1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

just stuff I thought about this movie and maybe a few questions...

Discussion in 'My Name Is Khan' started by rubyroo, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Why did Khan write in English characters in his journal rather than Hindi?

I read in a review somewhere that Sam should not have had a Hindi accent when he was born and raised in the USA. This is incorrect. I have known many Russian and Ukrainian children of immigrants who have lived here most or all of their lives. They speak their parent's language at home. Most I have known do not learn English until they begin school. They continue to speak with an accent into adult life. My husband's grandfather was born in the US and the child of German immigrants. He spoke German as a child because he was brought up in a small community of German immigrants. Even as an old man, he still had a slight accent. It was funny because he had by then forgotten how to speak German...

MaryAnnK and sonataca thank this.
  2. frenchfan

frenchfan mornings best dealt with dark as nite coffee.

I agree with you about the accent, :thumb:

About the writing, from my own experience in India, I've seen people writing with both languages, depending on the topic...
    I guess Kjo prefered the English so that it could be seen by non-Hindi audience. It has some logic in the film, because from his childhood Rizu is fond and talented in English, then he lives in USA and we can guess he is used to read & write in English...

rubyroo says thanks.
  3. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

One thing I love in all his movies is when Sha Rukh speaks broken English. So cute!