1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Main hoon kaun?

Discussion in 'Don Media Reviews' started by akoori, Nov 3, 2006.

1. akoori

akoori Well-Known Member

has this been posted earlier?: :confused:
    Am copy pasting it here....seems to be an interesting POV, looking at both sides, for and against the movie.

Infact, one of the details in the article, about the painting is really :eek: i honestly did not notice at all....did anyone else???

Well here goes:
    This is from Mid-day, Oct 25, 2006, Mumbai.
    So the much awaited remake of Don, starring Shah Rukh Khan, was finally released to a whole gamut of mixed reactions. A number of people point blank did not like the film, as they could not get over the old Don hangover.

Then there were a number of others who did not really remember the old Don, but found the new one stylish and entertaining. Then, of course, there were the middle-pathers, who felt Farhan Akhtar’s Don was definitely a slicker version, but what it lacked greatly was the story. In other words, the story of Vijay and Don did not come through clearly in this version.

Of course die-hard Bachchan fans felt Shah Rukh couldn’t better the former and die-hard Khan fans felt otherwise. Yet a whole lot of others agreed that Akhtar’s Don would have been one up on the older version had Shah Rukh Khan not been Shah Rukh Khan.

Khair. Each to his own. As for me, two things which really stood out were the two old song ‘n’ dance items — Khaike and Yeh Mera Dil. Shah Rukh didn’t let Bachchan down, nor did Udit Narayan let the late Kishore Kumar down. It was refreshing to see the all-time favourite anew. As for Yeh Mera Dil, the less said the better.

And, no we don’t have Kareena Kapoor to blame. The fault is with Farah Khan’s pathetic choreography, which made a slim ‘n’ pretty Kareena look manly with thunder thighs. Farah should have been doubly cautious, especially when she knew she had a whole generation of die-hard Helen fans to contend with. As for Sunidhi, she should just stick to her own stuff and stop imitating legends.

A friend of mine, who watched the film in London, made this extremely interesting observation which most of us may have overlooked in the film.
    Shozeb Haider, who is a doctor by profession and a passionate movie-buff, told me that during a scene when the Don goes to his safe to keep the diskette, which holds all the contact details of his clients and bank accounts, on one of the walls hangs a painting.

According to Shozeb, “It is no ordinary painting. It is the iconic Edward Munch painting, The Scream, which was stolen in August 2004 from the Munch Museum in Norway and is estimated at $19 million (Rs 85 crore).”

This touch adds an interesting side to the Don’s personality. Apart from dealing in the regular diamonds and drugs, did Don also deal in stolen art? Or was he an art connoisseur? Then did he commission the theft for his personal taste, or professional dealings?

Whatever it was, with this addition, Farhan Akhtar has given a savvy and classy touch to his Don. The flip side of the story is that The Scream was found in August 2006 this year, exactly two years after its disappearance. Had Akhtar’s Don released a few months earlier, then perhaps a new file would have had to be opened by Interpol to check out Don’s art collection, quite literally.

2. Poonam

Poonam New Member

3. Pakiza

Pakiza New Member

:scared: i didnt notice that...was busy with don as usual:D

4. Adaneth

Adaneth New Member

wow, that is interresting. I havent seen the Film yet but when i can watch the movie i will definitly look at this detail.

5. Poonam

Poonam New Member

The figure in the painting has a look of sheer terror on his face...it suggests that he is looking at Death. Quite an appropriate painting to be hanging on 'Don's safe....like a warning to others. Obviously, Don has a taste for art too! Wonder who selected that detail...Farhan or the sets designer.

6. filmifan

filmifan bhangraholic nattu

yes, i caught The Scream being in the vault. my hubby and i got a good chuckle out of that.

The Scream is one of my favorite paintings; i have a print hanging in my house. but there's actually more than one version of it, two of which have been stolen at various points. too bad none were missing at the point that Don opened.

7. srk_mai

srk_mai New Member

I have never focused on that..
    I will watch the movie again for this ...