1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaisi Paheli Hai?

Discussion in 'Paheli' started by Wafa, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kaisi Paheli Hai?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Can Shalini Sarna do a Bhanu Athaiya? The 29-year-old costume designer talks with all fingers crossed[/FONT]Jagmeeta Thind Joy
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]THE news has finally sunk in. Critics can continue contemplating. Life has moved leaps and bounds. At least for costume/fashion designer Shalini Sarna it has. ‘‘Of course, it’s a great feeling that the film’s been nominated for the Oscar. It doesn’t get bigger than that,’’ chuckles the 29-year-old working out of her Ahmedabad studio. Paheli, India’s only nomination for the Oscars for the year 2005 has Sarna’s name up there in the credits. Here’s why.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] From Shah Rukh’s multi-hued (and much layered) pagadis to Rani Mukherjee’s flambouyant and ferociously vibrant Rajasthani lehengas, Juhi Chawla’s perfectly embroidered pallus to Anupam Kher’s angarakhas, down to the dancers’s costumes...Sarna’s stitched a fine tale.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    ‘‘The brief given to me by the director was clear - we had to depict the true spirit of Rajasthan,’’ mentions the NID post-graduate who debuted as a costume designer in director Amol Palekar’s earlier production Anahat that saw her dress up Sonali Bendre.

‘‘For Paheli, I travelled to Jaipur for a month-long research work,’’ divulges Sarna who spent most of her time browsing through libraries and museums. ‘‘History books were a big help and so were the umpteen visits to villages in and around Jaipur,’’ tells the designer.

Strangely, while the fabric for the outfits was sourced from Jaipur, kaarigars in Delhi and Ahmedabad jazzed it up. ‘‘One had to be careful in keeping it as realistic. For example, the colours and combinations were selected after much research. Even the pagadis worn in the film were the way they were for a reason,’’ explains Sarna. The humongous size of Shah Rukh’s turban for instance had a theory. ‘‘In Rajasthan, the turban colour and size depends upon the caste of the person. Since the character is the son of a seth, the size is bigger and ditto for the varied colours,’’ Sarna reminisces.

Apart from the stunning costumes, it’s the breathtaking locales of Rajasthan that have been superbly shot in the film. ‘‘It’s a complete visual delight,’’ agrees Sarna referring to the film’s cinematographer Ravi Chandran. ‘‘It’s not just the costumes that speak for Rajasthan in the film. Paheli showcases almost every element of Rajasthani culture and customs, from magnificent architecture and havelis to the famous Rajasthani puppetry, from the grandeur of the sand dunes to the costumes and jewellery worn by the actors,’’ says the designer who’s suddenly found herself in the spotlight. ‘‘Yes, there has been appreciation for my work and I have a few Bollywood offers in the pipeline,’’ she winds up but not before mentioning, ‘‘I don’t do just traditional wear. Westerns are on my list too.’’ Red carpet dressing anyone?

In case...
    ...you missed the film everyone’s suddenly raving about, Star Gold will be premiering Paheli on January 29. Viewers also get a sneak peek with a special behind the scenes episode - The Making of Paheli - which showcases well, the making of the film’s music, with songs and pictures never seen or heard before. [/FONT]