1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughst!

Discussion in 'Chaahat' started by MaryAnnK, Apr 4, 2009.

1. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Nobody but nobody could portray innocent youth as effectively as Shah Rukh did in so many of his early movies.

MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  2. rubyroo

I had 2 copies of Chaahat. One had terrible picture and sound quality and abominable subtitles. You know the kind where the words are chopped up with random capitalized and left out letters. I had a second copy with better quality picture and sound but no subtitles. Finally today I got it from iTunes and watched it on our iPad. The picture looks really good in that format at least and the subtitles are good- even for the songs. So now I could properly enjoy it and I did very much. I even enjoyed the fight scenes in the end. Shah Rukh, Anupam Kher and Nazeerudin Shah were amazing. I think this has now become one of my favorites.

LOL I just read on Wikipedia that it was a huge failure at the box office and is said to be Mahash Bhatts's worst movie. I seem to always like Shah Rukh's biggest flops the best. Wikipedia also says that Shah Rukh acquired the copyright for it in Oct. 2013. Please give it to us in HD Shah Rukh!!!

MaryAnnK and Debbie thank this.
  3. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

It was a backlog film, which had been long in the making. No one expected it to do well. Even then it appeared dated i.e compared to films releasing in 1996 it appeared jaded and lacking in buzz. Almost like Dulha Mil Gaya in current times, which had been long delayed, released in 2008 and fizzled out. But, the music of the Chaahat was nice. One of Nadeem Shravan's best. Mahesh Bhatt was in decline as a director that time. He later directed Zakhm which got him critical appreciation and national award. I agree that this is nowhere near Mahesh Bhatt's personal best. I do like it because Shah Rukh is cute in it.

1996 had no 'actual Shah Rukh' films releasing, just a special appearance in Army. Strange that this no-wave year was right after DDLJ (which released on Diwali 1995), which pushed Shah Rukh into Super star zone with unforgetable Raj character (he was a top actor but not super star before DDLJ). I guess that some personal problem's like Shah Rukh's sister's health affected his film choices that year. The projects he signed after DDLJ, were the ones releasing in 1997 which all had the right kind of buzz... Yess Boss, Pardes, DTPH etc ...

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  4. rubyroo

He had 7 (!!!) movies released in 1995. Maybe he was tired after that...

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  5. yummy

yummy Fan girl since Fauji.

He had somewhere said that he signed many movies to buy Mannat. I came up with the personal issue because, I think Gauri had miscarried that year and his sister was seriously ill (during Tujhe Dekha tu song shoot) in Swiss...

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  6. rubyroo

I'm sure you are right- I doubt he ever gets tired really. I'm just amazed he did so much in such a short time.

7. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Another one of SRK's more brutal movies...he made a lot of those back then.

SRK was really good as Roop, innocent & nice for the first part and then becoming more & more filled with rage.
    After his dad died I think he snapped... the final fight was just crazy.

Anupam Kher was fantastic once more as his dad, the scene where he dies is just so sad! Naseeruddin Shah also delivered, really menacing villian & his sister in this movie was even crazier. Wish he died too but I suppose this way its worse.

Pooja Bhatt I think was the weakest link but still ok (zero chemistry with SRK though), the drama with her marrying again wasn't needed. Overall my problems are with the story, its not very engaging and too predictable from the beginning. Not to mention the over the top last hour.

6.5/10, not a movie one rewatches a lot considering its pretty much "Suffering with Roop" and that gets old. He isn't exactly a smart character either

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2016
    MaryAnnK says thanks.