1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Complete entertainer, don't miss it (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Chennai Express Member Reviews' started by Karan#1, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Karan#1

Karan#1 Well-Known Member

My title sums it up. On the whole, CE is a fun and entertaining film with a good dose of everything. Perfect masala film and family entertainer.

Story/screenplay:
    • Yes there is a story. It's a simple one and takes a few turns that keep the film running.
    • There are no unneeded scenes and film moves at a great pace. Big contrast with JTHJ.
    • There are a lot of funny scenes but also some scenes which make you emotional.
    Acting:
    • SRK is in his zone and plays his role with ease. Pulls of the comedy and action scenes very well. He's a complete hero who shows the power of a common man ;).
    • Deepika is very beautiful onscreen and measures up well against SRK.
    • All the supporting actors, especially the villains, do a good job themselves.
    Comedy:
    • A lot of comedy scenes, even scenes that are supposed to be intense/emotional are done in a funny way. Made me laugh a lot, can't remember when I laughed that much for an SRK film. Laughed more than i did in OSO and main hoon na.
    Action:
    • Action isn't over the top and overly done. It's very entertaining and at the same time realistic action. You're really rooting for SRK in the action scenes.
    Songs:
    • Only one song in the first half and then three in the 2nd half. They are superb on the big screen, especially titli and kashmir mein.
    Flaws:
    • SRK is a bit over the top in one or two scenes (but audience was still laughing in them).
    • Tera raasta song comes a bit too quickly after another song.
    Audience reaction:
    • Very positive. They were literally laughing many times. There were families, elder people and youth.
    • Watched it with a friend who called the trailer crap and doesn't like rohit shetty films (only liked singham). But she loved the film and rated it even better than all of SRK's recent films (including OSO) and on par with RNBDJ.
    Closing points:
    • It's a blockbuster
    • No offensive stereotyping of south indians as some found in ra.one. South india is beautifully shown and all tamil dialogues are genuinely spoken.
    • Film has a lot of repeat value.
    Rating: 9/10. Blockbuster, entertainer, SRK+Rohit Shetty - what more could you want? Grab your ticket and have a fun time!! :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Wafa, rubyroo, Alenka and 5 others thanked this.
  2. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Yay! Sounds good. Thanks Karan. :D

3. raksha anantharam

raksha anantharam Well-Known Member

It sounds great, can't wait to watch tomorrow!!!!! :D

4. srkjuhi

srkjuhi Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is spoiler related or not but was just wondering where does the title track fit in since I'm guessing lungi dance would be part of the closing credits?

5. Karan#1

Title track is just used (and very effectively) as part of the background score. And yep, lungi dance is part of the closing credits.

6. iamsrk

iamsrk I HATE to lose !!

I dont know why nobody is talking about srk's stretch as a performer into this genre after so many years!
    by stretch i mean ... a right director can literally stretch this guy to do almost anything!!
    HE WAS AWESOME!! ... u can see the range of the actor inside him... i never expected i would ever see srk in such a funny form!! ... :p
    i repeat HE WAS AWESOME :D .. and the audience i saw the movie with today 11:30 show(at a local mumbai multiplex) ... was enjoying everything he did and said .. great response i must say!!
    one thing which i noticed is that he is too huge for such movies... he did it ..ok.. but he must refrain from such kind of cinema in the future!!

i give a 9/10 just for srk .... deepika too was very nice!!

Sofie and rubyroo thank this.
  7. Karan#1

Ohh yes, I didn't elaborate on it but SRK's comic timing and actin was superb, had me and the audience laughing. HNY is another masala film but expect it to be bigger and classier.

iamsrk says thanks.
  8. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

I do not agree with you!! I saw that SRK thoroughly enjoyed filming this movie, so much happiness in his eyes I had not seen for a long time! That's why I think that any time he wants to get the most happiness of filming, he must turn to a crazy comedy. IMHO.:)

Tash, iamsrk and rubyroo thank this.
  9. Baree

Baree Shah Rukh Khan forever

I fully agree....but looks like only these kind of over the top, loud movies bring in the masses and I think SRK wanted that one mass hit. why I don't know because he has given so many Blockbusters. Like you said I too feel he is too HUGE for this.
    But if SRK is happy I am happy :)

iamsrk says thanks.
  10. Karan#1

He needed a big hit. Imo this film isn't too OTT and loud compared to some other masala films. It's a wrong perception to think only such films work big, any film with universal appeal and good content will work big - look at 3 idiots and YJHD in recent years. It's the content that let ra1 and jthj (as well as the clash) down rather than the types of films they were or else they would have been big as well.

Baree says thanks.
  11. Baree

Baree Shah Rukh Khan forever

yes...I agree. content matters. jtjh was really weak in that area

12. Sofie

Sofie Well-Known Member

Yes agree with you with SRK's performance! He's really too good in this role. He got everyone in splits with his performance and seems to have a great time playing the character.:D I can name many but his perfect comic timing esp. in scenes on the train in the 1st half are totally hilarious!:pound:

13. Manikanta

Manikanta Well-Known Member

Finally watched chennai express today...it was entertaining...SRK's comic timing was pretty good...:)

Dream sequence of tere rasta song was not there in the movie....a bit disappointed...