1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

General discussion of JTHJ (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' started by ASLH, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Also, earlier in the evening Samar as Raj had rejected her advances at the bar, saying she was looking for someone else other than him, but wouldn’t find it at the dance. She probably thought he wasn’t interested in her. So when he professed his love, it came as a shock.
    What's a 'gali ki gundi'? Gali is swearing, isn't it? Gundi is a female gunda, a gangster or criminal? But the two words put together with a "ki"? Wish my Hindi were better.

2. RizwanaShahrukh

RizwanaShahrukh I love SRK

I think he meant Gali as in alley ;) Like a total "badmash"... party animal... and all the nonsense that comes with being one :p

Mara says thanks.
  3. Rayhana

Rayhana Well-Known Member

Thanks to Rizwana Iv remembered a crucial point in the movie ( atleast for me)that kind of bothered me. The whole I don't want to marry an Indian because they are brown and the black boy in the field dressed like he was from another lifetime. Couldn't they have used another adjective or reason for her not liking Indian boys and Why did the only black person in the whole film need to be a little black boy in a field pushing wheel barrow. I mean with so many prejudices in the world, in India Iv noticed that especially in films they don't even attempt to clear stereotypes and prejudices like these. Did anyone else notice these things or was it just me.

Prerna Dewan says thanks.
  4. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

but Mееra but eventually fell in love with an Indian boy, then the prejudice was not as strong.)))

5. Prerna Dewan

Prerna Dewan Well-Known Member

'Gali' as in 'alley' or 'lane' as Rizwana rightly pointed out. And 'gundi' is indeed the female form of gunda. But it isn't implied in that negative a way. All it means was that she's a brat. :) a naughty, lively brat. :)

Mara says thanks.
  6. Prerna Dewan

That was a jarring note for me too Rayhana. Even though she ultimately falls in love with Samar, who is 'brown', but that does not mitigate the racist tone in the statement 'please let me not marry an indian guy. they're brown and annoying' or whatever she said to that effect. Because ultimately, she has fallen in love with him despite his 'brownness', no attitudinal shift vis-a-vis indians is depicted in the movie. You can say that it was an innocent statement made by a little girl, but clearly, Katrina's character asks for the same wish even on growing up.
    I agree with you about the portrayal of the black guy as a field hand too. It's unfortunate that a film made by a director who was always ahead of his time had such racist (minor, but nevertheless) undertones.

7. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

You probably know that India is a "fad" of skin color .... so I do not see anything surprising in the fact that they have so far have problems with this.

8. RizwanaShahrukh

Well as Shah said... movies reflect life.. and sadly some people still think this way in real life...

Another reason for her shock could be that she was "happy" with her fiance, like she told Shah just after the engagement. When she approached him to learn singing... she never taught her life will change...

9. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Here you aren't right. The movie just also shows that it isn't necessary to treat haughtily someone because of a nationality or skin color... That people are equal before God and love... The love opens eye Meera...

Alenka says thanks.
  10. Prerna Dewan

I'm not so convinced that just because she fell in love with him, she has had a change of thinking. I see it as falling in love with him despite his skin colour. Of course, she doesn't act haughtily ever. But I don't agree with the argument that just because she is not actively practicing discrimination, she doesn't actually have the wrong attitude. In fact, even if you like people of colours/nationalities, but don't wish to marry them, you're making an assumption of likeability/non-likeability on that basis. Even this, in my opinion, is passively racist.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not dead against the movie because of this single point; in fact, I've watched it many times because I really do love the movie. But this is the only point I do not like about it.

11. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

I didn't notice any of that, I was just enjoying the film, so never stopped to think about any of that. I didn't think she was racist or anything like that I just took it as her opinion although I did find it funny when she said that knowing her and samar would fall in love. And I don't even remember any black boy in the film :/

12. Rayhana

hmm None of that was anything I intended to pick out but as soon as I saw them I couldn't help but feel bothered. It is not anything specific to jthj but I v have noticed it in a few indian movies. Anyway I don't want to start a whole other controversial subject just wondering if anyone else noticed or not. Nevertheless I enjoyed the movie despite but you just can't help the way you feel about certain things,can you

Prerna Dewan says thanks.
  13. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

I can definitely say that I did not pay attention to it)))) my personal opinion is that political correctness often much worse than such statements ....

14. Rayhana

what do you mean?

15. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

We're not going to open the discussion)))) just political correctness often does not reflect the views of the people, and shows a simple fear of being accused of racism. Policy.

16. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I didn't notice any of this either......I do notice how Americans are depicted in many movies it is quite oblivious, you really can't miss it, it's OK we whiteys, are at the top of the list to hate.

But that is the way of the world.....you can find it everywhere from making fun of a large or small person to disliking someone for their color of skin or religion....

don't get me wrong it's not right! It is never ever right!

I feel Meera meant she wanted a man like herself, she had grown up in London so wanted a man from there....I think when we all dream of the man we will marry when we are a child, be honest, he looks like us....Meera looked English, she thought she was English not Indian....so of course she would want to marry an Englishman. She grew up there and remember her mother left with an Indian another reason not to fall in love with one...

Then she met Samar......and well the rest as they say is history....:heart:

RizwanaShahrukh says thanks.
  17. Rayhana

I noticed that also and that is what I meant when I said all the different sterotypes and how cinema can try to change those sterotypes. I don't think we should take this discussion too personally as I was just mentioning what I noticed in this particular film.
    Naturally I think we notice things more when they affect us directly and will obviously be more sensitive towards that which is probably why I noticed what I did but I don't think there is anything wrong with having a discussion about it and exchanging views.

Prerna Dewan and Debbie thank this.
  18. RizwanaShahrukh

Same here.. I too took it as her opinion :thumb: Actually I laughed when I saw her pray about her dream guy as a kid :lol: It reminded me of myself and lil girls do stupid things like that :lol:

Debbie says thanks.
  19. semsem008

semsem008 Well-Known Member

i'd like to talk about something that i realized now

i see that a lot of people is talking about the amnesia thing being ridicules and unreal and so on ....and this with some critics and people outside here

but i remembered that i saw an american film and it had the same amnesia and it was real.. every one take it as real
    does anyone remember "The Vow"? it was about a wife that had an accident with her husband beside her in the car
    and she did lost her memory and forget all about him and her memory was stopped at her being in college

unbelievably it was a REAL story....it happened in reality no one then can say any thing about it offcourse
    so it happened and happens... why cant we believe it here in shahrukh film?

ASLH and Debbie thank this.
  20. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

People write stuff, not thinking about the fact that if in life everything is possible, that in the film all the more. Ignore the whiners and just enjoy the film!

semsem008 says thanks.