Calling all Non-Desi fans! Need help with research survey

Discussion in 'Member Masala' started by Mredlich, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Mredlich

Mredlich New Member

Hi! I need help! I am writing a Masters thesis on non-Indian fans of Indian film, and I am hoping my fellow SRK fans will be able to help me out. The basic 15 questions I am asking everyone are at the bottom of this post, so you have some idea of what I am looking for. If you are willing to participate, or if you have any questions for me about any of this, you can send me an email at mredlich.depaul [a] gmail.com or respond to this post, I'll be checking it regularly.

(and even if you don't respond, thanks for listening and participating in this community! I've never posted before, but I've spent many happy hours reading through the forums!)

Demographic information

1. In what country do you live?

2. How old are you?

3. What is your gender?

4. Do you have children?

5. What is your ethnic identity?

6. What is the highest level of schooling you have had?

History with Indian film

1. How did you find Bollywood film?

2. What was the first movie you saw?

3. Why do you like it/what appealed to you?

4. Have you in turn introduced Hindi films to others?

Personal tastes

1. Who is your favorite movie star?

2. Why do you like them better than others?

3. What is your favorite movie of theirs and why?

General Questions

1. Why do you think Indian films do [what you like about Indian film] better than other film industries?

2. Do you prefer the term Bollywood, Hi-Fi, Hindi Film, Bombay film industry or Indian film?

Dear guest,

PlanetSRK is one of the largest ShahRukh Khan communities in the world.
    Please support us by registering for free!
    Just click the signup button at the top!

Thanks,

PlanetSRK Staff

3. tasifa

tasifa which means Blue Eyes in Thai.

1. In what country do you live? Canada

2. How old are you? 49

3. What is your gender? Female

4. Do you have children? No

5. What is your ethnic identity? Canadian

6. What is the highest level of schooling you have had? College

History with Indian film

1. How did you find Bollywood film? I visited India for a month. Went to a cinema in Jaipur. No subtitles, but great fun.

2. What was the first movie you saw? Patha Poster Nikhla Hero, with Shahid Kapoor. Didn't know any indian actors at that time.Went back home and watched all his movies.

3. Why do you like it/what appealed to you? At first how colorful and fun even when there was drama. Now I'm only drawn to Shahrukh's movies. Will watch others when I have spare time from Shahrukh. lol

4. Have you in turn introduced Hindi films to others? Tried to but none of my friends like movies with subtitles.

Personal tastes

1. Who is your favorite movie star? Shahrukh Khan has eclipsed any star I've ever liked.

2. Why do you like them better than others? It can't be rationalized really. Aside from being gorgeous, great at acting, versatile, extremely intelligent and witty, honest and charming, he is an exceptional human being, It goes way beyond only movies.

3. What is your favorite movie of theirs and why? K3G because it's the first movie where I discovered him. But I love all his movies, because he is in it.

General Questions

1. Why do you think Indian films do [what you like about Indian film] better than other film industries? It's a great mix of drama, comedy, music. It is the perfect escapism and you often have to suspend disbelief. As a lover of India, I love how they include landmarks of the country in their movies.

2. Do you prefer the term Bollywood, Hi-Fi, Hindi Film, Bombay film industry or Indian film? I don't really mind. I would rename it Shahrukhwood if I could. lol.

Mara says thanks.
  4. Mredlich

Mredlich New Member

Thank you thank you! A couple of follow-up questions for you. First, you said you found Bollywood through visiting India and you like that the films include Indian landmarks. Do you have a connection to India outside of the films? Oh, and you said that Shahrukh is not only a great actor but a great human being. I agree of course! But I am wondering if you could give a little more detail as to why you think so?

5. tasifa

When I watch Indian films, I can spot places. I've been to Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi, the Indian Gate in Delhi, Red Fort, and so many other landmarks. When they show the Tahj Mahal, I've walked on its marble floor. I passed the gates. So I feel a closer connection with the movie, because it's not just a foreing place, it resonates with how I feel about India. I've never felt that with Hollywood movies and god knows that I've traveled the USA ad nauseam. I plan of going back and visiting the south bcause I've been to the north. I kept in touch with my guide Jay.

All previous actors I've liked, I've never been interested in their personnal lives. But Shahrukh intrigued me from the beginning. It is absolutely rare to find an actor that everybody agrees that he is the nicest co actor you can have. They all praise his generosity and attentiveness. Everybody who have work with him have only good things to say about him. And then watching interviews, reading about him, you can't help feeling that more than an actor, he is really really a good person. He comes as arrogant sometimes, but then he is so humble when it comes to what really matters. A friend of mine said that he was arrogantly humble. lol He takes the responsibility of failure but share the credit of success.The qualities he possess are appealing to me . It's just something i feel. I don't really want to analize it.

Hope it answered your questions. Don't hesitate if you need anything else.

Mara says thanks.
  6. Debbie

Debbie Stand By Him

Demographic information

1. In what country do you live? United States

2. How old are you? 60

4. Do you have children? Yes

5. What is your ethnic identity? Caucasian

6. What is the highest level of schooling you have had? Some College

History with Indian film

1. How did you find Bollywood film? I have always liked all foreign films.

2. What was the first movie you saw? So long ago, I cannot remember

3. Why do you like it/what appealed to you? The music, colors and stories.

4. Have you in turn introduced Hindi films to others? Yes

Personal tastes

1. Who is your favorite movie star? Shah Rukh Khan

2. Why do you like them better than others? He is very diversified as an actor. And is very, very good at it...And his movies seem to hit home to me...and of course the man himself is a wonderful human. I do like and watch other actors though.

3. What is your favorite movie of theirs and why? Hard, almost impossible to answer, but if I had to take only one to a deserted island I guess I would pick Devdas or Veer/Zaara....see what I mean, love them all really.

General Questions

1. Why do you think Indian films do [what you like about Indian film] better than other film industries? The family connections, and the fact that they show love is so important in our lives.

2. Do you prefer the term Bollywood, Hi-Fi, Hindi Film, Bombay film industry or Indian film? Never thought about it but guess Indian Films...

Mara says thanks.
  7. Alenka

Alenka Well-Known Member

Demographic information

1. In what country do you live? Russia

2. How old are you? 51

3. What is your gender? women

4. Do you have children? yes

5. What is your ethnic identity? Russian

6. What is the highest level of schooling you have had? Kiev Institute of Civil Aviation

History with Indian film

1. How did you find Bollywood film? I always knew about them, but in his youth thought Indian films too melodramatic and naive.

2. What was the first movie you saw? "Seeta Aur Geeta" (I think)

3. Why do you like it/what appealed to you? I can not say about the childhood experiences, but now I have found in Indian films that have long since lost the other film industry-soul.

4. Have you in turn introduced Hindi films to others? Yes, I showed them to my friends, some of them watched with great pleasure.
    Personal tastes

1. Who is your favorite movie star? Shahrukh Khan

2. Why do you like them better than others? He is the only actor who interesting to me, not only on the screen, but also outside it. Еxcept that he is a great actor, he is also a very good man and his attitude towards life coincide with mine.

3. What is your favorite movie of theirs and why? I can not answer this question, so I will answer with the same words as the SRK " always next"

General Questions

1. Why do you think Indian films do [what you like about Indian film] better than other film industries? As I said, I found the soul in Indian cinema, which had lost almost all other movie industry.

2. Do you prefer the term Bollywood, Hi-Fi, Hindi Film, Bombay film industry or Indian film? Indian film

Mara says thanks.
  8. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

Romania

2. How old are you?

23 (as of today :biggrin1: )

3. What is your gender?

female

4. Do you have children?

no

romanian

currently student in medical school

History with Indian film

through Shahrukh

Kabhi Khushi Khabhie Gham

other that the obvious SRK factor, if fell in love with the culture portrayed through the movie

yes, many others

Personal tastes

Shahrukh

this is a difficult question. i like him as a human being first and foremost

i don't have a favorite. i have a top 5, and that was hard enough haha

General Questions

1. Why do you think Indian films do [what you like about Indian film] better than other film industries?

they can literally make you forget about all your worries for ~2.5 hours. it's a form of entertainment like none other

2. Do you prefer the term Bollywood, Hi-Fi, Hindi Film, Bombay film industry or Indian film?

hindi film

Mara and rubyroo thank this.
  9. MaryAnnK

MaryAnnK Well-Known Member

Indian Cinema!

10. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

Happy birthday,Dea!

Mara and Dea thank this.
  11. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

thaaaanks Theresa! :kiss:

rubyroo says thanks.
  12. rubyroo

rubyroo Art student. Inspired by him.

1. In what country do you live? USA

2. How old are you? 60

3. What is your gender? F

4. Do you have children? Yes

5. What is your ethnic identity? Of European descent.

6. What is the highest level of schooling you have had? College

History with Indian film

I had heard of them for a long time and was curious. I found out there were lots of them available on Netflix. Without Netflix I would have missed the opportunity to discover them. The first Hindi film I saw was Mangal Pandey: The Uprising. Then Hum Tum and Marigold. The first Shah Rukh movie I saw was My Name Is Khan.

Mangal Pandey: The Uprising

The exuberance and joyfulness. I loved from the start the practice of always having songs and dancing. I was impressed by the beauty and charisma of the actors as well. I also love the innocence of these movies, especially the earlier ones.

I have tried without much success.

Personal tastes

Shah Rukh. Since I discovered him, his movies are almost the only ones I watch. He is my most favorite of all movie stars.

I find his look extremely appealing. More importantly, I always will love the way his charming and endearing personality shines through even as he successfully portrays a great diversity of characters.

I love all of Shah Rukh's movies though not equally. I can't really choose a top favorite, but I do think Devdas is his most beautiful and perfect movie.

General Questions

I rejoice in everything that makes them unique. I love the Hindi language, I appreciate all the cultural nuances even if I sometimes disagree with the point of view they express. I love the colorfulness and artistry I usually see. Even though they are often derivative and borrow freely from Western cinema, there is usually a freshness, creativity, and faithfulness to Indian traditions and sensibilities that I find very appealing.

I could not bear to dispense with even the things that are often called flaws such as the length, the many songs and dances, and the masala film custom of attempting to put in something for everyone.

There is also an elusive idealistic quality that is usually present which I value greatly. It encompasses a faithfulness to the finest values in life: love and devotion to family, honesty and justice, faith in true love, romance, love of beauty in all its forms, and reverence for religious beliefs. I don't say that these qualities are always perfectly adhered to, but more so than in most Hollywood films.

In my opinion, "Hindi Film" is the most accurate name for them.

Mara and tasifa thank this.
  13. tasifa

I totally agree with you. Very well developped, you expressed what I couldn't say. Thanks.

rubyroo and Mara thank this.
  14. darina4srk

darina4srk SRKManiac

I'll be happy to do this Margaret! When's the dateline? As I have work to do now, can I do it later after a few hours maybe? ;)

15. rollercoast

rollercoast Zindagi

Would you like to tell us a little more about your thesis Margaret?

16. Rishima62

Rishima62 Defying Gravity

Demographic information

Austria, Europe
    2. How old are you?
    3. What is your gender?
    female
    4. Do you have children?
    nope
    Austrian
    College
    History with Indian film

German TV Channel showed K3G – and I was hooked immediatley

K3G
    Well – the intensity of SRK acting, the music
    Oh yes! With success

Personal tastes

Shah Rukh Khan
    He can act, he reaches my heart, soul, brain – everything. Well I can’t really find the right words for it.
    Hard to decide – can’t mention only one movie
    General Questions

Nothing is better – the movies are different and transport another feeling
    Hindi film

Mara says thanks.
  17. cmreeves

cmreeves Well-Known Member

Demographic information

1. In what country do you live? USA

2. How old are you? 36

4. Do you have children? it's complicated.

5. What is your ethnic identity? Gori, White girl... What we in the US call Caucasian even though it has nothing to do with the Caucases.

6. What is the highest level of schooling you have had? Bachelor of Arts degree.

History with Indian film

1. How did you find Bollywood film? First exposure was while in Africa, though it didn't excite me at the time. Then via Philadelphia public access tv playing the song sequences, I saw Shah Rukh and wanted to find out more, so looked him up and watched one of his films, and I was hooked.

2. What was the first movie you saw? I don't know which film it was on tv in Africa, but my first film watching all the way through was Asoka.

3. Why do you like it/what appealed to you? The joy, the passion, and the romance.

4. Have you in turn introduced Hindi films to others? That's difficult here. People have strong preconceived notions of what "Bollywood" is and it's not very accurate or flattering, so even getting them to agree can be a challenge.

Personal tastes

1. Who is your favorite movie star? Shah Rukh

2. Why do you like them better than others? He has a spark, an energy, about him that draws me. The joy he gets from acting comes through in the films.

3. What is your favorite movie of theirs and why? I tend to like the smaller feeling films more, like Swades, Chak De India, Asoka, etc. But I also enjoy romance, and the occasional masala film. I enjoy variety.

General Questions

1. Why do you think Indian films do [what you like about Indian film] better than other film industries? The Hindi films I enjoy still have heart. They haven't become only about how much business they can get. They're not looking at the audience and saying this will appeal to the 16-29 yr old male audience because that's where all the money comes from, and leaving everyone else out. There is a sense of film as business, but it hasn't overtaken creativity completely. Having said that, I still enjoy movies from other film industries, at times, also.

2. Do you prefer the term Bollywood, Hi-Fi, Hindi Film, Bombay film industry or Indian film?[/quote] I like Hindi film, but for the sake of easy understanding I will use the term Bollywood, too (as that's the term people around here are familiar with).

Mara says thanks.
  18. Mredlich

Mredlich New Member

Thank you! The deadline is weeks away, I wanted to allow plenty of time so I could get as many responses as possible!

19. Mredlich

Mredlich New Member

Sure! I'm studying non-Indian fans of Bollywood. As you might be able to guess from my questions, I'm trying to establish where/how the films have spread around the world, what is appealing cross-culturally, and how fans relate to them. I'm in the Media and Cinema Studies program at DePaul University, so I'm coming at this from a media theory angle. That is, not looking so much at the quality or content of the media, but as to how it interacts with the audience (although I personally think Hindi films are some of the best in the world).

I'm trying to fill a gap, because I don't think there has really been a cohesive study of fans before. Scholars have done like focus groups or one on one interviews, but not a sort of massive global outreach, which is what I am trying to do here.

Also, this isn't part of the official survey, but if you know of other places on or offline where I could look for respondents, please let me know!

And please feel free to pass my email around to anyone else you know who may not have seen this forum!

20. Mredlich

Mredlich New Member

Thank you again for your responses! I have finally finished the research phase and am moving into actually analyzing data. I posted my initial results and analysis online, so everyone who participated can see the results. If you are interested, you can check them out at "thesisresultsbollywoodfans.wordpress[dot]com".

Also, while I'm not taking any more responses, I am still looking for help interpreting. If you disagree with any of my conclusions or think I am missing something, please let me know! You've all thought about these things a lot, and I actually trust your judgement as to if I am on the right track more than my advisers.

Margaret

21. Mredlich

Mredlich New Member

Thanks again to everyone who helped, I have now successfully defended my thesis and graduated, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Which gives me lots more time to watch and read about and think about Indian movies. Because I have so much more time, and partly inspired by all the wonderful responses I got from folks here, I went ahead and started a blog that talks about what I care about and what, at least based on my research, I think other people care about as well! https://dontcallitbollywood.wordpress.com/

I hope you will check it out and enjoy it! And let me know if you disagree with me or want me to cover or talk about something different, or any opinion at all!

rollercoast says thanks.