1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Marathon Thoughst!

Discussion in 'Chaahat' started by MaryAnnK, Apr 4, 2009.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

What a sweet young Shah Rukh. This is a very likeable film. I will post more later.

2. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

This movie is insane! It's as if the writer sat down and thought - how much pain and suffering can I pile up on the main character? It reminds me of a Greek tragedy - the choice to either save the father or the wife...so basically, screwed up either way. I could do without all the gore and violence of the last half an hour or so - I'm all for a solid thrashing and buckets of fake blood pouring over the screen, but this prolonged masochism is more than I can stand.

Having said that - I really like the movie! The song Dilki Tanhai... is wonderful and young SRK is simply delicious. I can well understand the Crazy B.tch (uhm...sorry, what's her name? :rolleyes:) - which woman wouldn't want to own such a puppy? :p

Of all the early movies, I quite like this one and keep going back to it relatively often, at least to a couple of scenes: Dilki Tanhai song..., the scene where Roop goes back to Crazy B telling her he agrees to her conditions...., the scene where he curls up in the corner of the room, confessing to Pooja what he had done...

....and....sex on the piano, anyone? :madgrin: :p How I love those chaste and innocent old Hindi movies!!! :lol:

rubyroo says thanks.
  3. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

that bit was sad, choosing to save the father or rescue his wife :scared:

this movie is good but i dont like the crazy sister with an even crazier brother behind her

4. Chamz

Chamz Well-Known Member

I didn't like the movie at all.

5. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Chamz, sorry you did not like it. I think it is a cute film. One has to keep reminding oneself that this is Bollywood and films are larger than life. I go into watching these early films with an open mind and eyes on Shah Rukh. It makes it all worthwhile!

rubyroo says thanks.
  6. donshema

donshema SRK is my Family

Actually I loved the movie and Shah Rukh in it was so innocent, and naive. I liked the character and the songs. I am really crazy about that movie. I guess it's a matter of taste, you may hate a movie that I like it. So sorry for those who didn't like it, but I really find it one of SRK's best movies.

7. FilmiGirl

FilmiGirl Active Member

I enjoyed Chahaat more than I thought I would. The earlier films are hard for me because the production values are so much lower than the Yash Raj and Karan films he has made in the last 10 years which are so sumptuous and beautiful. Chahaat was good enough to overcome that though. He was very sweet and awkward. I love the scene when they are having a drink together for the first time and he's blowing bubbles with his straw.
    These movies disappoint me though when they take such a sweet character and do something so horrible like killing off his father the way they did. I think the violence that inevitably comes in the second act is unnecessary and usually incongurous with the first half of the film. So, I could have done without that.
    Overall, this will go into my good category (categories are: bad, Eh, good, great) :thumb:

rubyroo says thanks.
  8. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

I agree with you christy. I also liked the movie more than I thought I would.
    they indeed ruined it for me when they shifted to violence. too much drama for his sweet character.

9. Elahe

Elahe Dil To Shahrukhee hai!

shahrukh has such a yummy character in Chaahat, I really liked the movie and as you guys also mentioned Naseeruddin shah's sister is sooooo understandable, I would have gone as crazy as she went for shahrukh.
    Other than shahrukh being the deserving centre of the movie some of the songs were quite nice and I also believe that Pooja Bhatt was actually a very good actress

rubyroo and MaryAnnK thank this.
  10. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I finished watching Chaahat (which means Desire, and there sure was a boatload of that going on.) I came over to look at the movie marathon thread, and found this: the exact same thing I said when it was over..."This movie is insane!" I am watching the movies in order and I'm really wondering when we will be getting to a nice quiet calm nonviolent movie...Are there any? pleeez say yes. Mary Ann is right about keeping an open mind and eyes on SRK, but seriously I'm getting battle fatigue here.

Review: Contains spoilers.
    In this movie 2 different women fell in love with a handsome young man from Rajasthan named Roop Rathore. (played of course by Shah Rukh.) It was completely understandable that the two women, who both met him on the very same day, also both fell madly, absolutely madly in love with him. Although Roop was gorgeous looking and sang really well, he was also a bit slow on the uptake. I could see the gangster's sister falling in lust with him- she only cared for his yummy looks and beautiful singing voice. I was a teensy bit surprised the lovely young nurse from the hospital in Mumbai where his father was receiving treatment for cancer fell for him instantly as well. She did notice he wasn't all that bright but that didn't faze her a bit. Anyhow I felt a lot of sympathy for both women because he was quite irresistible. Of course one of them was evil and one was nice. Of course he fell instantly in love with the nice one and of course the evil one had power in the form of a rich, gangsterish brother (Naseerudin Shah) who couldn't bear to see any of his sister's desires thwarted.

After some suspense over whether Roop would actually be able to figure out how to propose to his true love Pooja, they became safely engaged to be married. Everyone was happy...for a little while. Then the other woman who had hired Roop to sing in one of her brother's hotels, began to make her moves on him...and she did have some moves let me tell you. Roop resisted her advances with more spirit than I expected. In fact as the movie progressed he exhibited more and more of the stuff men from Rajasthan are apparently made of and it's well nigh indestructible stuff too.

Anyway, it soon developed that Roop's dear and delightful dad (Anupam Kher) needed emergency surgery which gave the gangster brother enough leverage to compel Roop to sell himself body, voice, and soul to the evil sister.

Roop, turned out not to be the kind of guy to give up his innocence without a fight though and Evil sister and gangster brother ran into a great deal of trouble in their quest to have their way with him. Much violence and bloodshed ensued (as usual) and Roop had plenty of chances to prove his indestructibility. I was surprised at how much of the violence did not involve the use of weapons. These gangster type villains usually quickly resort to AK 47s and pistols but in this movie it was mostly bare knuckle battles. Well with all the usual SRK mixed martial arts moves thrown in of course. And nobody minded repeatedly kicking a man or woman when he or she was down either. It got a bit wearying...even though I should be used to it by now.

Things I liked: the imaginative song and dance scenes, one of which was filmed in a huge and amazing ruined castle type structure. The wonderful father and son relationship which was the heart of the movie. (Shah Rukh and Anupam Kher are so perfect together.) The fiendish but interesting wickedness of the evil sister and her gangster brother. (Good villains are important.) And most of all the lovable, sweet, simple, innocent, talented, passionate, and curiously indestructible Roop Rathore from Rajasthan.

Jasmine, MaryAnnK, Tash and 1 other person say thanks.
  11. Misty45

Misty45 Well-Known Member

rubyroo says thanks.
  12. rubyroo

the next 3 movies will be new ones for me: Koyla, Yes Boss, and Pardes. Then Dil To Pagal Hai, which I've seen a few times. That one is violence free I know.

Misty45 says thanks.
  13. Shanti Chand

Shanti Chand BANNED.

Chaahat finished yesterday.
    The first part is nice enough while the second and above all the last 30/35 min. are pure fantasy!!! Free violence, too much blood and impossible sequences.
    Shah Rukh performance was as wonderful as always though, but after a huge success as DDLJ it is obvious that a film like that was a flop.
    They tried to repeat the couple Anumpam Kher-SRK as father and son but the plot goes on a completely different track.

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  14. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I love much of this film. Roop's innocence is heartbreaking. After leaving a simple life he comes to the city, only after convincing his father that he must go to the hospital. Roop has never had any experience with the kind of people in the city, I don't feel he is not smart just very naive. His face is so expressive, I really believe he is that innocent boy.

Some of the scenes that I like are, the beginning of the movie, the dance scene with his dad and after at their home. When dad first talks about marrying off Roop and then says he will get married. Love it, love Anupam Kher.

When he meets Pooja in the restaurant, where he just can't say what he wants to her. Love how he keeps blowing bubbles in his red drink so cute. :p

The scene where he ask Pooja if he can just close his eyes and she will leave him. This scene when he turns his head to the wall has always affected me greatly. I feel every bit of Roop's pain here. This is actually one of my favorite scenes from all his movies. He is absolutely beautiful in it.

The marriage and song Nahin Jeena Yaar Bina finally there is happiness in the film, unfortunately it does not last.

The last part of the movie especially when Roop must choose between his father and his love is very violent. Have to agree the violence in this movie went way over the top. The ending scene when Roop is beat horribly by the brother is just too much, I actually have to close my eyes in this scene....

But this movie is amazing to me....for Shah Rukh to show so much innocence after playing a crazy and evil man in both Darr and Baazigar, shows what a versatile actor he is. I was totally taken by his innocence.

Rate this a must see for a SRK fan.

15. rubyroo

Another scene where he had one of his finest movie moments was when he stood up to Reshma and for the first time showed the unexpected spine of steel within this soft naive young man. I thought his portrayal of defiance, pride, courage, and disdain was outstanding.

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  16. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Agree, this young innocent man was changed by what was happening to him and his life. And surely was never the same again.

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.
  17. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Warning: A lot of spoilers (This review will take up three posts.)

Chaahat is a romantic film released the 6th of June 1996. It was directed by Mahesh Bhatt, who also directed Duplicate. The setting is Rajasthan and Mumbai. Shah Rukh Khan stars as Roop Rathore. Anupam Kher is his father, Shambunath Rathore. Pooja Bhatt is Pooja. Naseeruden Shah is Ajay Narang. And Ramya is Reshma Narang, Ajay’s sister. I noticed in the opening credits that Naseeruden Shah’s name was listed first, before Shah Rukh Khan’s name. I think Shah Rukh Khan’s name should have been listed first.

Roop and his widower father were musicians living in Rajasthan. His father developed a sickness and reluctantly sought medical treatment in Mumbai. Ajay Narang was a rich, powerful man who controlled the city of Mumbai. Ajay had a very close relationship with his sister, Reshma. He would beat up or kill anyone who mistreated her. Roop performed at Reshma’s birthday celebration. Reshma fell in “lust” with Roop. The same evening, after the performance, Roop met Pooja and fell in love with her. He asked her what her name was. She told him “life”. Pooja worked at a hospital and knew Roop’s father, but she did not discover the father/son relationship for quite a while. Roop’s father liked Pooja and arranged a marriage for her with Roop. When Roop found out about this, he was upset, because he loved the girl he knew as “life”, not realizing that “life” was Pooja. Later, he discoverd that Pooja was “life” and he was elated. Reshma persuaded her brother, Ajay, to give a musician job to Roop at their hotel. When Reshma noticed that female guests at the hotel were enamored with Roop, she decided she wanted Roop to perform privately and exclusively for her. When Reshma told Roop this, Roop quit his job there. Reshma wanted Roop back. She asked her brother for help. Ajay Narang made sure that no one in Mumbai would hire Roop. Roop’s father needed an expensive surgery in order to live. When no one in Mumbai would hire Roop, he was compelled to approach Reshma for a job. He became her private musician and was able to pay for his father’s surgery. When the father found out what sacrifice his son had made, he was very upset at his son. He would have rather died than have his son make such a sacrifice. When Roop told Pooja about his situation, he asked her to leave him alone to his sad destiny. In an effort to help Roop get over his love of Pooja, Pooja asked a good friend of hers to marry her. She believed that if she was married, that Roop would have an easier time getting over her. Of course, that didn’t happen. Roop paid Reshma all the money he borrowed from her. He left Reshma and married Pooja. Ajay Narang found his devastated sister attempting to commit suicide by slitting her wrists. He came after Roop, captured Pooja and set up a horrifying situation for Roop and his father. Roop’s father gave up his life so that Roop could have a chance to rescue Pooja. Roop confronted Ajay Narang, resulting in a climatic fight scene. In a bittersweet ending, Roop and Pooja were together and alive, but thinking of Roop’s recently departed father.

In the opening scene, my first impression was that the cinematography done for this film was not as high of quality as I have often seen in films. The cinematographer sometimes did not keep the camera steady and sometimes did not move it smoothly. There was almost a television show quality to the film, rather than a film quality. As I viewed some of the scenes, occasionally, I felt almost as if I was viewing a recording of a play. I am guessing that there may not have been enough money in the film budget to pay for the expertise of a highly experienced cinematographer and/or the use of high quality camera equipment. I looked up the cinematographer. His name is Ashok Behl. I read that there were five released films, including Chaahat, where he was the cinematographer.

I was impressed with Shah Rukh Khan’s acting in this film. His character, Roop, had within him a wide range of qualities which were revealed as he interacted with different people in the story. With Puja, his sweet innocence was pronounced. When he was with Reshma, you could see a different light in his eyes. It was as if he recognized her sensual beauty and understood the potential of a passionate relationship with her. When he was with his father, you could see what an incredibly good and loving relationship they had. And you see Roop’s face radiant with tremendous love for his father. When Roop was with Narang, Roop originally was just respectful and kept to a proper, professional distance. However, the relationship changed with Reshma’s obsessiveness of Roop. When Narang interfered in Roop’s life in order to manipulate Roop into returning to Reshma, Roop’s defiance of Narang was illuminated. And Roop’s courageous, brave, and heroic soul shone brightly.

Anupam Kher, as always, was fabulous. He is a very talented actor and is enjoyable to watch. He has played the role of Shah Rukh Khan’s father a few times in Shah Rukh Khan’s films, and I love seeing him in this type of role. “Perfect” is the best way I can describe Anupam Kher.

Naseeruden Shah is also wonderful to watch in films. He has confidence, strength, and power in his roles. He was excellent as he played the role of a devoted brother who would do anything for his sister. The level of devotion he had for his sister seemed extraordinary. One thing that I was especially impressed with was some of the physical stunts he did during the fight scene at the end of the film. His final moment by his sister’s side, when he was crying out in anguish was well done.

Pooja Bhatt did a fine job portraying the love interest of Roop as a lovely, intelligent, caring nurse with modest standards and dress. Ramya was beautiful and demonstrated her role very well as a spoiled, wealthy seductive woman with a twisted obsession for Roop.

The puppets at the beginning of the film reminded me of Paheli.

The opening song, Daddy Cool, had some lyrics and choreography which foreshadowed some events in the story. The song was about a dad who wanted to find a bride for his son. Roop, the son, sang; “I would rather hang myself than hang onto a bride” as he placed a rope around his neck. This moment in the song is significant to an event later in the film. At one point in the song, Roop depicts his leg getting hurt, which happens for real later in the film.

After the Daddy Cool song, Roop and his dad start talking about what it would be like if either of them had a wife. Then, they started listing the benefits of having a woman around. I found some of this amusing. Here are some of the perks of having a wife/mother around:

Roop’s dad said…women help by having children and continuing the lineage; she would serve him tea really early and prepare pan for him; she would massage his legs before bedtime; and he wanted a younger wife.

Roop said…if his dad got a wife, she could serve them and give him 4-5 brothers. And they could have a band/orchestra if he had siblings. They could call the band “Shambhu Singh Rathore and Sons”. Roop thought it would be wonderful because she could cook delicious food for him. And she could massage their heads and stitch their buttons. He also said that while he was having his bath, she could scrub his back.

rubyroo and Alenka thank this.
  18. Jasmine

Review continued: Part 2

At Reshma’s birthday party, when Roop was singing, he held one hand up to his ear. I saw that someone here on planetsrk had asked a question about that. I have sung in choirs and ensembles throughout my life. Sometimes, when we practice, briefly, we cup our hand around our ears to check if we are on pitch. We never do that during a performance, though. My guess is that Roop had his hand up to his ear to check his pitch.

I thought it was interesting that Roop got upset with his friend because his friend didn’t care about his own dad. Roop thought that his friend’s indifference to his father was a bad enough quality to break off the friendship. Roop said; “One who won’t care for his father, how can he care for his friend.” In my country, I see kids who are not close to their parents. And I see siblings who are not close to each other. I think it is really sad. Loyalty to parents and family is such a wonderful quality.

After Roop met Pooja by the painted Hindu god on the street, he bumped into a tree while he was walking. Pooja asked if it hurt. Roop said he never feels pain. I thought that it was interesting that from the very beginning of the film, he had the attitude of not feeling hurt physically by things. In the song Roop sang at Reshma’s birthday celebration, the lyrics mentioned that singing helps pain go away. Music is a wonderful healing balm to the soul. Later in the film, as Roop sat by his father’s funeral pyre, he played some music on his instruments. And I am sure that the music helped him a little with his pain. In the funeral scene of Roop’s dad, I thought it was interesting that Roop actually used part of one of his musical instruments as a splint for his injured arm. I looked up Indian musical instruments to see what kind of instrument he had there. The closest thing I could find was something called a Dilruba. It looks a little like a very thin version of a violin.

I liked it that Pooja told Roop that her name was “life” and that Roop referred to her as his “life” so much. That really is how it is when you love someone so much. They become your “life”. I liked the scene when Roop, riding on top of a rickshaw, chased Pooja, who was on the bus. I loved seeing Roop’s enthusiasm as he told Pooja all about his new job. He was so completely adorable there!

Roop was a simple, but good man. He was innocent, with nothing artificial about him. Roop would, of course, act a little awkwardly with girls. He was a proper boy who had been raised well and would not have had much experience talking with girls. Until they became engaged, Roop had difficulty clarifying his thoughts to Pooja. I saw that as sweet and adorable. I also thought it was cute how it took so long for Roop to learn Pooja’s real name. Even when he asked her to marry him, he said; "Zindagi (life) will you marry me?” I liked how Pooja didn’t reveal to Roop that she was the girl at the hospital that Roop’s father had arranged for him to marry. Instead, she let him discover it out later. I guess it made Roop suffer a while. But, it made the surprise when he found out that his “life” was Pooja all the more exciting.

I like the scene at the temple when Roop and Pooja go there to pray after their engagement. Roop is so happy. He moved over, close to Pooja. But, since she was a proper girl, she stepped away from him. Roop leaned over with his lips puckered up for a kiss. Pooja ducked and Roop ended up kissing the air. It was nice that Pooja kissed Roop on the cheek before leaving. And it was cute how Roop fainted after that.

The dream sequence song that follows this scene is interesting and has a lot of really nice moments in it. It seems to be a combination of real events and fantasies of the different characters. It helps to fill in story events quickly without going through the drama of each moment. Pooja’s part in this song is very sweet. Reshma’s scene on the piano with Roop is very evocative. I can relate to something that Reshma said. And I think a lot of Shah Rukh Khan Fans probably can relate to this, too. About Roop, Reshma said; “If I don’t see you; hear you, I will go mad.” Shah Rukh Khan does have that effect on women. We want to see him and hear him. Now that he is in my heart, I would feel a big void if I could not see or hear him every day.

I liked the scene when Roop was at the train station trying to earn money with his music. And the people ignored him. You see his tears and how hard he was trying. How many of us can relate to that? I sure can! Haven’t we all tried hard at something, against great odds, sometimes to the point of tears? Shah Rukh Khan plays the character of Roop so well here. It is so touching when he sees the little puppy sitting on the ground close to a pillar. I loved seeing him holding the cute little puppy.

I loved the scene after Roops dad got out of surgery. The love Roop had for his dad is so strong. The affectionate way that Shah Rukh Khan’s character conveys love to the actor Anpum Kher’s character seems very real. It almost makes you believe that Shah Rukh Khan loved Anpum Kher as a father figure in real life.

After the surgery, Roop showed Pooja the room he had to stay in and let her know how he sold himself in order to pay for the surgery for his dad. It was really hard to see Roop in so much anguish. Pooja was supportive and left as he asked her. I don’t think I would have had the strength to leave Roop.

The film transitions into quite a bit of violence shortly after this part. The first time I saw the most horrific scene, I was sick. This second time through the film, though, I knew it was coming. My mind was resigned to the unfortunate event which was about to occur. And I focused on other details which were going on.

With his father’s life precariously hanging above him, what defense did Roop have at this point? What could he do to get at Narang? Roop then began his long, courageous effort to let Narang know that he did not feel a thing when Narang tried to hurt him. I thought his words to Narang as he stood there with his father on his shoulders were very powerful. He said; “Hit me…come on hit me Narang! Why did you stop? I am the son of the sands of Rajasthan. And no matter how hard you hit the sand; how much you trample it…it makes no difference. It doesn’t feel a thing. Hit me Narang!” The part when he said; “I am the son of the sands of Rajasthan” especially stood out to me. I love that metaphor. I think everyone across the world feels their roots deeply in the place and way they were raised. In history, many times, wicked people have tried to hurt innocent people physically. But, you never can take away who a person is inside. These words have so much feeling and power to them.

Narang then revealed to Roop the choice he is going to have to make: “Now I will see if you will stay put to save this old man or will follow us with a desire to save your beloved’s life.”

Roop’s dad was very concerned about his daughter-in-law. He was also concerned about himself. I thought it was interesting that even though they were in that terrible situation, the father and son still joked around with each other a little bit. Roop said to his dad; “actually, you have gained some weight eating hospital food.” As the dad was standing there thinking, he said a line from the film’s opening song, Daddy Cool. He said; “Cool Cool Bloody Fool”. Memories of that song came back and images of what had been their musical entertainment were now turned to reality.

Roop had given up his freedom in order to pay for a life-saving surgery for his dad. Roop’s dad didn’t have any say in that decision and didn’t like it that Roop had “given up his life”. Now, the tables were turned. Roop’s dad could help Roop get his “life” (Pooja). And without letting Roop have any say in the decision, Roop’s dad sacrificed his own life so that Pooja could be saved. Shah Rukh Khan does so well in this scene. I think the fact that he lost his father in real life makes his acting here even more powerful.

rubyroo and Alenka thank this.
  19. Jasmine

Review continued: Part 3

The physical feats in final confrontation fight scene were impressive. Having Roop’s first and final encounters with Narang at one of Narang’s parties made a nice finish to the film. It gave a feeling of coming full circle. There was also the contrast of the fight at the party in the beginning of the film between Narang and one of his business partners and the fight with Roop at the end. The business partner left with his tail between his legs, whereas Roop was a heroic champion.

I did not like seeing Reshma beat up Pooja. Besides the fact that it was cruel, it also was very unfeminine. It just didn’t look good. Girls can look good fighting, though. When Roma fights in the Don films, she looks good. And she still is very feminine. When Reshma was kicking Pooja, it was very unbecoming.

Another thing about Reshma…I thought her behavior during the fight scene was odd for someone who supposedly loved Roop. She didn’t try and stop her brother from beating on Roop. I would have screamed at my brother to stop hurting the man that I loved. Reshma just stood by watching it all. Her eyes were wide. But, she did nothing to help Roop. It was clear that what she felt in her heart was not genuine love. I don’t think she was capable of that.

I think the world is hungry for true heroes. I know I am. And I absolutely love every moment that I see Shah Rukh Khan in heroic scenes. In this final fight scene, I admire so much seeing Roop’s strength, determination, endurance, persistence, agility, and invincibility. The moment I saw Roop’s arm with the make-shift splint reaching over the wall as he climbed to the deck of Narang’s party, I felt tense with anticipation of how he was going to take Narang down.

I loved seeing how, after knocking down the guy on the upper deck, Roop held onto his injured leg and jumped down using his good leg. As Narang kicked Roop, Shah Rukh Khan did some awesome full-body twirls horizontally in the air before landing. I wondered at the lack of heroes in the audience at the party. How could all the guests look on as the host beat up a guy who already looked half-dead?

I saw courage in Roop as he laughed at Narang while Narang kicked Roop. And Roop said things to Narang like; “Hey Narang, is that all you’ve got?” “Tired or what?” “Look, I don’t feel a thing” “Come on, hit me more.” My mind flashed to Rocky and Mr. T, when Rocky took a hard beating, wearing out Mr. T’s strength. It was happening here, too. Roop was down on the ground. It didn’t look like he was going to get up. Narang took off his black bow tie, wiped some of the sweat off his face. His back was to Roop. Then you hear Shah Rukh Khan’s husky voice; “Hey Narang.” Narang turned around as Roop rose up from the ground. Roop said; “It does not hurt.” “Is that all? Tired? Look! Look! It doesn’t hurt at all.

During the fight, I thought one of the coolest moves was when Roop wrapped his arm around Narang’s neck. He ran with him, holding him by the neck. Then, Roop pulled Narang down as Roop layed onto his back on the floor, putting both his feet up onto Narang’s torso and kicking Narang over his head, propelling him across the deck and into a glass window. Narang fell through the window, landing on the floor up against a wall. The physical acrobatics of this move are incredible. This is a moment worth watching in slow motion.

After that, Roop picked up Narang by the back of his shirt. He threw Narang down onto a table. Then, Narang fell backwards doing a flip, landing face down on some steps. (It surprised me to see Naseeruden Shah do a move like this.) Roop kicked Narang in the face and Narang did another full body flip. Roop kicked Narang again using his bad leg. Then, Roop took a wine bottle, and broke it over his injured arm. And he said; “See, it doesn’t hurt at all.” Then, he took the broken bottle, held it up to Narang’s throat and said; “Tell me where my Pooja is or I will slit your throat.”

Reshma had gotten Pooja and had her on a roof. Reshma said to the fighting men; “Stop, or I will throw her down.”(Who did Reshma want to see win this fight? I wonder about that. I’m not going to try and think too much about Reshma’s perspective here.) Pooja told Roop not to worry about her. Pooja said; "Don’t spare the man who killed our father." Pooja said; “Kill him Roop! Kill him!” Then, Puja said to Reshma; “Throw me down! I’m ready to die!

Grabbing Narang by his shirt and pulling him up from the ground, Roop said to Narang’s sister: “You asked me what difference is there between you and my Pooja.” “This is the difference. She can even give her life for me. She can die for me. This is the difference. She can die for me. This is the difference between you and my Puja. You say that you love me.” (Reshma said; “Yes”.) Roop said; “You can do anything for me!” (Reshma said; “Yes, of course.”) Roop said; “Then come and die with me.” (Reshma said; No..no!) Roop said; “Come on! Come, come die with me!” (Narang was getting closer to them). Narang shot his gun. He missed his target and accidentally shot his own sister.

Narang hit his sister in the abdomen. I don’t think a shot to the abdomen would have been fatal. So, I don’t think the shot itself caused her to die. Reshma fell from the roof area down to a deck below. I think the impact of that fall combined with the shot wound caused her to die. Reshma looked at Narang and said: “We lost. Their love won”. Narang was very upset. Roop and Puja come close to where Narang was kneeling by his sister. The gun was on the ground in front of her. Roop crawled around to face Narang on the floor. “It hurts, doesn’t it?” Roop said. “Hurts bad when you lose someone of your own, doesn’t it?” “I too was hurt bad when you killed my father.” Roop then grabbed the gun that was lying on the floor between them. He held it up to Narang’s head and said; “I really feel like emptying the bullets into your head. But my father used to say: Never kill him who is already a dead man.” Then, Roop emptied the gun by shooting bullets off to the side on the floor. Now, Narang was really suffering. His voice was anguished. He held his hands over his face and dropped his face to the floor crying.

The final scene…It was night. Pooja and Roop were holding each other tightly as they walked towards the cement area in the street which had a picture of a Hindu god. They knelt down next to the picture. Roop bowed his head to the ground. Then he said: “Oh Lord, tell my dad now that I have saved his daughter-in-law.” Then Roop looked up to the sky and said; “Daddy cool, look, I have saved your daughter-in-law.

I have found that if I like one of Shah Rukh Khan’s films the first time I see it, I usually like it more and more each time I see it after that. And If I have some reservation about a film (for being too violent), on a second viewing of it, I find a lot of things I appreciate about the film. And I usually like it quite a bit more. The horrific violent scene with the father and son after Pooja and Roop got married is really unspeakable to me. It hurts my heart to think about. Even though I like this film better after a second viewing, because of that violent scene, I have reservations about recommending this film to people I know other than Shah Rukh Khan Fans. I did like the fight scene at the end of the film, but I looked at it more like a sporting event. I enjoyed every moment of seeing Shah Rukh Khan.

20. rubyroo

He "almost" ravished her. That's a lot like "almost" kissing, something we have seen a lot of in SRK movies...

MaryAnnK says thanks.