1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by sheruka, Aug 14, 2009.

1. jg2k

jg2k The.One

Is this a new effort to finally link up Shah to the under-world too? What losers! :doh:

2. sheruka

sheruka SRK forever

Time of India is such a pathetic site with no logic.

then why they issued visa, why not questioned other stars who attend??LMAO

3. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

I hope it's their last way to cover up the real issue...they may be running out of ideas to promote their idiocracy or dumbiness.

Sometimes, it makes me think, are there more newspapers than truth?

4. Insiyah510

Insiyah510 I love @iamsrk

Why is India not developing?????:confused::rolleyes:
    Ans: Because of its local news papers! :crazy::tape2:

5. Janine

Janine Active Member

AW: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport

Why is he, or his management, selecting organizers like this ones. They dont are reliable and than his good reputation is harmed only because of that people.
    Also in Germany the organizer for Temptation reloated was not serious, and all the stuipid journos dont cover up the real issue.

6. Shabana_SRK

Shabana_SRK Dr D&G

i knw that many people have been angered by what happened last week with shahrukh and many people have looked negatively at the US and americans. we are not all bad a the majority of us really don't believe in all this discrimination and i was pleased to hear the president of the US wish us muslims a happy ramadan. i just thought i would share..not all americans are haters..this is an example :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4KfYuDrvU

7. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

This is from Variety, the #1 Hollywood trade publication for over 70 years

nternational
    Posted: Fri., Aug. 21, 2009, 5:19pm

Authority run-in is no publicity stunt

Bollywood thesp not tubthumping new Fox Asia film
    By SHALINI DORE

The trouble with being a star is that when your real-life run-in with the authorities echoes your new film, it’s hard to convince folks it’s not just a publicity stunt.

Indian superstar Shah Rukh Khan, known as "King" Khan to Bollywood fans, was pulled aside for questioning by U.S. immigration authorities on his arrival at Newark’s Liberty Intl. Airport on Aug. 14. Khan says he was "humiliated" by the interrogation.

U.S. customs said the questioning was routine but that since British Airways had lost his luggage, the effort was delayed unduly.

Khan’s plight was initially a rallying cry in India, with fans burning U.S. flags and effigies of President Obama. But the support dwindled a bit last week, with Khan fielding questions about whether he’d overreacted and comments about celebs expecting VIP treatment everywhere.At an Aug. 18 press conference in Mumbai, Khan was asked if the whole brouhaha was a stunt to tubthump his Fox Asia Studios’ pic, "My Name Is Khan," which is about a Muslim man’s travails in the U.S.

"I don’t want to sound pompous," Khan said. "But Shah Rukh Khan doesn’t need any publicity."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007600.html?categoryId=19&cs=1

8. Bridget

I didn't know really what tubthumping is (it's not a common slang term at all) so I looked it up. Here is what they said if others are interested:

Dictionary: tub-thump (tŭb'thŭmp')

Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionaryintr.v. Slang., -thumped, -thump·ing, -thumps.
    To argue for or promote something vigorously

9. bonita

bonita Shahrukh-My LOVE

of course he doesn't need to do something like this for "publicity," for is film and of course what happen was "no publicity stunt"

10. donshema

donshema SRK is my Family

That's right what he said, I saw the press conference "shah rukh khan doesn't need puplicity"

that's what we all said before.

11. Bridget

Sunil Sethi: The difficulty of being Khan
    There are thousands arguing about dozens of issues linked to Shah Rukh's hold-up in the US
    Sunil Sethi / New Delhi August 22, 2009, 0:04 IST

Business Standard

A brief daily skimming of the Net this week may amply convey the real difficulty of being Khan. If prefixed by Shahrukh and followed, in caps, by the letters US, what occurs is an eruption or amplification of the trouble the name spells in people’s hearts. You don’t have to enter “movie star” or “Muslim” or “detention” to make yourself better understood. The real problem you realise, as the barrage of opinions pour forth, is the forceful return of the argumentative Indian. Perhaps he wasn’t ever absent but there are now thousands arguing about dozens of issues linked to the Bollywood actor’s hold-up at an American airport last weekend. Some of the Internet and blog war may be out-of-hand and over-the-top but a good deal is highly educative and entertaining. No wonder the actor adroitly toned down initial anger and humiliation and sounded almost conciliatory on his return to Mumbai. “I think it’s a procedure that needs to be followed but an unfortunate procedure,” he said.

Out there in cyberspace, though, it’s not so simple. Apart from adding a new footnote in Indo-US relations, the debate has expanded to include such burning themes as pride vs prejudice, VIPs vs ordinary people, 9/11 vs 26/11, Hollywood vs Bollywood, Muslim vs non-Muslim and even Khan vs Khan. (The last concerns the long-standing rivalry between Salman Khan and SRK; Salman when asked about SRK’s detention, said: “It’s not such a big deal. It’s good that the country has such a tight set-up. That’s why there’s been no attack on America after 9/11.”)

There is the usual proportion (small) of outlandish opinion that aligns SRK’s brief ordeal with the persecutions that American policies have rained upon the people of Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. And there is another proportion (sizeable) on remarks made by cabinet ministers (Ambika Soni, Praful Patel) and film folk (Priyanka Chopra, Farah Khan) who condemn the detention, though cricketer Harbhajan Singh doesn’t: “Why such a fuss? This is a normal thing.” The Indian film industry’s IQ comes in for some sharp questioning apropos filmmaker and choreographer Farah Khan’s remark: “It is shocking that there is not a single Indian working at that US airport and they don’t know Shahrukh Khan. They could have Googled him.”

Here are some hot points of debate:

* Should the rich, famous and powerful be exempted from random selection checks when regular travellers suffer them? Indians share their experiences at the hands of US security and Indian Americans say how harassed and intimidated they feel at Indian airports. “Thousands of Americans and minorities are profiled and subjected to the same treatment in the US,” writes a blogger. “Indian ministers, actors and cricketers are so pampered at home they should periodically be sent to the US for a reality check,” says another.

* Is US immigration expected to know who SRK is? “No one forced him to come to the USA. So he won’t be back. I’m pretty sure America will survive without him. He can cry me a river,” reads a post. “The immigration officer did his job with the utmost perfection, regardless of the status of the passenger,” says another. “Tomorrow if a Mongolian superstar is detained at IGI airport you can’t blame the officer. After all, India is to America what Mongolia is to us.”

* Is it a country’s sovereign right to evolve and implement its own security procedure? “America has had no major terrorist hit since 9/11. We have had attacks on Parliament, serial bomb blasts killing hundreds and then 26/11. Instead of making SRK’s detention an issue, we should upgrade our security setup.” Another says: “I’m a blue-eyed Scandinavian American and I teach English in China. It may sound strange but I am more nervous of the US organs of security than of the Chinese.”

* As for American stars in India, here’s the best: “Frisk Brad Pitt when he lands in India next. Give Tom Cruise the same dose. Don’t spare Bill Clinton either.”

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/sunil-sethidifficultybeing-khan/367764/

12. shallu.

shallu. Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been shared before,

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-august-19-2009/shah-rukh-khan-detained-at-newark

I don't exactly know how I should respond to it. It's meant to be funny and Indian guy did it for me but what about Stewart's comment hinting it's publicity or Shahrukh should have been recognised. -Has he appeared on Sopranas or in Bon Jovi? etc. I shall take it as light-hearted humour I guess.

shallu.

13. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

Yeah it's been posted but not the whole episode.

Take it lighty because Jon makes fun of ANYTHING goes...

You know, it's not a difficulty of being a Khan, rather, it's a difficulty of being a brown, Muslim, etc.

14. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

Exactly! I don't believe this "story" at all. I was even little surprised when they came out saying (the IS immigration) that they "don't do racial profilin". I mean it is a well known fact all around the world that they do it, so I didn't think they would bother denying it... It's well known fact even by those who aren't exactly high on their list of suspects... :rolleyes:

15. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

:lalala::lalala::lalala:
    im so tired of this

next "breaking news" please :tsk:

16. mumbiene

mumbiene Well-Known Member

Shah Rukh’s detention had an underworld twist?
    Updated on Saturday, August 22, 2009, 13:16 IST Spicezee Bureau

Mumbai: Superstar Shah Rukh Khan’s detention issue is apparently turning out to be nothing less than a Bollywood potboiler. The latest angle to the same suggests that the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) might have detained Khan at the Newark Liberty International Airport last week because the organisers of his show in the US were apparently under US scrutiny.

According to reports, the organisers of the show SRK had gone to attend were not above the watermarks of controversies, including underworld links. Farhath Hussain, the promoter of the show, who is a businessman from London, as well his brother Altaf Hussain, a Chicago-based businessman who runs ‘Lake County South Asian Entertainment Inc’ are under US suspicion on counts of tax evasion and underworld links, as suggested by a news daily.

The newspaper report goes on to say that there are other promoters too along with Lake County South Asian Entertainment Inc and some of them are on the radar of authorities in the US, UK and India. It was this piece of information on the radar that forced the CBP to ask Khan to step aside for detailed questioning. It can be said that this is probably why the CPB refused to let go Khan despite the representatives of the organisers of the show were standing in to acknowledge the superstar`s identity and the status he enjoys in India.

Now, if one is to believe this version, then all of other versions hinting at Khan being a `victim` of racial profiling will be null and void.
    http://spicezee.zeenews.com/articles/story38829.htm

17. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

can all the detention threads be combined with the main one?

18. Pompula

Pompula Shahrukh Fan-Girl

I have been thinking the same... It's getting confusing...

19. JUG

JUG Well-Known Member

why cant we just close this thread...its becoming pretty depressing and not to forget totally pointless :( :( i love you shahrukh

20. Bridget

I think this person on LiveMint (a division of USA's newspaper Wall Street Journal) makes some good points to all those that critize some aspect of this unfortunate occurrence at the airport with SRK:

My (humble) 8-point reaction to Shah Rukh Khan's detention
    Priya Ramani - Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:50 PM

Now that we've stopped breathing fire and yelling everyone who opposes our point of view on actor Shah Rukh Khan's detention in Newark, here's my take on the matter.

1. Vivek Oberoi may need publicity. SRK certainly doesn't. He's big in India. And he's certainly big overseas. If you look at the last few decades of Bollywood's overseas box office figures, thanks to Karan Johar and the Yash Raj slew of films, SRK is our biggest star ever in the US.

2. SRK rarely wears his Muslim identity on his sleeve. He has repeatedly said he stands for young, educated India, more than for any single community. SRK is the poster boy of Consumer India, not Muslim India. That is why, even at Newark, SRK never used the word Muslim. I think he intentionally avoided it. All of Bollywood's three Khans are educated, liberal Muslims. They don't want to be in a situation where they are made the poster boys of right wing groups who believe the US hates all Muslims.

3. Of course, Muslims from all countries have been discriminated against in US airports. There's enough documentation to prove this. And personally, I don't believe that random checks at airports are really random. Random checks, I would think, are done randomly, but within certain parameters that constitute a high risk group.

4 SRK's film My Name Is Khan doesn't release till next year anyway. Why would he start the publicity blitz now?

5. I can understand if they didn't recognize him in Minnesota or Milwaukee (altho, when we travelled the world last year, they had heard of him in Machu Pichu too). But this was Newark, the queen of all Little Indias in the US. You can smell the curry in the air from the neighbouring states. Half the airport was probably full of Indians and Pakistanis. Even if the boys who detained him hadn't heard of Bollywood, there were zillions of people in their vicinity who would have seen all of SRK's films. Detain him sure, but why would it take so long to ascertain his identity? Doesn't homeland security have access to Google?

6. SRK and the underworld? Please, I think you're mistaking him for Sanjay Dutt now.

7. SRK said he was travelling with around 10 or so people and all their 22 or so bags went missing. Yet none of them were detained. I believe him. He has a better track record than the US government anyway.

8. If this is a publicity stunt, what has SRK got out of it pray explain to me?

http://blogs.livemint.com/blogs/fir...t-reaction-to-shah-rukh-khan-s-detention.aspx