1. FORUM IS READ ONLY

Please read this thread!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE YEARS.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport

Discussion in 'Shah Rukh Khan Dhamaal' started by sheruka, Aug 14, 2009.

1. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

Re: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

OMG!!
    THAT IS JUST STUPID! :mad2::mad2:

he has been there many times, why would they stop him!? JUST BECAUSE HE IS MUSLIM! :mad2: and whats funny is that, he is doing a movie about this kind of behavior! :yell:

just because he is a KHAN does NOT make him a bad guy idiots!

YES ShahRukh, do not go there anymore!
    they have a problem with every Muslim they see, if they dont stop you this year, then it has to be the next! :tape2:
    ive heard stories about stoping Muslims and they are all disgusting, im glad they ONLY questioned him, not humiliated him in from of other people

2. phul

phul SRK my heart my soul

AW: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

Bollywood icon detained at US airport for ‘Khan’ surname
    by Neeraj Gangal on Saturday, 15 August 2009

KING KHAN: Khan, who is in the US to celebrate India’s Independence Day was in transit to Chicago.(Getty Images)Indian film icon Shah Rukh Khan was detained and questioned for two hours at an American airport on Friday night, according to a report.

The Hindi film superstar Shah Rukh Khan was detained and questioned for two hours at the Newark Airport, New Jersey. The actor, who is in the US to celebrate India’s Independence Day was in transit to Chicago.

“He was detained because his surname is Khan. He was kept until officials from the Indian embassy intervened. Now he has been released," Niloufer Qureshi, Shah Rukh Khan's manager, told newswire IANS over telephone from Mumbai.

Speaking to the CNN-IBN news channel from the US, the actor said: “It was in Newark where I was detained for questioning. It was because they said my name was common to some name that popped up on the computer. They were asking me silly questions like if I knew someone in the US who could vouch for me, if I could give them numbers of people they could get in touch with,” he said.

“I had all the documents; they were asking me where I was going to be staying. I gave the name of FOX [studios] people with whom I had finalised a deal a few days ago as contacts. I kept on giving numbers. They wanted to know why I came here,” he said.

The actor was recognised by Indian and Pakistani staff at the airport, but was released only after Indian Embassy officials vouched for him.

Last week, Fox Star Studios said it had signed a deal to finance and distribute ‘My Name is Khan’, a film starring Shah Rukh Khan. The film is about an Indian Muslim in San Francisco embarking on a journey across the US.

Fox Star Studios, a joint venture between Twentieth Century Fox and Star India, will distribute the film in India while Fox will release the film elsewhere.

Khan’s friends and some members of the Bollywood film fraternity have expressed surprise and shock over the incident, arguing “why it took two hours” to ascertain the global film icon’s identity.

Just a “Google search” for the 43-year-old actor’s name would have produced a huge number of results, film director Kabir Khan told the NDTV news channel
    . Kabir Khan has directed the recent hit film, 'New York'.

In July, Khan was presented an honorary doctorate in arts and culture by the UK’s Bedfordshire University. A wax statue of the actor also features at the Madame Tussauds museum in London.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/564835-bollywood-icon-detained-at-us-airport-for-khan-surname

3. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

It's a sick treatment and I think it was done deliberately. When we traveled to New York from Bangladesh, they kept us in a waiting room for 4 hours! It was horrible.

Shahrukh, please get some sleep now, you must be tired...

That officer should ask for forgiveness, Indian government must take action about them because it has been done earlier too and this is just too much!

4. phul

I have written that in blue because it is so damn it true only a short search on google and they had know who Shah Rukh Khan is :mad:

5. phul

AW: Re: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

OMG Rumana i feel bad for you and your family that you have to suffer this.:hug: That is not fair that inocent peopel have to suffer such things.

6. luxia

luxia I'm demented...

This is fishing outrageous!!!! :mad2:

7. bluey[Ru]

bluey[Ru] Guest

and whats even MORE FUNNY, is that by stopping Shah Rukh KHAN who is probably the ONLY FAMOUS BOLLYWOOD ACTOR in the USA, they made a HUGE problem! no media in the world will stop talking about it, because they know that Shah Rukh KHAN is a very anti-violence human being, they all know that Shah Rukh KHAN is a GOOD human being who never hurt anyone, they all know that Shah Rukh KHAN has been spreading around happiness and kindness in this ugly dark world that now SHAH RUKH KHAN is a very important person to the WORLD..

i salute you USA people for doing this kind of action towards a person who has done nothing but goodness towards everyone around the world including YOU!

8. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

Re: AW: Re: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

Only my mother and I were traveling and we were soooooo glad that my cousin waited that long to take us home. :)
    Those "officers" don't even look at you and behave as if they are this and that and you are NOTHING.

They are nothing but a bunch of :tape2:

9. phul

You are right Rumana they are really nothing. To dumb to use google.:mad:

Ru you has spoke out what i have in my heart. You are so absolutely right. With all you have said.

10. Dea

Dea ♥SRK-Gauri♥

:suspicious:
    ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDIN ME?! :rant:

11. starstuff

starstuff Well-Known Member

I have listened to the IBN interview a few times now. I am so disturbed. Our Shah Rukh is trying to make light of the issue but it is clear he feels deeply hurt and humiliated and very, very unwelcome. His American fans must be so distraught on his behalf b/c they would welcome him with open arms but clearly Immigration does not like his last name and it was very upsetting to hear him say this has happened repeatedly over the last 4-5 years.

Can you imagine anyone NOT welcoming this amazing man into their country or their home? I would feel so honoured. But he is made to feel like an outsider, a suspect and just from the way he speaks about his experiences travelling in America, it is clear, they have been deeply upsetting.

One of the things that hurt the most is that
    HE'S ALREADY PREPARING TO BE SEARCHED TOMORROW MORNING when he has to travel domestic. Why should that be? Can anyone possibly explain that to me? He's visited America with goodness in his heart, as Ru so beautifully said, and yet he's treated with suspicion and condescension. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

12. shublee

shublee ~ShahRukhaholic

That is the most stupidest thing the us immigration officer could do :mad2:
    just because SRK's last name is Khan :rant:

13. darina4srk

darina4srk SRKManiac

Bollywood reacts; feels terrible about Shah Rukh’s detention episode

Updated on Saturday, August 15, 2009, 14:59 IST

Spicezee Bureau

Mumbai: Soon after Shah Rukh Khan got detained for as long as two hours early on Saturday at the Newark airport in the US for having ‘Khan’ as his last name, the Bollywood bigwigs came out reacting strongly to the episode. Being SRK’s close friend and also the director of his upcoming film ‘My Name Is Khan’, Karan Johar said, “I’m shocked and upset...feeling terrible for Shah Rukh.”

While speaking to a news channel, Karan said, “Initial media reports said that he was ‘arrested’, it was awful. There’s a sense of humiliation and embarrassment. I mean being who he is, I don’t understand why he had to go through something like this.”

On the other hand, reacting strongly to what happened with Shah Rukh, actress Priyanka Chopra posted on Twitter, “Shocking, disturbing and downright disgraceful. It’s such behaviour that fuels hatred and racism. SRK's a world figure for God’s sake. GET REAL!!”

Music director Vishal Dadlani (of Vishal-Shekhar fame) also posted, “This is plain silly!! I mean, a quick internet search would tell them what they need to know about SRK!! Paranoia breeds stupidity, I guess!”

Meanwhile, talking to a news channel about the incident, Shah Rukh said, “The US has developed religious paranoia over the years. My guard was also denied a visa because he has the same last name as mine. They said I can’t use my phone.”

Shah Rukh was released after Indian embassy officials vouched for him. He was in the US to attend Independence Day celebrations.

Several Bollywood celebs are in the US for Independence Day celebrations, including Katrina Kaif, Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan.

http://spicezee.zeenews.com/articles/story38189.htm

14. sonataca

sonataca SRK's Mommy

I am sorry, being an US citizen, and being already through this kind of episode, I am really sorry Shahrukh, please take care and don't worry that man will apologize to you very soon.

15. darina4srk

darina4srk SRKManiac

Shahrukh Khan says stopped at US airport

NEW DELHI — Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan said he was detained for questioning Saturday at a US airport because he has a Muslim name.

Khan, known as the "King of Bollywood", said he was questioned at Newark Airport in Newark, New Jersey, for two hours but was let go after the Indian embassy in the United States intervened.

Khan "is a Muslim name and I think the name is common on their checklist", the 43-year-old actor told an Indian television station by telephone from Chicago.

Khan, named as one of the top 50 most influential men in the world in 2008 by US magazine Newsweek, was detained by US immigration officers early Saturday.

The immigration officers wanted to know why the actor was visiting the United States after his name popped up on the computer screen at the counter.

"I was waiting for my bags... I thought it was nice of them to take me to another room... but that was apparently a second check," Khan said, adding: "I had my papers in order."

"I was really taken aback," Khan told the CNN-IBN television station.

"I did not want to say anything just in case they took everything wrong because I am little worried about Americans because they do have this issue when your name is Muslim," he added.

US airport officials are frequently accused by human rights groups of racially profiling Muslims.

The actor, who was heading to Chicago to take part in celebrations Saturday to mark India's Independence Day, said the incident was a "little embarrassing" for an entertainer of his stature.

India's government reacted sharply, saying many such incidents have taken place in the United States.

"I am of the opinion that the way we are frisked -- for example I too was frisked -- we should also do the same to them," Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters in New Delhi.

In the Indian capital, US Ambassador Timothy Roemer described Khan in a statement as a "global icon" who is a welcome guest in the United States.

"We are trying to ascertain the facts of the case -- to understand what took place," he said.

Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iKVkUpEyEnprYKsiOjcexBS3KH-Q

16. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Here's a new video that has Shahrukh himself talking about this on the phone to NDTV

It's long at almost 10 minutes

This is not the first time: SRK to NDTV
    9 min 54 sec

Saturday, Aug 15, 2009
    Speaking exclusively to NDTV over the detention episode, Shah Rukh Khan said his name popped up on their computer screen and he was taken for questioning for two hours. He added that this wasn't the first time

see it at

http://www.ndtv.com/news/videos/video_player.php?id=1145761

17. Bridget

I don't know what happened to my first post (not the 1 above here..the one where I said my reaction of surprise about hearing this news so late at night here) on this thread??...maybe because there are 2 threads on this subject?

Anyways...
    New NDTV video that has Karan Johar talking about what happened with SRK

Saturday, Aug 15, 2009 , India
    Reacting to the detention of Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan at a US airport, Karan Johar said he was shocked at the incident.

see video at

http://www.ndtv.com/news/videos/video_player.php?id=1145677

18. prilvsrk

prilvsrk ♥tere liye♥

this is sooo freaking sick.... what a bloody ass joke! oh man.. i am soo saddened by this horrible incident.. and im just listening to his cnn-ibn interview.. and its like so scary... and he also sounds sort of shaken up as well.
    this is SICK!

19. Pedi

Pedi Well-Known Member

AW: Re: Breaking News: SRK detained for questioning at US airport::eek:

Yes, Bridget - it`s because we have in the moment two threads - your first post is here http://www.planetsrk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21582

20. Bridget

Yep, I thought that would pop up too when I first started reading all the stories online about this unfortunate occurrence. And already here is the first one of those types of stories I've seen....

Shah Rukh detained in US: Publicity gimmick?
    Posted on August 15th, 2009 in Bollywood News
    By Eugene Desiree
    Mumbai: Recent news reported Bollywood King Khan has been detained by US airport authorities. Shah Rukh Khan is no doubt a global icon and his detention has invited much attention.

shah-rukh-detained-in-us-publicity-gimmick

Shah Rukh was detained and questioned at the Newark Airport on his way to Chicago to attend the Indian Independence day celebration. The reason sounds funny but, it was his surname Khan which caused the whole trouble.

Shah Rukh had to remain with the officials till the time the Indian Embassy came to intervene. Now, whether this was really a case of mistaken identity or religious discrimination or a simple publicity gimmick. We don’t know.

But Shah Rukh’s detention for being a Khan prior to his film My name is Khan sounds pretty weird.

Though this kind of tactics is not new in Bollywood.

http://www.duniyalive.com/?p=54016