1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai Express Movie Marathon Thoughts

Discussion in 'Chennai Express Member Reviews' started by MaryAnnK, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Wafa

Wafa I want my Mom!!!

Mara, you are in LA???? where about? and is there a link to the above release info? I think I am going to watch it in everyone of those cities!! you guys had no idea what I had to do to take a day off Friday so I can watch the movie!! Don't ask! Khaaaaant wait...Getting on the train NOW baby!

rubyroo and Mara thank this.
  2. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Wafa, yes. I’m in Altadena, just north of Pasadena. Where are you? You don’t have to wait until Friday. It’s playing at the AMC Covina 30 at 7:00 Thursday night, just south of the Foothill Freeway around 8 big blocks. I already bought my ticket on line, am plotting a surface street route in case of freeway gridlock.
    I was also going to see it with my son Friday, first show in Arcadia. It turns out the national listings were wrong and they aren't showing it. But Burbank AMC Town Center 8 has an 11:00 AM show Friday, so we'll go there. Saturday and Sunday shows are still open.
    I used Google: "Chennai Express showtimes Los Angeles" and pulled up some national websites like AMC's that gave local listings but they weren't completely accurate. I get better Google showtime results when I search the day I want to see the film, probably after midnight tonight. Perhaps the national company committed to showing the film, and the local theaters declined.
    Here's one link I found with listings that seem to be accurate: http://mycity.sulekha.com/chennai-e...owtimes-tkts_in_los-angeles-metro-area_333815 It doesn't list the 7:00 Thursday show in Covina, but I just called the theater and was told that it was going to be shown Thursday.

3. Baree

Baree Shah Rukh Khan forever

Thank you all for sharing. it's really exciting to see how people all over the world are sharing the same excitement.... Lovely feeling
    Debbie have an awesome time with your grandson. Btw I know one more person who is going to watch it in Tampa-Mae Meade. I think she may be planetsrk member too. Not sure though.

Debbie and rubyroo thank this.
  4. lybeckham

lybeckham SRK- my HERO

when everyone is talking their tickets & movie, i still have no clue that CE will be on one of our cinemas or not .. :( i'm so disappointed!
    i wish i'm rich enough to go India and watch the movie first day first show.. or i wish ppl in my country are crazy to India cinema than they do to S.Korea,
    it's normal that every SRK movie release on our cinema later than India date but i'm glad to the point that his films will b on cinema for sure.. but when the first time they show bollywood film the same date with India was ETT.. i hate it.. :argue:
    ---------
    hmm for now..just anxious about the critics, and first day collection..:behindsofa: just wish they went very well...

MaryAnnK, Mara and Xeny thank this.
  5. srkjuhi

srkjuhi Well-Known Member

Down with viral fever :( Want to catch it over the weekened so really hoping I get better soon!

MaryAnnK, Mara and Xeny thank this.
  6. Xeny

Xeny ❤️‍ ART

For me it's a third year of a sad and the sadder period, when the movie release. Can't go to Germany and they don't show it here in ČR . :Cry:
    Special thanks to Anke, who tried to take me out to Berlin...but...
    sO happy for all you guys!!!! do spread the love, all around the world, watching CE! :grouphug: :heart:

phul, rubyroo and lybeckham thank this.
  7. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

awe sorry. Hope you get better fast!

srkjuhi says thanks.
  8. rubyroo

I dream of a huge theater party where all of us could see it together on the first day.

MaryAnnK, Baree, Debbie and 4 others thanked this.
  9. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Feel better soon. SRK is the best medicine around. I always enjoyed going to the theater to watch a movie if I could crawl out of bed when I was sick. I figured if I were going to lie around ill, it would be a lot more fun resting and healing at the movies. There are even face masks now to wear so you don't get anyone else sick.

srkjuhi says thanks.
  10. srkjuhi

srkjuhi Well-Known Member

Aww! You all are very kind.

11. Xeny

Xeny ❤️‍ ART

It would be such a joy really!!! :grouphug: and after the film we all should go around city and sing songs, hahaha :biggrin1:

MaryAnnK and Mara thank this.
  12. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

***Small Spoiler Alert ****
    Just got off the train baby and we had a great ride. Theater was almost full in Tampa FL on a Thursday night...people laughed a lot!
    Loved how they used music from songs from so many of Shah's movies....can't say more now. Have to just rest..........

MaryAnnK, Xeny, rubyroo and 1 other person say thanks.
  13. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Here in Los Angeles (Covina really) the theater was almost filled except for the first three rows in the front. I loved the jokes, the references to DDLJ . So funny. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. SRK was over the top, almost cartoon like in some places, but 'the role demanded it", as probably did the director. Deepika was excellent.

MaryAnnK and Xeny thank this.
  14. Baree

Baree Shah Rukh Khan forever

That would be fun!!!!!
    Oh dear...sure you cant go to Berlin or someplace else. do hope you get to see it.

Xeny says thanks.
  15. rubyroo

In Bellevue WA the theater was 3/4 full. We talked to some people there that thought more people will come on the weekend. Emma and I loved it and we are hoping to see it again tomorrow night. Shah Rukh is gorgeous in this movie.

Baree, MaryAnnK, Mara and 1 other person say thanks.
  16. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Well, I grabbed my husband at the last second yesterday, as soon as I saw that it was playing, and we drove to the theater for the 7 pm showing. Theater was about 3/4 full and we were the only Whites in there!! So fun to sit and laugh out loud with the crowd! I too loved the homage paid to multiple films/songs!!! The comedy was wonderful and Deepika and SRK was so good together! Will see it again because once will not be enough!

Baree and rubyroo thank this.
  17. rubyroo

Emma and I were the only non Indians at our showing as well. I sat next to an elderly woman and her family who were from Rajasthan which delighted me. I tried out a little of my Hindi on them- that was fun. I enjoyed being surrounded by the sound of soft voices speaking Hindi before the movie started. During the movie I could tell that the other people there understood the funny stuff in the movie better than I did. It was a lovely experience.

Mara, Xeny and MaryAnnK thank this.
  18. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Feel the same, loved it last night but know I will enjoy it more the 2nd and even 3rd time! Can't wait to see it again, am planning at least one more time this weekend and then we will see.

I also was disappointed that the songs did not have subs.....just don't get it. The songs are usually important to the story, so why leave off subs? Was really annoying.....actually just tweeted Rohit about it....in my opinion if you are going to subtitle a movie do it completely.....otherwise it's just frustrating to me...

MaryAnnK and Mara thank this.
  19. SRKluvver

SRKluvver Shabana

won't give a review more like reactions:

ok so just got back from the first day first show Friday 2:45pm at AMC theatres here in Vaughan and all I have to say is that OMG I LOVED CHENNAI EXPRESS... full on entertainer!!! :D Really enjoyed it... Thank You SHAHRUKH you were awesome and looked so damn good too!!! :heart:

I went alone since I had taken the day off my summer job and my 12 year old sister (who is my SRK movie buddy) wasn't sure she was interested after watching promos! :crazy: Also there was only about 10 other people in the theatre (normal though) who had come together... we were all laughing the whole time, the kids really seemed to love it! :)

There were subtitles for the Tamil as well as Hindi parts here but I did wish there was less Tamil dialogue since I really don't like subtitles I get distracted! Though it did provide many comic moments lol

In all honestly, when I heard ShahRukh was going to be in a Rohit Shetty movie I was terrified since I really don't like those type of movies at all :eek: but after watching the promos/songs I knew this was gonna be great (hoped it had a good story too) and was looking forward to a lighthearted entertainer from ShahRukh... CHENNAI EXPRESS was even better than I thought it was gonna be, perfect mix of everything! :rofl: I really enjoyed myself the whole time and was so glad that the ShahRukh and Deepika really were there as main characters on screen the whole movie! They are gorgeous together, love them (Deepika was great too but not as good as our ShahRukh! lol) :love:

loved the DDLJ moments and communications through songs too... there are soo many things I loved about this movie so basically the whole thing, there was never a dull moment! :D SHAHRUKH WAS TOO GOOD!!! He looked amazing and loved his style :faint: I really thought it was cute when he was trying to charm Deepika when he first met her on the train and also when Shah would get angry at the goons then his voice would turn so funny! I thought the romantic and action parts were also well done since they never dragged for me though the comedy throughout the whole movie was amazing and brilliantly well done! :clap2: LOVED all the songs thought they fit perfectly, wish they were shown for longer in the movie though?! :confused:

ok thats all I remember now so I just wanna agree with others and really loved that we had a simple fun family type comedy from ShahRukh after a long time.... can't wait to watch it again!!! :D

MaryAnnK, rubyroo and Mara thank this.
  20. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that CI was dubbed into a number of different languages. Here there were short sentences throughout the movie in English. Where those parts the dubbed parts, which would be in the native language of the country where the movie was shown? Or was it in Hindi, Tamil and English in other countries such as Peru?
    I saw the movie two more times yesterday and have never hear an audience laugh so much in my life. No one cared if SRK's acting was "over the top". It worked. The jokes and humor kept everyone entertained.
    Deepika's role was truly heroic. I've been reading The Heroine's Journey by Murdock, which contrasts a woman's psychological development toward wholeness with Campbell's The Hero's Journey. The typical hero has to rush around, battle bad guys, and rescue the helpless "damsel in distress". In CI, Deepika has to constantly rescue the "dude in distress", often literally, inspiring him to eventually find the hero within himself. They work together finally to save each other. Loved it!

MaryAnnK and rubyroo thank this.