1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Divanee.com - The King is Back

Discussion in 'Don2 Media Reviews' started by Karan#1, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

The King is Back: Shahrukh Khan & Priyanka Chopra Sizzle in Don 2 (Movie Review)

By Saniya Tabani on December 23rd, 2011

What do you get when you add “King of Bollywood” Shahrukh Khan, witty writing, stylized action and a power-packed two and a half hours of entertainment? Farhan Akhtar’s “Don 2″.

For every ten Bollywood movies that make you want to roll your eyes in despair, you can rest easy knowing that the latest installment in the Don franchise will remind you of why you love Hindi cinema.

The sequel kicks off five years from where the previous film ended, with Don successfully deceiving the police, the mob, and audiences around the world. This time, the villainous hero sets his sights on the European cartel and billionaire status by way of European currency plate theft. Taking us across Thailand, Switzerland, and Germany, and with Don’s “jungli billi” Roma (Priyanka Chopra) hot on his trail, what ensues is essentially one sexy game of cat and mouse. This Don is bigger and better, not to mention sleeker and fiercer. Not only have the characters upped the ante, but so have the filmmaker and his actors.

The most alluring factor is the action–the sequences are riveting and choreographed to the highest caliber. These are stunts and chase sequences that could rival some of the best of Hollywood–a rare feat for an Indian film. The highly anticipated car chase and stunt where we see Don fall from a high-rise building live up to the hype. Though there can be similarities drawn to the Mission Impossible and James Bond series, “Don 2″ manages to keep its uniqueness and integrity in tact by keeping its own spin on things. The last half hour boasts of some of the better Indian cinema in recent times. The action is gripping, engaging and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It’s evident that both Khan and Chopra have gone through vigorous action training.

Kudos to writers Farhan Akhtar, Ameet Mehta and Amrish Shah for taking “Don 2″ to such new and unchartered territory. There are some jaw-dropping twists but, most importantly, Don’s trademark one-liners meet every expectation. The dialogue is witty and sarcastic but always charming. Akhtar’s direction and execution leave you wondering why this man doesn’t make films more often, but judging by what’s on display, he is clearly a man of quality versus quantity.

Of the performances, Kunal Kapoor and Lara Dutta are wonderful additions to the cast, both playing their roles rather effortlessly. Chopra surprises with a Lara Croft-esque demeanor. It is so refreshing to finally see a female character kick ass and take names in a Hindi film. The actress can easily add this to her growing repertoire, alongside “Fashion”, “Kaminey” and “7 Khoon Maaf”.

But the biggest gift is Khan’s ability to have chemistry with anything and everything. He and Chopra prove that your characters do not need to have a romantic relationship to sizzle onscreen. Khan is a man who could easily get lazy at this stage in his career, but he hands over a performance that is as good as anything we’ve seen from him to date. He’s in great shape here and delivers his lines with undeniable charm. All of the little nuances–from the villainous laugh to the crooked smile, or even the way he puffs on his cigarette–he will seduce you, even if he’s playing an irredeemably evil man. And Khan might be the only actor who has the power to be a loathsome villain and yet force the audience to root for him.

Verdict? With the holiday weekend, there is no real reason for “Don 2″ to not pull in massive crowds and beautifully cap off 2011. Take your family to this one. Heck, go by yourself, if you have to. Because ultimately, it’s a must-watch and a sign of how far Hindi cinema has come
    today.

http://divanee.com/2011/12/23/the-k...priyanka-chopra-sizzle-in-don-2-movie-review/

Wafa, HALA*SRK, SRKfanforever and 4 others thanked this.
  2. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

YES!
    TOTALLY AGREE!
    SPOILER ALERT: i was laughing at my friends when they were saying how BAD Sameer was to break Don's trust! :pound:
    even i was shouting at those idiots who were hitting Don! :madgrin:

MaryAnnK and S.one thank this.
  3. Karan#1

LOL the priviliges of having watched a movie already :p but that was one fine twist. Don sure knows how to take a lot of hits but that's what makes it so realistic unlike so called other actors' movies where they're invincible

S.one and Yeh Dil thank this.
  4. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

oh oops! i should add "spoiler alert" :lol::oops:
    even in his old movies when he was "supposed to be the bad guy".. i was in tears when he died in Anjaam and Bazigaar :tsk::tsk:
    ahh.. well i don't remember watching an action movie.. Hindi one, other than SRK ones :confused2: so don't know how bad other actors are in that filed :lol:

Yeh Dil says thanks.
  5. Karan#1

Does he die in anjaam and bazigar :eek:... u spoiled the story for me :(
    Just joking i've watched both :p

6. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

i was going to apologize but here instead :caked::lol:

7. SRKfanforever

SRKfanforever Well-Known Member

loooooooved it........thanks to farhan and srk for not disappointing us......want to see it again....

8. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Great review! And I totally agree that it's great to see that Priyanka was given such an ungirly role in this film. Kudos to Farhan for writing such a role! And of course, SRK was so hot as Don, there wasn't a single second in the film, you didn't want him to get away with it all...