1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Karan Johar : Interview

Discussion in 'My Name Is Khan' started by lara, Jan 21, 2009.

1. lara

lara Jodi No.1

Interview : Karan Johar
    [​IMG]

He is known for playing his cards, or shall we say, brewing his coffee well ...always-be it as a producer, director, host or cameo actor. And of course he has his own set of humour that adds a flavour to every thing he does. Karan Johar gets candid with our correspondent.

Is it true that you have become a 'dietician' to Kajol and Kareena?
    Oh my God! I expected you to start with DOSTANA and you shot the other way...(laughs). It's all right. See, I have not become a 'dietician' to Kajol and Kareena in a true sense, but I have given them some suggestions to abide by if they are interested in working in my next films. I have asked Kajol to lose some flab for MY NAME IS KHAN. And I told Kareena not to lose weight for an unnamed Dharma Productions film to be directed by a friend Rensil D'Silva.

I understand Kajol's weight loss, but Kareena's size zero is quite 'in' now...
    That's a myth and may be a momentary craze. But the truth is Indian audience always prefers a healthy (not fat) heroine...this size zero concept is not for Hindi film heroines, at least that's what I feel.

You will be directing again after quite some time. Tell us more about MY NAME IS KHAN?
    MY NAME IS KHAN is a film based on the psyche of a Muslim man whose name comes up in the suspect list of terrorists post 9/11. Yes, as usual, this film has Shah Rukh as the hero and Kajol as the heroine. And I will be directing a film after quite some time. The trio will be back to sizzle the screen after KABHI KHUSHI KABHIE GHAM. So you may as well call it my comeback as a director.

We heard it took you long to persuade Kajol to sign the film. True?
    Kajol is always like that...she knows she can never say 'No' to me...still she tries in vain. But the point is, I am very happy that she has finally agreed to do the film because only she can play her character in the film.

Why is Shah Rukh an indispensable part of almost every Dharma Productions film? Is it because he sells?
    Shah Rukh is definitely one of the biggest stars in Bollywood and his screen presence does make a difference. But the reason why he is in almost all our films is something different. My father (Yash Johar) was very fond of Shah Rukh, in fact he considered him to be family, which of course, SRK is. And when I decided to make films, he said: 'Beta, if possible, try to involve Shah Rukh in all Dharma Productions projects.' Besides, Shah Rukh has been a friend, philosopher and guide...it's an old association and old habits die hard.

And, what about actors like Rani Mukherjee, Priety Zinta and Kajol who do cameo in all your films, if not playing the lead in them?
    My weakness and strength are my friends and I can't do without them. But it's not possible to involve all of them in every film. So I try to make sure that they play at least a small, if not a full-fledged role in my films.

Of late you have become costume designer for Shah Rukh in most of his films including OM SHANTI OM. Is it your new avtaar?
    Arre, nehi yaar. I won't like to style anyone except Shah Rukh and I am sure he won't hire me, especially in times of recession. Jokes apart, I enjoy shopping...be it for Farah's (Khan) triplets or Farah herself or Shah Rukh. Whenever I come across something classy, it's SRK who flashes in my mind and I start thinking for which film or scene this dress will suit him.

You have already put your fingers in many pies. How do you manage that?
    I don't think I am no longer a trendsetter, especially with Farhan (Akhtar) around. (Laughs aloud) I always did what I wanted to do at a given point of time or what a particular time wanted me to do. But of course, the producer-director part is family business and passion. Besides, that I enjoy chatting with friends for hours and that led to the chat-show. All my friends are from the film fraternity, so hosting awards functions are like interacting and leg-pulling friends.

Just now you mentioned Farhan Akhtar. So any plans to play a rockstar on screen?
    You will run for your life if I open my mouth to sing.

- Sreya Basu, TWF, Bollywood Trade News Network

Source:http://www.glamsham.com/movies/interviews/21-interview-karan-johar-010916.asp

2. karim2

karim2 Active Member

Re: Karan Johar interview about MNIK Jan. 21

so maybe there is another movie he's making for Shah Rukh?!!! I hope so.

3. karim2

karim2 Active Member

so.... are they in My name is Khan??? :eek:

4. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

:pound: omg he kills me :love:
    and really great news abt Kajol really losing weight and ah i just loved the interview :D

5. srkaj0l1

srkaj0l1 [L] KabirKhan..

i am sure about this.

6. Rund

Rund Active Member

LOL, he's so funny :p
    karim, you can ask karan on his blog about his movies with srk.

7. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

OMG i got a good laugh out of that! lol i love karan!!

their is an animated film koochi koochie hota hai that srk, kajol rani will be a part of so thats something to look forward to

8. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

i love this man!! :D

but something bothers me, why did he say SR is defnitly ONE OF THE BIGGEST stars?! :suspicious: A while back Kjo wouldve said that SR IS THE BIGGEST! :confused:

9. RizwanaShahrukh

NAH i think this one has saif or vivek! :confused2:

10. rahulsn011

rahulsn011 Well-Known Member

Because before SRK was the biggest now a few have joined the race. Karan and SRK live in reality...they know that Aamir can produce hits and now an all-time blockbuster and before CC2C..Akki was in the bracket of the biggest stars! Hrithik is still a big star! Saif has a chance of being a big star!
    Just remember it is the Indian Film Industry that they work in not the Shah Rukh Khan Film Industry!

11. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

I noticed this too. :(

IMO it seems the last 8 months or so Kjo's public comments about SRK are nowhere near as often or as nice as they used to be.

12. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

I don't think its something to worry about that he say SRK is one of the biggest star
    he know that SRK is the BIGGEST star in the world but if he say that then you know the media people...or...I don't know
    But I do have to agree that Karan has been a little...what the word..off...its like we know how much he respect SRK and is on great terms with SRK, he count him as family etc but...but...even when whatever had happen at katrina b-day and I read his interviews I was like what the hell.....say something that would make it seem like you are one million, billion, trillion percent on SRK side and agree that it was all that mad man fault and not SRk but he just did not say anything much.......can't blame him though
    Karan is an awesome person and I love him
    can't wait to see MNIK
    thanks for the post Laurenzia

13. GemaSRK

GemaSRK Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing :thumb:

14. avggomez

avggomez New Member

i luve reading Karu's interveiws. thanx for posting Lara...

Luv Karan for saying only Kajol can do that role and also that "MNIK is his comeback as a director"....

The Trio is gona rule no matter what...

Kudos to Karan, SRK and Kajol.... the best team BW ever had and ever will have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Yes, Karan never said anything pro SRK or even neutral to SRK about the "fight". The next interview Karan gave after that time this summer he said he'd hire Salman Khan for a film and had no problem working with him. He said nothing about SRK in that interview. The only one who made multiple pro SRK statements this summer after the so called "fight" was Arjun Rampal.

16. Hasret

Hasret Ullu-Club-Member

this size zero concept is not for Hindi film heroines, at least that's what I feel.

I sooo agree with you Karruuuu

My father (Yash Johar) was very fond of Shah Rukh, in fact he considered him to be family, which of course, SRK is. And when I decided to make films, he said: 'Beta, if possible, try to involve Shah Rukh in all Dharma Productions projects.'

awww thats so sweeettt :heart:.. may his soul rest in peace :( :amen:

Just now you mentioned Farhan Akhtar. So any plans to play a rockstar on screen?
    You will run for your life if I open my mouth to sing.

go karan go karan go karan :cheer2: :cheer2: :D

17. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

I think Karan is Shahrukh's true friend. He doesn't need to talk to MEDIA about how he feels about any issues conserning Shahrukh, he can say them face to face. I actually have more respect for Karan's way of doing this. He's Shahrukh's FRIEND not a PR person...

I agree with Rahul, Shahrukh is one of the biggest stars, he's not the only big star. Don't get me wrong, to me there is no-one else but Shahrukh, but Shahrukh and Karan work in a film industry, they should have a different view than the fans. The fact is, no matter how big a role Shahrukh has in any film, Shahrukh and Karan cannot make a film just between the two of them...

18. rainy

rainy New Member

VERY TRUE!! :thumb::)

19. RizwanaShahrukh

i dont wana go off-topic here but you're right rahul! But then again what he has also probably realised and is implying is that SRK is NOT no.1 but infact there are quite afew other No.1's too! :suspicious:

Anways whatever it is, i'm tired people addressing SR like that. I just wish the days will come back when people call him THE BIGGEST and THE BEST ONLY again! :pray:

20. rahulsn011

rahulsn011 Well-Known Member

Oh no...there is no discussion of who is number one! SRK will remain number one but Karan was not asked that question.
    SRK is one of the biggest stars at the moment, maybe in a few years, he will become the only star!