1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Face-off :Litterateurs and film personalities argue over the film adaptations of Saratchandra's clas

Discussion in 'Devdas' started by Bridget, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Face-off
    24 Mar 2009, 1146 hrs IST, BHARATI DUBEY
    Times of India

Litterateurs and film personalities argue over the film adaptations of Saratchandra's classic, Devdas
    [​IMG]
    Devdas

It was a face-off between litterateurs and prominent film personalities during a seminar held at FTII, Pune over the weekend. The topic of discussion was the various film adaptations of Saratchandra Chattopadhyay’s classic book, Devdas.

While most of the novelists lambasted Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Anurag Kashyap for their respective versions of Devdas, film personalities supported Anurag Kashyap’s film Dev.D, which is Devdas in a modern setting. Making clear her displeasure against Anurag Kashyap’s Dev.D was noted writer Mamta Kalia, director of Bharatiya Bhasha Parishad. She said, “Thank God Saratchandra is not alive otherwise he w o u l d ’ v e cried after seeing what has been done to his novel.”

Kalia also didn’t spare Bhansali’s Devdas. She especially disapproved of Shah Rukh Khan’s death scene in Devdas where flies are shown swarming all around the actor. Incidentally, she felt that filmmaker Bimal Roy had depicted the death scene superbly in the Dilip Kumar starrer Devdas. Kalia went on to say that Bimal Roy and Dilip Kumar would surely have been saddened after watching the death scene in Bhansali’s Devdas. Writer and historian Priyamvad was angry with Kashyap and Bhansali for changing the period of Saratchandra’s book. He said, “No filmmaker or film writer has the right to change the period or location of a story from what is in the (original) novel. I don’t allow anyone to do it and it should not be allowed. Anurag certainly did not have the right to change the period of the story.”

While authors were against the latest versions of Devdas, filmmakers were all praise for Anurag Kashyap. Mahesh Elkunchwar, who has written films like Holi and Party, was in favour of Anurag. He said, “Anurag has very nicely portrayed the decadence of the character Devdas in Dev.D but in Bhansali’s Devdas it is director’s decadence that comes across.”

Seconding Elkuchnwar’s opinion was director Mani Kaul who said, “Anurag Kashyap’s Dev.D is an honest film. Anurag has very nicely shown the decadence of the character Devdas and I agree with what was just said about Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Devdas.’’

It maybe noted here that Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Anurag Kashyap have been at loggerheads after the latter criticised Bhansali’s film, Black. But when Kashyap decided to make his version of Devdas, he asked Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s assistant Vikram Motwani to write Dev.D.

Kashyap had earlier said in an interview: “I am happy with what Bhansali did to Chandramukhi’s character in his Devdas. He fleshed her out and she comes across as a much stronger character than what she was in the novel. That’s why I asked Bhansali’s assistant Vikram Motwani to write Dev.D. Vikram loves Devdas. I connected newspaper stories to the character of Devdas to explore the motivations of today’s youth.”

As for the argument between authors and filmmakers, while the former do not like the film adaptations of Devdas, Kashyap too had clearly said that he never liked Saratchandra’s Devdas. And the argument continues...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/Face-off/articleshow/4308818.cms

2. avirup2008

avirup2008 The King's Knight

Re: Face-off :Litterateurs and film personalities argue over the film adaptations of Saratchandra's

Director's decedance in Bhansali's Devdas? So I am to assume that Abhay Deol lying in a pool of drugs and blood in Dev D is more suited to the screenplay that SRK's death scene?:scared::scared::crazy:
    Despite being a fan of Kashyap's work , i must say Dev D is more of an Indian version of Aronofski's "Requiem For A Dream" than an adaptation of Devdas.

Regarding the logic of the flies, its a joke actually that the logic was even putforward. Death, the epitome of morality is not a happy moment. We cannot show rose petals in celebration of death. The darkness that surrounds the decay of the soul through death has been symbolised through the flies.

The flies here represent the emptiness left behind after death, and their swarming is a vain search for a pulse of life, co related to SRK's vain search for love in the film. Is it really so difficult to understand?:eek:

I am losing my respect in "critiques" on a daily basis. The have stopped trying to explore the director's vision and have become more interested in creating controversies by the day.

I am not much a fan of Bhansali, but Devdas was arugably a moving piece of cinema, the grandeour of the surroundings acting as a contrast to the claustrophobic joints of love in Devdas's heart. And if such a philosphy cannot be comprehended by a critic, I am much better off being in his place:cool::D:D

3. avirup2008

avirup2008 The King's Knight

Re: Face-off :Litterateurs and film personalities argue over the film adaptations of Saratchandra's

Oh and they argued Bhansali changed the script.:eek:

Anurag did a lot more apart from just change:D:D

And the logic of Bimal Roy and all portraying it much better is a debatable argument. Its like comparing classical elements with modern sensibilities.

They did portray Devdas brilliantly in their times but if I raise the argument that SRK's wrath was more self inflictive than towards his peers in Devdas, would Bimal Roy be able to put forward that destructive metamorphosis inside of him as brilliantly as SRK did?;)

Finally, being from India and especially being a Bengali, we had to study the original novel as a part of our literary course for 10th level exams. The settings and sentimental outlooks in the novel are all pre-modernism outlooks obselete under present emotional values. It was only wise of Bhansali and Kashyap to change the setting to capture a more modern domain in their film.

The stuck in the "past" critics failed to understand that too?:eek::suspicious::crazy:

4. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Well, I guess people are entitled to their opinons... But to criticise Bhansali's Devdas because there were flies in the death scene?!?!? :crazy: That's just plain crazy...

I also can't accept when it is stated like a fact that it shouldn't be allowed to change the period of the novel for the film... Why not? If it adds to the relevance (like in the case of bringing the story to present day) or to the vision (like I think Bhansali had very strong visual vision with his film) then there shouldn't be any problem.... :rolleyes:

5. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

Some people make problems out of everything... :rolleyes:

6. sheruka

sheruka SRK forever

LOL:rolleyes:

Now flies also make news:eek: