1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing laughter into homes

Discussion in 'Ghar Ki Baat Hai' started by Bridget, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Bringing laughter into homes
    Deccan Herald, India

Shahrukh Khan tells Srabanti Chakrabarti that he decided to produce television sit com 'Ghar Ki Baat Hai' since comedy happens to be his favourite genre.

[​IMG]
    Model-turned-actress Neha Dhupia had once commented that in Bollywood, only sex and Shahrukh Khan sell. Considering her statement and the current state of affairs in the Indian television industry where most serials are dying an unnatural death, Shahrukh’s entry (albeit as a producer) may give a fresh lease of life to the struggling industry. His production company Red Chillies Entertainment is producing a new show Ghar Ki Baat Hai which is less than a week old, being telecast on NDTV Imagine every Friday to Sunday at 9:30 pm. Going by the initial responses from the audience and rating agencies, this may go on to become a long-running show.

Ghar Ki Baat Hai is a sit com which draws its inspiration from the 80s superhit Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi. “I wouldn’t call it a copy of Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi. There are so many serials that draw their inspiration from foreign serials and shows and qualify as carbon copies. We have just drawn the characters on similar lines. You won’t find any scenes or episodes common. This is more of a tribute to Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi,” says Shahrukh when asked whether Ghar Ki Baat Hai takes off where Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi left or not.

Ghar Ki Baat has many firsts to its credit, including being a launchpad for Juhi Babbar, daughter of Raj and Nadira Babbar. The serial also stars Sumeet Raghavan, Swapnil Joshi and Jayati Bhatia. This new situational comedy series revolves around the hilarious circumstances and events that take place in the lives of the Yagnik family.

Bringing a big smile to your face is Rajdeep and Radhika Yagnik, (played by Sumeet Raghavan & Juhi Babbar) who live in Mumbai with Radhika’s unemployed brother Kapil Kumar (played by Swapnil Joshi) aka Kaku. Apart from dealing with his everyday problems, Rajdeep is constantly put into one-up situations with his incompetent brother in-law forcing his wife to play the mediator in this constant fight between the two!

But why suddenly a comedy at a time when so many big serials have failed? Very few sitcoms have succeeded in Indian television. The King of Bollywood says, “Comedy is my favourite genre and I wanted to make a simple show for television seeing which everyone would laugh. About comedy being a risky venture, I agree that not too many sitcoms have been successful on Indian television, but it is also true that after being in the industry for two decades, I can confidently say that this is a step in the right direction.” Shahrukh goes on defending his decision to produce a sitcom and says, “I have an extremely talented creative team who are capable of producing a good comedy show. I have full faith in them and everyone else associated with this show."

How far has his contribution been in the show? “I would not say that I have conceived the show, but I have given my inputs wherever possible and required. There are any surprise appearances from the film industry, where I’ve tried to help the team. Honestly speaking with a creative consultant of the caliber of Aziz Mirza and a director like Anant Mahadevan, I think there is precious little I can do,” explains Shahrukh with that famous twinkle-in-the-eyes! “Even the entire casting has been done by them. I did not want to and did not poke my nose where I did not need to.”

The television arm of Red Chillies Entertainment is called Red Chillies Idiot Box. Why such a name for such a prestigious production company? “I wanted to keep the entire mood light and informal. Which is why, instead of naming it Red Chillies Presentation or some such formal name, I thought of using something in a lighter vein,” says Shahrukh.

Now that two of his shows are running in parallel, does Shahrukh have bigger plans for television? “Well, I do not have a bank of shows or ideas! As I mentioned earlier, comedy is my favourite genre and I would like to do more comedy shows. But I would like to venture into other genres as well,” says the actor-cum-producer. Both of his shows are running in NDTV channels. Does that signify anything? “Not at all, my contract with Star is there till June. After that we will see,” says Shahrukh skirting the real question.

If and when he gets time, does he watch television? “Yes, of course I do! My favourite serial is 24, an action drama produced by Fox in the USA. I also like watching quiz-based reality shows and do nurse hopes of making one such show in the future,” explains Shahrukh.

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Feb82009/enter20090207117151.asp

2. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

i saw an episode of it last night and it was so funny! its a great show!

3. sheruka

sheruka SRK forever

Hope it will be a success for SRK and RC.

4. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

from what i heard it is and that the success will continue to grow! :cheer2:

5. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

never liked that show :tsk:

but i want to watch GKB! :cheer2:
    if only they'd show it for Middle East people :tsk:

6. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

lol Ru typical guy thing to watch the show its retty interesting actually ! :p

are indian cable channels offered in the middle east? dish network has great channels for indian TV programs you should check it out!

if thats not possible then maybe youtube has it! :Confused:

7. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

yeah yaar they do :tsk: but mom doesnt allow it :tsk: do not ask why, its a weird reason :tape2:

8. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

haha my mommy doesn't either! we just have one pakistani channel.
    i have NDTV on free preview right now!
    its ok Ru mommy's are always like that :crazy:
    :hug: :kiss:

tonight the first episode airs again
    yeay i only saw the end!