1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Don: Why ShahRukh Khan was chosen (2005)

Discussion in 'Don the Chase Begins Again' started by Bridget, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Why ShahRukh Khan was chosen as Don
    06th Oct 2005
    09.43 IST

By ApunKaChoice Bureau

[​IMG]

Since the time when Farhan Akhtar announced his plans to remake Don with ShahRukh Khan in the lead, questions were asked whether SRK would be able to create the same kind of magic that mega superstar Amitabh Bachchan did in the 70s blockbuster.

In an interview to a leading entertainment website, Farhan, the director of films like Dil Chahta Hai and Lakshya , said that he believes that SRK will create the same kind of magic in his remake that Bachchan did in the original.

Apart from SRK in the lead role, Farhan has finalized Priyanka Chopra (in the role of the hot Zeenat Aman ) and Arjun Rampal (in the role of the legendary Pran .)

On why he was remaking ‘Don’, Farhan said: To be honest, I feel I'm obsessed with this film. I have seen Don more than 40 times till now and I can remember every dialogue and every scene. Since it's my obsession, I decided to remake it.

On SRK’s ability to recreate Bachchan’s magic, Farhan said: “Look, whenever you experiment with something new, the industry is awash with speculations, doubts and apprehensions. From the day I chose Shah Rukh to play the lead, people have been asking me if he can live up to expectations. I believe he has far more maturity and charisma than any other Bollywood artiste right now. So I didn't have to work hard on this aspect. Similarly Priyanka Chopra is also a very mature actresses and that is why I cast her in Zeenat's role.”

On how different will the new ‘Don’ be from the older one, the son of Javed Akhtar said: “Obviously, it won't be an exact copy of the original. There are some changes keeping in mind the tastes of a modern audience.”

On remaking old blockbusters being a trend healthy for the growth of Indian cinema, Farhan said: “I do expect some people to say that there's a lack of creativity and new story ideas in the film industry today. But I believe this kind of experiment will do enormous good to Indian cinema. At least the industry is making an attempt to try out new things. That's certainly a big step forward.”

Now lets see if SRK indeed lives up to the expectations of Farhan and they both live up to the expectations of the public or not.
    http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/interviews/20051006-0.html

2. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

i didnt watch the old Don but i think thts a stupid sentence.. Shahrukh cant recreate any other actors magic cuz he got his own magic and so far its been working for him and hes been on the top for yrs cuz of it.. and no one really can compare sth tht was made in the 70s to sth tht was made now, the places, cameras everything has changed so to me wht Farhan actually did was a totally new movie called Don :p

3. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

I've watched a few Bachchan scenes from his DON and I can't see any magic... :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

On why he was remaking ‘Don’, Farhan said: To be honest, I feel I'm obsessed
    with this film. I have seen Don more than 40 times till now and I can remember
    every dialogue and every scene. Since it's my obsession, I decided to remake it.

I hope he'll keep this DON-obsession... :D :p

Can't get enough of ShahRukh-DON!!! :flame: :faint2: :heart: :thumb:

I believe he has far more maturity and charisma than any other
    Bollywood artiste right now.

Yeah!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :first:

4. JUG

JUG Well-Known Member

Totally agreed Brita, the old DON was such a BORE! :bored:

DON2 .. bring it on man..i just can't wait anymore..DON was the most stylish movie ever made in bollywood...SRK at his hottest best :flame:

5. lovearagorn

lovearagorn Ullu-Club-Member

I ve seen the old Don (have to admit that only a part of it as it was unbearable) TERRIBLY BORING MOVIE!!!! I can t understand what did ppl like about it(actually I can t even understand what do ppl like about AB, but that s an another story :D)
    SRK was excellent in Don! It s one of my very favourite movies. I ve seen many action movies, with mafia topic in it, as I simply like action, and I think I can say, that the Don can compare with all of them. It s really a perfect movie, and it s so mostly thanks to SRK, and his great acting abilities.

6. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

I don't see the vintage appeal of this movie....I guess you'd have to grow up watching it to feel any sentiment, for me it's just painfully outdated.

As for 'magic'.....magic is SRK shaking his booty in Khaike.... not AB's impression of daddy longlegs....:p

What a coincidence! I'm also obsessed with Don....however I'm afraid my obsession focuses on something else. :p

7. Chandrani

Chandrani Ullu-Club-Cat

:lol:

I haven't seen the old Don, only a few dancing scenes from youtube. It looked alright, I think AB has always done good job.
    But it surey isn't anything compared to the remake, which is so cool :D Especially because ShahRukh is in it ;)

I believe he has far more maturity and charisma than any other Bollywood artiste right now.

Yes! I agree :heart:

8. anke

anke Member

I haven´t seen the old DON but I think every generation has its own favourite sort of films. You have to grown up with them.
    So maybe our children will say that DON with Shah Rukh is boring
    (although I can´t belive that)!

9. rahulsn011

rahulsn011 Well-Known Member

SRK is by far the best Don! I am glad he did Don!

10. KKhan

KKhan Well-Known Member

i agree in my opinion i dont think any actor of today couldve created the same magic for don

11. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

simply becoz shahrukh has the ability to make a remake look good :D