1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai Express review

Discussion in 'Chennai Express Member Reviews' started by Mara, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

The movie was an absolute delight from beginning to end. However, as a non-Hindi speaking person, I had trouble with how they did the English subtitles. I don’t think I’m revealing any spoilers in my suggestions.

Most important, the songs (as usual) didn't have subtitles, and this was critical. Why do they do this?! The songs in Hindi movies usually advance the plot in a particular direction and it’s very important to know what the people are singing to each other. One song especially in CI is pivotal in the plot in terms of Rahul’s character transformation. (And he really needed transforming.) If you are taking people who are new to Hindi cinema, it would be helpful to show them the music videos with subtitles on YouTube before they see the film.

The second problem was that they translated both the Tamil and Hindi, so Rahul’s confusion as he made his way through the movie couldn't be appreciated. Not a big deal, but a lot of the suspense in the movie is lost.

The last problem was that the subtitles were so low, the bottom parts of the letters g, y, and p were cut off. I complained to the theater manager when I saw that happening on just one of the previews before the show. She came and watched the film briefly, but no changes were made. Perhaps that’s a theater problem, but I've only had that happen once before in all my years of subtitle watching.

That said, I can’t wait to see the movie again and was so excited it was hard to sleep last night.

Alenka, Xeny and rubyroo thank this.
  2. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I could tell the difference between the two languages by listening carefully but still I did lag in my understanding of the humor in Rahul's confused reactions to what people were saying. I need to see this one a few more times to appreciate more of what was in it.

Mara and MaryAnnK thank this.
  3. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. It was moving to fast to catch everything at my speed!
    definitely need to watch this a few more times!! (Not that that is a problem! ;)

rubyroo and Mara thank this.
  4. Baree

Baree Shah Rukh Khan forever

Mara/ Debbie- this was the main complaint from most people all over the globe- from Australia, Europe, and Americas. They said they loved the movie but were really disappointed that the songs were not subtitled.

MaryAnnK, Debbie and Mara thank this.