1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

General discussion of JTHJ (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' started by ASLH, Sep 21, 2012.

1. semsem008

semsem008 Well-Known Member

you are right but offcourse i enjoyed it and enjoy it still.. i love this movie really... it is delicate simple and heartfelt

2. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

I also very love the movie and do not want different comments ruined my love.

3. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Meera’s racism against her own people reflects her rejection of her own “Indianess”, her family culture, which is very much a part of who she is as a person. Growing up in London she could be embarrassingly aware of how she is both bilingual and bicultural, Western and Indian. No one wants to be different from everyone else. But it’s basic in psychological development that one grows toward emotional wholeness. That part of us that we reject and push off into unconsciousness will refuse to be ignored, create a life of its own, and emerge when and where it‘s unexpected, like Meera’s sudden life shattering love for Samar. The film beautifully shows her development from a repressed, “Daddy’s Good Little Girl” (also “Jesus’s Good Little Girl”) into a flesh and blood woman who can accept and balance both the physical and spiritual parts of her life within the context of her bicultural identity. This is a quote that describes that process: (SRK mentioned part of it in one of his tweets):
    Don’t turn your head.
    Keep looking at the bandaged place.
    That’s where the Light enters you.
    And don’t believe for a moment that you’re healing yourself.”
    ~Rumi

4. Rayhana

Rayhana Well-Known Member

^Thanks for that Meera. You made me look at it from a different point of view...

Mara says thanks.
  5. iamsrking

iamsrking Well-Known Member

I just realised when Samar is back, it is because of scare of God's punishment, she can't stay with Samar, so she said to doctor she could't do it any more ... Kat didn't show out the struggle of heart for Meera ...

MaryAnnK and Rayhana thank this.
  6. elimeten

elimeten Well-Known Member

I think it was because she felt guilty of deceiving Samar and made him believed that they are married while he was having an amnesia knowing fully well that Samar couldn't remember everything that had happened between them for the last ten years. Samar completely trusted her to help him remember those supposedly 5 years of their married life. That is also why she avoided the kiss initiated by Samar prior to the scene when she met the doctor and said she couldn't lie anymore. There's also a small scene where Meera was in the bathroom trying to calm herself down. I can see the inner struggle that she had during that scene. She's afraid that if she reignited the passion and love they shared and continued to be with him, something bad might have happened to Samar. That was the purpose of the promise/bargain that she made to God in the first place. She asked God to keep him alive and in return she will never see him again.

MaryAnnK and iamsrking thank this.
  7. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

As I was watching the second half this morning, it struck me that this film is just as much about Meera as it is about Samar! It could be her film as well. One really has to truly understand her character to get the deeper meanings of what is happening. I truly did not understand her "belief" in God or how deep her faith in God was to grant her every honest desire. Once that is in your mind as you are watching the story unfold that you begin to really understand how she could "turn her back" on Samar. That was soooo difficult for me to understand early on in my watching of this film. As I really became more involved in her character, I was able to understand it better. Her ability to finally grasp that she could marry Samar comes from the comments made by Imran when he tells her about love having its own time. We each grow at different paces! We learn and understand things differently. My favorite scene in the film is when Samar calls Meera to the church dressed in her wedding sari and lets her know his memory has returned. The anger, the intensity with which he declares his love for her!!!!! The way he pushes her out of the way as he exits the church. It really is not a battle between God and Samar; it is a battle between Meera and her personal beliefs in how God manages things. She has to come to terms with her love and her God and that took TIME! I still don't know if I have expressed my thoughts very well, but I am getting more and more out of this story every time I watch it!

Debbie and Alenka thank this.
  8. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

I think you are very right Lorraine. I feel Meera had made God almost like a subsitute for her mother. Think of it a little girl alone, making promises to God and expecting promises to be given to her back. I think her father loved her very much, but as far as knowing what her dreams were made of, she kept them back and only shared with God, which if her mom had been there she would of shared with her. Her faith and how she felt about her relationship with God was a very important part of Meera's life. I never had a problem with believing her promise made to leave Samar if he was saved. Many have made promises to God in the hopes that their prayers will be answered. They just don't,or didn't at the time, realize that God doesn't work this way..........

MaryAnnK says thanks.