1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Jab Tak Hai Jaan': Biggest Shahrukh Khan opener (BoxOffice)

Discussion in 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' started by mumbiene, Nov 14, 2012.

1. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

Jab Tak Hai Jaan': Biggest Shahrukh Khan opener, takes overseas by storm

• Shahrukh Khan
    • November 14, 2012
    • By: Reena Das
    • Diwali festivities come to an end for millions of fans across continents with the release of the much-awaited Shahrukh Khan-Yash Chopra movie, “Jab Tak Hai Jaan”. On Nov. 13, 2012, the movie opened to packed theaters and is the biggest SRK opener till date, reports trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
      Business curiosity runs high amid fans and viewers and film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh continues to update his Twitter timeline with the earning reports of “Jab Tak Hai Jaan.”

According to a tweet he made on Nov. 14, 2012, “#JTHJ India biz [15.23 cr nett] is *highest ever* for any film released on Laxmi puja day. It is also @iamsrk 's biggest opener so far.”
      Despite the mixed reviews and Diwali festivities that were in full swing, “Jab Tak Hai Jaan” has done great business in the box office on its opening day.
      According to the reports that have been trickling in, the SRK-starrer took a big lead in the multiplexes.
      And, as expected with any Shahrukh Khan movie, "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" took the overseas market by storm.
      The international reports were shared by Adarsh and “Jab Tak Hau Jaan” collected $ 330,000 in U.S. In U.K. the movie raked in £ 158,342 from 86 locations and in U.A.E. it earned $ 325,000.
      The movie also took Singapore by storm and garnered S$ 96,000 on Tuesday. Australia added to the potluck with A$ 77,334 from 24 locations. It will open in New Zealand today.
    • http://www.examiner.com/article/jab...-shahrukh-khan-opener-takes-overseas-by-storm

franny, MaryAnnK, Tash and 1 other person say thanks.
  2. semsem008

semsem008 Well-Known Member

really i will die with disappointment :tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:
    why isnt it releasing in my country:mad:??????
    here in Egypt we have many nonsense hollywood films that i dont even think in downloading them through the internet
    the cinema halls of these film are empty ... why not experiment with shahrukh films...
    he has fans here after my name is khan and no one is using advantage of this
    i dont know whose to blame ... Indian distributors or here in Egypt

3. semsem008

anyway this is absolutely right

4. mumbiene

Jab Tak Hai Jaan Overseas Figures
    Zitat:
    Wednesday 14th November 2012 20.30 IST Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Jab Tak Hai Jaan collected $1.3 million on its first day in overseas. the breakdown was as follows.

UK - £158,000

US -$330,000

UAE - $414,000

ROW - $300,000

TOTAL - $1,300,000
    http://boxofficeindia.com/boxnewsdet...eid=5090&nCat=

Tash says thanks.
  5. srk ki dewani

srk ki dewani Well-Known Member

same here in algeria :( ..

6. semsem008

yeah i know....sad :( very sad.. disappointing..frustrating and everything...when no one here or any of your friends know anything about it

7. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

great stuff more to inshallah i would like to see its figures from pakistan

8. srkjuhi

srkjuhi Well-Known Member

Is it true that the all the shows for the next two days are sold out in Pakistan?

9. sami16

sami16 a fan not a fanboy

One can only imagine what the business would have been liked had there been if there was no Son of Sardar! ;) JTHJ has taken roughly 60 cr nett in 4 days! the sort of numbers you expect for a single release on Diwali! Its setting records in overseas at least even with SOS there e.g Pakistan where it took $100, 000 on the first day of release, historic collection that is much bigger than previous 2 record holders, Wanted and Don 2.

10. mumbiene

BOX OFFICE: ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ Opens With A Bang!

MUMBAI: Yash Raj Films’ romance-drama ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ starring Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif, and Anushka Sharma has performed fantastically at the Box Office within its first four days of release.
    ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’, the last film directed by Late Yash Chopra, written and produced by his son Aditya Chopra, was released on 13 November, 2012.
    Being a national holiday on account of the festival of Diwali, the expectations on its opening day were mixed. Heavy advance booking suggested positive news, but the day being a very important one where most of the country performs prayers, hopes from the evening shows were lower.
    Fortunately ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ opened with a huge approximate Rs 152.5 million (Rs 15.25 crore) net, which is exceptional for a ‘Laxmi puja’ release.
    The film has maintained pace, and fetched close to Rs 600 million (Rs 60 crore) net in 4 days. JTHJ is faring better at multiplexes as compared to single screens.
    ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ is clearly running ahead of the other big release – Ajay Devgn’s ‘Son Of Sardaar’ which opened on Diwali with Rs 107.5 million (Rs 10.75 crore) net, and currently stands at a 3-day total of Rs 390 million (Rs 39 crore) net.
    But, if compared to the other big releases of 2012, JTHJ’s opening is milder. Salman Khan’s Eid Release ‘Ek Tha Tiger’ had raked in a gigantic Rs 320 million (Rs 32 crore) net on its first day, and Hrithik Roshan starrer ‘Agneepath’ was close to Rs 220 million (Rs 22 crore) net on Day 1.
    However, the first weekend for the film is likely to do extremely well, and the Rs 1 million (Rs 100 crore) figure is not too far away for ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’.
    http://businessofcinema.com/boxoffice/box-office-jab-tak-hai-jaan-opens-with-a-bang/53878

Tash, RizwanaShahrukh and mira_khan thank this.
  11. mumbiene

Shahrukh Khan's 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' creates history in Pakistan
    • Shahrukh Khan
    • November 17, 2012
    • By: Reena Das
    • After much speculations and rumors galore, Yash Chopra’s last directorial venture with Shahrukh Khan, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma, “Jab Tak Hai Jaan” opened to packed theaters in Pakistan on Nov. 16, 2012. The film is being distributed by IMGC Global as has reported a historic opening, according to trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
      On Nov. 17, eminent film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh who continues to update fans with the numbers posted on his Twitter timeline, “#JTHJ takes a Hurricane-like start in Pakistan. Collects PKR 93 lakhs from Thu previews + Fri release. Highest opening ever in Pakistan.”
      He follows it up by, “#JTHJ *Pakistan* Thu previews + Fri: PKR 93 lakhs [$ 96,976]. HISTORIC.”
      In recent past, the Pakistan Censor Board had banned several Bollywood releases in their country, including the much-talked about Salman Khan’s “Ek Tha Tiger” and Saif Ali’s “Agent Vinod.”
      However, when assured that “Jab Tak Hai Jaan” does not portray Pakistan in a bad light, it was decided to bring the movie to the neighboring country.
      According to a leading Pakistani daily, the film opened in Pakistani cinemas on Nov. 16, breaking all previous records with 9,000 seats booked in advance.
      The IMGC Global chairman organized a premiere of “Jab Tak Hai Jaan” at the Atrium, Karachi on Nov. 15. The special screening was arranged to pay tribute to Yash Chopra and to celebrate his last directorial offering. A large number of celebrities attended the premiere and shared their thoughts about Yash Chopra.
    • http://www.examiner.com/article/shahrukh-khan-s-jab-tak-hai-jaan-creates-history-pakistan

12. srkjuhi

This is a little off topic but I have to say one would have earlier thought the comparisons would stop at just the B.O collections but most of the stuff out there is just bordering on ludicrous now. I have come across comments where people have suddenly started talking about the number of screens at play and I'm not just refering to JTHJ and SOS but people are talking about how ETT had more number of screens , more shows per day , the prices of the tickets were higher and no competition so Shahrukh was absolutely right when he asked in one of his interviews(I think it was the one with NDTV) that where would the comparisons stop...lol?

13. mira_khan

mira_khan Khan addicted!

boxofficecapsule:

JAB TAK HAI JAAN Crosses 100 Cr Worldwide

"Jab Tak Hai Jaan" was poised to do well over weekend and as SOS lost 8-10 cr nett due to shutting of cinemas in CP Berar and Maharashtra today, JTHJ too set to loose business in tune of 10-11 cr over the weekend. The exact tune of loss and collections can be determined only tomorrow when reports will come of final figures.

Its tough to predict business in this scenario. As per early estimates, film collected 11 cr nett on Saturday which takes film's total to 71 cr nett. Film will either touch 85 cr nett which is a bad result for the film as film got hurt when it matters most.

Though film is fortunate that it is doing brisk nusiness in overseas and film will recover money as well as make profit just riding on that. Having global appeal helps especially in todays time when business dynamics are so fragile.

Film collected approx 26 cr in 4 days and it seems that film will cross 45 cr for sure over the weekend as we predicted on Day one. That means film is set to cross 130 cr nett worldwide and around 160 cr gross collectionsin just week even after clash and this new sad development today.

Below are the collections for the film (overseas is avalable screens' 5 day figure) -

Overseas Collections

Tuesday
    07.40 cr
    Wednesday
    06.90 cr
    Thursday 05.90 cr
    Friday 05.80 cr
    Saturday 08.50 cr*
    Total Overseas Collections
    34.50 cr

*Expected figure

Domestic Collections

Tuesday
    15.00 cr
    Wednesday
    19.50 cr
    Thursday 14.50 cr
    Friday 11.00 cr
    Saturday 11.00 cr
    Total Domestic Collections 71.00 cr
    Total Overseas Collections
    34.50 cr
    Total Worldwide Collections 105.50 cr

http://www.boxofficecapsule.com/boxoffice-collections.aspx?id=903

mumbiene, zheni and Tash thank this.
  14. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

After the clash jthj really didn't need the death of some political figure to affect collections -.-

well what they're saying is right. Before someone compares jthj's BO collections to ETT's it's important to know ett had 800 more screens, higher ticket prices and a better release date compared to jthj so makes for an invalid comparison so yes the comparison should stop.

15. srkjuhi

Those are all valid points. I'm not denying that but like I asked where does it stop..lol?

16. mumbiene

ANS New Delhi, November 18, 2012 | UPDATED 15:21 IST
    Romance spins magic! SRK, Katrina, Anushka-starrer Jab Tak Hai Jaan earns big at Box Office
    The magic of Yash Chopra's evergreen romance formula seems to be working again. "Jab Tak Hai Jaan " (JTHJ), his last directorial venture before his death, has earned Rs.60.39 crore at the domestic box office in four days of its release.

The Shah Rukh Khan , Anushka Sharma and Katrina Kaif-starrer love story released on 2,500 screens on the auspicious occasion Diwali, Nov 13.

The film earned Rs.15.23 crore (Tuesday) Rs.19.54 crore (Wednesday), Rs.14.45 crore (Thursday) and Rs.11.17 crore (Friday).

Produced by Aditya Chopra under the family banner Yash Raj Films, JTHJ was reportedly made at a budget of Rs.50 crore. Shot in exotic foriegn locales, the movie witnessed a good opening in the overseas market too.

The total overseas collections turned out to be $4.75 million (Rs. 26 crore). A break-up of the overseas figures - $1.30 million (Tuesday), $1.20 million (Wednesday), $1million (Thursday) and $1.25 million (Friday).

JTHJ released alongside Ajay Devgn's "Son Of Sardaar" (SOS), a comedy entertainer.

Earlier on Friday, superstar Shah Rukh Khan said he is happy acting in Indian movies and doesn't consider himself fit to be a part of politics.

"First of all, I have not been offered any Hollywood movie. I know a lot of people working in the production of Hollywood films. There are a lot of studios here, so we keep meeting the studio heads also. But I don't feel I have the USP of being in Hollywood," Shah Rukh, who was in Delhi to speak at the HT Leadership Summit, told reporters.

Shah Rukh, who has completed two decades in Hindi film industry, feels Hollywood has enough actors of his age and that he wants to dedicate his future to Bollywood only.

Asked if he plans to be a politician in future, Shah Rukh said: "I have been asked this question for the past many years. I know many politicians and have huge amount of respect for them. I talk a lot to them too, but politics is not my job profile."

However, if he gets the chance to play a politician on-screen, Shah Rukh says he will love to play Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad.

17. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

inshallah more to come

18. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

YASH CHOPRA’S “JAB TAK HAI JAAN”… A WORLDWIDE BLOCKBUSTER!
    19 November 2012

JAB TAK HAI JAAN COLLECTS 122 CRORES WORLDWIDE IN 6 DAYS
    JAB TAK HAI JAAN opened worldwide on Diwali, 13th Nov 2012, to a tremendous response at the box office and has set several collection landmarks ever since.
    ALL INDIA NETT BOX OFFICE COLLECTION
    Tuesday 15.23 Cr
    Wednesday 19.54 Cr
    Thursday 14.45 Cr
    Friday 11.17 Cr
    Saturday 10.38 Cr
    Sunday 9.96 Cr

TOTAL INDIA 80.73 Cr
    It is the highest first day collection ever for any film released on Laxmi Pooja day, even though it did not have a solo release.

It is also Shahrukh Khan's highest opening day figure, ahead of both RA.One and DON2, which had solo releases.

OVERSEAS
    JAB TAK HAI JAAN takes the International Box Office by storm.

JTHJ recorded some mind boggling figures for the opening day (Tuesday) screenings on a limited overseas release, as the film opened in stages over 14th, 15th, and 16th November.

The film has had a tremendous response and the audience reactions have been extremely positive. What has been most touching is that everyone is sitting through the end credits as the film pays a tribute to Yash Chopra, which makes it even more special.

OVERSEAS GROSS BOX OFFICE COLLECTION
    Tuesday $1.30 Million
    Wednesday $1.20 Million
    Thursday $1.08 Million
    Friday $1.35 Million
    Saturday $1.52 Million
    Sunday $1.13 Million

TOTAL $ 7.58 Million
    TOTAL OVERSEAS 41.7 crores

This is the highest grossing weekend for any Bollywood film overseas!
    Some interesting milestones:
    • US – Opened at No. 5 on the US Box Office charts and the highest midweek and weekend grossing Bollywood Film ever
    • UK – Opened at No. 4 on the UK Box Office charts and the highest midweek and weekend grossing Bollywood Film ever
    • Middle East – No. 1 at the Box Office and the highest midweek and weekend grossing Bollywood Film ever. The fastest ever in the Middle East for an Indian Film to reach the 2 Million Figure – in 5 days.
    • Australia – Opened at No. 2 on the Australia Box Office charts (limited release) and the highest opening Bollywood Film ever.
    • New Zealand – First Bollywood Film to open at No. 1, overtaking all Hollywood Films on Wednesday.
    • Germany – Opened at No. 7 on the German BO.
    • Pakistan – All time record of highest Opening Day collections for Film ever.
    • Singapore – All time record of highest Opening Bollywood Film ever.
    JTHJ continues its run on the World Top 10 Charts over the weekend! A rare achievement for any Bollywood film.
    US # 8
    UK # 5
    NZ # 4
    AUS # 6

YRF films have always lit up homes worldwide during the Diwali festivities and this time too, the audiences have shown their continued love for A Yash Chopra Romance.

A fitting tribute to a legend!

http://www.yashrajfilms.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=1d3cf0a4-a473-4513-ae21-2864f6464dd5

19. mumbiene

20. bijal

bijal Well-Known Member

Those of you who has been so negative here, I just want to make a point. In spite of losing a great business in Maharastra (Mumbai/Pune) territories, our SRK’s JTHJ has managed to make 123 Cr. (81 India + 42 Overseas ) and SOS 77 Cr. (66 India + 11 Overseas) in 6 days. To me, we keep comparing SRK’s movie with SK and AK, but he has hurtles with his movie release sine OSO days(has not had a solo release or some major incidents have occurred during his release) and his movie managed to make a good business regardless!! So for once, let’s agree that SRK has been the most consistent STAR in 20 years – and since I reside in overseas, I can vouch that others are miles away where SRK is the one and only Global star that BW has; Period.

kahaanii2802, shublee, MaryAnnK and 2 others thanked this.