First Day First Show: Writings from the Bollywood Trenches By Anupama C. Foreword by Shah Rukh Khan

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Book Club' started by mumbiene, May 13, 2011.

1. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

First Day First Show: Writings from the Bollywood Trenches

By Anupama Chopra Foreword by Shahrukh Khan

[​IMG]

Selling Price : Rs 499.00
    [​IMG]

For more than a hundred years now, Indians have watched movies made in the subcontinent, sung the songs and gossiped about the stars. Bollywood has been a passion, a popular tradition and a shared national conversation. In recent decades, as India has experienced economic and social change, both the film industry and the entertainment it produces have transformed themselves as well.

First Day First Show is Anupama Chopra’s guide to this dazzling world of lights, cameras and stars but also to its shadowing darkness. She takes us into the lives of the stars and into the struggles of those who never make it to centre stage; she lets us participate in the making of legendary hits like Sholay and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge and also the hard-won successes of independent film-makers; she shows us the glamour as well as the murky links with the underworld. There is also the odd story of the royal bodyguard of Bhutan who became a scriptwriter; of the embarrassed Pakistani soldiers at Wagah border who did not allow their favourite Indian superstars to shoot.
    This book has all the ingredients of a Bollywood hit: there is friendship, love, despair, hope, heartbreak and triumph.

http://www.penguinbooksindia.com/category/Cinema/First_Day_First_Show_9780143065944.aspx

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110513/jsp/opinion/story_13973369.jsp

Wafa, Number8, Chamz and 2 others thanked this.

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. DianaDimple

DianaDimple Well-Known Member

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2011/may/240511-informer-2.htm

Shah Rukh writes a foreword for a new book

By: The Hitlist Team Date: 2011-05-24 Place: Mumbai
    Shah Rukh Khan has written a foreword for Anupama Chopra's forthcoming book on Bollywood First Day First Show. He writes, "She takes us into the lives of the stars, and into the struggles of those who never make it to centre stage; she lets us participate in the making of legendary hits like Sholay and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge... she shows us the glamour as well as the murky links with the underworld. There is also the odd story of the royal bodyguard of Bhutan who became a scriptwriter; of the embarrassed Pakistani soldiers at Wagah border who could not allow their favourite Indian superstars to shoot."

SRKdream and Wafa thank this.
  4. mumbiene

5. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!! Staff Member

I got my book last week, thanks to my friend and long time Planetsrk member/supporter and a devoted SRK fan-Dhoti. SRK has written a forward for Anu's book "First day first show".
    In his forward he shared 2 funny stories from his early days as a new actor in Mumbai (I can just imagine him narrating the stories and laughing! :D ). He also talked about the 3 phases of the evolution of "Bollywood" and his experience being part of it.
    Additionally, he talked about "Bollywood" vs. "Hindi film-making country or Indian film industry.
    "But finally Bollywood hi hai" he said. "Yaar, hum bollywood hi rahenge"...

He referred to the book as a Hindi film and a true representation of a Hindi film.

This is just a brief of the Forward; I don't want to give the store away for those who would like t buy and read it. I still have to read the rest of the book. It talks about SRK and a lot of his movies and characters, and his role in the Indian film industry.

SRKdream, jg2k, MaryAnnK and 2 others thanked this.
  6. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I can't afford the price of $35. Need to wait a little while for the price to come down!!! Lucky girl!!!!!!

7. jg2k

jg2k The.One

Found some more details:
    Whose book on Bollywood has he written a foreword for?

[​IMG]

Shah Rukh Khan has written the foreword for well-known film critic and author Anupama Chopra's new book 'First Day First Show'. She feels only SRK could do justice to it because he has had an exemplary journey in the industry.

"I asked him to write the foreword because he is somebody whose career I have followed very closely and who in a sense to me is one who actually exemplified the journey. The three Khans have really spearheaded Bollywood. So for me he was the best person to encapsulate how much things have changed," Anupama said.

Giving a sneak preview of the book, she said: "It's a collection of the work that I have done. The idea was to put the articles together so that it shows how much Bollywood has evolved in the last 20 years. It sort of becomes the history of modern Bollywood. It's to see where we were in 1993 and now it seems like another world."

She has been working for two decades, so how did she manage to retrieve her work to compile the book?

"Honestly, I am not so diligent. I completely relied on India Today, where I worked for about 12 years. Fortunately, for me, they have a great library, great archive so they got it all out for me otherwise I would have been in deep trouble."

Anupama, who won the National Award in 2001 for the best book on cinema for 'Sholay: The Making of a Classic', says revisiting her work was a nostalgic experience.

Mesmerized by Shah Rukh's success, she had written his biography 'King of Bollywood: Shah Rukh Khan and the seductive world of Indian cinema'.

"It was amazing to go back and revisit the articles you have done 15 or 16 years ago. There was a profile I did of Shah Rukh in 1992 and 1995 when he was shooting for Aziz Mirza's 'Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman' and 'Ram Jaane'. It was extremely nostalgic to re-visit that time. But it was great fun," said the 48-year-old journalist.

Anupama, who has a strong connection with Bollywood, being the wife of producer-director Vidhu Vinod Chopra, shares a very professional relationship with the industry.

"My relationship with the film fraternity, apart from my husband, of course, is very professional. It's not that I am close friends with anyone. So I can tell you with all honesty that I have never been biased," she said.

Asked about her husband's take on the book, she said: "He doesn't read what I do. He reads some of it. He kills some of it. He prefers to read in Hindi. So he is not a big reader of my work.

http://www.masala.com/31474-srks-first-day-first-show-connection

MaryAnnK, Wafa, Number8 and 1 other person say thanks.
  8. Number8

Number8 Well-Known Member

Wafa and MaryAnnK thank this.
  9. Wafa

who is getting the book? So much great info about SRK and his old ways and films.

10. Number8

I will buy it soon :D

11. Number8

Wafa says thanks.
  12. Wafa

Number8 says thanks.
  13. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I am reading it right now! There are so many chapters about Shah Rukh. I love reading about him, but I am truly becoming a Bollywood/Hindi cinema fan and I love reading about the history too. This is quite enlightening to all that was and is going on behind the scenes. (Makes me wonder how much of that was going on in Hollywood too.) But mostly I like the little stuff about Shah Rukh as I learn about him at those points in time which are covered in each article.

mumbiene, Wafa, SRKdream and 1 other person say thanks.
  14. Number8

Finally in my hands :D

DSC03269.JPG

SRKdream and mumbiene thank this.
  15. mumbiene

Simo and MaryAnnk, you lucky girls
    enjoy the book.

Number8 says thanks.
  16. Number8

Thanks but i'm a boy :p

17. Ella

Ella Haan farishtey hote hain ♥

:lol: can happens naa .. :p

18. mumbiene

Oh....:p

19. Wafa

hahaha, I was fooled too! I think you should clarify that on your profile and choose Male :D

Number8 says thanks.