1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Dil To Pagal Hai bonds Indo-US ties- 1998 Indian Express

Discussion in 'Dil To Pagal Hai' started by Bridget, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Thursday, April 23, 1998
    DTPH bonds Indo-US ties

Sandeep Unnithan

MUMBAI, April 22: The crowds may be thinning out even as Yash Chopra's Dil To Paagal Hai stretches into its Silver Jubilee week. But on Thursday evening, the film had some surprise visitors.

Visiting US Assistant Secretary of State for South Asian Affairs, Karl Frederick Inderfurth, took time off his busy schedule to stop by Liberty theatre to check out just what a fluffy Bollywood love story was all about.

``I love movies,'' said the 52-year-old babu, who's charge d'affairs for India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and the Maldives. ``Americans are great moviegoers and I had to see a Hindi film while I was here.''

Explaining the finer nuances of Bollywood filmdom was the first actress to appear bald onscreen, Persis Khambatta. ``It's good publicity for the film,'' the former Miss India smiled as she posed with Inderfurth before a battery of lensmen.

Fresh from announcing Bill Clinton's visit to India this November, Inderfurth sat arm on chin watching the moviewith rapt attention. He could well have been listening to a briefing on the ballistic missile race in South Asia. The US Consulate had bought the entire A row of dress circle seats. Only a few were occupied by consulate officials. Between the song-a-minute caper, Persis leaned over to whisper the missing English subtitles. And to tell him that Akshay Kumar, a high-kicking action hero, is playing a romantic lead in this film.

The film, according to him, was wonderful, with `good music, good dancing.' ``I think my teenage daughter would like the young man in the movie,'' Inderfurth told Express Newsline, referring to Shahrukh Khan. ``What a diplomat!'' Persis hooted with laughter when Inderfurth added that his daughter would like both Shahrukh and Akshay Kumar. But his 16-year-old daughter is evidently a Leonardo Di Caprio fan right now. ``I'm broke,'' he laughs. ``She's seen Titanic five times.'' Well, poppa dearest has seen it twice himself, and ranks it in the class of his favourite,Casablanca.

There was no time to see the whole film, though. Inderfurth left after 45 minutes, as he had an appointment for dinner and a flight to Amsterdam after that Familiar Yash Chopra territory. ``I've asked Persis to tell me the ending,'' Inderfurth said before sliding into a consulate sedan. He had one complaint though. ``They didn't give me any popcorn.''

1998 Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd.
    http://www.indianexpress.com/res/web/pIe/ie/daily/19980423/11350824.html