1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

DARR: Obsessed by Love

Discussion in 'Darr' started by Bridget, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

India Currents Mar 31, 1994
    India Currents Magazine. San Jose, CA. (USA)
    DARR: Obsessed by Love.
    By VANDANA KUMAR

DARR. Director: Yash Chopra. Music: Shiv Hari. Players: Juhi Chawla, Sunny Deol, ShahRukh Khan, Anupam Kher. Hindi.

What do Baazigar and Darr have in common? They both are remakes of Hollywood films and they both have ShahRukh Khan in antihero roles. Darr is the latest movie from veteran director Yash Chopra. This is the story of an obsessive love, a love laced with fear.

Juhi Chawla and Sunny Deol play a young couple in love. Everything is nice and rosy for the young couple, except for one thing -- ShahRukh Khan is also in love with the heroine, and madly so! His problem is that he doesn't have the courage to tell this to her face. Instead, he starts following her around, calling her on the phone, even breaking into her house.

Juhi Chawla is scared by all of this. When her unknown admirer threatens to take Sunny Deol's life and almost succeeds, she is willing to give up on her love for his safety. But Deol, a trained marine, decides that they need to solve this quickly and on their own. How this is resolved is for you to find out.

ShahRukh Khan has come a long ways from his Fauji days. With so many hits -- Deewana, Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman, Baazigar, and now Darr -- he is definitely a name to be reckoned with today. Hindi film heroes have traditionally played the good guy; to play "bad" characters is a fairly recent phenomenon, as we saw in Khalnayak.
    ShahRukh Khan has given us an excellent portrayal of an obsessed lover
    . Sunny Deol is wooden as ever. Juhi Chawla looks gorgeous and is very good in her role. She has had a very successful year, too, with Aaina, Hum Hain Rahi Pyaar Ke and Darr.[​IMG]

The music by the very talented team of Shiv Kumar Sharma and Hari Prasad Chaurasia, popularly known as Shiv-Hari, is very good. A couple of songs are specially good -- "Jadu Teri Nazar" and "Main Tere Saamne, Tu Mere Samne" are my favorites.

Based loosely on Cape Fear, the film is definitely watchable. Thumbs up!

Subjects: Entertainment, Human relations, Interpersonal communication, Love, Motion pictures, Personal relationships
    People: Chopra, Yash, Chawla, Juhi, Deol, Sunny, Khan, Shah Rukh
    Author(s): Kumar, Vandana
    Document types: Movie review
    Publication title: India Currents Magazine. San Jose: Mar 31, 1994. Vol. 7, Iss. 12; pg. 34
    Source type: Periodical
    ISSN: 0896095X
    ProQuest document ID: 481799171
    Text Word Count 401
    Document URL: http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=481799171&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=20582&RQT=309&VName=PQD

2. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

... he's so great as a bad guy.... :thumb:
    And again I feel so sorry for him... poor, bad boy.... :eek: ;)

3. Bridget

I really like all of the negative portrayals SRK does in films. I think he's very good playing bad. :).

I've seen Darr so many times and each time I really appreciate his performance and all the nuances he puts into his character and actions. And the way he uses his movements, voice and eyes most especially.

4. sanjani

sanjani Ullu-Club Member

Yep... his performance is so bursting full of everything you've mentioned... :nod:
    He's so intense sometimes that it makes me physical pain
    while watching him... :eek: ;) :faint2:

5. Bridget

Here's another review of Darr that I'm posting as a reply to combine threads:

DARR (1993)
    by Barbara Burkowsky

Darr is probably best remembered for Shahrukh’s blood-curdling stutter “I love you, K-K-K-Kiran” as he plays the love-crazed psychopath with such intensity and dynamic energy that it simply takes your breath away. In one of his first super hits just a year after his movie debut in Deewana, for which he won the Best Sensational Debut award, Shahrukh took on even more sensational role in Darr as Rahul Mehra, the lonely and emotionally disturbed son of a Navy Captain.

Darr, which means fear, is called ‘a violent love story’ and it shows an extreme case of a love becoming devotion and then an obsession, thus causing fear in the object of Rahul’s romantic fantasy, namely Kiran. The nature of this excessive love is shockingly evident in Shahrukh’s very first scene in the movie in which he walks on the narrow rooftop ledge of a tall building, picking a rose petal with each step in the old tradition of ‘she loves me, she loves me not’, as if prepared to fall to his death if ‘she loves him not’. But the petals tell him that Kiran is his, and thus begins his violent obsession to actively pursue the girl he was always too afraid to even speak with earlier in college.

Shahrukh’s skill in portraying this character, who is both pitiful and frightening at the same time, is evident even in scenes without dialogue where body language and facial gestures already convey Rahul’s abnormal love and adoration for Kiran. As the movie progresses, the character profile develops and reveals the desperate depths of the illness, and Shahrukh continues to surprise and impress the audience with his other great talents such as speech and its many tonal variations.

As Rahul, pursuing Kiran with phone calls, he suddenly speaks rapidly, excitedly, passionately and irrationally as the sick side of Rahul is let loose. Such emotionally intense portrayals of perverted reasoning and an unbalanced mind make the character or Rahul frighteningly real to the viewer, and it takes a particularly gifted actor to convey such extreme behaviour so very convincingly.

Darr is packed with many such intense emotional scenes which show the depths of Rahul’s desperation which can suddenly switch to angry determination. And while Rahul’s wild determination to get Kiran is obvious, there is still continual suspense about what this unpredictable and unstable person will do next, and in contrast, we see the bond between Kiran and Sunil grow stronger, showing what a normal love should be like.

In fact, Darr’s success can also be attributed to these two leading stars who both have impressive career credentials. Former Miss India and top model, Juhi Chawla is perfect in the role of Kiran, and after 20 successful years she is the longest-lasting model in India’s film industry, while her co-star is the Action King of Bollywood, Sunny Deol, who is also well cast as Sunil, the strong, tough and enduring marine commando.

As a result of this well-chosen cast, Darr has a fine balance of exciting action scenes and even some humour in the character of Kiran’s older brother, played by experienced veteran actor, Anupam Kher, who is an ardent cricket fan and is constantly bickering with his wife. And a successful film like Darr must also have a carefully thought-out plot and screenplay which is skilfully executed by one of India’s most highly praised directors, Yash Chopra. In following years, Chopra went on to direct even bigger blockbuster hits, and with Shahrukh in the starring role, namely Dil To Pagal Hai, Mohabbatein and Veer-Zaara.

Adding to the movie’s popularity, Darr also features excellent songs and good dancing, and two of its songs, namely Tu Hai Meri and Tu Mere Samne, are still popular songs which feature on at least two compilations of Shahrukh’s greatest film hits. Another appealing feature is that both these songs, as well as about a third of the movie, were actually filmed in Switzerland which has some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world.

But without a doubt it is Shahrukh’s character that stands out as the real attention-grabber in this movie, and his brilliant acting is enhanced by skilful direction by Chopra who builds the irresistible suspense with every scene, leading to an emotionally jarring climax.

The sadness and pity Shahrukh’s performance stirs up in the viewer is as hard to forget as the hauntingly beautiful harmonica melody which repeats throughout the film, and which echoes in your mind long after the film has finished. Darr is definitely a successful film on all fronts, and it provided the ideal environment for Shahrukh to display his remarkable talent and thus be catapulted to greater success and more challenging roles.

http://vluvshahrukh.com/fanzone/barbara/darr.htm

6. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

totally :thumb: