1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Director Bhansali and the making of Devdas

Discussion in 'Devdas' started by Bridget, May 29, 2008.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

A comprehensive sketch on the making of Devdas

A Labor of Love

Sanjay Leela Bhansali, that stickler for perfection, has let loose his biggest gamble on the silver screen, Devdas. At Rs.50 crores, the magnum opus set in the 1930s based on Sharat Chandra’s novel of the same name is Bollywood’s most expensive Hindi film ever. What went into the making of Devdas? How did Bhansali make his dream come true?

Sanjay Leela Bhansali lived, ate, breathed and slept Devdas during the past few years. He spared no expense and effort in ensuring that rich music, settings, traditional Indian costumes and elements were blended in perfectly with this tragic love story.
    [​IMG]
    How did the director convince leading stars like ShahRukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai and Madhuri Dixit to become a part of this film which at one point seemed just another grand dream which would fade into oblivion? For Shah Rukh, this was a once in a lifetime to interpret the legendary Devdas in his own inimitable style. For Aishwarya, playing Paro was like a cake walk and for Madhuri, Chandramukhi was a role she had never portrayed earlier. Besides, who could say no when the man himself was totally convinced about his venture?

It wasn’t easy, though, for Bhansali. The film stretched to 260 shooting shifts over nearly three years, two crewmembers died in accidents and to top it all producer Bharat Shah was jailed for 16 months. Bhansali admits that he could have easily abandoned the project but what matters is that he didn’t.

The grandeur of the film transports us back to the era of Mughal-e-Azam when filmmakers bravely worked in projects that they believed in – nearly 700 lightmen worked to supply power to the sets and Chandramukhi’s kotha is a page straight out of a fantasy story. Reportedly, the Dilwara temples in Rajasthan inspired it. Lakhs of rupees were spent on stained glasses used in Paro’s house.

The costumes were chosen with great care. Shah Rukh’s costumes were by designers Sandeep Khosla and Abu Jani. Incidentally, this is their debut Bollywood film. Madhuri’s ensembles cost Rs.15 lakhs. The actress says one of her ghagras weighed nearly 30 kg and it was extremely difficult for her to dance in that costume but dance, she did. Bhansali and designer Neeta Lulla gave Rai the Bengali by mixing and matching more than 600 saris! The film, however, is not just about money and grandeur. Bhansali, that master of perfection, has paid attention to details. Shades of pink and blue echo Paro’s happy moods while a deep maroon mirrors her deep sorrow. Chandramukhi’s kotha is bathed in gold. Music director Ismail Durbar has done full justice by composing music to match the grandeur of the film.

The movie premiered on May 23 at the Cannes Film Festival and the response, according to lead actor ShahRukh Khan, was ‘mind blowing’. It was rumored that Khan would not be able to attend because of a back problem but to everyone’s relief, the livewire was there right on time. He had no intention of missing ‘such a wonderful experience’ at any cost, he told the media. Aishwarya Rai was there too, proudly watching Devdas unfold on screen.

Devdas is the first Bollywood film to have been invited to premiere at the Cannes Film Festival. Bhansali said he was positive that the film would do well both, in India and abroad. He seemed completely at peace with himself – at least until another dream obsesses him.

http://www.hindisong.com/Profile/Profile.asp?ContentID=211&cID=418

2. Bridget

I was just re-watching some scenes from Devdas today and once again I really appreciated the rich lush look of the films as well as SRK's fabulous performance.

I know it's been in the news recently that they are remaking Devdas yet again in India but there is no way whoever plays Devdas can be anywhere near as good as Shahrukh was.

3. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

i agree!
    i keep sayin this, if someone wants to have a flop movie, let him re make devdas!
    Shahrukh was the soul of tht movie, no one can ever top that :tape2:

4. ZaraaKhan

ZaraaKhan ♥ Mohabbat_Girl ♥

Devdas was the first movie i watched, it's a very good movie :p
    And it's interesting to read that :D

5. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

And who's going to play Devdas? Akki? :rolleyes::p

6. Bridget

I think the one I read about is this one that the Times of India had recently on a list of movies that would be released in the near future in India:
    "Anurag Kashyap's Dev D (September) which is a revisionist Devdas , with a heart-broken Abhay Deol on a self-destructive trip"

7. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

For me there's only one Devdas - ShahRukh.... :thumb: :heart:
    Sad movie but really great done! :thumb:

Don't want to see another one... Not interested... :nono: :eek:

8. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

r those suppose to be well known actors? :confused2: