1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Its all about us!

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews - Members' started by rollercoast, Nov 16, 2007.

1. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

OSO finished 7 hours ago. The computer room at my hotel has just opened, in fact I rushed down here early and they kindly opened up for me - I had to get here as fast as I could to write down first impressions.

Apologies that I'm not using the spoiler facility - too much to say.

What a rush! What an experience! 3 hours spent grinning from ear to ear (apart from Om's death). I loved it, loved it, loved it! Even though most of the cinema references sailed past me (though I was very proud to be able to pick up on some) it was genuinely funny, easily the funniest Shahrukh film that I have seen. It also seemed incredibly dense in its use of these details, so the film felt very complex to me, even though it probably wasn't. You felt you had to be alert every second in case you missed something. Oh it must have been fun to make!

srk - again his acting has scaled new heights. In effect he plays 3 characters, first Om, second Om and the blending of the two after he realises he is reincarnated. This is similar to Don, where his best, most complex moments are Don playing Vijay playing Don. His comedy acting was beautifully done, without the classic srk expressions and gestures which we love so much, but which can sometimes detract from the character. The range from 1970s blah, to spoilt superstar brat to the dramatic scenes at the end were stunning. My esteem for him just grows and grows. What a year he has had, first with Kabir Khan and now a mix of Oms.

The music - stunning, beautiful, relevant. I thought I had seen Daard e Disco so many times on the internet that it would be a bit ho-hum. However, I could say the whole movie was worth seeing just for the sight of Shahrukh's magnificent jean-clad body rising up out of the water. He is a god!!!!!

I won't say much about the plot, sets, costumes, etc. Suffice to say they were fantastic. The plot just worked, the visuals overwhelmed. The final sequence, a reinterpretation of the stage musical The Phantom of the Opera, including masked figures on a staircase, chandelier and a phantom, sends shivers down my spine even thinking about it now. Someone has given Farah Khan a giant paintpot and said "Go your hardest". She has created a visual masterpiece - admittedly big, bold, overloaded, but dazzling. My admiration for her knows no bounds.

What struck a chord with me most was that part this of film is about us. Om's love for Shanti, just a dream on the big screen, was what every one of us here feel for this darling man of ours. I, Chris, would gladly jump into the flames to save him if I had to. Luxia would do it without a moment's thought. I'm sure so would Wafa, and Brita, Gai, Cherine, Andrea, and just about every one of us here. We can all understand that unquestioning love and devotion that can lead to big emotions, risking our lives, if not literally, at least part of our lives, for the sake of a dream. How strange then was it to see the object of all our hearts and desires playing the role that we play out here every day. You're one of us Om.

PS: I have just been to see it for a second time, so two views within 15 hours - same reaction. I gasped at the same moments, melted the same, laughed the same. I would happily go for a third session if I could.

2. Chicken

Chicken ♥ ♥

Thank you Chris. :hug:
    Absolutely true :nod:... very well and beautifully said. :thumb:

You spoke our hearts dear. :heart:

3. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Thank you Gai.

4. clochette

clochette New Member

Chris!!!!!!!!!!! I just saw OSO for the third time... big screen, big emotions and intensity growing... I will not write an own review, I am not good at this, but let me say that all you've written is a part of my thoughts and feelings... and seeing them written down by you makes them even more valuable. Thanks!

5. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

what a beautiful review chris thank you!
    and you are right, the film is dense with many details and if you blink you would probably miss something.
    right again, Farah has created a masterpiece. what's next? would it be hard next time for her to meet or exceed our expectations? would this be a benchmark for her next film?

6. Ramoneh

Ramoneh I Love You ShahRukh

7. K

K I love you Shah Rukh. Staff Member

Beautiful review Chris.:heart::heart: What you said is so true, and you've written about it so honestly.:angel: Thank you soo much for sharing.:)

Exactly yaar. A lot of times when talking about Shah Rukh I would use phrases like, "Someone who makes life worth living," or "Someone who I could give my life for,"...and people would look at me with such shock :eek:...but the fact is, it's true.:heart:

8. Ramoneh

I know what your saying Kalee Jaan....So many people think i'm crazy :crazy: for thinking that way...but its true.

9. K

Exactly...thank God we can express our love here!!:heart:

10. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Thanks Claudia, what a lovely thing to say. I am touched.

But I would love to know what the rest of your thoughts on the film are. I suspect there is so much to discuss in this movie.

11. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Thank you Wafa.

I had such faith in Farah Khan on the basis of MHN and she has fulfilled every expectation. I imagine she can only build from here. She has proved that her mind as a director works at an incredibly complex level.

I think she has two main challenges now. One is to find another fresh approach to a project.

The other is that she may find her new family swamps the energy required. I wish her every happiness with the babies and hope that it will just take a little longer to acheive the next vision, because that is truly what is at work in this movie - a complex, layered, beautiful vision.

Can I also add, and this made me very happy, that I went with 3 non-Indian friends, 2 of whom are unfamiliar with Indian movies - and they loved it! Two of them would gladly have gone to see it a second time - though perhaps not the very next day like yours truly!!! We spent a lot of time next day discussing it - the themes, the references, etc. I was very proud of them for entering into it with such spirit, and very proud of the film (of course I am responsible for that! lol) for connecting with them so well. I keep thinking that perhaps this points the way towards winning over a non-Indian audience. The style, the humour, the emotions are universal. True the Bollywood Tribute theme is very specific, but perhaps her next film.......

12. starstar

starstar People are not perfect (except when they smile)

Chris dear,

Thank you so much for this beautiful review :). What you said is so true: Om, in his love for Shanti, is just like us. And, I'm sure none of us would think twice before jumping into the flames to save our Sweetheart.
    I could identify myself with Om in the "Ajab Si" song also. Just to get one glimpse of Shahrukh... I think I would be ready to follow him anywhere. No matter if his security guards throw me out :p.

Thank you very much for writing down something we all are thinking deep down in our hearts :).

13. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Thanks Kalee, Ramoneh and Kavitha.
    I am trying to picture all of us fighting over who will save him if he is ever in danger! LOL
    How extraordianry that he can touch so many hearts so overwhelmingly.

14. K

Lol!:p

It really is extraordinary:heart:... brings tears to my eyes.:eek:

15. Ramoneh

So true...I would total win hahahahh :p ;)

It is truly "Extraordinary"

16. Basma

Basma Active Member

thank you chris for a great review, I felt as if I was watching the movie again.

17. clochette

clochette New Member

Every time I was in the theatre here in Geneva, there were a lot non-Asian, too, and looking at the packed big theatre, they loved to be there. In all three presentations there was applause at the end... I can not tell about the reactions of the audience during the screening because I was just too absorbed into the film to have a notion for the reality around me - I don't know if others danced in their seat or if they cried or if they laughed (I was sobbing like a child when the interval came and did not look to others), but after the film I saw many, many pleased faces and heard very positive words...
    Well, writing about the film... I just can't... I could give my comment to things others wrote... I am still too much involved in this film I saw on the big screen on three following days, each time immersing deeper in the movie. Where should I start? I would start at the moment when I heard the identification-music of Red Chillies because it resembles the one of a production-banner I have known during my childhood. And where would I end? The moment when I get out of my trance some seconds after the last note of music was played. In between I would live the film, exploring every corner, every layer, every room, I would talk about the people I encountered, I got familiar to, I love at different levels. And after having finished my journey through the film I would write about the making... So, it is obvious, I can't write all this here, but I could surely write a book about Om and Shanti and Om and about OSO...

18. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

We'll look forward to that some day Claudia! :)

19. clochette

clochette New Member

You are such a sweetheart to write this, Chris... But I have to finish another one, first... I am looking forward now to Mushtag Shiekh's book (I hope he will not disappoint me with his writing like he partly did in Still Reading Khan)...