1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Chak De India Movie Marathon

Discussion in 'Chak De India' started by MaryAnnK, Feb 2, 2013.

1. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Here you go!

2. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

My thoughts on Chak De India.

Contains Spoilers...

This movie is unique among all the movies Shah Rukh is the star of because in it he does not fall in love. Even in the Don movies he had a girlfriend and even sorta fell in love with Roma. However, it was very well done that such things were left out of this movie altogether. The emphasis was properly kept on the girls of the hockey team. I was impressed that with such a large group of girls, each one of them had a distinct personality and an important role to play in the movie. It was fun to see so many of the different ethnic groups of India represented. I liked how the biggest obstacle to overcome was not their skill or ability as athletes but their lack of cohesiveness as a team. This made their success in the tournament believable in view of the hard work and careful training they put in under Kabir's capable leadership. It also gave opportunity for continued suspense as the conflicts were not fully resolved until the very end. I have watched it several times now but I still get excited watching the final matches as though I didn't know what is coming.

Although the emphasis of the movie was on the hockey team, Shah Rukh had ample opportunity to develop the character he played in the film. Kabir was admirable in how he coped with the tragedy of his life and how he found a way to regain the respect of his countrymen which he had lost so undeservedly. It was nice that Shah Rukh had a chance as Kabir to highlight the admiration and love he feels for women in real life. His interactions with the girls were made especially realistic and fine in view of this.

The women in the movie did a great job, especially Shilpa Shukla who played Bindya. Though she was the team's best player she had a super bad attitude and held out against Kabir's influence until the bitter end. Shah Rukh was darling in the scene where he went to talk her into preserving the team's final hope of victory. He pulled out one of his cutest dimpled smiles and you could just see him turning on the charm.

3. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Yay! and thank you! I have such a habit of commenting in the Movie Marathon threads that I feel lost without them!

MaryAnnK says thanks.
  4. Journey95

Journey95 Guest

Wow what a movie. This is one of the most motivational & inspirational movies I have seen.

SRK easily gives one of his best performances as Kabhir Khan. His character was so different from the others he has played. There was no romance, no typical songs, no typical charming SRK etc. and as much as I like him that way its important that he keeps taking challenging roles that dont fit his typical style.

His character was really likable, I found it horrible how people treated him but thats how it often goes. Glad he got his honor back at the end & could live in his old house again.

Kind of scary how some of this actually happened to SRK in real life (just last year because of the comments he made, a lot of indians called him a traitor and that he should go & live in Pakistan etc. all stuff that must have hurt).

The girls overall did a great job, in a sports movie like this its important that you root for the team. SRK as Kabhir obviously had all my sympathies but even if it was another trainer I wanted the girls to win. I liked how they developed a bond as the movie progressed.

Vidya was always nice & I feel like she was on his side from the beginning, deserved to be captain. Bindya on the other hand was insufferable for a large portion of the movie but important for her development I suppose. And I also liked Preiti and Komal and how their conflict was resolved, the former's boyfriend was quite insulting and I'm glad she dumped his ass.

9.5/10. I think some of the girls could have been fleshed out more but thats just a minor complaint.