1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai Express Movie Marathon Thoughts

Discussion in 'Chennai Express Member Reviews' started by MaryAnnK, Aug 6, 2013.

1. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

I have been reading reviews and comments about Chennai Express. Of course it got "mixed reviews" since it is a masala film by Rohit Shetty with Shah Rukh Khan in it. So round up the usual suspects...

-Incohesive plot, improbable situations, plot holes etc. It's a Hindi masala film duh...If you expect not to see these things you are at the wrong movie. I personally found non of the improbabilities troubling as I did a little bit in MNIK and JTHJ, since I had different expectations from those more serious movies. I only found myself saying "wait, what?" a couple times which is not too bad. I am hoping a few things will make more sense on my second viewing. I thought the story chugged along just fine, each development explained at least somewhat effectively by what went before.

-Lack of content and substance. Again a masala film doesn't really have less content, just different. As usual I manage to see more substance and thoughtfulness behind it all than most of the critics. I have to see it again to really have my thoughts gel in this area though.

-Not as good as Rohit Shetty's previous films and it's Shah Rukh's fault. I have heard a little about Rohit Shetty movies and if Shah Rukh is to blame for a difference in this one, thank you Shah Rukh. I was a little worried I would see some offensive content, being a rather sensitive viewer, but this movie is clean as a whistle at least from my perspective. (If there was anything that would be offensive to ethnic groups of India, they didn't jump out at me but I'm not from India.) I had no regrets about taking either myself or my 9 year old grand daughter to see it. Emma was a teensie bit upset that Shah Rukh took a beating but we should all be used to that by now. I dislike violence but I am becoming habituated to it after watching all his movies and I have even become a connoseur of fight scenes. I thought the main one in CE was a little bit long but quite awesome.

-Shah Rukh overacted. I never notice if he is overacting so can't give an opinion on that. I just see him as being lively, bigger than life, theatrical, and energetic. None of that is bad to me. Sometimes he does deviate a little too much into silliness but I always forgive him and I didn't see that in this movie.

-He is getting old. Au contrair. He looked gorgeous in this movie and was a good match for Deepika. I think he looks younger in this movie than in some of his other recent ones. He is playing just the age I want to see him play not trying to seem a lot younger than he is (and I do consider him to be quite young for his age.) This movie is a good one in his gradual and graceful progression from baby Shah Rukh into the mature but still highly attractive man he actually is at this point in his life. Cute Shah Rukh expressions abound in this movie, especially plenty of lip biting. :)

-Shah Rukh did this role because he is a desperate superstar who is trying desperately to hang onto his stardom. I was amused that some don't like him in CE because he plays a weak man who is constantly looking to the heroine to rescue him while praising Deepika for playing a strong character. I saw the same thing with Devdas where he was criticised for the cowardice of his character while Madhuri was praised because her character was admirable. In both cases Shah Rukh talked about his character's flaws. (He has already said he plays a wimp in Chennai Express.) Rahul is in fact an antihero in CE. (an anti hero is a protagonist who is... well...not heroic.) Rather than showing desperation he is showing his professionalism in helping to make his costar look her best and his skill as an actor in making his character believable. It shows that rather than being desperate he is comfortable where he is and unafraid to do something different in his career. He has only played an anti hero a few other times and that was mostly in his younger days and in totally different kinds of movies. (Devdas was also an anti hero as was Bablu in Duplicate. Oh also Shankar in RaOne) I think anti hero roles are good for Shah Rukh to do because he so easily makes us feel sympathy and love for a flawed character. It also can give the opportunity to show the character grow and mature throughout the movie. I can't really say how well he did with this in CE. I have to watch it again to see. I was too busy laughing and enjoying his handsomeness to catch all that in my first viewing.

2. rubyroo

Just saw it again at a little theater that only shows Hindi films. This time there was an intermission. Yay! After the second time we love it even more. Boo to the negative reviews. I think honestly that this is a perfect movie. I wouldn't change a single thing about it. Emma age 9: favorite dialogue: (in her words) "Tangaballi don't come any closer I'll keeek you!" Her favorite song is still 1-2-3-4.

MaryAnnK, Baree, Alenka and 2 others thanked this.
  3. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

Please post your personal reviews in separate threads, don't use this thread.

4. rubyroo

I don't understand. This is a movie marathon thread.
    (Connected with MaryAnn's movie marathon. http://www.planetsrk.com/community/threads/movie-marathon.26608/ )
    We have a movie marathon thread for each movie and we always write our thoughts about the movie in it.

5. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

it got confusing for other members and they started posting their reviews here, so I had to move them and make separate threads for each. so one can post their thoughts of what's going on with CE here, but as a review, please make a separate thread.

Mara and rubyroo thank this.
  6. rubyroo

Ok. :)

7. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Regular movie reviews carry their own threads. This one is just for the films on the "list" as they come up! That's all. Nothing serious here. Thanks, Wafa didi!

rubyroo says thanks.