1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by sheruka, Aug 14, 2009.

1. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

Rumana yaaar!!
    i cant send you a msg on your page!!

2. f khan

f khan Farah Khan

What is wrong with them????? i dont understand these people....?????
    Us...... what to say about you.... GOD..........................................so damn annoying...

3. souad1

souad1 New Member

frankly i saw the video of john stewart, and i didn't feel at all that they were moking shahrukh, infact they were making fun of their officers,but who am i talking about? indians jurnalists/actors/directors... are the most unhumourious people on earth, they don't know what is a joke, they take everything too seriously,and i don't like this title at all!

4. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

US race row raises questions over Bollywood spin

In India's highly competitive Bollywood movie industry, any publicity is good publicity as studios battle to secure maximum exposure for their upcoming films.

Dozens of public relations firms have sprung up in recent years to promote movies and boost stars' profiles by feeding insatiable TV channels, magazines and newspapers with tidbits of gossip -- some of which might even be true.

But just how far such "spin" might be taken was brought into question recently after leading Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan, a Muslim, was questioned by immigration officials at a US airport.

India's media was filled for days with outrage at how Khan had been treated, and a public debate raged over the contentious issue of racial profiling, religious prejudice and attitudes to Indians when they travel abroad.

Amid the furore, some pointed out the coincidence that Khan -- popularly known as SRK -- had just completed a major film that deals with the experiences of Muslims in the United States after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Prabhat Choudhary, from the Mumbai marketing firm Spice, does not believe Khan's airport controversy was a set-up, but suggested it may have been used by the actor's advisers to generate pre-release interest.

"I'm aware of a lot of incidents that have been smartly or ruthlessly exploited," Choudhary told AFP.

"The kind of media which SRK got, it's helped the film for sure. This is the theme of 'My Name Is Khan' and in one stroke you've put out the theme of your film to so many people."

The storm of protest was so loud that the US ambassador to India even issued a statement describing Khan as a "global icon" who was a welcome guest in the United States.

SRK himself called a press conference on his return to Mumbai last week, and created further publicity by denying that his original complaint about being briefly held for questioning was an attempt to promote him or the film.

"I don't want to sound pompous," Khan told reporters. "But Shahrukh Khan doesn't need any publicity."

Choudhary and other Bollywood insiders say getting and keeping a star or film in the public eye is vital, as films need to be instant successes when they open.

"Any sort of buzz you can create to ensure that people are interested is the key thing," said Mayank Shekhar, cultural editor at The Hindustan Times.

"Everyone is trying every trick in the book, or even not in the book. Publicity stunts are just one of them," he told AFP.

The usual one is the leading pair in the film breaking up or getting together or perhaps getting married. But that's so common now it's passe."

For example, details of heartthrob Shahid Kapoor's real-life split from glamorous Kareena Kapoor emerged at the time of the release of their film "Jab We Met" (When We Met) in 2007.

In the same year, Abhishek Bachchan's engagement was announced to former Miss World Aishwarya Rai, also his co-star in the film "Guru".

Choudhary said the publicity campaigns were a reflection of the industry taking on tactics used in Hollywood since the 1940s -- with the added twist that today's audience is more aware of the media game.

With films judged either as flops or blockbusters, the stakes were high, he said.

One movie he helped promote -- "Ghajini" starring Aamir Khan -- took 400 million rupees (8.2 million dollars) in its opening weekend late last year, eight times as much as the average blockbuster even 10 years ago.

Many leading actors such as Shahrukh Khan and Aamir Khan, who both own production companies, are now more involved in marketing and can "spin" a situation to their advantage, he added.

While press officers and publicists bombard reporters with daily phone calls, text messages and emails, some observers fear that such efforts damage the quality and content of the coverage that readers receive.

Objective discussion of film is gradually disappearing, veteran Mumbai newspaper editor and commentator Kumar Ketkar, told AFP.

Instead, media outlets are filling pages and airtime with hype and spoon-fed gossip masquerading as news at the expense of weightier subjects.

"Readers and viewers have begun to learn that these are manufactured and that's why some films bomb at the box office," he warned.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gllKWp_Glti9ClRow6wao96bf4XQ

5. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

yeah wow, look at the way they wrote the damn article :suspicious:
    and then answer who's exploiting who here?
    stupid b******s :rant:

6. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

oh boy, this is never gonna stop until a few months from now:rant:
    stupid people:rant:

7. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Damn, I don't consider myself a particularly naive person, but this last artice... It's so cynical, it actually made me feel a bit sick. I mean, obviously they are mistaken about Shahrukh, but it's not just that. I have no idea (nor do I care) why for example Shahid and kareena broke up, but to claim this stuff, that they did it to promote a film. How sad and empty must your life be if you are so incapable of believing, that even the stars are people and they go through the same emotions and same important life experiences as all other human beings...

8. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

I agree with what you said Katja

9. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

SRK & AMAR SINGH ROW

The recent report of Bollywood's King Khan being frisked away by the American authorities for a routine security check-up there has created a furor in India. Every proud citizen is annoyed with the US behavior with a world famous India actor. However, many don't like to let it become a big deal between the two countries' relations. However, a rival politician like Amar Singh who is recuperating in Singapore after surgery making an adverse remark about SRK is also not in good taste. Amar Singh blamed SRK to turn the unfortunate event into a publicity gimmick to promote his film 'My Name Is Khan'. Shah Rukh retorts that he doesn't need it either for the film or himself

http://ww.smashits.com/news/bollywood/movie-talk/7515/ranbir-in-imtiaz-s-next.html

10. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

:doh: srk in the under world

8 or 9 months? :jaw:

11. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

war between SRK & amar now :rolleyes:
    what next :puke:

12. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

This chamcha, Amar Singh, what a H1N1! Shahrukh had said the right thing at the award function in 2007. He is like that but truth hurts.

And those who are saying it's a trick to gain publicity, PUHLEEZ! SHOOT YOURSELVES!

13. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

why all this drama...why..whats wrong with everyone :rant::boxing:

14. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

The Daily star
    Friday, August 28, 2009
    Shahrukh Khan

Nazmus Saquib, Dept. of English, Stamford University, Dhanmondi, DhakaIt is indeed shocking to know that Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan was detained for about two hours early at New York airport in the US because his surname featured on the most common list. The actor, who is visiting the US to attend a South Asian event where he was the guest of honour was released after Congress MP Rajiv Shukla spoke to the authorities in the US and the Indian consulate. The actor was detained after his name flashed on the computer. He was asked several questions about the purpose of his visit. His hand baggage was checked. He was not allowed to even make a phone call for nearly an hour. The actor tried his best but he could not convince the immigration officers. This was not the first incident of a Muslim being harassed by the US immigration officers. Previously former president of India APJ Abdul Kalam was also harassed in the same fashion. It is really unfair to judge Muslims in this way. Just because he has a common surname does not mean that every Muslim can be taken as a suspect or considered to be a terrorist.

The American authorities should adopt a methodology so that well-known people like Shahrukh Khan and APJ Abdul Kalam are not harassed like this in future. They should focus on getting the actual suspects, rather than harassing innocent people.PrintSendShareClipRate the story
    Awaiting reader response.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=103229

15. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

totally agree.the fact that they harass well known people like srk and kalam shows how much discrimination takes place

16. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

I totally agree!

17. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

no, not only "well-known" people.. everyone deserves to be treated EQUALLY, Muslim, Christian, Hindu.. whatever your religion is, you should not be stopped and detained for YOUR RELIGION!

YES!
    im sure with one fingerprint test, they could find out who is innocent and who isnt

18. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

After SRK episode, Salman Khan cancels US trip
    PTI 29 August 2009, 02:07am IST

Times of India

WASHINGTON: Learning lessons from Shah Rukh Khan episode, Bollywood star Salman Khan has cancelled his upcoming trip to New York to promote his
    latest movie "Wanted", besides participating in the auction of his personal paintings to raise funds for his charity.

Organisers and promoters associated with the event cited Shahrukh Khan's episode at Newark Airport early this month, where he was questioned by immigration officials and taken for a second screening, as a major reason for Salman to cancel his New York trip scheduled in early September.

The event was scheduled for September 3 in New York. The promoters were also in talks with local organisers in cities like Chicago, Houston and Dallas for his other events.

"However, after the Shahrukh Khan event, Salman informed us that he would not like to take the risk of coming to the US at this point," an informed source involved with the planning and organising the September 3 event told PTI.

It is understood that Salman's decision was also propelled by what his aid alleged "the hard time" being given by the US Consulate in Mumbai in approving the visa of his close associates, including one of his family members, whom Salman wanted to bring along with on this promotional trip.

Besides Salman Khan, producer Boney Kapoor, former Bollywood star, Sridevi and Prabhu Deva were also scheduled to attend the New York meeting.

Informed sources said following the Shahrukh episode, which attracted much media publicity in both India and the US, there is a sense of reluctance among local promoters and organisers of Bollywood events to risk inviting starts from Mumbai.

Shahrukh had alleged that he was detained and questioned at the airport for nearly two hours as his name popped up on the computer of the immigration counter.

He alleged that he was subject to questioning as his last name was Khan, a charge denied by the US Customs and Border Patrol.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-Khan-cancels-US-trip/articleshow/4946965.cms

19. JUG

JUG Well-Known Member

LOL...what happened..it's just routine...happens to everyone..so why scared now bastard???

20. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

such a coward..