1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Don...Rebuilding the past

Discussion in 'Fanfiction' started by tasifa, Aug 24, 2014.

1. tasifa

tasifa which means Blue Eyes in Thai.

Thanks for all you take the time read and leave a comment.

Here is the next chapter. The parts in italic are Don's flashback. Nothing graphic in this chapter, you can breathe easy! lol

Chapter 34

''Hello Uncle!''

To say that the man in front of him was a pitiful sight was an understatement. With his greasy hair, his rotten tooth and his potbelly, the man looked more like a vagrant than the once powerful crime lord he had been. What had seemed a menace for a twelve year old boy, was now just a nuisance to the eighteen year old young man.

The old man looked at the boy in front of him and thought that he looked familiar. But in his drunken stupor he couldn't recognize the nephew he had sold a few years ago. "What do you want?

"What do I want?...Now that is a good question. What does one want? Fortune? Fame? Recognition? Revenge?"

The man frowned at the enigmatic answer. "Who are you? "

The young man just laughed and then tsk tsk his uncle. "Really? I’m hurt that you don’t recognize me." He mockingly put his hand on his chest and put on a sad face. He took a few steps toward the old man and sat on the cluttered desk right next to where his uncle was sitting. He took a letter opener and distractedly started cleaning his nails with it.

"Let me give you a clue. I am your late brother’s son. No? Don’t remember? You sold us to your friend in Malaysia to pay your debt. Is it coming back now? No?"

The old man was searching his failing memory but couldn’t recall things too clearly. "What is your name?"

The young man just grabbed him by the neck and told him in an almost whisper "Don’t worry about my name. Soon you will be saying Don... "

He then hit his uncle square in the face and let the unconscious body fall to the ground.

*********************************************************************************************

"I took him to an abandoned building I used as a hiding place." Don continued his story. "I needed seclusion for what I intended to do."

He took a sip of his coffee and made a face. It was now cold and very bitter. He put the cup back on the nightstand and intertwined his fingers with Roma’s.

"If I was to have any kind of closure, then I needed to repay uncle for all the miseries that had been bestowed upon us."

Roma was listening intently without interruption, although she knew that what her lover was about to tell her would be horrible beyond her imagination.

When Don started talking again, his voice had a dreamy quality about it.

"I waited patiently until he woke up."

**************************************************************************************************

"Wake up!” The tone was sharp and loud enough to bring back the old man into consciousness. Adit Verma wasn’t one to be scared easily but he had to admit that he felt uneasy upon waking up. When he tried to rub his eyes he discovered that he was in shackles. Both his wrists were handcuffed to a chain bolted in the concrete wall behind him. So were his ankles. There was enough length on the chain to allow movements, but he was unable to stand up or lie down.

“Did you have a nice rest?” This time the tone was pleasant and full of mischief. The shackled man narrowed his eyes and looked at the boy sitting crossed legs a few feet away from him. He didn’t know what his intentions were, but this foolishness would stop this minute.

“Boy! Undo these chains immediately. And show respect to your elder!” Adit voice was hard and with enough authority that any other boy would have obey. But Don, as now Mark thought of himself, wasn’t a boy. His miserable childhood had seen to it that he had to grow up way beyond his time and act like a man. Hearing the demand, Don just laughed sarcastically

“Respect! Do you even know what the word means? Respect isn’t due because of age. It is due when one has proven that he was worthy of it. By the way one lives his life. By the way one conducts himself. You? You deserve nothing but pain and death. You are trash and a shame to the human race.”

The way he said those words made the hair on Adit’s arms stand up. He swallowed convulsively and asked once again. “Who are you?”

The young man looked at his prisoner with disdain. “I am your beloved nephew. Markanday Mohamed Verma. I am the son of your younger brother, Taj Mohamed Verma. You remember now? But my name doesn’t matter. Like I said soon you will be saying Don...”

Taj’s son? Oh yes! He had taken his brother’s family with him after his passing. Suddenly the memories came back like a tidal wave. He remembered the day he sold them to Vishal Kashyap. He hadn’t thought about them once they had left his home.

“Look. I...I didn’t have any other choice. Vishal Sir was going to kill me. It was the best way to clear my debt. I knew he had a big mansion. I knew your mother would be able to work and provide for you boys. I mean it was the right thing to do. Right?”

Don’s face was now totally closed. The only visible sign of his rage was a vein pulsating on his temple.

“Wrong! The pig you sold us to was worse than you were. Do you want to know what he did? I’ll tell you what he did. After all, we have all the time in the world. And it’s not like you have a choice or somewhere else to go. How does it start...Oh yeah! Once upon a time....”

“So I told him everything that had happened to us. Every single punishment, every torture inflicted. With a lot of details. Nothing was left to the imagination. I guess uncle had a fragile heart because he vomited a few times. It’s funny to think that just hearing about it made him sick when I, who had to endure it all, never even shed a tear.”

Roma couldn’t help but feel her heart squeeze painfully. He had been denied so many things while growing up. He should have been able to cry just like any other boy.

“I am sorry that your life was nothing but pain and misery. You and your family deserved so much better.” She made sure that there was no trace of pity in her voice. She knew how he abhorred pity. She waited with bathed breath his reaction, hoping that she hadn’t done something that would send him into a rage. But all he did was caress her cheek with his thumb.

“Thank you for saying that. Yes, my family deserved better. But like Mick Jagger said You can’t always get what you want.“ Don took a deep breath and audibly exhaled. “You take what life gives you and you make the best of it. Or for some, you make the worst of it.” His mind drifted back to his uncle.

“Why are you telling me all this? It’s not my fault what happened to you and the others. I wasn’t even there. You have to let me go. I have meetings to go to. People will know something is fishy if I don’t conduct my business.”

“Oh I wouldn’t worry about that! I made sure that your associates have been informed that you had a family emergency and would be out of the country for at least two weeks. It should give me enough time to do what I had planned.”

Now Adit Verma was really scared. There was something in the boy’s tone of voice that was freezing his blood in his veins. His nephew’s eyes were empty but the cruel little smile at the corner of his lips was enough to convey all the madness that was probably in his brain.

“What have you planned? “ He was almost afraid to ask. “So glad you asked!”

Don got closer to the shackled man and his whole demeanour changed. He went from dark to mischievous in a second. He sounded excited.

“Well, I had to really think hard about it. Because how do you cram four years of torture into two weeks? But I am very imaginative. So I decided that I had to make sure that since time was short, the pain had to be double. Or even triple. I mean, that’s a good compromise, no?”

The old man just shook his head, eyes almost popping out of his skull under the fear that had started consuming him. “You’re crazy! I’m your uncle! Think about what your father would say if he was alive!”

That last statement just infuriated Don. He moved so fast toward the old man and grabbed him by the throat, squeezing hard. His uncle made a choking sound as he tried to grab at Don’s hand to break the hold, his shackled arms leaving him defenceless against the younger man’s assault.

“Chup kar! Do not say my father’s name. Do not dare tell me what my father would think of me. My father would be proud to see his son stand up to kutte like you and Vishal Kashyap.”

He gave the man’s throat a last painful squeeze and let him go. Adit Verma took a few painful breaths and started coughing. That boy was crazy. Allah only knew what he was capable of. Obviously he was unstable. He had to reason with him. Persuade him to let him go. And then he would have him killed. That was all that little shit deserved.

“Oh don’t even try! I am beyond reasoning. And no I am not deranged or unstable. Yes, you said that out loud. I know exactly what I am doing. I have been planning this for the last year. I have been thinking about it for much longer though. From about the time you sold us like slaves. Or worse, like cattle. You harvest what you sew.”

Again his whole attitude changed and he smiled playfully. “I couldn’t go to school, but I still got an education. I read a lot, all kind of books. I read books about the human body. I’ve seen quite a few movies too. Did you know that there are 36 points on the human body if struck right that could prove fatal? But don’t worry. I won’t strike them. At least, not yet.”

Don stood up and walked away from the man. When he was near the stairs, he turned to look at his uncle. “Well I’ll take my leave for now. Feel free to watch around and guess what I will use on you when I come back. You can scream if you want. This is an old abandoned building and we are in the third basement and it is all concrete. Nobody can hear you. Jalda hi phir milenge, uncle.”

“When I left, he was screaming and crying like a baby.” His disdain was etched in his voice.

“Have you ever cried?” she asked seriously. She hoped he would answer her. She didn’t know why but she needed to know.

Don took his time before answering. He was trying to remember when he had cried last. He had never been one to shed tears, even when he was very young. It didn’t mean that he didn’t feel, he just had other ways to deal with sadness.

“When papa died, I remember going into the woods and crying. It is the only time I recall.”

“Did it help?” Again, he had to think about it. “No. Aside from giving me the hiccups and red eyes, it did nothing to lessen my pain.”

“I cry a lot. It helps.” That statement just got Don bursting into laughter. It was a nice sound to Roma’s ears after the last few gruesome hours. She playfully hit him on the chest. “Stop it! Don’t laugh at me!”

“Mere junglee billee , you cry all the time. You cry when you’re sad and you cry when you’re happy. I don’t know how it helps.”

The young woman pouted and delicately kissed the palm of her lover’s hand. “I’m sorry I am such a bad girlfriend!”

Don grabbed her hand so he could kiss the knuckles. “Indeed you are a bad girlfriend. I wonder if you’ll be a better wife.”

There it is. Thanks for reading. As always, feel free to leave a comment

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

:jaw: :faint: :love: ah at last!!!!!!!!! but so short :hurt: uffff u really had me going that it was going to be a long one and the poof! it stopped :pout: really need to update fast yaar, i can't wait to read more. although i admit i am scared :biggrin1:

tasifa says thanks.
  3. tasifa

It's more than 2000 words! Come on! And you're the one to talk. I think you're the queen of short chapters!

4. tasifa

On the next one I'll write 500 words and ad a nice long poem and make it to 2500 words. You won't have any excuse to say that the chapter is short! lol

5. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

KYAAAAAA? ok then i'll give u short chapters missy! :brick:
    :lol:

tasifa says thanks.
  6. woody

woody Active Member

Uff, I'm a little bit in fear what I expect from the young Don. He reminds me of Ramsay Bolton from GOT.....brrrr :eek:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    tasifa says thanks.
  7. Ashwini0510

Ashwini0510 Member

Thank you so much for the update! Was really nice! Wonder whats gonna happen between Don-Roma now??

tasifa says thanks.
  8. Imanek

Imanek Active Member

Wonderful chapter i was scare at the beginning but it was okay,,and the last line??its a cue right?my God he is proposiiiiinnnnngggggggg!!!!!!i just hope everything will be alright with the baby update soon

tasifa says thanks.
  9. don-roma

don-roma Member

please update soon

tasifa says thanks.
  10. tasifa

Well you never know with Don. Who is Ramsay Bolton and what is GOT? I'm updating now! Thanks again for sticking with my story.

11. tasifa

So much can happen between them....but that's the beauty of this couple! I'm updating now. Thank's for your support.

12. tasifa

Well, you're gonna have to continue reading if you want to know. I'm updating now. Thank you for your patience.

13. tasifa

I'm updating now. Thanks for your interest.

don-roma says thanks.
  14. tasifa

Well. You asked for it. I'm updating now. Thanks for pushing me. Love you, choti bahan! :kiss:

Dea says thanks.
  15. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

yay!!! love u too didi :kiss:

16. tasifa

Thank you so much for your patience. I had some health problems and my moods had been like a rollercoster for a while. Hopefully I'll be right as rain in no time. Thanks for sticking by this story, you cannot imagine how good it feels.

Here is the next chapter. Nothing gross or gruesome. Hope you enjoy it.

Chapter 35

Roma stopped breathing. Did she really hear him say wife? She wasn’t sure. She replayed his words in her head. Indeed you are a bad girlfriend. I wonder if you’ll be a better wife. Yes he did! What was she to respond to that? Was that a proposal? They both stayed silent for a moment until Roma couldn’t wait any longer.

“Did you just, in a very weird way, propose to me?”

“I don’t know. Did I?”

Roma sat up to look him in the eyes. She didn’t know if he was toying with her, dangling the proverbial carrot only to tell her that it was just a joke. They locked gaze and waited, neither of them willing to be the first to break the bond. Again, Roma was the first to lower her eyes. One thing was sure, she wouldn’t beg. He probably was trying to find a way to turn the whole thing into a joke. She fought against the tears that she could feel coming and turned her back on him and just lay down.

The young woman heard the rustling of clothing and suddenly Don’s hand appeared in front of her face holding a tiny ring. It was plain gold just like any other wedding band, which surprised her since Don usually showered her with intricate, expensive jewelry.

“I know. It is simple. I could have bought the biggest ring or have it custom made. But anybody can do that. This is Ma’s wedding ring. Papa wasn’t rich and he couldn’t afford something expensive, but Ma always told us that she wouldn’t have loved any other ring. I was going to give it to...”

He stopped talking, unable to say the name of the first girl he loved. Roma knew perfectly well, after Ajay had told her the story of Samara that Mark wanted to propose to the girl. Roma didn’t feel jealous or even insulted that he wanted her to wear his mother’s ring even if he had plan to offer it to his first love. That was then, this was now.

The young woman put her hand on his lover’s hand and squeezed softly. “I would be honored to wear your mother’s ring and to become your wife would make me the happiest woman on earth.”

She again turned to face the man she loved. She just presented her hand and without breaking eye contact, Don delicately put it on her left ring finger. It was a perfect fit! What he did next almost took her breath away. She’s never seen him wear any jewelry other than a watch, but he presented her another plain gold band, larger, obviously made for a man. “Papa’s.” Was all he said holding his left hand in front of her, just like she had done a few minutes ago. She reverently took it and put it on his ring finger. It was a little loose but not enough for it to slide out.

“Papa had very large hands.” Roma saw Don’s eyes widening for just a short instant and knew that he was feeling something special. She smiled and jumped in his arm to give him a bear hug. She couldn’t remember being this happy.

They kissed passionately and would have taken things further if not for the short knock on the door and a throat clearing noise. The couple slowly separated, Roma’s face red from embarrassment and Don sporting an annoyed look. They really needed to move back into their home in order to have some privacy. But with Roma’s condition, Don knew that being around Ajay and Emile was good for the young woman. She’s been estranged from her own family so the least he could do was giving her the comfort of his own.

“Sorry to interrupt,” Ajay said with amusement at the spectacle of his brother and his girlfriend. Baba Ishan was smiling with affection at the couple. He could feel that the atmosphere was different from when they left.

“You are interrupting!” Don said with barely concealed impatience. “I will be moving Roma’s belonging to the pavilion, that way you won’t have any excuse to interrupt me from making love to my wife to be.”

“What?” “Don!” “Congratulations son.” All three were talking at the same time.

“Chup!” Don’s voice bellowed. He pointed at Ishan. “You’ll be my best man.” Then at Ajay, “You’ll be her bridesmaid.” Before Ajay could make his indignation at being called a bridesmaid known, he got a glimpse of his brother’s left ring finger. He softly grabbed the older man’s hand and brought it closer to his eyes. When he looked back at his brother’s face, he could see a shadow in his eyes.

“Papa’s ring” the younger man whispered. “I thought it was lost. Does that mean...?” He looked at Roma who shyly presented her left hand for him to see. Still holding his brother’s hand he gently grabbed the young woman’s hand and couldn’t stop the tears from streaming down his face. His Ma and Papa had been the perfect couple. Maybe this was a sign that from now on everything would be okay for his brother and sister-in-law. She would really be his sister-in-law! He considered her part of his family with or without an official ceremony, but the fact that his brother had found his soul mate was bringing him more joy than he could have imagined.

He put Roma’s small hand into Don’s bigger one and held them in both of his, as to protect them from ever being apart.

Baba Ishan joined the trio and kissed Roma’s forehead like a father would have. He did the same with Don, surprised when the man closed his eyes to hide the overwhelming emotion that he was feeling. “I am very happy for the both of you. May you live long and happily together!”

“Have you decided on a date? Where is the ceremony taking place? Oh my god we have so many things to organize...” In his excitement, Ajay was all over the place. Roma gently laughed at his antics and just took her hand out of Don’s to grab the young man’ shoulder. Don frowned in displeasure at being separated from Roma, a feeling of impending doom settling in his stomach.

“Ajay! Don just proposed. We haven’t decided anything yet, but as soon as we do, I’ll let you know and we’ll do the planning together. Because I’m pretty sure that your brother won’t volunteer for any of the work that goes into wedding plans.”

The young woman gave her lover a pointed look. Don just shrugged and said in a dry tone. “You and chocolate cake. What else do I need for this wedding?”

Ajay just froze at his brother’s words. “Chocolate? But you...” A slight incline of Don’s head and narrowed eyes was all it took for Ajay to stop talking. Great! Roma thought. Another secret she will have to ferret out of Don. She would. But now was not the time. She looked at her watch and opened her eyes wide in alarm.

“Arre! My doctor’s appointment is in less than an hour! And I’m not ready!”

When she took a step toward the bathroom, Don grabbed her and just held her tight against him. He couldn’t care less about the other two in the room with them. He was feeling like holding on to his girl and keeping as little distance as possible between them.

“You are perfect as you are, sweetheart.”

“You’re kidding, right? My hair’s a mess; I don’t have any make up on.” Before she could continue her rant, Don put a finger on her lips, effectively shutting her up. “You don’t need all this. Ta beauté est naturelle.”

Just like every time Don spoke to her in a foreign language, she felt a shiver down her spine and her desire for him rising. But she couldn’t do anything about it, not with Ajay and Ishan in the room.

“At least let me take a quick shower.” She pleaded with her husband to be. He looked at her intently for a few seconds and then nodded. “I shall join you then.”

Roma’s face reddened in embarrassment and Ajay looked like a deer caught in the light. Ishan just hid his laughter behind a cough. The old man just shook his head and grabbed the young doctor by the scruff of the neck and directed him toward the door, leaving the two lovers alone in the bedroom.

Don looked at the gorgeous young woman hungrily and gently pushed her toward the bathroom. “Jao, mere junglee billee.”

Roma couldn’t stop fidgeting on her seat. Don was holding her hand and slowly caressing her knuckles with his thumb to try and calm her down. She had to admit that his touch kept her grounded.

She startled when the door opened and Dre Fournier came in with a smile on her face. Roma’s hope for good news went up the roof. She turned to look at Don who winked at her. She couldn’t help but smile at her lover.

“Roma, Don. I have excellent news! The listerosis is gone. The baby is in excellent health and doesn’t seem to have been affected by the infection. Of course to be on the safe side, we will continue regular monitoring of your pregnancy. But I cannot reiterate that you have to follow your diet religiously. I know it can be a pain, but so far disaster has been avoided, let’s keep it this way. Do you have any questions?”

Roma shook her head. But Don had one. “I do Isabelle. Can we still have sex during the pregnancy?”

Roma felt her face warming in mortification. How could he ask that kind of question? She hid her face in her hand, wishing that she was anywhere else but in this office. Dre Isabelle Fournier didn’t laugh or appeared surprised. That question was asked by every single man whose better half was pregnant.

“Of course you can. As long as the mother doesn’t feel any discomfort during intercourse, it is even recommended. As you must know, orgasm releases endorphins that cause a feeling of well being. So I would say that sex is a good thing, especially in your case, Roma. With the anxiety of having listerosis, I’m pretty sure that you’ve suffered a lack of endorphins these last few weeks.”

Roma stayed silent, her cheeks still burning with embarrassment. The doctor decided to end her misery and closed her file.

“Next appointment should be in two weeks and we should be able to determine the sex of your baby. That is if you want to know in advance. Some couple want to wait and let it be a surprise. You have two weeks to make a decision.”

“Thank you doctor Fournier.”

The couple left the doctor’s office and scheduled the next appointment with the secretary.

Once in the car, Roma turned to look at Don. “Do you want to know the gender of our baby?”

Our baby! The idea was still so alien in Don’s mind. But the truth was that he was going to be a father. “Do you?”

Roma shrugged. “I don’t know. It would be easier to decide the color of the nursery and the clothes we will have to buy. But we still have time to discuss it. We have two weeks.”

Nursery and clothes! How domesticated. How bourgeois. Don suddenly felt like suffocating. He took a deep breath and let the air out very slowly. He discreetly looked at Roma who was looking at the scenery with a content smile on her lips. He suddenly felt a huge surge of love for the woman, so fragile yet so strong to put up with him. He felt overwhelmed. To his surprise, she reminded him of his mother. They had the same strength and determination. His mother was the only woman he had ever admired and respected. And now there was Roma. He took another deep breath. He turned in a small street and stopped near a small park. He turned the engine off and stayed there, silent.

Roma turned slightly in her seat so she could see him better. She could see a myriad of emotions fighting on his face. It was fascinating, really. He was always so in control. Even in his worst rage, it was still controlled.

Don closed his eyes for a brief moment and clenched his fist on the steering wheel. After a few seconds, he shook his head as if to clear his mind. He then turned and looked at Roma.

“I love you.”

There it is. Thanks for reading. As always, feel free to leave a comment

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    frenchfan, franny and Dea thank this.
  17. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i have so many quotes i love from this chapter :heart:

:lol:

haai :love:

:rofl: lol!!

:lol: that's so Don to ask such a question lol

and i'm sorry but i simply love every single word of this part :heart:

ahhhh i love u too Don! :love: :love:

simply adored this chapter didi! i'll read it again :heart:

tasifa says thanks.
  18. tasifa

I'm glad you like it. It's funny how I didn't have any idea how it would go when I started this chapter, but like I said, this story has a life of its own. And I thought it was time for Don to say those three little words. I hope Don is not too much out of character. It is difficult to write him sometimes, you don't want him too soft but yet he can't be heartless all the time.
    If I say so myself I'm pretty happy with this chapter. Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Dea says thanks.
  19. Imanek

Imanek Active Member

Ohhhh soooooo sweettttttt i love love love this chapter Don is such a naughty boy hahhaha i just hope everything will be good now But there are still some things from his part that she needs to know about.Don the most wanted criminal i. The world to Don the kover and now the Father he has come a long way hahha update soon please

20. Ashwini0510

Ashwini0510 Member

Thank God that listerois is gone! Man how I love both of them!