MNIK released on dvd in Finland

Discussion in 'My Name Is Khan' started by Pompula, May 28, 2011.

1. Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    Katja
    MNIK is the first SRK film ever to be released on DVD in Finland. It came out couple of weeks ago (4th of May). Unfortunately there was zero publicity to its release, so I'm quite doubtful it would become a big hit.

The version that was released is shorter than the original, I think it is the same as there was another version made in for the USA. It is 2 hours and 9 minutes long. I just finished watching it and there was the whole Wilhemina section missing (both of them) except a mention that he went there to help the town because of the hurricane, but there wasn't really said why he went there, he just saw it on TV and went. Also the scene where he was helping there was cut, they were just showing how his actions were being publicised. Also the ending was different, when he finally gets to meet the president, that was not shown. There was the security guy who told him that the president want's to meet you and then the screen went black, we heard Rizvan's voice saying "Mr. president, my name is Khan and I am not a terrorist" and then the end credits started rolling. As the whole Wilhemina part was missing there was also not the scene when they sang Hum Honge Kamyab at the church, I found it a pity as I really like that scene. Also the ending was somehow not as hopefull as in the original, as we didn't see the meeting with the president, which I find quite touching in the original. Also there were other bits and pieces missing from here and there...

Actually, all though there was no publicity made for the film, it did get reviewed by the national broadcasting company on the morning tv (I heard this from my brother's gf, but didn't see it myself) and also there is a review on their website. I will try to translate it later (because as usual, google translator was of no help...). Well, this is still good news, I hope it finds some audience, but usually those films that are only released on DVD and not in theater never get publicity and never make it very popular. Still, hopefully this beautiful film will find some new audience for SRK as he really deserves it.

(I have scanned the Finnish DVD cover and wanted to share it here, but I still don't know how to upload images and was not able to do it although I tried, so I'll just give the link...):

Front
    Back

Unfortunately, even the company that published the DVD here in Finland doesn't seem too interested in it, as there is a typo on the front cover of the DVD... :rolleyes: And I don't like the fact that on top it says "Bollywood's answer to Rain Man"...

Still, I'm happy that it was at least released here in Finland, as I said, first SRK film ever... :)
    MaryAnnK, Number8, relaxxx and 2 others thanked this.
  2. Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. mumbiene Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    Marlies
    Great news,
    I`m very happy for you that MNIK released in our country, too.

Pompula says thanks.
  4. Ella Haan farishtey hote hain ♥

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    Ela
    It really sounds like the international version Katja. Its the same version they've shown here in Germany's cinemas :) But i have to admit, it isn't that bad made. Of course its different and a little bit strange when you know the original, but at least a more then two hours great movie, right ;) :D
    Pompula says thanks.
  5. Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    Katja
    MNIK.jpg MNIK 001.jpg

I finally was able to do upload the pics (Thanks Ela!) :)
    danshula, mumbiene and Ishq19 thank this.
  6. Ella Haan farishtey hote hain ♥

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    Ela
    i see, you got the upload ;)

yeh, you are right, its sad they mentioned "Bollywoods answer on Rain Main" :tsk: :(
    but however .. its great, it released on DVD in Finland :D
    Pompula says thanks.
  7. danshula Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    A
    Thank You so much for sharing Katja! :)
    Yeah, its the International Version of MNIK which is in the DVD made for USA.
    I didnt like the fact that its said "Bollywood's answer to Rain Man" :(
    But I was thinking that its better than nothing, this film has global with going to different places. As they say, to achieve something positive, there has to be something negative too" (sorry, i translated this from a hindi saying, tried to translate it in english :))
    But I am happy for you that DVD released in your country! :)
    Better than nothing + its first, so Great! :)
    Pompula says thanks.
  8. rollercoast Zindagi

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Now you have to go out and buy dozens of copies to encourage them to do it with other movies Katja! :D

I would really like to see this version, just to compare it with the original.
    Pompula says thanks.
  9. Ella Haan farishtey hote hain ♥

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    Ela
    easy .. get a copy from amazon ;):p
    :lol:

serious .. i watched both versions many times and i like both versions, in the different ways they are made, it has nothing to do with any sentimal drama behaviour like: how could they cut just a second out of him from the movie, its really good edited :)
  10. rollercoast Zindagi

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    How can you tell its the international version Ela? They just list the movie (and I need it for region 4 or region-free).
  11. Ella Haan farishtey hote hain ♥

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    Ela
    As far i know there are three different versions of MNIK Chris. The original indian, the international and the german extended directors cut version (only on DVD in Germany) and i have all three versions on DVD, watched the original indian and the international in cinema here. So if you look at the version, it should be shown on the cover of the DVD. But just give me the link on my page, maybe i can help :)
  12. Number8 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    The original is 165 min long, the international version 128 min, just look at the lengh of the film and you will know if it's the international version or not. =)
  13. sonataca SRK's Mommy

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    Rumana
    Is this a new record on creating different versions of a film?? I really hope they didn't play around much with the Taiwanese version which released this week! I hope it's a hit there too!
  14. Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Name:
    Katja
    Ok, as I said, the film was reviewed by the national broadcasting company. It got three stars out of five. I'm translating the review here. As far as I can tell, until now, it is the only review that has been made... Any mistakes or negative seeming comments are by the reviewer, I'm just translating it.... ;) BTW, if there are still people who haven't seen the film, there are some spoilers here, so I wouldn't recommend to read it in that case. (And sorry if the language is little strange, I always have difficulties with direct translations from Finnish to English, the languages are too different..)

An Indian muslim man suffering from mild form of autism, Rizvan Khan, lives together with his wife and her young son in San Francisco. The couple's life changes radically on the 11th of Sep. 2001. After the terrorist attack by islamic terrorists the attitide of Americans towards muslims changes to hostility filled by prejudice. Rizvan's wife's young son also has to experience this as he becomes a victim of mindless violence and dies. This breaks up the relationship of the couple and the wife tells Rizvan that he better not come back home until he has convinced the president himself that despite his faith, he is not a terrorist. So to save his marriage, Rizvan starts a journey to meet the president of the Untied States.

Indian films are stories of love filled with overwhelming emotions, spectacles with massive song- and dance- sequences. This film, which was shown at the Berlin film festival last year, but is only released on DVD here, goes completely against that preconception. It doesn't include a single song-dance number and even though it is a film about love, it is actually a pleade for humanity and tolerance.

The film is divided in two parts. In the first part the viewer is told almost everything about the characters backgrounds and their relationships. On the second half the characters meet great obstacles that they need to resolve before the end.

The two hours DVD-version of the film is about half an hour shorter than the original theater release. Even in this shorter form, My Name Is Khan which has taken inspiration from Rain Man and Forrest Gump, becomes overwhelming like Indian films tend to, both in it's theme as well as the execution. Despite being overwhelmingly over the top and over emotional (making you cry), My Name Is Khan is an interesting acquaintance, not only because it's theme is not so commonly seen in films but also as a view to a Bollywood film which is different from the usual.

So that was the review.. The funny thing about it is, how it keeps saying how different it is from the "typical BW films" but I doubt those who made the review would have seen too many BW films, it's just the old prejudice that everyone has, despite wether they have seen the film or not..

Here is the link to the review (in Finnish):
    http://yle.fi/uutiset/ohjelmat/aamu...an_on_mielenkiintoinen_tuttavuus_2588817.html
    Number8, danshula and Ishq19 thank this.