see? No, but then again, I am seeing something through another person's eyes with their storytelling! I have also learned that I cannot be judgmental because of the values and traditions and expectations are so different in each and every country around the world. That does not make them bad but I have to reach inside myself to try and understand and appreciate them for what they are. This film really did open up a great discussion for our little Planet!

Journey95, Debbie, mira_khan and 2 others thanked this.
  20. rubyroo

Well said!

mira_khan says thanks.